Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Base Game Only Worth It?

NyanakochanNyanakochan Posts: 52 Member
So I've noticed that the Sims 4 base/base deluxe is at a very attractive price of around $4-$6+ because of the winter sale; however, all the expansion and stuff packs are still a bit pricey...
So, as the title inquirers; is getting just the base game worth it? Or is it not even worth bothering with unless I get some of the expansions?
One more piece of context for making the decision; recently, I finally got the last three expansions I was missing for the Sims 3 (thanks to Black Friday and Steam's Winter sale.) So as a player coming from that kind of setup, keep it in mind when giving advice on the main question, please.

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    The base game is very light on content. Still, considering the asking price it’s probably worth it.
  • robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    At that price, it's worth it. You can always get expansions and game packs on sale at a later date. That being said, I had to immediately buy a couple of stuff packs when I bought the base game because there just wasn't much content.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    For that price, it's worth it. But I feel like it has only like, 10% of the content (compared to all the content available from packs).
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The game on the base level alone is skimpy on content and incredibly boring. Value wise yeah it’s a great deal, but I can’t say if you will enjoy it. Probably not for very long without spending exuberant amounts of money on DLC.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    You will not find base game Sims 4 to be in any way comparable to fully loaded Sims 3. However, it will probably run a lot better. :D
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    For me yes. I remember playing the game months without dlc, and it entertained me so much. Still it is worth a try if you like it or not. It will depent based on your likes/dislike in the game. If you want to try it you can always try the Free Trial in origin 🙂
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'd say for 4-6 dollars absolutely. Its a great game, but I do warn you...it'll make you want the other content. The expansions, game packs and stuff packs are very seductive once you dip your toes into the sim lake, so to speak. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • DysanniaDysannia Posts: 37 Member
    I'd say it really depends on HOW you play the game. I personally enjoy the base game and there is tons of CC that you can get for it for free. The official DLC obviously would need to be paid for eventually, but if you like playing out the sims by catering to their wants/desires then I think the base game can suit you for a while. Especially at that price!
  • stevenwagenheimstevenwagenheim Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm sorry for posting in this thread but as a new member I'm not allowed to create my own thread and I do have some questions before buying the game. Actually, there is some overlap with the initial question asked (value of base game) so this won't be too off topic.

First off, my reason for considering buying this game (currently on sale for $5) is not your normal reason. I am in the process of creating my own comic strip and I want to create Sims homes and rooms for my characters. I'd get an actual CAD program to do this but the cost makes it prohibitive. This is a very cheap alternative.

But before I purchase, here are my questions.

1. As I am not actually interested in game play (just building homes and rooms) is there enough content in the base game to give me enough variety in furniture to furnish homes for approximately 10 families? So in theory, I would need 10 couches, coffee tables, beds, etc.

2. What is the procedure to screen print your finished homes and rooms? Is it simply doing a standard PC screen print or is there something built into the game that will allow me to do it internally?

Again, sorry for interrupting this thread but there was no way for me to create my own.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The game on the base level alone is skimpy on content and incredibly boring. Value wise yeah it’s a great deal, but I can’t say if you will enjoy it. Probably not for very long without spending exuberant amounts of money on DLC.

Yes, the base game was bland for me and so boring I only could play for 15 mins and then quit.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    At that price, it's worth it. That's a fair price to expand on.

When I bought the game, I paid 1/2 price on the Black Friday after release. This was based on the original price before the price drop of $20, so digital deluxe was 70 bucks, meaning I paid $35. Even with all of the additions added by now, I still think I paid too much.

This is a good price to start this collection. Keep your eye out for sales and hit up as many 50% off as you can for packs - finding them lower than that will be a rarity. Most times, EPs will be 50% off and GPs will be 25% off.
    Also, watch for sales on build a bundle - 1 EP, 1 GP and 1SP. When these aren't on sale, it's the equivalent of getting the GP for free. With a 30% off sale, you would score the same price as getting each pack for 1/2 off - helping to get SPs for 1/2 price as they very rarely go on sale. If they happen to come on sale for less than that, well, all the better. ;)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited January 2019
    I did personally enjoy the base game and it's definitely far better now than when it first came out. For the asking price then? Wasn't worth it, but that sale price is a must. Between all the patches, careers added, world and other things I can have some good fun with base game still. For the asking price, it is a good snag as it's only this price temporarily.

But, since expansions and other packs are still on sale, I would still recommend grabbing one with them being on sale. Expansions always add more gameplay in each series per usual. Can't go wrong with it.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'm sorry for posting in this thread but as a new member I'm not allowed to create my own thread and I do have some questions before buying the game. Actually, there is some overlap with the initial question asked (value of base game) so this won't be too off topic.

First off, my reason for considering buying this game (currently on sale for $5) is not your normal reason. I am in the process of creating my own comic strip and I want to create Sims homes and rooms for my characters. I'd get an actual CAD program to do this but the cost makes it prohibitive. This is a very cheap alternative.

1. As I am not actually interested in game play (just building homes and rooms) is there enough content in the base game to give me enough variety in furniture to furnish homes for approximately 10 families? So in theory, I would need 10 couches, coffee tables, beds, etc.

2. What is the procedure to screen print your finished homes and rooms? Is it simply doing a standard PC screen print or is there something built into the game that will allow me to do it internally?

Again, sorry for interrupting this thread but there was no way for me to create my own.

For variety, I doubt that you would have enough furniture for 10 families. Maybe slightly less, and you'd be exhausting everything. A couple of stuff packs could remedy this, and right now they're discounted at 40%, which is rare.

The internal hotkey for taking screenshots is C. You can also press Tab to enter cameraman mode, which gives a higher degree of control over the camera. WASD keys pan the camera, Q and E to lower and raise the camera respectively, and move the mouse to rotate the camera.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    Worth it at the price! But it will make you want to buy more packs so beware!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'd also say that the base is worth $5. It's pretty light, but it should have enough content for hours of gameplay.

Some notes:
    * If you play with families/generations, the toddler update 2 years ago (it's already been 2 years :0) really adds a lot to the game. People describe it as a free game pack, and they're not wrong.
    * To be fair, TS4 has the most instruments in its base game (3 of them). All the previous games either had a piano or a guitar only.
    * TS4 also has a bunch of little activities like the rocket science skill, secret lots, stand up comedy, and mischief interactions. They had to make up for the lack of features during launch somehow.
    * They recently added a stylist career to the base game, which adds a bit more gameplay for free.
    * Community lots in the base game are pretty dull IMO. There's not much to do in them. Even the "night club" in Willow Creek contains just a bar, a piano, and a microphone.
    * Multitasking isn't perfect, but it's a welcome addition. Sims can talk to each other while doing different activities, which is nice.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • simmerlyrosesimmerlyrose Posts: 196 Member
    I think I bought the base game for like $40 (or $20... either way, still much more than what you're saying it's at now!), so yes, it's worth it. :D you can always expand later. It might give you a good idea of what other packs you'd want in the future too. In the longterm, however, I can't imagine playing Sims for too long without at least a few other packs.
    heart_tilt_bullet_by_kicked_in_teeth-dbwilsm.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member

I think the basegame gets very close for providing different furniture for ten families. For example there are 10 different three-seat sofas and 11 coffee tables. I think it would work work great for your project. Only problem is that if you're trying to make money wit the comic there could be legal issues.
    > @luimistelija said:
    > stevenwagenheim wrote: »
    >
    > I'm sorry for posting in this thread but as a new member I'm not allowed to create my own thread and I do have some questions before buying the game. Actually, there is some overlap with the initial question asked (value of base game) so this won't be too off topic.
    >
    > First off, my reason for considering buying this game (currently on sale for $5) is not your normal reason. I am in the process of creating my own comic strip and I want to create Sims homes and rooms for my characters. I'd get an actual CAD program to do this but the cost makes it prohibitive. This is a very cheap alternative.
    >
    > But before I purchase, here are my questions.
    >
    > 1. As I am not actually interested in game play (just building homes and rooms) is there enough content in the base game to give me enough variety in furniture to furnish homes for approximately 10 families? So in theory, I would need 10 couches, coffee tables, beds, etc.
    >
    > 2. What is the procedure to screen print your finished homes and rooms? Is it simply doing a standard PC screen print or is there something built into the game that will allow me to do it internally?
    >
    > Again, sorry for interrupting this thread but there was no way for me to create my own.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the basegame gets very close for providing different furniture for ten families. For example there are 10 different three-seat sofas and 11 coffee tables. I think it would work work great for your project. Only problem is that if you're trying to make money wit the comic there could be legal issues.

Thanks. No, not trying to make money from comic. It's for personal use for my wife who likes reading it. It's just a fun project I'm doing, which is why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. I went through the objects for the base game and there's more than enough there to create what I need.

Anyway, purchased game. Thanks to the above poster for mentioning the tab key for advanced camera view. I was having problems getting the view I wanted.
    Sorry, last question. I'm in design view and hit the camera controls and then hit the tab key but I don't see any advanced controls coming up. I'm trying to get the living room view so that it's not looking down at an angle into the room. I want it looking straight from a floor view. How do I do this? I am on PC.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    It's worth it. Likely, by now, you'll get toddlers with it which were conspicuously missing at the time of release. I paid far, far more for my base game. Grab it at this pittance of a price while you can. As others have stated you can always wait for other sales.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I figured out the camera problem. Have to be in live mode. Duh! Anyway, this should do just fine. Thank you all for your support and assistance. You have a great community here.
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    Not at all, you'll have less fun with it than with the sims 1 base game. Its absolutely terrible. Unless you consider buying it so you can spit on the disk worth it lol
    23rif7.gif
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    @stevenwagenheim when you press tab, everything disappears from the screen on purpose so that you have a clear view.

To change the angle of the room you can press down on the wheel of your mouse (I think. sometimes I mix up the games) or you can use the control key for the same effect, then hit tab. To change the angle within camera mode takes more finagling. For some reason I've never been able to adjust the angle that way, and have to leave camera mode, adjust the angle then reenter camera mode. But someone else may know how to get rid of the extra step 😊

I also personally find the Sims 3 camera controls are easier to use with more freedom, and if you want to turn this option on/off they can be found in the settings option. I've never used the Sims 4 camera since I like 3's so much better, but it is the game default.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Nyanakochan...worth it, at the really low price it has been at. Yes, definitely a good time to buy it.
    But, imo, not if you don't plan to ever get any of the additional packs; need more packs to have more things to do.

I should clarify, however, that I also felt this way about Ts2 and TS3 when they were just base game, they needed more to do and got boring quickly before more packs were available.

Definitely a good price point to buy it at right now just to stick your toe in the water to determine if you are even interested enough to WANT to potentially get into it enough to buy any more packs though.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For me it was worth it from the beginning. I played with it consistently until we got more packs.. and then have continued adding to it with the packs as they came out. I personally think it's a good idea to get use to what you have. Sometimes it takes a long time for me to explore parts of a pack. My most recent for instance is photography... I've had it all along but only started to really skill it and use it in a story for my sim since Get Famous came out.
    Anyway.. base game and patches very worth it. If you can get it on sale (and I hope the OP did) even better.
    egTcBMc.png