Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointment with the Gardening Career

So my main sim is a floral designer, and after playing through the career, I have to admit, I'm really disappointed and frustrated. Before I go on my little rant, I have to preface this by saying I didn't play through the botanist career, so I can't say if the other branch is the same.
119tmc2.jpg

Pictured in the above spoiler is all (yes, all) of the rewards for the gardening career from levels 1-4. Every item is found regularly without having to progress in the career it self to access them. The weirdest one of all for me is the garden planter box, which is a reward for the 3rd level, despite gardening already being a requirement. I'm sure all players had at least one already since the daily requirement is "harvest harvestables".
2wlznyq.jpg

And now, pictured above is all the rewards for the floral designer career, which is, to me, the saddest part of all. When I think of floral design, I think of new, gorgeous plants in so many beautiful vases.

All of the pictured rewards can be found regularly in the base game (literally just go into buy mode into the plants section and purchase it) without ever having played the career) except for the flower arranging table.

However, the flower arranging table is only given to your sim at level 6, after you already chose your branch. But... in order to be promoted to that rank, you need flower arranging skill level 2, so that means you'd already have to have bought the flower arranging table. I'm literally face-palming rn, lol. There's no other table you could have bought before this one.
nv29d.jpg

And the level 10 career reward? Yet another base-game plant and, weirdest of all, the single rose... (aren't floral arrangements supposed to be with multiple flowers? Isn't that what makes the skill so hard to master and beautiful? Like, why would they do this?) Also, the single rose is a reward for getting a silver on a date event. Not even a gold, a silver. It literally took me 4 minutes to get the date event to silver in order for me to get a second rose to put in this screenshot.
6eq911.jpg

To further prove my point, pictured above are all the rewards my current sim has in the musician career. This is only what I have on my lot currently, but there were more rewards. Every item is unique, inspired, and beautiful. I absolutely adore the piano and the guitar and they make mastering the career and the instruments even more worth it. The best part? You have to play through the career to get them.

I really don't like complaining, but career rewards are one of my fave things in the game. I feel like they were a bit lazy with the gardener career. :(

Like, they could have added new flower arrangements a floral arranger could create but nope. This is all we get, and honestly, I think it's pretty sad. But I hope I'm not overreacting.

I dunno, what do you guys think?
200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png

Comments

• PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    I don't play careers for their rewards so it's not disappointment for me. But I can see the lack in originality in them, most of them are base game items that you can just buy without unlocking anything.
  • xxritaaaaaaaxxxxritaaaaaaaxx Posts: 31 Member
    I don't really pay attention to the career rewards, I've had a sim working as a botanist, and never floral designer. But now that I think there weren't really good rewards, I think? But I see your point, the other careers do have better rewards :/
  • kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    You’re not alone. I don’t really care about the career rewards but yes, seeing you point them out does highlight how disappointing they are. I’m disappointed with the career as a whole. My sim is on the botany path and there is literally nothing unique or interesting about it. It’s literally the exact same as it would be if my sim just stayed home and gardened to make money. Except now there’s a phone ringing in the morning asking if she wants to go to work or work from home. I also noticed earlier it seems that the pay when working from home is broken. It is really disappointing.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I'm not too concerned with rewards, but I did find it really weird that the flower arranging table was a reward when you would have needed to have one already to even get to that point in the career.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was a bit disappointed, too, that there wasn't something special at the end of the flower arrangement track. I wasn't even sure that my Sim had reached the highest level, since the game didn't generate an accomplishment for having a Sim reach the top level of the gardening career. (I don't care about the accomplishments, but they do confirm that your Sim has reached the top in other career tracks.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    I know that. First you get new seeds, planters and a tree decal. Then if you choose flower arranger branch, you get a lot of flowers that are already in the build mode and a bonsai bush so your sim can increase their flower arranging skill.
    However, the botanist branch's rewards are not avalible in build mode at all. First, your sim will get a cowplant berry so they can grow a cowplant, and then on they'll get microscopic prints as rewards. While this does make obtaining the cowplant berry easier without cheats, obtaining those microscopic prints can be done with any microscope.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I like the new CAS outfits that come with the floral designer career -- my Sim is almost at the top of the career (she'll be aging up to Elder after that and moving with her husband to Oasis Springs where the weather should be easier on her bones). It would have been nice to have some new original items, but at least it saves my Sim money getting the stuff free rather than having to actually buy it, or they can sell the items if they don't want them. (With my Sim making over §20K a day, most of it from the Money Tree, it's not like money is an issue -- that's another topic though). I'll be trying the Botanist career with a different Sim later on; my goal with my current semi-legacy is to finish all the collections and work all the jobs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    kayt45 wrote: »
    You’re not alone. I don’t really care about the career rewards but yes, seeing you point them out does highlight how disappointing they are. I’m disappointed with the career as a whole. My sim is on the botany path and there is literally nothing unique or interesting about it. It’s literally the exact same as it would be if my sim just stayed home and gardened to make money. Except now there’s a phone ringing in the morning asking if she wants to go to work or work from home. I also noticed earlier it seems that the pay when working from home is broken. It is really disappointing.

Yeah, that's actually true. Not sure if it's the same with anybody else, but working from home in the gardening career only earns my sim 10$ after a successfully completed day of work, which really sucks, lol.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I know that. First you get new seeds, planters and a tree decal. Then if you choose flower arranger branch, you get a lot of flowers that are already in the build mode and a bonsai bush so your sim can increase their flower arranging skill.
    However, the botanist branch's rewards are not avalible in build mode at all. First, your sim will get a cowplant berry so they can grow a cowplant, and then on they'll get microscopic prints as rewards. While this does make obtaining the cowplant berry easier without cheats, obtaining those microscopic prints can be done with any microscope.

Like I mentioned in my post, I personally never played through the botany career but at the same time, the prints that you get are common until the final career reward, which is uncommon. I still feel like it's kind of a lackluster reward since, as before, it's found in the game already. If you've been using the microscope they gave you as an earlier reward within your family, you might already have those prints, so I don't know. :(
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    actually, all the botanist rewards are available in buy mode. most of them just need a cheat entered, first. 'bb.showhiddenobjects' which then reveals all the collectibles and more. (also, cowplant berry can be fished up in several locations. but that requires making a sim actually fish, which seems like something a lot of people avoid)

i know some consider using cheats like this as...well, cheating. but it's great for decorating lots you don't intend to actually play (like putting some of the feather collection up in a rustic restaurant or adding the selvadorada collections to a museum) or to match the story/feel for a sim (i gave a latina sim a few fake selvadoradan artifacts because i figured she'd be interested in her cultural past, but be so distanced from it she didn't realize...or maybe didn't care... that the knickknacks she bought were fake and not the real deal)
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    @Shinzen You are not alone. I have been perturbed with the unlockable rewards since the Politics career. A new, upscale florist station, or floral display freezers would have been excellent additions to the career unlocks.
    The Floral design branch does have several new job-oriented interactions, but other than blogging (which gives a focused buff) they don't do anything. To me, these areas make the career feel less immersive than even some of the base-game careers.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    That is completely pointless, why would you want to play through the career to be rewarded with items you already have?

Just seems there was no effort.
    well, the thing is, gardening *is* a base game career. even if it came out this late in the run of the game. and your sims aren't guaranteed to always already have whatever these rewards are, especially for botanist path (though i agree that more than a few rewards are... iffy, decisionwise. i have a feeling they were originally going to include items from seasons up until they decided to pull the gardening career out of the pack and put it in the free patch, then didn't want to pull any items from the pack so used already existing items as rewards. arranging station being the one exception, of course)

there are also the outfits that nobody mentioned, each path unlocks a unique full-body outfit

and, as several said above, not everyone plays through a career just for whatever rewards from it (though those can be a nice perk in most careers)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2018
    Wow, those rewards are really lame, there's nothing special about them at all, all of them are basically base game items. How disappointing.
    This makes me miss the cool rewards you got in the Sims 2. All of the rewards in the Sims 2 careers were unique, and it was hard to get to the top of your job, so it felt like a big accomplishment when you did succeed.
    Thanks for the warning :(
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    @kalaksed wrote: »
    well, the thing is, gardening *is* a base game career. even if it came out this late in the run of the game. and your sims aren't guaranteed to always already have whatever these rewards are, especially for botanist path (though i agree that more than a few rewards are... iffy, decisionwise. i have a feeling they were originally going to include items from seasons up until they decided to pull the gardening career out of the pack and put it in the free patch, then didn't want to pull any items from the pack so used already existing items as rewards. arranging station being the one exception, of course)

there are also the outfits that nobody mentioned, each path unlocks a unique full-body outfit

and, as several said above, not everyone plays through a career just for whatever rewards from it (though those can be a nice perk in most careers)

is it base game? I thought it came with Seasons on account of the florist branch. as for the rewards, I enjoy them but I'm also not overly concerned with them. rather unfortunate the florist rewards aren't that great though. a fancier floral arranging table would've been an awesome reward.
    6riwm5.png
    it was released in the patch right before seasons. pretty sure it was originally intended to be part of seasons, but when they broke out the gardening update to put into the free patch, the gardening career came with
  • Cary1213Cary1213 Posts: 91 Member
    The gardening career is not base game. The gardening skill is but not the career.
    I have just the base game on my computer and I don't have that career.

SvgJRlK.png
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    And florist is too stupid skill. IT was better in TS2.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    That does look rather disappointing. But this is my answer to it.
    When I play through a career.. especially a rabbit-hole one I often never finish it again. I might start it but I don't worry about topping it again as much. So I get kind of upset that that one piano that would look great in my antique house does not have a sim that want's to top that career. So next time I want it I'm going to cheat it in, and I dislike cheating it in personally.
    I get more ticked off about traits actually. I love the fresh chef trait but I don't want to play through that career with every sim I want it on.
    So what I see is this and I can certainly be wrong. I think telemetry tells them what we use and often how we use it. Polls might also and other interactions.
    I also admit when most reward items go in my household inventory I rarely use it. I've already decided what decor my sim has...or favors so it sits there unused and very often not even pulled out and looked at.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Awful design. Really disapointing career. Wish they would update it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, the career doesn't really bring anything special to the table and specially considering that we are getting a feature to register our self-employed sims so that they don't appear unemployed anymore.
    Since it has nothing unique and you can garden and make flower arrangements already, the career will be even more redundant after the patch.
    It's a shame because I was really excited about it when I got the pack.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • _Mogway_Mogway Posts: 56 Member
    glad im not the only one, just had my sim finish the botanist career and he never got a cow berry wonder if he ate it some how... not even a special room that goes with it...i love those rooms i always built them so that my money doesnt go that high lol
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2018
    They should honestly consider adding the plant sim beans as part of the career rewards so that your sim can become a plantsim at the end of the career if they so wish. That way it would be unique and give the career a bigger purpose and it would be a way to be a plant sim now that the event is over.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    They should honestly consider adding the plant sim beans as part of the career rewards so that your sim can become a plantsim at the end of the career if they so wish. That way it would be unique and give the career a bigger purpose and it would be a way to be a plant sim now that the event is over.

It will be great, pity that simsguru have not so great ideas as you
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Pretty sure it’s because people complained that objects were locked behind career paths, and they took on that feedback.

That said, it would have been better to give us objects from Seasons rather than the base game.
  • PluttskuttPluttskutt Posts: 112 Member
    I think they should have taken this time to add more flower decorations that are smaller. There are next to none pretty flowers to put on benches or other surfaces for tiny homes. Why can't there just be an option to have a vas and put flowers you grow in there as decorations? I agree that this is very boring. I haven't played the career yet but I had hoped for more :(