Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

processor: dual, quad ...

hey, I was wondering which would be best to play the sims 4 and it's expansions: dual core or quad core? I'm currently looking at a site that custom builds pc's and these are the options for the processor:
AMD FM2 A4-5300 Dual Core 3,4GHz
AMD FM2 A6-6400K Dual Core 3,9GHz
AMD FM2 A8-6600K Quad Core 3,9GHz
AMD FM2 A10-6800K Quad Core 4,1GHz
AMD FM2 A6-6400K Dual Core 3,9GHz

I don't know much about pc's so maybe you could help? :*

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey isabelleDG I perfer Intel processors, so i5 is great for gaming, for amd try to avoid the A series see if you can instead afford fx series
  • IsabelleDGIsabelleDG Posts: 10 New Member
    Thankyou for your fast response! Will this one do? AMD Zambezi FX-4300 Quad Core
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    I believe the AMD FX 4300 has the Vishera core. I have a AMD FX 6100 with the Zambezi core. I've had no problems with the 6100 but the newer version of the 6100 is the 6300 with the Vishera core and is $10 more then the 4300. Unlike the AMD A series the fx cores do not have a video chip so you will need a video card or the motherboard must have a video chip in the chipset. Depending on the motherboard (or laptop) the A series may not have dedicated video memory.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
    This is what I'm currently looking at:

AMD Vishera FX-6300, Six Core
    MSI 970A-G43
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 12GB DDR3-1600
    Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    1000 GB Sata III

Is it good enough?
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'd heard that it (as 32 bit software)can't take advantage of more than two cores. Someone who knows what they are talking about want to chime in?
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    IsabelleDG wrote: »
    This is what I'm currently looking at:

AMD Vishera FX-6300, Six Core
    MSI 970A-G43
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 12GB DDR3-1600
    Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    1000 GB Sata III

Is it good enough?
    Will play the game on ultra with no issues.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

so (just to be sure), the A series aren't good enough to play the sims 4 and it's expansions on high settings?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    the game with all added eps and gps as they come out requires AMD fx series or intel i5 processor. As the game progresses and you add more the game will require more of your computer.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I would go with the quad core and over 2.5 Ghz, dual cores are being phased out.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I honestly would rather have an AMD processor over an Intel.

Intel is too popular - AMD needs love too. B)
    colton147 wrote: »

Intel is popular for a reason.. its the best.
    you cannot say which you would rather if you haven't really had either :) (desktop that is.. not laptop.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

you cannot say which you would rather if you haven't really had either :) (desktop that is.. not laptop.)

Question don't you also need more cores to run the AMD ? or its it just that I always see AMD with more cores than intel.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited April 2015

Question don't you also need more cores to run the AMD ? or its it just that I always see AMD with more cores than intel.
    AMD be like:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFk8MxBltUloTPkola_vI_HhYFifyBEThq2lqfjpdGImC2zvFxHA

EDIT: Anyway, you are correct. XD
    edited April 2015

Intel is almost always more efficient with single core performance... and has overall better performance, however its more expensive. and AMD I think overclocks better, and is cheaper.
    so basically comes down to price and performance lol.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Intel is almost always more efficient with single core performance... and has overall better performance, however its more expensive. and AMD I think overclocks better, and is cheaper.

I have always has Intel. Well you know me with price with my over the top mobo LMAO
    edited April 2015

I have always has Intel. Well you know me with price with my over the top mobo LMAO
    lol yes that overkill mobo.. you know you will only get your moneys worth out of the mobo if you want to tinker with the software and bios... otherwise it just sits there looking pretty :D
    I have had 1 AMD and that thing heated up like no tomorrow lol.. wasn't very efficient. (that's was a while ago though.) since then only had intel.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

lol yes that overkill mobo.. you know you will only get your moneys worth out of the mobo if you want to tinker with the software and bios... otherwise it just sits there looking pretty :D
    I have had 1 AMD and that thing heated up like no tomorrow lol.. wasn't very efficient. (that's was a while ago though.) since then only had intel.

I have learned to tinker a little bit so will see :D
    I'm also wondering wether 12 GB isn’t too much?
    edited April 2015
    IsabelleDG wrote: »
    I'm also wondering wether 12 GB isn’t too much?

are you playing other games besides the sims? There are some newer games that require 8gb ram. If you not playing some higher end newer games and don't muti task 8gb ram would be fine
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    All my systems uses Intel and I have only one system with an AMD chip, I have used both chips in the past and I like to keep AMD floating because I hate to see Intel become an monopoly. However, I will not buy crap just to keep an company open. Intel runs cleaner than AMD but AMD can still play the games and should not matter unless you are an hardcore gamer or a scientist building rockets.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • QueenEliana4QueenEliana4 Posts: 8 New Member
    I am looking for a MacBook Pro to play sims 4 on. I really want a MacBook Pro without the touch bar but I don’t know Ideas dual core processors will run sims 4 with lots of cc and on medium settings. Here’s the specs on what I’m looking at:
    2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    512GB SSD storage
    Will this run sims 4 smoothly with medium settings and with cc and mods?
  • QueenEliana4QueenEliana4 Posts: 8 New Member
    ^ oops forgot to mention intel iris plus graphics 640
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there @QueenEliana4, this thread is quite old so it may be better to ask this question in a thread that's more recent. I'd also advise maybe asking in this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816379/new-to-the-sims-4-on-mac-look-no-further/p7? Hope that helps. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top