Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sims are constantly in mourning ever since that patch update

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’m all for sims reacting properly and not Happyville all the time, but it has to make sense doesn’t it? Sims not mourning when someone close to them died is just as bad as sims mourning for two days in a row when someone they didn’t know or even hated dies. Sorry but for me they’ll have to do better than this. It shouldn’t be a matter of “ok, let’s throw in a couple of deaths and make sims cry all day, that will win back those critical veterans”. I haven’t experienced this yet (because nobody died yet to mourn about), but I take it it isn’t a simple matter of changing the aura in this case.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Comfort hug a pet, call the sadness hotline, cry in the closet, all these things reduce the sad mood drastically. In case of toddlers, the parenthood "you'll be ok" interaction help to get rid of any negative mood and grant also the super parent status at max skill.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m all for sims reacting properly and not Happyville all the time, but it has to make sense doesn’t it? Sims not mourning when someone close to them died is just as bad as sims mourning for two days in a row when someone they didn’t know or even hated dies. Sorry but for me they’ll have to do better than this. It shouldn’t be a matter of “ok, let’s throw in a couple of deaths and make sims cry all day, that will win back those critical veterans”. I haven’t experienced this yet (because nobody died yet to mourn about), but I take it it isn’t a simple matter of changing the aura in this case.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2018

I agree. To me, this feels like a feature that was quickly churned out and released with the patch without doing extensive play-testing with it first. Toddlers are somehow getting these calls, too. That shouldn't even be possible since they aren't even supposed to have phones!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Comfort hug a pet, call the sadness hotline, cry in the closet, all these things reduce the sad mood drastically. In case of toddlers, the parenthood "you'll be ok" interaction help to get rid of any negative mood and grant also the super parent status at max skill.
    Sure there will be ways to reduce the sad moodlet (just reduce? not remove?) but a. it’s an nuisance having to send your sim into a closet to cry while you were having other plans just because some sim died somewhere and b. will the sad mood be gone for the rest of the day then or will it come back? (again, I haven’t experienced this yet myself but I will really be plummed off when my evil vampire girl is going to cry all day because Geoffrey Landgraab she said hello to once just to have a drink died)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I thought one of the things people complained about was their Sims not being sad for long enough after a death in the family.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    I thought one of the things people complained about was their Sims not being sad for long enough after a death in the family.
    No one was complaining their sims weren’t sad enough when the stall owner they talked to once died.

And personally, I think they’re sad for long enough with family anyway,
    edited September 2018
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Sure there will be ways to reduce the sad moodlet (just reduce? not remove?) but a. it’s an nuisance having to send your sim into a closet to cry while you were having other plans just because some sim died somewhere and b. will the sad mood be gone for the rest of the day then or will it come back? (again, I haven’t experienced this yet myself but I will really be plummed off when my evil vampire girl is going to cry all day because Geoffrey Landgraab she said hello to once just to have a drink died)

I know, but they are not going to fix the problem today or tommorrow, so in the meantime, these are some ways to reduce the mood without mods. I use Ui cheats to simply get rid of the sad mood when I don't want it. Every action you take to reduce the mood will reduce the time it lasts, multiple actions in a row make it disappear. For toddlers, the interaction must be made 4 times in a row for a 2 hours sad mood, it could take some time to get rid of the 2 days sad mood. Another way was to use the remove all buff cheats, it seems that doesn't work anymore though. The most powerful is the comfort hug from pets.. it doesn't need to be an owned pet either, just a friend.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited September 2018
    I hate these notifications too. I end up with long stretches when my Sims are constantly sad for a week or so at a time, because multiple sims have died. Often it's not even a close friend or family member so I have no clue who the game is referring to in the notifications. When it's someone the sims are close to, it's fine, and makes a lot of sense, but a random acquaintance causing the same level of grief as a spouse or parent is ridiculous.

I posted about this a while back and someone told me about the Moodlet Solver potion, which I have used when I can spare the points. It's a major help, but I really shouldn't be using it as frequently as I sometimes do.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    Cyclelegs wrote: »
    The real problem is that we all play differently and want different reactions to death. There is no way to tune the reaction without resorting to mods. I have done that and really like the death notification system now. But, I have dialed it way back. My active sims end up with the Beloved and always liked traits so that they are immediately Friends with anyone they meet and their relationships never reduce. Without a Mod to change the mourning values my sims would be permanently sad.

The crystals or paintings etc (turned on) don't work? ETA: Oh, and yes, the mood booster only costs 50, right? ETA: And isn't the whole purpose of TS4 (unlike other games) to manipulate their moods with decor and mood boosters? I thought that is the whole point of this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I find it odd that people are upset over the phone call of pending death as that was a favorite from Sims 2 that people have been requesting since Sims 2 so they knew when an old friend pr relative was dying to get a last visit perhaps and be able to actually get the urn. We finally get it back (we tried in Sims 3 too as some of us liked to be there and get the urn - and didn't get it - so now we get it and you want it gone again? To me that is sad to be denied the urn of an elder friend or relative because sims get sad when their relative is dying. To me it is realistic to be sad and realistic to be able to have maybe one last visit and to get the urn if we are there so we can bury them. So much for getting what some of us ask for after so long of waiting - looks like we lose it again at this rate.

I do think a legit cemetery should have came with this request as that is missing and the two sort of go together - perhaps it would have been received better by perhaps some of you who forgot or never played Sims 2. At the present my sims don't have any old relatives so I was not aware it was finally back after all these years of waiting as I started a new game between Cats and Dogs and Seasons because I didn't want issues with all the recoding - so if tyey stop it I guess if no one had mentioned it I'd never known it came back at all. Sigh.....

Players were complaining that family members in other households would die and there would be zero acknowledgement of the death. Now we get the acknowledgement and people omplain about that. Can't win for losing.

I do agree that the mourning periods need to be toned down a bit. Maybe 8 hours for an acquaintance, 1 day for a friend and two days for a best friend or family member. Think about in Real Life -- you hear that someone you know casually, maybe a former classmate or co-worker, has died and you might have a short period of grieving or at least sympathy for the family. A good friend dies, that's going to go longer, and a really good/best friend (someone who's almost like a sibling) can feel like you're losing a family member.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, I definitely don't think that the death calls should be done away with entirely. I do think that the mourning periods need to be scaled depending on relationship with the deceased, though. A two-day +2 mourning moodlet from a person that your Sim said hi to once is way excessive. For that it should either be a brief +1 sad moodlet or a fine moodlet with some flavor text. Not only that, but I don't think it makes sense at all for Sims to be sad for two days over an enemy dying. To me, it would make more sense for Sims to either be happy or get no moodlet at all from that circumstance.
    Post edited by worldofdrakan on
  • SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    I agree with all those who recommend that the strength and duration of the Sad moodlet should be scaled to how high the relationship was with the deceased. The Sim I'm currently playing is a Loner with very few friends, but is getting notified almost daily of the deaths of people she was barely acquainted with. It makes no sense to have constant two day +2 Sad moodlets for Sims she really didn't care about.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    my sim got the sad buff from a death message that was blank in regards to the sim that died but my sim still gets sad for 2 days. thats not cool

not sure when it was introduced but i noticed last time i played that sims i dont interact with anymore and whos friendship decays alot get removed from my friend list. i can only assume one of them died and thats why the notification was blank with their name.

i have no qualms over being told about family/good friends dying but to be sad for a nameless sim irks me.

i personally would like the newspaper bought back with a section for death notices/obituaries so if i want to make my sim sad on purpose i can learn which townies/acquaintances have died by reading the newspaper. calls/sms for close friends/family, and a newspaper for others. its generally how the news is spread nowadays from my experience.

id also like a cemetery back. i have no need for gazillions of clubs/coffee house/gym type lots but a cemetery where all gravestones/urns go for townie, unplayed sims would be nice. much like sims 3 we could have a few on display and everything else goes into a vault for storage with the option to mix it up
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    my sim got the sad buff from a death message that was blank in regards to the sim that died but my sim still gets sad for 2 days. thats not cool
    This has happened to me a few times too. I guess that sim’s ghost got culled super quick or something?

It’s not because the sim was removed from your relationships list. I have mccc and use it to bypass relationship culling and relationship decay but this still happens to me. Also, if the sim had been removed from your re,ationship list you wouldn’t have received a text concerning their death.
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member

not sure when it was introduced but i noticed last time i played that sims i dont interact with anymore and whos friendship decays alot get removed from my friend list. i can only assume one of them died and thats why the notification was blank with their name.

i have no qualms over being told about family/good friends dying but to be sad for a nameless sim irks me.

i personally would like the newspaper bought back with a section for death notices/obituaries so if i want to make my sim sad on purpose i can learn which townies/acquaintances have died by reading the newspaper. calls/sms for close friends/family, and a newspaper for others. its generally how the news is spread nowadays from my experience.

id also like a cemetery back. i have no need for gazillions of clubs/coffee house/gym type lots but a cemetery where all gravestones/urns go for townie, unplayed sims would be nice. much like sims 3 we could have a few on display and everything else goes into a vault for storage with the option to mix it up

That I would support, I miss having the newspaper, I always had my sims take the time to read it. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2018
    My Sim is currently sad from a loss of a friend, however she had never met the person. The Sim was part of a welcome wagon while my Sim was at work, as i could not answer the door due to not being at home, they declared my Sim a horrible neighbour and left. All those Sims where forced into my relationship panel, they are not friends.
    My Sim should not be mourning for them, as they have never met and they dislike each other due to my Sim being a horrible neighbour.

Judging from some of Grant's Tweets newspapers aren't coming back, but they could add a Neighborhood News... option on the computer, maybe under the Web... category.

Judging from some of Grant's Tweets newspapers aren't coming back, but they could add a Neighborhood News... option on the computer, maybe under the Web... category.

booooo! the sims 4 is a little heavy handed on the 'social' aspect, of calls, clubs, sms, etc etc, and id like the softer touch!.

if we cant have newspapers back i support 100% a neighborhood news section on the pc/mobile. it would let me know, id hope, when certain houses become available through their occupier dying. i play one household only per save, save up money and then make my way up through the nicer houses. sometimes a townie moves in, how they afford it is beyond me, and i need to wait for them to die or 'intergrate' them into my sims lives and steal the house!

a section on the web would be a nice touch that could also include coupons or random stories. in sims 2 or 3, im pretty sure, if u read the newspaper stories they would have: rando sim a and b got married or had a baby. our sims would be sad of course coz of sims dying but then they could read a 'funnies' section and with the decor and good quality meal they just ate its all good and the sadness is gone in a matter of sim hours!

booooo! the sims 4 is a little heavy handed on the 'social' aspect, of calls, clubs, sms, etc etc, and id like the softer touch!.

if we cant have newspapers back i support 100% a neighborhood news section on the pc/mobile. it would let me know, id hope, when certain houses become available through their occupier dying. i play one household only per save, save up money and then make my way up through the nicer houses. sometimes a townie moves in, how they afford it is beyond me, and i need to wait for them to die or 'intergrate' them into my sims lives and steal the house!

a section on the web would be a nice touch that could also include coupons or random stories. in sims 2 or 3, im pretty sure, if u read the newspaper stories they would have: rando sim a and b got married or had a baby. our sims would be sad of course coz of sims dying but then they could read a 'funnies' section and with the decor and good quality meal they just ate its all good and the sadness is gone in a matter of sim hours!

You can actually evict households -- go to Manage Worlds, click on the house you want to buy, choose Evict Household in the little options menu (looks like this: ...) and that household goes to the Not In World population to either live out their lives or you can manually give them a new house. (I manually place families I don't plan on actively playing using freerealestate because when I have the game do it, it tends to put families in the small houses and single Sims in the mansions.)

You can actually evict households -- go to Manage Worlds, click on the house you want to buy, choose Evict Household in the little options menu (looks like this: ...) and that household goes to the Not In World population to either live out their lives or you can manually give them a new house. (I manually place families I don't plan on actively playing using freerealestate because when I have the game do it, it tends to put families in the small houses and single Sims in the mansions.)

i seeeeee!!! that is good to know. i have also noticed and find it strange as well that these enormous mcmansions are occupied by one sim and smaller ones have the families but then i also find it strange that actively played households are the only ones who have generational families.
  • Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    Quick question...and maybe this has already been addressed but I am new to MCCC and I am wondering if there is a way to use this to remove the 2 day sadness moodlet? I would only do this for sims who ot doesnt make sense to mourn over. If there is it can at least help to avoid the issue until (hopefully) it is resolved
    Quick question...and maybe this has already been addressed but I am new to MCCC and I am wondering if there is a way to use this to remove the 2 day sadness moodlet? I would only do this for sims who ot doesnt make sense to mourn over. If there is it can at least help to avoid the issue until (hopefully) it is resolved

The only way I can think about is running the relationship cleaner on a regular basis to get rid of every below friend relationship from the word.

i seeeeee!!! that is good to know. i have also noticed and find it strange as well that these enormous mcmansions are occupied by one sim and smaller ones have the families but then i also find it strange that actively played households are the only ones who have generational families.

If you're not mod-averse the MC Command Center mod takes care of the generational family issue; it helps Sims get married and have babies (occasionally in that order). >:) It's a lot of fun to see the pairings, especially the same gender marriages. (Though sometimes it's a case of you can't fight fate -- in one save I had Eliza divorce Bob Pancakes, and moved them off to live their lives apart -- a while later in the game MCCC put them back together.)

I know that with UI Cheats you can right-click on the moodlet to get rid of it; you can enable debug cheats in MCCC but not sure if the right-click functionality works.