Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game has vanished!

You might remember me, I'm the girl playing Sims 3 with barely any memory on my computer, which has lead to me getting the Error notice whenever I try and save for the second time, and has also lead to the game crashing.

The last thing I tried to do was to send my Sims to university, but it kept crashing and I decided to try again the next day. When I turned off my laptop, it ran some updates. Then I went back into Sims, deleted two old Saves (an original and a back-up), keeping my most recent Save (which didn't have a backup).

I cleaned out some xcpt documents that didn't seem important, then when I started up Sims, there were no games! I brought everything back from the recycle bin and tried it again, still no games! Even Roaring Heights isn't there when it asks me to choose a world!

Is my legacy gone for good, after all of that discussion trying to save it? :(

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited September 2018
    It sounds like TS3 can't find your game folder (the one that holds your content and from which you deleted two saves). If the game doesn't see this folder, it generates a new one the next time it launches. You mentioned running updates; is it possible that OneDrive is now enabled? If so, it may have automatically uploaded your game folder to cloud storage. You can find it there, pull it back onto your desktop, disable OneDrive, and then put the folder back where it belongs, in Documents\Electronic Arts. Make sure to remove the new folder—the one without your saves or Roaring Heights—before putting the old one back.

If your game folder in Documents\EA does contain your saves and RH, but the game isn't reading it properly, try pulling it out of Documents and launching the game again, thereby generating a new one. Then you can copy a save into the new folder and see if the game reads it properly. (Make sure to pick a save that takes place in a world already present in the new game folder, like Sunset Valley, or else install the underlying world before adding the save.) Once you've established that TS3 will read its new game folder, you can start adding content into it from your old folder.

Edit: I should also say that if you do decide to get a new computer, now or later, your saves are transferable, once you've spawned and rebuilt your game folder on the new system. So you might want to back up a save or two from your legacy, either on an external drive or a web-based filesharing site like Mediafire. You'll be able to retrieve the files whenever you're ready.