Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need more memory! Please advise?

Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
edited August 2018 in PC - Technical Discussions
Warning

Your computer has insufficient memory to run The Sims4 with your currently installed packs. This may lead to poor game stability

*Sniffs* And I don't even have Seasons yet! But getting to my point here: I got the above warning the first time I went to play my game after getting Pets and Jungle Adventures. I have an old desktop that's still chugging away *Pets it soothingly* and no money to invest in a better computer. Soooo...Can someone tell me please, how much more memory I should buy, with extra to be on the safe side (given the likelihood of future packs I'll want)?

I have an old Hewett Packard computer that's still running Windows 7 (Because I -LIKE- it). If there's a need for more specifics on my computer, to better help advise, then tell me how to find such out and I'll provide it. Also, where do you buy more memory for a computer? I'm guessing Staples would have it, right? What about Walmart?

Thank you soooo much in advance, to anyone responding with advice/help! :)

(Edited for typos)

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This should mean your running out of hard drive space , You need to leave at least 50 gb hard drive space free while running this game. Check to see how much hard drive space you have and clean out your hard drive to make more room for the game. You may also have the option to install a second hard drive and move the game there.
  • Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    edited August 2018
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you very much for the reply! And now...I'm going to sound utterly obtuse, and ask how to clean out my hard drive? Is that what a scan disc and disc fragmentation, does? I don't think that's going to free up enough memory...Though it certainly wouldn't hurt of course!

How does one go about buying a second hard drive and moving things from the computer's original hard drive, onto the second one?

Again, I apologize for sounding so dense, but I really don't know these things! :s
    edited August 2018
    Your very welcome. To clean out your hard drive, If you have an HDD, you remove files you don't need. The files you do need put on an external hard drive or USB flash drive. You can defrag your HDD . If you have an SSD hard drive don't defrag it and remove files.

Can you post your computer specs please. Windows key + R key will open your run box in the lower left hand corner of your computer. In the run box type DxDiag, hit ok , let it load and choose save. Your DxDiag will now be a text file saved in documents. Please upload the DxDiag text file to https://pastebin.com and then post a link here to your pastebin with your DxDiag. Thank you
  • Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Sorry for this very belated reply! I got some advice offline about what to do, though I'm still uncertain of what I'll end up doing ultimately. As for posting my computer specs, is there a reason I cant just post the information from the text file, here, directly? I've never heard of pastebin.com before, why do I have to do it through there?

At any rate, if nothing else, I did want to say thank you to you, for your help. I really DO appreciate it, especially the support factor! Thank you, and I hope you have a great week!
  • ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    wait, so you can run the game from an external hard drive? how would we go about doing that? I have a CC hoarding problem, and my poor C drive is in the red.
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    Reitanna wrote: »
    wait, so you can run the game from an external hard drive? how would we go about doing that? I have a CC hoarding problem, and my poor C drive is in the red.
    It is not advisable to do such an thing and I have yet to to do it. I am going to try on one of my other systems and just install the core game and not the saves I rather keep that on an local drive. The problem may with transfer speed when using external drives. It may work and it may not but I am going to do it to see. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest transfer speed out right now with USB 3.1 behind it. It will give me something to do anyway :) You may have to replace that drive or put in another if possible, another thing if your drive is in the red I am wondering how Windows is doing for it needs space of it own to work so your system do not go haywire.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    @phoebebebe13 Sorry for this very belated reply! I got some advice offline about what to do, though I'm still uncertain of what I'll end up doing ultimately. As for posting my computer specs, is there a reason I cant just post the information from the text file, here, directly? I've never heard of pastebin.com before, why do I have to do it through there?

At any rate, if nothing else, I did want to say thank you to you, for your help. I really DO appreciate it, especially the support factor! Thank you, and I hope you have a great week!

All the DxDiag shows is your hardware , your drivers etc. It's nothing personal. If you call EA CS they will ask you for a DxDiag. We need to see what is going on with your computer. If it meets requirements etc. The DxDiag text file is huge and easier to upload to pastebin If you try to post the DxDiag here you will have to break it up in sections in several posts. Uploading it to pastebin and posting a link here is much easier
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Reitanna wrote: »
    It is not advisable to do such an thing and I have yet to to do it. I am going to try on one of my other systems and just install the core game and not the saves I rather keep that on an local drive. The problem may with transfer speed when using external drives. It may work and it may not but I am going to do it to see. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest transfer speed out right now with USB 3.1 behind it. It will give me something to do anyway :) You may have to replace that drive or put in another if possible, another thing if your drive is in the red I am wondering how Windows is doing for it needs space of it own to work so your system do not go haywire.

Well, I tested playing off an external drive which is an USB 3.0 which is capable of transferring data at 5 gb/sec and looks like it is doable as long as your system has good specs. I did this on AMD FX 8370 16 GB AMD R9 390 8 GB and there was no lag present. I did an new game and a game with an large save file and there was no slowdown. However I have to keep this test going to see if in time will the results stay the same or change. I was averaging 59 to 60 fps. This may not work for everyone it may depend on what you have in your system. Do not use an external drive that is USB 2.0 it transfer speed while a little better than USB 1 it still not fast enough to keep up.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen