March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to create a mod, I don't know where to start.

Hi, I'm very new to modding and don't know a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about programing anything. But I have been able to understand how scripts works so if I just get the push in the right direction I could probably teach myself... I hope...

So here is the idé. I want to create a mod that basicly adds foodbabies into the game.
  1. When a sim is overeating they should get the moodlet "Stuffed"
  2. When a sim has the moodlet "Stuffed". I want it to look like if they were pregnant.

Where should I begin? Should I start by creating a moodlet, if so, how does the moodlets work?
A million thanks to the one who could help me!

Comments

• AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    I would suggest looking at the Sims 4 Mod Constructor by zerbu if you want to work with buffs (moodlets) for a start. There is probably a way to tell the game to trigger the pregnancy morph when your Stuffed moodlet is present. Perhaps try looking at how the exisiting preganancy buffs work.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    Oh, That's such a cute idea! Good luck!
  • FurkeanFurkean Posts: 177 Member
    But what if want to make a much complex mod, then where to start? Im looking everywhere in this forum but i dont see anything for dummies like me :(:(
  • Raze99Raze99 Posts: 7 New Member
    Furkean wrote: »
    But what if want to make a much complex mod, then where to start? Im looking everywhere in this forum but i dont see anything for dummies like me :(:(

I suggest you start with something small, like me and try to learn on the way. Maybe there is a part of your bigger mod that could work on its own. Something that's more easy to create!
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    Raze99 wrote: »
    Furkean wrote: »

I suggest you start with something small, like me and try to learn on the way. Maybe there is a part of your bigger mod that could work on its own. Something that's more easy to create!

How's that going, by the way? Have you had any luck finding the information you need to get started?
    I'm looking around, learning the program. I've got one question. Is there any way for me to take an excisting buff and look at the code / edit it. I've only been able to create my own buffs.

I basicly want to look at the pregnancy buff and see what's in it and what triggers the pregnancy morph.
    > @Alistu said:
    > I would suggest looking at the Sims 4 Mod Constructor by zerbu if you want to work with buffs (moodlets) for a start. There is probably a way to tell the game to trigger the pregnancy morph when your Stuffed moodlet is present. Perhaps try looking at how the exisiting preganancy buffs work.

Do you know what I could do?
  • AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    @Raze99
    You could use Sims 4 Studio for that.

Open Studio and on the very first page (after entering a creator name if you haven't already) go to the toolbar at the top and select Tools > Create Empty Package. Give the file a name when prompted and then you should be presented with an empty Warehouse view of Studio.

Now go back to the toolbar and select Tools> Extract Tuning...
    In the window that pops up, enter the words you want to search for into the search bar at the top. Only use one search term at a time as Studio tries to match the text exactly. The screen should auto-populate with a list of all the game tunings with the matching word in their name.

The tricky part is knowing which of these results you will want to be looking at. It looks as though searching for "pregnancy" and "trimester" might be your best bets.

Once you have a result you want to look at closer, select it and click on the Add To Current Package button at the bottom right corner. You can add as many as you want to the same package if there are more than one you would like to look at. It will save you having to reopen the tuning extractor each time.

Close the Extract Tuning window and the tuning files will now be in the package for you to look at. Select them on the left and read the contents on the right.
    You may notice you also get Sim Data resources added to the package. This is normal. They work in combination with the extracted tuning. Certain data, for example age and gender flags, have to be set the same between the two files.

You can save the package if you want to be able to come back to it later otherwise you can just close Studio when you are done and you will be left with the original blank package you created at the start.

Beyond these steps on how to obtain the tuning I won't be able to help with understanding them I'm afraid if you have any issues there. Whenever I have worked with tuning files I've just done a lot of visual comparison and made test packages to try things out in game.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?