Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Burned Food :p

It's dinnertime...all the sims in your household are STARVING...so you promptly send one of them to cook dinner.

But uh oh, their cooking level is low and they burn the food. :unamused:

burned-food.jpg

The adults are holding their bellies and whining and the kids and babies are screaming with hunger...

*Do you go ahead and feed them the burned food OR.........?

Let me know below. :)
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Burned Food :p 96 votes

I go ahead and serve them the burned food. They're all starving and one nasty meal won't kill them.
31%
winkeljohn78Emily4331Hejixjaletu2005GraceyManorelanorbretonAnmirlaParydreamerz13monjr8302skybakeremorrilllisasc360NBalchemistAllysaNellieBettyboop55TrashmagicSigzy05MoonandStars83shnaileh 30 votes
I don't usually like to feed my sims burned food, but...they won't shut up! I need them happy pronto!
8%
carlystur03SavvySimmieRedShoe7tretheraSummerRoxyTalonflareViciaNocturnaSimexpert123 8 votes
I instantly have them trash it! My sims will NEVER eat burned food! Pizza anyone?
26%
EvalenstoryydragonfreakcwaddellmlmeadowsjillbgGabbyGirlJRamendemonstarguruKylieb191GemSixxIreneSwiftSindocatTreyNutzcocoZeeGeeBerryCharmingjordandFlapMcTosh 25 votes
In this case I just cheat to raise their hunger bar up and have a sim trash the food. It's all good! ;-)
11%
AmphoraCororonsof2106EricasFreePlayTinySpaceFoxTeslachick2ClarionOfJoyChi5678afai1261CheetahAlyssaxstxrrysequence 11 votes
Oh hey! This might make good toddler food! =D It's not burned once it's pureed with other stuff!
0%
Other (Please explain)
22%
bklienhartStormkeepMamaSimTeeSillyhartluvMikezumiJoAnne65SimplyJenhellokitty1496igazorCravenLestatTadOlsonthuggishsplicerBreazonaLinamintsSunnyyesjamslowpolygalpuzzlezaddictBrandontaylorAuroraskiesSatanu_Reeves 22 votes

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited January 2019
    Other (Please explain)
    My sims never go into the red with hunger as perfect meals are eaten twice a day which keeps them satisfied.
    Meals are cooked well in advance so if one gets burned there's time to prepare another. My sims have eaten sushi or salad when time has been limited but pizza is out of the question as the quality is not to my liking. That goes for quick meals - they are NEVER eaten in my sim homes. My sims have ordered pizza on a few occasions but it's usually because a wish has been rolled and I am all about the wishes.
    I know my play style wouldn't suit everyone but my sims are there for only one reason - genetics - so they live charmed lives ;)
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Other (Please explain)

Other:My SS is a natural cook so do not have to worry about it. :p Cooking is one of my favorite things in sims the more food stuff recipes and premium content the better.And having a nice kitchen is important even if the rest of the house is lame.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    This is going to depend on the household. First of all, sims get 24 hours of the super strong, urgent Hunger moodlet before something horrible happens. In the rare cases where the entire household is that hungry all at once, the children and older can each have a piece of fruit, which I would always have in stock even if nothing else, to tide them over while a more permanent solution is worked on.

If the household has one sim with decent cooking skill available, then they take over. If not, then it's either pizza delivery or the Unskilled Klutz/Chef of the Day tries again with something that is impossible to burn like Autumn Salad or Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. If those don't turn out edible either or maybe instead, if they can afford it, some or all of them go out to eat or hit up a local Bakery Display for some takeout platters as many of mine by way of the NRaas Cupcake mod carry regular full meals in addition to baked goods.

But no one eats burned, spoiled, or horrifying quality food unless there really is no alternative available or the sims preparing it have the Evil trait and are only pretending to be kind to their fellow household members and guests -- this remote possibility is why I had to go with "Other."

TCE to cheat the hunger motive would only be for when something unexpected and surprisingly wrong happened with the game, not typically to compensate for poor planning. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited January 2019
    I instantly have them trash it! My sims will NEVER eat burned food! Pizza anyone?
    For me, burned food only happens in early games with new CAS sims. I always start my games with a single sim or perhaps 2 sims in a steady relationship, not with a family. One of those sims will eventually learn cooking. or learn enough advanced technology to get good meals out of the food synthesizer. By the time I have a large family with children and teens in the mix I have someone preparing perfect quality group meals way ahead of time. So essentially everyone always eats leftovers by that point. But, for that occasional new sim straight out of CAS who burns a meal, I have them trash the burnt food and either try cooking the meal again if they have time, or switch to autumn salad or a quick meal if they need to get to bed or work or class or something.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    In general my sims don't eat pizza but they never eat burnt food. In the unlikely situation that you have purposed I would have them eat a quick meal or fruit. I make autumn salad my main sims's favorite and many of the other created sims so I almost never have a burnt meal. My sims eat a lot of autumn salad, pancakes made with apples, apples from their inventory, mac and cheese and waffles. :)
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My sims don't get pizza if they burned a meal. Instead, they try again. But when I'm first starting out with a new sim, I almost always have them start with autumn salad for their first meal. Then they can eat leftovers of that if they burn subsequent meals, even for breakfast. By the time the leftovers are gone, they are high enough in cooking skill that they don't burn food anymore. Since every bookcase comes with a cooking skill book, they can read that if they need to, to get their skill up. If they don't have a bookcase, I'll send them to the library to read the book.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I go ahead and serve them the burned food. They're all starving and one nasty meal won't kill them.
    I'm probably screaming at them to just eat the food in front of them (in stronger, not forum friendly, wording) too. Like I don't care if it's burnt there's food in front of you just eat it. Stop whining. I have no patience for my sims incompetence.

Thankfully I don't have new sims very often to worry about. It's all long running games and everybody is very good at cooking after so long. Except Alex. He still can't even microwave hot dogs. But his wife is a fantastic cook so she does all the cooking. Or the butler when she's not around because the kids should not eat dad's cooking. :/.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    If that happens, I rarely feed them with the horrifying food, instead, they eat fruit, quick meals (like juice, soup or cereal) or I have them wait for the cook to make something they know like autumn salad or a sandwich.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    There is a rule in my sim households - You burn it, you eat it.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • spongebobspongebob Posts: 38 Member
    wow, so many people voted to give them the burnt food... i could never!
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I remember a moodlet about wasting food if trashed. It doesn't apply to burnt food, but still, it stuck with me. In rl, when you burn food, you usually try to eat it anyway. ;P My sims aren't different.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    In this case I just cheat to raise their hunger bar up and have a sim trash the food. It's all good! ;-)
    Typically I just cheat to raise their hunger, especially if they need to head off to work quick. If I’m not that pressed for time, though, I may make them have a quick meal or even try cooking again.

Oh, and one more thing: laugh at their misery and take pics :tongue:
    KiWzZIc.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Burnt meals are unfortunate, and I rarely make my Sims eat them anyway. Generally, I have them clean up the mess, and make due with a Quick Meal from the fridge so they aren't in the red. I usually don't wait until Sims are hungry before I start cooking, though, and usually cook more than my household eats in a sitting. Not all meals are perfect (in fact, they seldom are) but there is USUALLY left-overs of each Sim's particular favorite in the fridge. I don't go "oh, people are hungry - time to cook!" I go "oh, it's morning - I can have Sim X make Pancakes for later."

So if a Sim is burning food, it's because they are unpracticed, and not my usual cook, but have a Wish to Improve Cooking Skill. Once hunger is sated, I may well send them back to the kitchen for another attempt, until they get it right.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    Other (Please explain)
    I said "other" because I would have the sim cook a new meal. I would not immediately trash it though...throwing it away can wait until a real meal is prepared.
    I actually would never have this happen in the first places; I never have an active sim with such a low cooking skill prepare a meal desperately needed by the whole household. Getting a cooking skill with a few points on a sim is nearly my top priority in any household I play, and I do it when the sims are NOT desperately hungry, so that once it is a hunger-need thing, they won't be burning things.

I also always prepare meals ahead of time and have left-overs in the refrigerator. And, in desperate situations where there are no leftovers its easy enough to eat an apple (or whatever other produce is lieing around) to tide them over until a real meal that is decent quality is ready...as @Igazor said, you have quite a long time once the hunger sets in before it's actually damaging.

I don't think I've had a sim burn a meal needed to feed hungry sims since the original the Sims 1. . .
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    Ok, so maaaaybe I went a little overboard with the scenario. :p I was just being silly and really curious how you all dealt with burned food. :lol:
    (Gosh try as I may to make these polls perfect...I just can't! ;):p )

@Mikezumi I thought of you when typing the 3rd option ;) because I know how you feel about burned food and how you'd never serve it to your lovely sims. I appreciate your explanation on how very well you take care of them. :blush: And I am always impressed by your sims genetics! :star:

@igazor
    This is going to depend on the household. First of all, sims get 24 hours of the super strong, urgent Hunger moodlet before something horrible happens. In the rare cases where the entire household is that hungry all at once, the children and older can each have a piece of fruit, which I would always have in stock even if nothing else, to tide them over while a more permanent solution is worked on.

If the household has one sim with decent cooking skill available, then they take over. If not, then it's either pizza delivery or the Unskilled Klutz/Chef of the Day tries again with something that is impossible to burn like Autumn Salad or Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. If those don't turn out edible either or maybe instead, if they can afford it, some or all of them go out to eat or hit up a local Bakery Display for some takeout platters as many of mine by way of the NRaas Cupcake mod carry regular full meals in addition to baked goods.

But no one eats burned, spoiled, or horrifying quality food unless there really is no alternative available or the sims preparing it have the Evil trait and are only pretending to be kind to their fellow household members and guests...

^Well explained my friend.

333154eln8qgif.gif

And thanks for the tips!! :smiley:

@cwaddell
    My sims eat a lot of autumn salad, pancakes made with apples, apples from their inventory, mac and cheese and waffles. :)
    ^You must have some very healthy sims. ;) (Well, before you mentioned the mac n cheese and waffles, but I'm sure they don't go overboard on those. ;):p )

@IreneSwift
    I almost always have them start with autumn salad for their first meal. Then they can eat leftovers of that if they burn subsequent meals, even for breakfast.
    ^Clever! Thanks for sharing. :)
    (Can you tell I've never given a lot of thought to cooking on the sims. :lol: )

@dreamerz13
    I'm probably screaming at them to just eat the food in front of them (in stronger, not forum friendly, wording) too. Like I don't care if it's burnt there's food in front of you just eat it. Stop whining. I have no patience for my sims incompetence.
    ^LOL! :joy:
    I was blessed to marry man who can cook and DANG can he cook!! :yum:

@Pary
    There is a rule in my sim households - You burn it, you eat it.
    ^LOL! :joy: That's kind of always been my rule too. :p

@Hejix
    I remember a moodlet about wasting food if trashed. It doesn't apply to burnt food, but still, it stuck with me.
    ^OMGosh that moodlet has stuck with me over the years too! :open_mouth:
    And see growing up in my family of 7 children (including myself and plus mom and dad that made 9) you didn't waste ANY food! Whatsoever! I mean obviously we didn't keep around moldy food or anything like that, but y'all know what I mean. I was just raised in an environment where you ate that food whether you liked it or not and you didn't waste it!
    I guess that's why I allow my sims to eat a burned meal every now and then. Like I said, it won't kill them. ;)

@TinySpaceFox
    Typically I just cheat to raise their hunger, especially if they need to head off to work quick. If I’m not that pressed for time, though, I may make them have a quick meal or even try cooking again.
    ^Ditto. I do the same many times. :)
    I love Martin's cute, little "disappointed in my horrible cooking" face. :blush:<3

@Sindocat Awesome meal preparation! I like it! :smiley:

@Stormkeep Yeah I don't usually allow my sims to get in the red, even pure yellow, before cooking, but I guess I sorta went a little overboard with the scenario. :p

Thanks for participating and for you comments everyone! :mrgreen: It's so fun!

I wonder which option will ultimately take the lead! :smiley:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    It totally depends on the household. Most of the time my sims have leftovers. However, if I'm playing survival households they really can't afford to waste food, so they eat what they're given.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Other (Please explain)

Usually when I start a new file, I will have a Sim make Autumn Salad until they get a few levels of cooking in. I try and have children level the child cooking skill so when they are teens, they already have some skill. Now in my Ultimate Sim save, I have Brittany cook all the food as she is level 10 and a natural cook. Sometimes, I do let my sims get too hungry but I try not to.
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    My sims are always carrying fruit so I'll just have them eat that if they burn dinner. Either fruit or leftovers.
  • SaintcSaintc Posts: 12 New Member
    I hate the moodlet that comes with burned food! So I just have them make a quick meal, get pizza or eat out.
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    If they burn a meal it's leftovers or a quick meal. I let the burned food sit on the counter until it goes bad and throw it out after.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Normally I just toss it away, but if my sims are dying from hunger or I'm too lazy to make new food, I force them to eat the icky food XD
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I love pizza too much in RL to let my simmies miss out on it! :joy:
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    edited January 2019
    Yeah...in keeping with my "evil overlord" image... well...my sims if they complain about the burned food:

"Well, if you WON'T EAT THE FOOD..."
    GoaheadandStarve.jpg
    Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to be a "sim" in my games. :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It's a poorly managed household that has everyone in it starving at the same time. I generally have one sim at least who can cook a meal without burning it but even they can have an off day. So once the babies and toddlers have been bottle fed because no one wants the social worker turning up, then I make the rest of the family eat the burnt food. Cruel, possibly, but I belong to a generation raised by parents who went through WW2. Meaning we were brought up not to waste food and certainly not to turn our noses up at anything put on our plates. I guess the habit sticks and so my poor sims would be expected to eat the burnt offerings :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Other (Please explain)
    @emorrill @pary I kind of like that rule "you burn it, you eat it". It'll teach the cook to pay more attention to the recipe.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top