Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update on The Sims 4 Help Center

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2018
    kreatora wrote: »
    What will happen with the regular deterioration of the Gallery? By the way - the Gallery broke down just a moment ago once more.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16650963/#Comment_16650963

You can also report that at AHQ. Currently, there's a dedicated thread here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Gallery-Issues-Please-post-here/td-p/6951715/. Current issue has already been forwarded.
    kreatora wrote: »
    We will also have to report the list of additional elements in our games by completing the registration conditions?

Bit unsure what you mean by that ? If you're talking about the template for bugs, that's only necessary if you're reporting a bug. If your posting in tech or game info (this is more for gameplay questions and feedback) you don't need to fill out the forum at all.

If you mean actual registration on the site and/or new member system like we have here: All you need is an origin account. You log in with that and post with that and there's no new member restrictions.

If you're unsure if something is a bug, you can post in tech first and we can help you figure out if you need to post in the bug forum or not.

Hope that answers your questions.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited August 2018
    Which one is easier and more convenient to the user reporting their issue, here on this forum, or at AHQ? Also, which is easier and more convenient for those helping them? Currently, there's far more users here registered than at AHQ, so it's going to be a slow process getting everyone's issues moved over onto AHQ from here. There are still reports in this place that have still gone unanswered and unaddressed and you won't believe me how many players don't bother to make a report thread on AHQ of their problem if there wasn't one already made present. If we want to start utilising AHQ more for the eventual close at the end of this month, we'll have to start moving people's issues there now, since after every patch it's always this section that becomes the busiest every time.

Understanding the basic psychology of a community and its people, there will still be many very lost and very confused players upon the final transition, no matter how many helpful sticky threads you link them to. People don't like change, especially when it's sudden.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    That is true. All we can do is educate and hope for the best. Believe me, I'm scared to death of the change myself. While I'm convinced this is for the best and have secretly hoped for this since Sims 4 came out, it's huge.

From a user point of view, the one they know is always more convenient, cause learning something new is tough. From the point of view from us helping, I strongly believe that one dedicated place is the best thing. AHQ was designed from the start to be that: A place for tech help and bug reports. It has the tools necessary (me toos and the ability to mark threads as solved and highlight solutions, as an example) that give the devs easy access to information and the concept of user help user gives access to a vast amount of knowledge (just like we had here)

Since all EA Games are consolidated there, we can also profit from so much knowledge from other people that can jump in with the fresh ideas of what worked in their games (even if that's Battlefield). For me, this symbiosis has been a great experience and it's been a wild ride.

I'm convinced that many people will at first post their issues in general discussion or the pack forums cause they don't know where to go and what to do but I think especially @rosemow, but also others are already doing a great job re-directing people to the right posts to get help. It's a team effort and yes, change will be slow but I hope rather sooner than later, everyone will just feel so comfortable going over to AHQ as they are posting here.

AHQ has been around for 6 years and I've been there for the whole time. There have already been so many changes and while at first we almost only got people asking about origin issues or code problems and we had to send 90% to them to customer support, it is now at a point where we even start getting chatting and social interaction beyond the helping.

It's really difficult to do this right but a gradually moving people over is also difficult. We've known for a little over 2 weeks now and tbh, I'm not seeing a lot of change. People still post here rather than there. So, even if you give them 2 or 3 month advance, I don't think we would see a change until the clean cut is done.

I am pretty confident that while not every thread that was ever posted here has an equivalent at AHQ, most of the bugs do - thanks to the helpers here that have been sending them over once a bug was identified.

All we can do is wait and see how it goes and animate people to post their issues :D
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I honestly do not see this change as a problem. The login is still the ID Origin + Password, so users do not need to make an additional registration in the AHQ. What's more, when players click on the Help Center section here in the official forum of The Sims 4, it will automatically be directed to where they want to go, so there are no problems.

My only criticism is regarding the AHQ layout. Does not look very friendly to me. The internal look of the topics could be better.
    tenor.gif
  • BittersweetBittersweet Posts: 23 Member
    I'll try to be optimistic about the change to EA answers since it does seem like requiring you to give details like what game version you're on, if CC and mods are installed, patch info, etc., should be helpful for trying to hopefully narrow down bug causes.

The layout is confusing though. There is a 100 page thread for an issue I was having (with the Origin installer) and somebody had a solution that worked for me. I wrote a reply to say the post from #9xx was the solution that worked and mentioned the post number to make it easier for other readers, but since then, the post numbers keep increasing and that post is now ~10 numbers higher. I also thought I had clicked on "reply" to that post, but I don't remember seeing an option to quote the solution post.

I noticed there's three dots in the upper right corner of the posts to "get shareable link." I guess that's the only option we have to get as close to quoting a reply or redirecting someone to a specific post?
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    All we can do is educate and hope for the best. Believe me, I'm scared to death of the change myself.
    They could actually do much more. Im not scared of change. Im scared of change that isnt progress.
    It should be more intuitive, easier to navigate, less clutter, and players spam ban requests in the technical issues section (hint: give battlefront 2 players a method to report players ingame) and so on.

They could look at the biggest issues and then do something about them. The "sims not responding to commands/simulation lag" comes to mind. This topic gets a new version with each new expansion now. You know best because you start each topic. After nearly two years of no progress I dont have the impression that it will be fixed. It already nearly vanished from here to be debated somewhere else to not get fixed.
    From a user point of view, the one they know is always more convenient, cause learning something new is tough.
    From a user point of view I find this offensive. Especially considering that AHQ isnt very intuitive. And I say that as a more experienced user of the internet. After 20 years of gaming and forum experience I can say that.
    Sometimes I had to make one bug report several times due to login issues or horrific scripts, it wants the same information at two parts of the report and so on. So of course this forum is more convenient because its not a messy platform.
    From the point of view from us helping, I strongly believe that one dedicated place is the best thing.
    From the point of view from us playing, I dont have the strong impression that its solving most problems. Problems about certain games are more present over there, yes. Many problems come up again and again. Finding a solution that should have been in the game a long time ago because of all the reports is not what I can consider "dedicated" or "the best thing". Its frustrating most of the time due to the sheer amount of topics about the same bug. The best thing would to fix the bugs after several years.
    And the survey (which Im taking right now) is suggesting I found a solution. I didnt. It should be changed to "Did you find a solution?" including the next question on the difficulty to find the information I received (which I didnt find).
    It has the tools necessary (me toos and the ability to mark threads as solved and highlight solutions, as an example) that give the devs easy access to information and the concept of user help user gives access to a vast amount of knowledge (just like we had here)
    Yet the bugs and multiple reports about the same bugs are still there instead of fixes. There is only so much we users can do like restarting, repair through origin client, update drivers and ingame settings. If the bug doesnt get fixed for over a year then those tools are useless. It only adds to the frustration.
    And how is this "me too" button helping when there is a game breaking bug? How many have to hit that button before its a priority? Especially when some bugs are several years old. I just dont understand this wierd priority system.
    Since all EA Games are consolidated there, we can also profit from so much knowledge from other people that can jump in with the fresh ideas of what worked in their games (even if that's Battlefield).
    Actually the people that used this page will add to the knowledge over there, not the other way around.
    yes, change will be slow but I hope rather sooner than later, everyone will just feel so comfortable going over to AHQ as they are posting here.
    I used both for over 2 years and no, I dont feel comfortable over there at all. Over there it feels like being led into the desert to die. And I dont want to go into certain "tips" that suggest to disable security software or the firewall by EA posters. Thats rather appaling "help"!
    I get asked about problems with games by users all the time and I would never suggest for them to go there. Its a nightmare for me as an experienced user. The word for their experience over there hasnt been invented yet!
    It's really difficult to do this right but a gradually moving people over is also difficult. We've known for a little over 2 weeks now and tbh, I'm not seeing a lot of change. People still post here rather than there.
    I have the AHQ open right now and I cant see a sims 4 section in the games community list (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Games/ct-p/games-en). I can only find the game by manually searching on the main page for it.
    It would be MUCH easier if that got adressed asap.
    I am pretty confident that while not every thread that was ever posted here has an equivalent at AHQ, most of the bugs do - thanks to the helpers here that have been sending them over once a bug was identified.
    I say it as often as it needs to be said. We dont get help here for old bugs so we are sent somewhere else where other people talk about the issue but no solution is available. And a solution for some bugs should not be there anymore but should have been patched so people dont have to go through these inconveniences.
    All we can do is wait and see how it goes and animate people to post their issues :D
    Which has been working fine over here the past years. Outsourcing a problem into the hands of a barely present support doesnt motivate me. Answers from support are rare actually. Most of the people answering are users with the same problem.
    I rather ask google and find either a solution somewhere with only a chance to be directed to AHQ or I find a solution with also only a chance to be directed to AHQ.
    If there is a problem with a game it should be fixed ON THEIR END. Unless its really a specific hardware issue. Sending people to a remote website to talk about the issue or to hit a "me too" button is not helping after a certain time has passed.

So I dont have much understanding for this change because it doesnt really change anything for the big issues. The change needed isnt even hinted by the people in charge. I could shake my head all day because of that.
    edited August 2018
    I'll try to be optimistic about the change to EA answers since it does seem like requiring you to give details like what game version you're on, if CC and mods are installed, patch info, etc., should be helpful for trying to hopefully narrow down bug causes.

The layout is confusing though. There is a 100 page thread for an issue I was having (with the Origin installer) and somebody had a solution that worked for me. I wrote a reply to say the post from #9xx was the solution that worked and mentioned the post number to make it easier for other readers, but since then, the post numbers keep increasing and that post is now ~10 numbers higher. I also thought I had clicked on "reply" to that post, but I don't remember seeing an option to quote the solution post.

I noticed there's three dots in the upper right corner of the posts to "get shareable link." I guess that's the only option we have to get as close to quoting a reply or redirecting someone to a specific post?

There's a quote link in the upper right corner when you click on Reply that you can just click (I'll add picture tomorrow)

I'll add that to my tutorial tomorrow.

@Zasz Don't feel anything I can say is going to change your mind but I wanted to say thanks for that link that's missing Sims. Wasn't aware of that (don't think I've ever been on that page). I have forwarded this. If you find further issues like this, please report them here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Answers-HQ/bd-p/AnswerHQHelp
    Post edited by crinrict on
    AHQ Tutorial

@Zasz Don't feel anything I can say is going to change your mind
    The only thing that can change my mind is reason and evidence.
    @crinrict It's weird, I'm not seeing the quote option. Thanks for deciding to add a pic and for working on a tutorial.
    Hi @Bittersweet

I've updated my post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Welcome-to-the-Sims-Section-of-AHQ/td-p/6931624#Quote .. hopefully that helps you find it.

@Zasz: I just feel that the things you're pointing out are more about the game issues not getting fixed then the actual platform it's being reported on. I could make a pro/contra forum how I see it for each forum but that might be very much in the eye of the beholder.

I just think it's better to have one platform instead of two because there's a lot of help done twice, especially if users post on both platforms to begin with or is being sent back and forth, which isn't a desirable solution.
    AHQ Tutorial

@Zasz: I just feel that the things you're pointing out are more about the game issues not getting fixed then the actual platform it's being reported on.
    Its both. If the bug reporting doesnt lead to fixes then it doesnt matter where bugs are being reported to be ignored. And the mess at AHQ should be fixed.
    I just think it's better to have one platform instead of two because there's a lot of help done twice, especially if users post on both platforms to begin with or is being sent back and forth, which isn't a desirable solution.
    I agree.
    The desirable solution then is to fix the old and big bugs so people dont have to go through any of it. In the end we users arent the solution, the fixes are. Which I dont see happening.

Its an endless cycle. And it sucks.
    @Zasz: Sims has now been added to this page: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Games/ct-p/games-en .. thanks for your feedback on that.
    AHQ Tutorial

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    @crinrict, who decides over there what gets forwarded to gurus to fix? There are a zillion complaints here some are bugs some are game design, but I was wondering who decides what is more important to be passed along to the team? How many complaints etc. has to be Me Too-ed inorder to be passed on? Like the broken suspect bug in GTW? How will anyone here know if that (going on three years) has ever been solved/fixed?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PerfectSorrowPerfectSorrow Posts: 58 Member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed parents setting their toddlers down through walls?? Like they walk into a room then set the kid down and the kid ends up in the adjacent room and has to toddle through the house to finish the interaction?
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @crinrict, who decides over there what gets forwarded to gurus to fix? There are a zillion complaints here some are bugs some are game design, but I was wondering who decides what is more important to be passed along to the team? How many complaints etc. has to be Me Too-ed inorder to be passed on? Like the broken suspect bug in GTW? How will anyone here know if that (going on three years) has ever been solved/fixed?

I forward everything that doesn't seem to be mod related or a misunderstanding. So, basically, troubleshooting first, if it's a issue, I forward it, no matter how small. It's then up to the devs/QA to continue from there and decided what gets fixed in what order.

It really depends on the bug as well as numbers affected how fast something gets fixed. Example: Screenshot issue. Has now around 300 me toos and the gurus already said it will be fixed in the next patch. There was also the issue where almost everyone had a an error 102. That got fixed pretty quickly. AHQ isn't the only source though but different from reddit and Twitter, it's a good place to follow up on stuff and post new info as it's found (if someone posts a new finding, I also forward this). Any info helps the gurus as Sims is such a complex game with a gazillion possibilities on how to play the game. Usually if something is design, a guru will post saying so and I'll tag them as by design for everyone to know.

I def. encourage people to bump threads that are still issues that haven't had an answer in two/three month to show that these bugs are still there and a problem. Always test if the issue is still there though and also follow up with your report in case there were questions.

@PerfectSorrow Haven't heard about toddlers but here's a thread for interactions through walls: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Sims-interacting-through-walls-closed-doors/td-p/6520704/jump-to/first-unread-message
    AHQ Tutorial

• EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @crinrict the SimGurus and the entire AnswersHQ team deserve a huge round of applause. The work tirelessly investigating and coordinating all the issues posted there.
    I frequent that site on a regular basis. I can see a big plus to keeping everything in one place.

Please remember a lot of people helping there are players just like you and me.
    Be kind... be courteous... be patient.

I forward everything that doesn't seem to be mod related or a misunderstanding. So, basically, troubleshooting first, if it's a issue, I forward it, no matter how small. It's then up to the devs/QA to continue from there and decided what gets fixed in what order.

It really depends on the bug as well as numbers affected how fast something gets fixed. Example: Screenshot issue. Has now around 300 me toos and the gurus already said it will be fixed in the next patch. There was also the issue where almost everyone had a an error 102. That got fixed pretty quickly. AHQ isn't the only source though but different from reddit and Twitter, it's a good place to follow up on stuff and post new info as it's found (if someone posts a new finding, I also forward this). Any info helps the gurus as Sims is such a complex game with a gazillion possibilities on how to play the game. Usually if something is design, a guru will post saying so and I'll tag them as by design for everyone to know.

I def. encourage people to bump threads that are still issues that haven't had an answer in two/three month to show that these bugs are still there and a problem. Always test if the issue is still there though and also follow up with your report in case there were questions.

@PerfectSorrow Haven't heard about toddlers but here's a thread for interactions through walls: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Sims-interacting-through-walls-closed-doors/td-p/6520704/jump-to/first-unread-message

Great! Ty I’ll have a read
    @crinrict not quite what I mean. But close. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
    Then maybe create your own report. This is just an informational thread about how it's going to work in the future so it would be better if you made a report in the bug forum.

@crinrict not quite what I mean. But close. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

AHQ Tutorial

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Thank you @crinrict, we appreciate all the hard work you did for TS3 players and now TS4, it sure seems like a lot more work is going to be laid at your feet if all posts go there instead of here. Good luck with that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Thanks for your words. @cinebar.

I try my best :D
    AHQ Tutorial

Ooh, thanks. I can't believe I missed that quote link, lol. Those pictures are really helpful and including the suggestion to subscribe to a thread is a good idea I didn't think of. I'll definitely read everything you wrote. Thanks a lot for that tutorial (and all the other hard work you do).
    You're welcome. Glad that helped.
    AHQ Tutorial

the SimGurus and the entire AnswersHQ team deserve a huge round of applause. The work tirelessly investigating and coordinating all the issues posted there.
    This is a conflicting topic.

A part of me agrees. But their presence on this forum often suggests otherwise. If you had written a lone topic to thank them I bet my simhouse one would respond to that in the middle of 10 debates about issues while not posting anything in those other more important topics. This is nothing new in the gaming industry.
    The other part looks at the useless patches and silence when it comes to the big bugs and has something else in mind.

So I cant decide if I want to spank or pet the gurus.
  • kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2018
    I do not understand one thing,
    Who was bothered by fact that there is a Help Center section in the forum, only players have been running this department for years. Sometimes crinrict was also in there - by the way thanks a lot for it..
    There was never bad advice there. When the solution was not ready, the player was directed to EA Help and even received a link to the problem.
    Never EA employees had to deal with it.
    Who didn't like this?
    Is this the first announcement of liquidation of the USA forum?
    Post edited by kreatora on
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ