Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about The Sims coming to Alexa? Was this an exciting announcement for you?

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Excited
    Indifferent. I don't have an Alexa, but I'm sure some players will find it fun, and making it was probably a good creativity & technical boost for some people in-house, which will be to my benefit eventually.
    I don't have one and never plan to get one.

You don't need one the Alexa Phone App will let you use this feature.
    edited January 2019
    Excited
    SimmerSam wrote: »
    Just curious how people are feeling about this

Excited cause this is the chance to hear Sims Music that isn't currently available even CAS,Buy and Build. The trivia is like icing on the cake to me. I have Alexa and up to 8 different speakers for each room in my house. I also have Alexa in the Car. For this feature I recommend the Echo Show but the other Echo Speakers will work great too. If you want to hear the music in the bathroom while your in the shower I recommend the Echo Dot 3rd Gen the newest model they showed today. It has the felt covering.

Excited
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I still don’t completely understand the point of those devices in the first place!? I guess it’s a side effect of getting old.. anyway I’m sure someone will enjoy it.

I use Alexa for music,my smart home,news,weather,alarms and kitchen timers.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Indifferent
    thecatsred wrote: »
    > @JACKIEJOY said:
    > Did they include the music from S1? That would be kinda neat.

I'd be more inclined to like it if S1 music was there - I love the build/buy mode tracks (and the entirely to Superstar).

The soundtracks for Sims 1-4 are on YouTube already. Don’t waste your time downloading an app when you can just listen on your phone/computer/tablet/whatever. No Alexa required, no purchase necessary.
    Excited
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    I also don't have an Alexa. I play offline most of the time and Cortana was the first thing I shut off. So this doesn't affect me at all. Did they include the music from S1? That would be kinda neat. But yeah don't really care.

Yes Sims 1 thru Sims 4 around 120 to 150 songs.
    Excited
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    I don't have Alexa.

I have Lin-Z though, and she plays Sims music, too.

Not the CAS or Buy Build Though.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Indifferent
    I do not have Alexa nor do I want Alexa so I will not use this but . . .

I do think it is a fabulous thing when people who work on a game are so passionate about the game. I love that some play the game on their own time and come up with ideas to make the game more fun. I also really appreciate that the developers do not shut them down but listen and incorporate some of these ideas. What a great way to encourage creativity.

I was disappointed that a whole maxis monthly was spent talking about this. I think this was a great way to introduce the idea but I think it should have been included with some actual sim news or maybe a Q&A session.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Indifferent
    aricarai wrote: »
    FYI and wonder if this will change people's answers:

Nope. In fact I view it even more negatively with this information.
    Indifferent
    Indifferent. I don't have an Alexa, but I'm sure some players will find it fun, and making it was probably a good creativity & technical boost for some people in-house, which will be to my benefit eventually.

I do not see a point in downloading bloatware to my phone. That is what I would consider that app to be.
    Excited

I do not see a point in downloading bloatware to my phone. That is what I would consider that app to be.
    It doesn't seem to slow down my phone or drain my battery but I have the echo devices so it's essential I have this app.
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent

It doesn't seem to slow down my phone or drain my battery but I have the echo devices so it's essential I have this app.

I see all those "electronic assistant" devices as pointless junk and bloatware. I don"t own, disable or delete them.
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    Disappointed
    Too bad this thing Alexa has nothing to do with the game. But I guess everyone, even the Gurus are entitled to pursue their passion.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Indifferent
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    Not to stray too far off topic or bring up negativity, but Kates tweets about the stream were intense. Were people truly that upset about a passion project? I caught a bit of the playback of the stream but not the whole thing, and didn’t watch the chat. Was the chat truly that awful? I just don’t get it.

It was that bad, yeah. I was there. There were death threats, people screaming that this was a waste of time and money, that they could be doing something more important, etc.

It was awful.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Excited
    Well i'm personally psyched about it. My son bought me the new kindle fire 10 hd tablet for Christmas, so i'll be using the app to hear simlish songs and play trivia. Probably the most I do sim-wise these days with so much other stuff i'm into right now in my spare time. I say if they are doing this OUTSIDE of work for giggles and kicks, let them!! It's free and harmless. It's not like they are using company time. When a police officer takes off their badge they are not a police officer, when a guru clocks out it's pretty much a mod until they take it to their boss and get the okay to make it official. I'm definitely happy about it and hope the buttload of negative comments doesn't stop them from continuing to do stuff like this in their free time. We love our modders too but not everything they make gets us going, same with maxis. Some things are your cup of tea, some things aren't. Just don't use it if you don't like it. I'm sure when they clock in, it's back to official business.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    edited January 2019
    Indifferent

Bloatware doesn't necessarily slow down your phone. Especially if you have enough storage. It's also software you consider unnecessary. I have a 64GB Google Pixel 3 with 42GB free so even though I'm not particularly interested I'll definitely check it out.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Not to stray too far off topic or bring up negativity, but Kates tweets about the stream were intense. Were people truly that upset about a passion project? I caught a bit of the playback of the stream but not the whole thing, and didn’t watch the chat. Was the chat truly that awful? I just don’t get it.

It was that bad, yeah. I was there. There were death threats, people screaming that this was a waste of time and money, that they could be doing something more important, etc.

It was awful.

Seriously death threats over a video game? Over not getting some feature you want in a video game? Over the devs showing off something in a stream that they enjoyed rather then giving details about features in video game?

This community is the most entitled, ridiculous group on the planet. I think if a video game can drive you into such a fit of rage that you’re threatening people over it it’s probably time to find a different game.

I have absolutely no interest in this feature. I won’t use it. But it existing doesn’t hurt me or the game.
    ~ ~ ~
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    > @JACKIEJOY said:
    > Did they include the music from S1? That would be kinda neat.

I'd be more inclined to like it if S1 music was there - I love the build/buy mode tracks (and the entirely to Superstar).

It will have music from the sims 1.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Indifferent
    I will never own Alexa so I couldn't care less
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I have an Alexa but to be honest, I only use it for music or some quick information here and there but not nearly as much as I thought I would when I first got it. So I don't know if this would be something I would use with Sims. Thus far, it doesn't sound too interesting.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    edited January 2019
    Disappointed
    I had to google Alexa to know what it is. I don't see myself getting one at all. So I'm indifferent to Alexa as a product.
    But I'm disappointed EA feels the need to invest time and money in these kind of things which feel useless to me. For example: I have the sims 4 music in origin and have not yet heard a single note from them.

If this is meant to trigger us to buy Alexa (not available in my language, btw), it is not working. Just like I'm even less likely to go listen to Baby Ariel since EA expects us to be totally hyped about her.

Edit: Just found out about the whole passion project explanation. If I had known earlier they didn't take away time or energy for creating game content, I would have chosen indifferent.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Excited

It was awful.

WOW! What the plum is wrong with people these days? I agree with the others who say if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. There was no reason to threaten the developers. The comments weren't even that bad when they introduced First Person Camera last year. And that was also done on the developers' own time, if I remember correctly.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    Indifferent
    3KNPen wrote: »

It was awful.

Seriously death threats over a video game? Over not getting some feature you want in a video game? Over the devs showing off something in a stream that they enjoyed rather then giving details about features in video game?

This community is the most entitled, ridiculous group on the planet. I think if a video game can drive you into such a fit of rage that you’re threatening people over it it’s probably time to find a different game.

I have absolutely no interest in this feature. I won’t use it. But it existing doesn’t hurt me or the game.

Oh trust me when I say that there are communities that are much, much worse. Death threats aren't even that surprising nowadays. People become borderline sociopathic behind a computer screen, especially when it comes to content creators. It doesn't even really matter what the content is. Like, I've seen this behavior towards people who write fanfiction, which is literally just a hobby that no one gets paid for.

There are people who feel entitled to content and, because they're so disconnected from the creators, it is easy for them to dehumanize the person actually giving them content. I'm sure that the people throwing around death threats see the developers as little more than Sims themselves.
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Disappointed
    It feels like a joke honestly :#
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
    Excited

It was awful.

WOW! What the plum is wrong with people these days? I agree with the others who say if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. There was no reason to threaten the developers. The comments weren't even that bad when they introduced First Person Camera last year. And that was also done on the developers' own time, if I remember correctly.

It was awful.

Atleast their blocking and banning these people. Kate said she was blocking them and banning them. I'm assuming she meant by banning if their on these forums.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I have an Echo so this should be interesting...