Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help, new laptop and sims stops working

MhGNVLe.png

I got a new gaming laptop and its so strange, I played all day and had no problems, but now if I try to load my game it starts loading then it says sims stopped working and needs to be closed down. Its all just installed today and I have no mods and no cc. I started the game from origin and from the windows mode where you click on the sims and both crashes like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Hello
    Try shutting down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then log into Origin, and try to launch the game and see if that helps.
    Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate

Make sure that the game is using your graphics card.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd

If the issues remain, try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Rosemow, I am busy running the support system to see if I have any drivers to update and its saying there is 5, its just running the rest of the program and I will start by updating those. Only got the laptop last night so guess it needs a little updating after the set up :) Just weird that I played all day and now its doing it

eV19SrA.png
    The alienware tech guy was remotely on my laptop, He checked all the settings and they were correct. He suggested uninstalling and reinstalling with a cable. I installed it wirelessly. Once I did that I will contact him again and he will remotely go back on and help me fix it.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Hello
    If the issues are only affecting Sims 4,try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try starting the game in windowed mode
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode

Try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    @mcrudd I wouldn't try installing anything until you have all the latest updates for your PC/Mac? I had two huge cumulative ones for my new gaming laptop a couple of months ago. They were steadily downloading in the background and I eventually left the laptop running all night unable to do anything else. Check the virus program you probably got with it too.
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    If the issues are only affecting Sims 4,try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try starting the game in windowed mode
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode

Try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps

Thanks for all the advice Rosemow, I had the allienware techs helping me again, too scared to change things and they fixed it. Turned out it was my antivirus that was super over protective. Its all sorted now :) (so far, touch wood)
    Simburian wrote: »
    @mcrudd I wouldn't try installing anything until you have all the latest updates for your PC/Mac? I had two huge cumulative ones for my new gaming laptop a couple of months ago. They were steadily downloading in the background and I eventually left the laptop running all night unable to do anything else. Check the virus program you probably got with it too.

Before telling me to uninstall and reinstall, the alienware tech did go through all of my settings and updated things to make sure everything was up to date, he was on my computer for a long time. Once everything was updated he said to start the uninstall and reinstall process :) Turned out it was my antivirus though, it was too protective, sims is allowed to run now without it thinking a virus wants to change my computer settings ;)
    rosemow wrote: »
    It is good that the game is working okay now :)

Yes gosh who would have thought it was the antivirus. It took two alienware techs some time to figure it out though, so it puzzled even them ;) Thanks for all your help and advice <3
    Glad it is now ok. Microsoft did the same for me some time ago and told me to go away and have a coffee! I got rid of the antivirus program with my new one and rely on the Windows 10 one updating daily.
    Microsoft are now installing updates in the correct order which they failed to do before the 1803 update and that's why mine took so long.
    Have fun ☺
    Glad it is now ok. Microsoft did the same for me some time ago and told me to go away and have a coffee! I got rid of the antivirus program with my new one and rely on the Windows 10 one updating daily.
    Microsoft are now installing updates in the correct order which they failed to do before the 1803 update and that's why mine took so long.
    Have fun ☺

yeah they had to convince me to get rid of mine too. I now use only windows deffender, hope its as good as my previous antivirus protection
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Have fun ☺

yeah they had to convince me to get rid of mine too. I now use only windows deffender, hope its as good as my previous antivirus protection

Defender is much better than formerly. It is helpful to check what kind of virus checks it can do as one of them can be done in "Safe mode" and one directly from online and now it protects from ransomware apparently, according to my latest update. The latest machines have TPM qv as extra security. (Trusted Platform Module). The trouble with Windows 10 I find is that meddling too much with the settings without understanding them properly, can lead to problems, Alienware and Microsoft make 'em so should sort 'em is best!