Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Color wheel or scale objects?

Comments

• Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    CAST
    The color wheel took customization to a whole new level, and it's a feature that I'm sure everyone sorely misses. I know I do.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    CAST
    skelebee wrote: »
    The color wheel took customization to a whole new level, and it's a feature that I'm sure everyone sorely misses. I know I do.

Same here, though obviously there are people who don't for various reasons.

There were so many objects in TS3 that I was able to make usable because I had control of the textures.
    Wood grain floors that I wouldn't normally use, I was able to turn into something perfect for my needs just by adjusting the color of the different grains. Store content that was meh, I was able to change into something cooler.

Oh and sim clothing and the Sims Studio's definition of black and white (dark grey and blueish/greyish white), I was able to change to the pure black and pure white I wanted. I prefer full blown Cast though, not just the color wheel. I have so much more creative freedom in TS3.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited July 2018
    CAST
    CASt has always been my #1 want for TS4. At this point I’d settle for a color wheel, but they’ve said that they would have to redo every item in the game in order for that to work. Sadly I’ve learned to make do with Sims 4 Studio for recoloring objects (which is an awesome tool, by the way).

I don’t resize objects very often because there’s such a large difference between each incremental size increase/decrease. You go from something that’s a little bit too small to something huge and too big to use. There doesn’t seem to be anything in between.
  • Options
    LilyCandyCatLilyCandyCat Posts: 3 New Member
    CAST
    CAST is pretty much essential to the Sims games, I cannot believe they removed it. I hope they add it again, everybody wants it back...
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't really care about seeing the color wheel return because in TS3 it lagged CAS like crazy atleast for me. Now casting I don't know what it is but probably not. I think they need to add color backgrounds to CAS.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I think a Sims 2 body shop that is easy to use would be a good compromise.

This. Sort of.
    So long as it also works for objects, and includes a colourwheel.
    Basically I want a separate program, that allows you to make the colour changes within that program, then upload the recolours direct to your game. No risk of it causing lag, because it's a separate program.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I really miss the variety of colors and patterns with CAST....... plus we already have the ability to size up and down.... and truthfully I don’t use it near as much as I would a color wheel.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    CAST
    It will probably never happen, but this would be awesome. I really can't see them going back to recode channels for every single object already released. It might be doable, but it would be extremely time consuming.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    CAST
    I find myself outside of the game, recoloring in GIMP, much more often than I scale objects. So CASt, most definitely.

But don't get me wrong, I really like scaling. However, recoloring on the fly is much, much more useful to the way that I use a Sims game.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    CAST
    Can't we already scale objects?
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2018
    CAST
    I rarely use scaling outside of placing art on the walls and I could do with or without it.
    I miss CASt, but as others have mentioned, something like Sims 2 body shop could be an easier solution.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited July 2018
    CAST
    I seldom rescale objects, because they often look peculiar, but I would love to be able to recolor objects again, if only so that I could get my furnishings to match! Not that I expect it to happen.
  • Options
    cabx88cabx88 Posts: 20 Member
    CAST
    I would LOVE a color wheel. Some of the clothes or items are nice but just not the colors I want :)
  • Options
    WooldropWooldrop Posts: 89 Member
    CAST
    The color wheel is the thing I miss most in TS4. It was a huge adjustment not being able to change fabrics and textures. Now I feel like every sim has the same outfit and sofa. I miss how unique things could be.
    Gallery ID: WoolDrop

My Creations Thread is HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @DropWool
  • Options
    OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    edited July 2018
    CAST
    The color wheel is super laggy, but sometimes I miss being able to make furniture match. There are things that could go together but they aren't the same colors and the color wheel would let them match. Plus, the color wheel allowed furniture to feel completely different each time I used it.

Edit: Poor grammar fixes
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Can't we already scale objects?

yes. point was if you could just pick either scaling objects or cast :)
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    CAST
    I don't just want CASt for matching furniture (though we need that, too) but in TS3 one of the coolest things I did was create the illusion I had a painting on the wall by using two different wall papers (one was paneling) so the room looked like it had this huge picture framed. It was a sports painting for a kid's room. It looked like they had framed a big painting of a game. That was pretty cool. And being able to disguise an object to have the illusion (by different patterns) of being something else. CASt had endless possibilites. Not just color matching. And if I wanted my Sims to have graying temples etc. That is easy to do by manipulating the three dots of hair color. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    CAST
    Anmirla wrote: »
    It will probably never happen, but this would be awesome. I really can't see them going back to recode channels for every single object already released. It might be doable, but it would be extremely time consuming.

This is my same thoughts as well - as they would need to add color channels to every single thing in the game other wise everything would just be one color. I do not want wood trim the same color as the fabrics - that sounds pretty blah - but what we would end up with without them adding color channels to all the base objects. - But seeing I never use the scaling myself - if they were willing to add color channels to every thing in the game - then my answer is definitely CAST. I love CASt in Sims 3 and I never have lag or any issues in Sims 3 - definitely not with CASt, CAS, CAP in Sims 3. In fact I don't see how something as simple as recoloring an item in build mode would affect LIVE mode. That puzzles me. Recoloring something - it's just a visual thing and not a solid thing. So I don't get how CASt could ever create lag.

At most it may slow down Build mode or CAS if you save all your recolor swatches and your pc (or internet) is not very fast, but live play should not be affected by a color change any more than choosing colors from pre-made Maxis swatches. All CASt was actually was the ability to make our own color swatches - and all objects/items in game had color channels added to them when they were made.

ETA: I honestly cannot see them doing that - myself - as that would be a huge undertaking - plus if they did it for us they would have to do it for console or there might be issues with them using our games to make the console version this go round.

What might be possible at the very least is a copy of the tool they use to make their own swatches - maybe just let us make more colors of the swatches they give us - some how - that work with the recoloring system they presently use.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2018
    I dont want cast back. I'd prefer having the option to choose wood colour and bedding seperately like in the sims 2, that's what I really miss having when returning to sims 4. I'd love a colourwheel for skintones and haircolours but that's it. Cast would make cas horrrrribly laggy (same for openworld unpopular opinion) so no I'd prefer my Cas to run smooth over having this back.
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    CAST
    This is a very difficult one bc I love both.
    The scale tool makes many things in building possible that we couldn't even dream in previous iterations, and is also super useful bc it multiplies the use of many (especially décor) opbjects by giving bigger and smaller options.

However, I feel you can customize more with CAST. Even a simple colour wheel would be so useful. TS4 has a habit of making sets that don't match with the majority of other sets in the game bc of mismatched swatches. There are applications that allow you to easily recolour things outside of the game, but of course in-game is ideal so I don't have to either plan my builds vigorously or just reload the game a thousand times to get things right.
  • Options
    SimanthropySimanthropy Posts: 223 Member
    CAST
    CAST all the way, i just can't when i can't seem to match outfits, furniture and such. I also miss my two or more toned hair colors.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    CAST
    CAST.

Although we already have Scaling it renders most of the objects unusable unless it is decor.
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    CAST
    Easily the color wheel.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    We can already scale objects but I do wish they would make the scaling more subtle. It seems to go from normal to twice as big and I'd love a couple of slots in between. So, more graduation in scaling.

As for the Color Wheel, if they added a CW to the game, it would only work for any new build/buy items added after CW was added due to the fact that old, existing objects won't have the CW programing attached and to back up and add that to each and every object (even if it were possible) would be daunting and so time consuming, we might not see anything new for a while.

So, as a possible solution, if they added a Decorator career with a selection of items in that pack that were recolorable for that career, it might be a small work around. But future items probably wouldn't be part of the CW options, just the ones in the Decorator pack.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    CAST
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I dont want cast back. I'd prefer having the option to choose wood colour and bedding seperately like in the sims 2, that's what I really miss having when returning to sims 4. I'd love a colourwheel for skintones and haircolours but that's it. Cast would make cas horrrrribly laggy (same for openworld unpopular opinion) so no I'd prefer my Cas to run smooth over having this back.

I used to think that. But when I went from 2.5 processors to 3.5 proccessors, no more lag in loading the thumbnails. :)