Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you celebrate your sims' birthdays?

pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
Because tomorrow is my actual birthday...I plan on spending my day doing a whole lot of playing with my sims. So that means probably having a few birthdays in the timespan of play. What I want to know is how everyone celebrates their sims' birthdays. Do they throw intimate dinner parties? How about a big ole shindig? For me, it depends on how I am playing...if it's legacy style, and it's an heir's birthday, I go all out. If it's just someone else in the family...I just let them age up on their own...without the cake and fanfare. Yeah, I can be mean like that. Tell me...How do you do it? P.S. No gifts please! LOL! :D
Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I usually just ignore them and let them age up.
    I'm such a party pooper XD
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    I usually just ignore them and let them age up.
    I'm such a party pooper XD

LOL :p You are a party pooper! But, that's okay...I am always interested in everyone's style of play. So...I actually kind of think it's funny if they're ignored...sometimes!
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I play sims with all kinds of temperaments and socialization patterns within the same game. Some will want and get medium to large sized parties, for others a cake with a few close friends and family members around is plenty. For very large families, I try to schedule such things out so that multiple birthdays of different family members at different age stages can be celebrated at the same time, otherwise even on long age spans it seems like every other day can become cake/party day. Inactives whom I am playing in rotation do not age while not being played (NRaas SP), so I never miss a birthday.

I remember early on in my game I had a sim who was pretty much a loner and preferred his own company so I ignored his first in-game birthday and let him age spin on his own. I felt like such a horrible person/player for having done that and still feel guilty about it, so I will never do it again. Even babies to toddlers get some kind of celebration however small. :/

And yet when it's my birthday IRL, I appreciate fond greetings but would really rather be left alone myself. Go figure. But the odds are (five times out of seven) it's going to be a workday for me anyway.

Happy birthday, @pisceschick75. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Firstly it depends on the age: babies and toddlers are just aged up by me(through MC) when I feel that they can get older now. Children get a birthday cake and eat it together with the family members.
    Teens get just a cake or they get a party or a sleepover, depending on their characters!
    Becoming a young adult is celebrated as big as it is possible (without crashing ;) ), mostly at a nice venue like a lounge or a disco. There is no possibility for my loners to avoid the party!
    IRL I want to be on my own like igazor, (next week I have a few days off :p ) but greetings from my family and friends are strongly appreciated and I´m very disappointed if someone forgets my birthday!
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Happy Birthday, @pisceschick75 !

I'm with @igazor . Depending on the sim and my mood, I'll have just a cake with the family or throw a big party at a venue. Toddlers and Babies are usually aged up with just a cake.

Sometimes, I throw parties when sims achieve some career tracks, an extra prom night or just to have the relatives around. I found that parties are a great way to maintain a great number of sims's relationships at once.
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    I wasn't aware that you could throw parties at venues.. How is it done?
    23rif7.gif
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    @AuzzPanda I believe you can select where you want your party to be once you get to the party setup screen? It's been awhile since I threw a party at a venue.

I almost always play legacy style, so I always throw parties and invite extended family over. I love getting all my sims back together again for a celebration and seeing new family members!
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @AuzzPanda : go to your inventory, click on your phone, there you´ll get the options "throw a party" and "throw a party at venue" (or so, don´t play my game in English), click on "throw a party at venue" and the program asks you which lot you like to chose, then the normal paty invitation screen kicks in. But be aware that some venues open late so begin your party there later, otherwise the guests will leave again.
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    @pandabear1836
    @AlexaKry
    Ah, I see, thanks I appreciate it! I'll give it a shot
    23rif7.gif
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I am not big on birthdays IRL and it is no different in my game. Babies and toddlers get aged up with MC (with a few exceptions), usually on their own as my sims are left to freewill and they wander off and do their own thing. Children and older get cakes but no parties. My households are usually pretty full so there's plenty of sims to cheer them on when they age up.
    Here's a recent birthday in my current save :)
    33024289638_1bea3a1823_o.jpg

Happy birthday @pisceschick75 :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2019
    First, congratulations! In my country your birthday started 51 minutes ago ;)
    Second, I never celebrate my sims’ birthdays other than the usual cheering and clapping and blowing party horns and rattling noise-makers. I never throw a party for them I fear ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Happy birthday, @pisceschick75.

I don't much like chaotic sims parties, so my sims get a birthday cake with only their own household present, unless a schoolmate has come home after school with one of the children or teens. Then the child or teen will be invited to stay for dinner and the birthday. I try to do it when all household members are present, but when one of the parents is working an afternoon job, that is only possible if it's that parent's day off. Sometimes I'll have that parent take the day off without pay, but most of the time, they just have to go ahead without them. I don't ever age anybody up on a day other than their actual birthday, so there's no waiting for somebody to have a day off.

Babies don't get a cake for their toddler birthday, because they can't eat it. Instead, I just have the family members, or at least both parents, stand nearby, doing nothing (on low free will), but so they will be there for the littlest members of the family on their special day.

If my household is well enough off, I will buy the birthday person a gift or two, but I don't usually have anybody in the household go through the interaction of giving it to them. I just buy it for them and put it in their room or personal inventory, or on a bicycle rack or car parking space, or wherever it needs to go for them to use it.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Depends what age they are, if toddler/child we go to the community center or park or arcade with childrens area, if teenager we go to the arcade or bowling alley or the beach or something, young adult to bar or club etc :) it also depends on my sim and their personality. My current sim likes to spend her birthday at home with her man
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I don't much like chaotic sims parties
    This is, of course, a player preference but I love chaotic sims parties. Up to a point, I mean I don't want all of my sims ruining their otherwise perfect relationships if they have them or anything like that. Making order out of measured amounts of chaos is more than half of the fun of this game to me. If I suddenly announce out loud, to no one in particular, "Okay that's it, I have officially lost control of this situation!" whatever it is, it means I am having a pretty good time playing and fighting to get things back under control. :)

IreneSwift wrote: »
    Babies don't get a cake for their toddler birthday, because they can't eat it.
    Sure they can. Not by the slice exactly but once they have aged up to toddler, they can be served pureed cake prepared as baby food. That probably doesn't mean much to the toddler or their parents, but it does to me. There's plenty of time for more nutritious and satisfying forms of baby food later on.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't celebrate their birthdays. They just age up when I let them. I'm not sure why, but celebrations are just not a priority of mine :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I like throwing birthday parties for sims ages infant to young adult.

I use the gazebo small park from Riverview for all my parties which I place in other worlds. The gazebo is big enough to put a stereo, and three tables with four chairs each (there's already a picnic table at the park, so there's a total of 16 spaces for seating). I put one table in the middle for the birthday. I put two other tables off to the side next to the stereo for two entrees. I start the party off by having my active sims turn on the stereo and dance. I get guests to start dancing as they arrive. This goes on for about an hour, hour-and-a half.

Then I use the "Call to Meal" mod by Icarus_AllSorts which lets you set the tables quickly with food and pick the guests to seat. This way, no one crowds around the dish to get their own meal - it's already set, and they already know where to sit. It's so enjoyable and convenient to see everybody sitting together in tables and eating (and talking to each other) all at the same time! I always make more meals than 8 to account for any party crashers and also the people that may already be in the park (I can make the party exclusive and not let anyone else use the park during the party, but I like having all the extra people there).

After the meal, the birthday person gets to age up and cut the cake. That's the only time the sims crowd around the center table but there's so much space that's it's not too much of a problem. And afterwards, I have them dance some more. Guests always have a good time!

For adult to elderly birthdays, I just have family celebrate it at the sim's home. I get really sad emotionally because I know this is it for them.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I'm an introvert, thus my sims' birthday parties are spent at home enjoying their "special day" with their family. No big parties.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    Buy a cake. Age them up. Edit appearence and outfit. Next household.
  • Stardust123Stardust123 Posts: 127 Member
    I put a table in the middle of the room with a cake, get a few people to come around and age up my sims that way. Might actually throw a full on party when they become a Young Adult though
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I guess I'm a huge party pooper, or maybe just completely unsentimental. I never celebrate my sims' birthdays or even buy them a cake. I don't like parties in real life or in-game—all the moving parts make me uncomfortable. So my sims age up on their own, when the game forces the transition, and then they move on with lives. Toddlers, children, and teens learn a newly unlocked skill (a much more enjoyable activity in my opinion, anyway), and YAs go find themselves a job.

Besides, on my old computer, an overstuffed household with 10-12 party guests was a recipe for disaster. I can't remember exactly, since it's been years since I stopped throwing them, but I suspect my dislike of TS3 parties stems at least in part from the lag they must have produced. Now though, it's not an issue. I did have a wedding party a while back, since there were only two sims in the active household, and it wasn't so bad. But a party for every birthday for every sim would still be far too much for me.
  • Stardust123Stardust123 Posts: 127 Member
    Yeah a party for every birthday is hard, I'm doing that in my current legacy but it might change in the future... there's just too much going on lol

My old pc used to lag as well, it was difficult to have more than 10 sims in the house and with the sims 3 being so buggy I'm sure that makes it more difficult
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I usually age sims up with MasterController, not a cake. Sometimes I'll gather the family around if the sims is aging to a teen or older, sometimes not. Depends on the game. With larger households (above 14) I tend to age sims up in such a way that the birthday doesn't affect the action queues of the rest of the household. OTOH, if the 'main' sim in a game ages up I'll throw them a party at a venue, but that's rare.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Depends on the sims and their purse. For the humbler families, I might have the husband orchestrate a surprise at-home celebration, and afterwards they go out for a meal.

For the twins of my founder sim (My favourite children. Oops.) I had their initial ageing-up from child to teen at a outdoor venue, and then afterwards they got to party on a yacht.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I generally play legacy style, so for toddler>child and child>teen I'll throw a party and invite over friends and extended family. But then I don't use the cake to age up, but a cheat. I've got a perfectly good plate of Perfect Vegetarian Grilled Salmon right over there, don't you dare fill up on cake!! Baby>toddler is usually a cake with just the household. Teen>YA is usually a party at home with their friends (and future spouse), so I can make them age up as well via cheats. Also I'll have to spend some time in MC:Stylist to make sure everybody has presentable clothes.

YA>Adult, or Adult>Elder, they generally just age up on their own.
  • Foxy_Foxy_ Posts: 37 Member
    it depends on how much i like the sim if i like them a lot ill put on a big party at my house and if i dont ill just age them up xD