Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we need more nostalgia?

FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
They tried to give us a bit of Sims 2 style in this game even though it could have been way better and actually missed out on the main points on the older game. I remember they said they wanted to take a total different direction with TS4 like new packs as never seen before. That partly happened and it would have been good, if it had the same gameplay and interactions effect/meaning as TS2. I liked how they gave us a Spa and Camping experience in the first packs, but the issue was how it was handled and how features meant less to nothing.
Sometimes i crave these quirky old The sims 1 or The sims 2 interactions and items like the 3 holiday destinations, big foot popping up, stores to actually buy items, snowboarding, gold hunting on the beach with the metal detector, buying souvenirs, the exact songs and sounds from TS2, the simple piano and classical music from TS1, the landline etc.

Do you think they need to bring back more of these nostalgic items/sounds/interactions/features or take a complete new road?

[For those asking for a third option 'both', i did not include that since the title states: do we need MORE nostalgia, not if we need or not need it in general. But more on top of what we have now ;) So it's more of a yes or no question. Hope that clears it up a bit better]
Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on

Do we need more nostalgia? 143 votes

More nostalgic!
67%
DannydanboAkl500PCK213Frn0731GoldmoldarAzarinop2TheStarHermitIdontrcallIcewolfJasexbecky685xMaMaTwinklebirdrjhenn14BreeNillaimhappyCorkysPetalsBloosmoovik92asimbsimMeteoraStorm 96 votes
Take a new road please
32%
icmnfrshJaiSeaHowGreatThouArtPlayerSinger2010Writin_Regjoelygirlsims2DJQ1308cchant86Bagoas77Ceres_Meirionaslamondaalanmichael1sekojranaPinkHairGuitarChelleJotaydevpixiejuicehalloweenchildSonata13SingerAnnaka44 47 votes

Comments

• GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    More nostalgic!
    O yes definitely bring back stuff from prior packs. I would love to see some old furniture and clothing meshes return for example like the lip shaped couch which was iconic and just sims 3 store sets redone but with sims 4 textures.

I know there's a lot of converted stuff out there but I'd prefer the team themselves to do it as it's also more accesible to people who don't use mods and a lot of the sims 3 store sets were amazing.

I don't want old neighbourhoods to return perse but clothing,hair and build and buy stuff is more than welcome.

I'm especially missing a lot of the alternative/sub cultural fashion and items prior games had and would love for those to be redone.
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Take a new road please
    Just because they managed to take some features from 2 and some from 3 and mix them up in the worst way possible, see GTW.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I agree that things from the past games should be brought back. But which ones? There are a lot of things I miss, but some things I didn't like before. Hmmm.... I can imagine a poll to pick which thing do you miss the most (shops, vacation destinations, beach combing, landline telephone).
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Take a new road please
    I don't mind new twists on old ideas. They've included the "Retro" radio station so I can get my fill when I'm longing to hear the old soundtracks. I never played Sims 2 on PC though so I would be interested in some activities from that generation. I think I heard about a sewing machine? And I'd love actual sports so my Bro Sims can do something besids watch sports on TV.

And btw it's "nostalgia"; nostalgy is not a word (I don't mean that to sound snotty at all). :)
    aSE16f8.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    More nostalgic!
    They are going in a terrible direction. I see the sims as addicts to social media and electronics in general. But, I guess I should expect that from those living in silicon valley. I want landlines and newspapers back, as I often have household that do not own a computer, TV, radio, etc. Doing that though makes the sims addicted to their phones.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Sometimes new isn't better.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I picked MORE NOSTALGIC because there are some fantastic things in past versions that I would love to see updated and improved on in this version. Those things that made me fall in love with the game in the first place. I've posted before that I'd love to see Superstar and Makin' Magic from S1 get an overhaul for this version with a few improvements.

However, I still would like things that have not been done before like a FARM pack and OFF THE GRID pack and a SPACE STATION pack.

So, my real choice is both.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I love new things. I love exploring them... I just think there are so many wonderful things that have already been done that I'd love to see play out in the Sims 4!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I'd like to see some classic sims items back, such as the heart bed.

When I was younger and playing Sims 1, I loved that bed because it was cute... wasn't aware of its use. :D So it's very nostalgic to me.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2018
    More nostalgic!
    While I do love new and shiny, there are still things I miss from the old games. Would love if they bring the Servo from TS1 back.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Take a new road please
    I already like TS2 the way it is, and I still have it installed. Sure, there are lots of features I'd like to come back (like swimmable oceans), but I like how TS4 is sort of doing its own thing in some ways. Like how toddlers weren't just recycled and were really fleshed out. The ones in TS3 are dull by comparison, and they just followed the same walk-talk-potty formula in TS2.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    More nostalgic!
    More than objects, I'd like some of the little whimsical and quirky things back. Sim children "dancing" with adults by standing on the adult's feet and holding their hands. Or running in with a good report card after school along with getting a notification in the corner. Genies that aren't playable but stuck to their bottles and quite capricious -- you wish for wealth but you might end up with mountains of past due bills instead. Firefighters and burglars and Repo Men (oh my!). Games that children can play without requiring "stuff".
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I will say I was really disappointed when I couldn't find a phone. I know our sims have mobiles but I really miss the phone! lol
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2018
    I can't really vote on the two choices if there was a third of Other I would have voted for it. The reason being, yes, there would are things I would like to see from the past but still moving forward. For example, in Sims 1 they had baby dragons that hatched from eggs. Depending on how well the egg was cared for would determine what kind of dragon your sim ended up with. When Sims 3 came around a whole lot of people were asking for a return of the dragons, and they did listen to us. But the problem was the Sims 1 dragons were actual pets that could interact with everyone else. They could play with the humans, cats, and dogs, they would move around and eat flowers (that was one of many things they could do), they were actual creatures. When the Sims 3 dragons came into play, they were more like objects than another life form like they were in Sims 1. Yes, you could interact some with the Sims 3 version somewhat, but they were nowhere near what they were in the first Sims game.

If EA does bring something from the past, I want it to be at least the same quality if not better than the original. One thing they did much better in Sims 4 was the cow plant. I never did like those things from the past games, but these guys can be quite loveable in Sims 4.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I don't mind new twists on old ideas. They've included the "Retro" radio station so I can get my fill when I'm longing to hear the old soundtracks. I never played Sims 2 on PC though so I would be interested in some activities from that generation. I think I heard about a sewing machine? And I'd love actual sports so my Bro Sims can do something besids watch sports on TV.

And btw it's "nostalgia"; nostalgy is not a word (I don't mean that to sound snotty at all). :)

Woops thanks ;) Didn't get the autocorrection on that one. In my language it's nostalgie, so guess thats where I went wrong :p
    More nostalgic!
    I agree that things from the past games should be brought back. But which ones? There are a lot of things I miss, but some things I didn't like before. Hmmm.... I can imagine a poll to pick which thing do you miss the most (shops, vacation destinations, beach combing, landline telephone).

I never really got much chance to play Apartment Life or Free Time because at the time I was playing on the Mac and EA wouldn't let Aspyr port those two packs over. We've already got apartments, and I hope witches get the same indepth treatment as did vampires. But more hobbies and activities would be a great addition to the game. If they ever get the sales tables fixed Sims could even sell their crafts at the Flea Market.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2018
    More nostalgic!
    More than objects, I'd like some of the little whimsical and quirky things back. Sim children "dancing" with adults by standing on the adult's feet and holding their hands. Or running in with a good report card after school along with getting a notification in the corner. Genies that aren't playable but stuck to their bottles and quite capricious -- you wish for wealth but you might end up with mountains of past due bills instead. Firefighters and burglars and Repo Men (oh my!). Games that children can play without requiring "stuff".

Ooh totally forgot that dance and the report paper. I also loved how the kids danced with their arms hanging loose side of their body. Maybe this makes sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwgoey14b70
    Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited October 2018
    More nostalgic!
    Yes, we do. Not at the expense of bringing new things to the table, though.

It seems they like to pick a lot of fads and trendy things to include in the game (they did this with 3 as well). It really dates the game. I think we need classics more than the latest crazes.

Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    More nostalgic!
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    Yes, we do. Not at the expense of bringing new things to the table, though.

It seems they like to pick a lot of fads and trendy things to include in the game (they did this with 3 as well). It really dates the game. I think we need classics more than the latest crazes.

It's a fine line between "relevant" and "trendy". I think social media is always going to be with us in some form, though services like Facebook are fading out in favor of "on the go" services like Instagram and Twitter. And an online dating app like the one featured in the movie Simder would be nice. It will be interesting to see how many people are still playing Sims 4 down the road a ways.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    More nostalgic!
    An online dating app would be nice to have, but I'd be happier with the matchmaker, lol. Why not both?
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Take a new road please
    Let Sims 4 be its own thing. Nostalgia gets us stuck in the past wishing for things that already happened. Give the new experiences, surprise me with the unknown, let's evolve and progress.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Take a new road please
    I actually love the hands on careers in GTW more than any other careers we've ever had in the Sims out side of the Superstar careers in the first sims game. No other Sims 2 or 3 careers have ever compared favorably to me as these have.

I am not big on nostalgia - especially going back to earlier era in history and if I lived in those era's as often they are far more romanticized and looked at and depicted through rose -tinted glasses than they actually were in real life. Contrary to belief - for many people the past was awful - so no I am not a fan of stepping back in time. I am a fan of moving forward - to new horizons and even perhaps things one has thus far only imagined. Where people are treated with respect as equals and all life matters.

I would love it if my game could reflect some of those ideals and maybe even venture off into previously unexplored horizons - even if it is but a 'what if' direction and open to many possibilities.

ETA - I was one Simmer who loved ITF in Sims 3 - it was all so different and new - so that kind of thing is more my cup of tea then reverting to the past. I'd love to explore the Universe. Join the Federation. Be on the USS Enterprise. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I would have liked a "Both" option really since there's no reason not to have both. I'm always happy to have nostaligic items (such as retro stereo station, for example), probably because I'm always trying to re-create the feeling that I got with TS1, but it's also nice to have new fresh stuff to explore new avenues to take our sims. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Nostalgic, mainly because I want Tropical islands, beach lots and swimming in the sea!

I would also really love a create a world tool again too.
  • joelygirlsims2joelygirlsims2 Posts: 48 Member
    Take a new road please
    I loved the past Sims games for what they were. I love that aspects of the previous games were brought forward but still getting new and better with every version of the game. I'm probably in the minority on this but I'm happy with the way The Sims 4 is right now and have no complaints at all about the content or game-play.