Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer crashed

Hello

Last night my computer crashed not sure exactly why I get Windows Licence Violation error blue screen. I tried everything I am worried about loosing my sims save I dont want to loose my legacy save family been playing the same for years and expanding. If I reset PC and reinstall Windows will I loose them their is an option to keep my files will that include sims?

Comments

• MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I'm really sorry to hear about this disaster! My understanding about reinstall is it overwrites everything. (A good reason to back files up periodically to an external drive.) I've no idea how you cure this without losing those files.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hello
    It would be best to make a back up copy of your sims 4 folder and place it on an external drive. Your sims 4 folder contains your saves folder ( with your save games in it ) and your tray folder ( which contains the Sims households and builds that you have saved to your library. If you reset your computer and reinstall windows, then after playing the Sims 4 game once, a new sims 4 folder will be generated. You can then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the sims 4 folder on the external drive to the new sims 4 folder on your computer , replacing the new generated file/ folders with the same named old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
    This link explains about backups
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but I read it to imply that he doesn't get past the blue screen of death.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    Mylita wrote: »
    Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but I read it to imply that he doesn't get past the blue screen of death.

Mylita

I think that I may have misread the post :( If you are unable to get past the blue screen @Slythrnhr92 , then you won’t be able to do a manual back up of the sims 4 folder.
    I am not sure if there may perhaps be an option given to back up your files to an external drive before resetting your computer, and that may include your sims 4 folder also.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Everytime I play TS4, it crashes twice almost immediately (the game window disappears but the game sound can still be heard) then is fine. I always wonder why this happens.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hello

Last night my computer crashed not sure exactly why I get Windows Licence Violation error blue screen. I tried everything I am worried about loosing my sims save I dont want to loose my legacy save family been playing the same for years and expanding. If I reset PC and reinstall Windows will I loose them their is an option to keep my files will that include sims?

Don't do anything as far as resetting and reinstalling Windows. I had one of those and my hubby advised me it was a scam. Just reboot your computer and play your game like normal. All should be well. If you have security programs on your computer, run that prior to playing your game and you may wish to clean out the history on your brower(s). Personally, besides Norton, I have RegHunter and it's companion SpyHunter. I was also put onto a freebie CCleaner, but using that one will make it so you have to sign-in again to sites you use online.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks, I've had to move this thread from General Discussion into the Help Center as is a technical issue thread :) We have archived the Help Center a few months ago though and the Help Center is now hosted on another EA forum: Answers HQ. This announcement from @EA_Mage will expand on the why's. Please recreate this thread over on Answers HQ in the Sims section under Technical Issues - PC.

• New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top