March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 on Mac Lagging, shutting down and soooo slow!

Hi there, I bought sims 4 last week and its is running soooo slow! I use to play sims 3 on the same laptop and it never ran this slow!
The game has randomly shut down as well, and the mouse is liked delayed by a couple seconds, once i click takes aggges for any reaction, I have changed all my graphic settings and currently have it on low settings, will work fast for about 5 mins then goes back to being extremely slow!

any tips are appreciated! :)

Comments

• Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    Before I can start to give good advice, I will need to know your system specifications.
    If you click the Apple Logo in the menu bar, and select "About this Mac". I am interested in what kind of Mac you have, your processor, memory and graphics card. (If you have a Mac with two graphics cards you will need to dig a little to find the second one - Click Systemreport, and select "Graphics/Display")
  • virgo266virgo266 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi there, thanks for your reply!
    Processor 2.5 GHz intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Thank you!
    Okay, you are not the first to experience problems with the Intel HD 4000 graphics card.
    Let's try theese settings:
    Display Type - Full Screen
    Resolution - 1280x800
    Retina Resolution: off (if it's available)
    Vertical Sync - No
    Sims – Medium
    Objects - Medium
    Lighting – Low or Medium
    Reflections - Low or Medium
    Visual Effects - Medium
    Edge Smoothing - low, maybe medium
    3D Scene Resolution - Low
    View Distance - Low
    Uncompressed Sim Textures - No
    Post Processing Effects - No
    Laptop Mode - No

And to control your amount of frames per second, open the cheat console by holding down CTRL + SHIFT and then pressing C. Type: fps on
    and hit return. The amount of frames per second should be shown in the lower left corner.

The funny thing with the sims 4 is, that even at a low setting most things look okay. And turning up the effects requires a lot of power.

But try this at first. I would like to know your FPS average. If it works I can give good advice to others, and if it doesn't work, I have an idea of how far I am off.
  • virgo266virgo266 Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you so much for reply! Ive changed all the settings and still having the same problem!
    I appreciate you helping so much!
    I have turned on the fps but the number keeps changing.
    I know the FPS change all the game, but where is it most of the time, around 15 or 20 fps or...?
  • TheSimmerOfSimsTheSimmerOfSims Posts: 32 New Member
    Mine's doing the same thing! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!

Also if I 'tab out' of the game my mac is much slower than usual.

I just got Get To Work, and it didn't happen before that...
    I am suffering from a similar problem as well, think the March patch messed something up.
    However I did discover, that if I turned all the settings to low, applied them, and then turned them up again to my normal settings the performance was restored.

• 007Ecko007Ecko Posts: 22 Member
    Since getting Get To Work my game has been slow too and sort of freezes for like 20 seconds, where the time in the game speeds up, my sim is frozen, her wants and needs start to decrease, I can't click on anything, then after the 20 seconds it goes back in time (right before it froze) and my sim can move again and I can click on things. It does it like every 2 minutes. Really annoying. I didn't have a problem until Get To Work. I have a MacBook Pro. Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB. Software: Lion. Yes I do realize I'm running the game on minimum specification, but it was running just fine before.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The March patch and GTW seemed to have caused quite a few problems. It doesn't bode well for future EPs.
    apple-signature.png
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The March patch and GTW seemed to have caused quite a few problems. It doesn't bode well for future EPs.

It did fix some issues such as the Reach Level of Career goals and more than one Sim being able to grab food from the fridge at the same time. Some others are not such as Sims autonomously drinking, Sims Napping instead of Sleeping, and some Sims tending to Troll autonomously.

I really like to know what problems version 1.5 (March update) of TS4 caused on the Mac version of The Sims 4.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

I really like to know what problems version 1.5 (March update) of TS4 caused on the Mac version of The Sims 4.

- Slower loading times, specifically from selecting the household to actually playing them. Also travelling.
    - Increased lag on lower spec. machines. Probably due to the integrated GPUs.
    - More frequent vmmap crashes (memory related).
    - Sims sometimes stand around motionless, like the game is trying to catch up. More frequent since the patch.

apple-signature.png

- Slower loading times, specifically from selecting the household to actually playing them. Also travelling.
    - Increased lag on lower spec. machines. Probably due to the integrated GPUs.
    - More frequent vmmap crashes (memory related).
    - Sims sometimes stand around motionless, like the game is trying to catch up. More frequent since the patch.

I found a Mac Simmer known as scarymary378 posting a thread about Time Buttons lagging who said that they have a MacBook Pro running on Medium settings. I'm thinking the lag that scarymary378 is experiencing could be linked to the issues mentioned in this thread. scarymary378 didn't state which MacBook Pro was used but I'm guessing it's probably the 13" MacBook Pro. I'm not sure when the user will reply since I haven't seen his/her reply today.
  • scarymary378scarymary378 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited April 2015
    @WinMacSims3 , Hey there, you are correct on my Macbook pro being 13", Processor 2.8 GHz intel core i7, memory: 4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
  • iAv3rag3iAv3rag3 Posts: 9 New Member
    the same thing is happening to me as well! Except, my buildings have disappeared - literally! The house I created and even the hospital that my sims work at ): And I haven't used CC or anything else! What to do?!
  • RaindropsRaindrops Posts: 389 Member
    Intel integrated chips are poop for running games.
    tumblr_oc39b9Vin11se7bv3o2_r1_500.gif
    @iAV3rag3 @green_mau which Macs do you have?

I'm adding this to the bug thread because it's so widespread.
    apple-signature.png
    I wrote earlier about how my sim would freeze, the lagging thing. Well I ended up placing the sims 4 folder on my desktop, loading the game to create a new folder, then only saving the trays folder. I have now played for at least 6 hours in the past two days and have not had a single problem. My sims are not lagging anymore, everything loads faster, no more crashing when I try to travel somewhere, etc. So starting my game brand new helped, but I did have to get rid of all my saved stuff. Anyways my problem could have been due to the memory issue, so it will probably happen again the more I play, and save games.
    I found a similar issue on EA Answers (thanks for @luthienrising for telling me about the similar problem) that also affects Windows users so it's not just the Mac users experiencing lag problems. However, I don't think any of the Mac users mentioned anything about socializing freezing the game which SHODAN001 (from EA Answers) experienced.
    007Ecko wrote: »
    I wrote earlier about how my sim would freeze, the lagging thing. Well I ended up placing the sims 4 folder on my desktop, loading the game to create a new folder, then only saving the trays folder. I have now played for at least 6 hours in the past two days and have not had a single problem. My sims are not lagging anymore, everything loads faster, no more crashing when I try to travel somewhere, etc. So starting my game brand new helped, but I did have to get rid of all my saved stuff. Anyways my problem could have been due to the memory issue, so it will probably happen again the more I play, and save games.

Could it have been your previous graphics settings? Have you changed them from the default ones since starting a clean game?
    apple-signature.png
    @bluebellflora no I didn't change my graphics. I've kept everything at low, like I had before. My mac is like 5 years old. I started having the lagging and crashing when I installed GTW ep. So I wasn't too optimistic that creating a new sims 4 folder would fix my problem. I think there might have been a bug or something in my save folder. I did try to do a cheat to make the Grimm reaper part of my household, and I feel like after that is when the crashing might have started, but the sims freezing lagging thing happened after installing GTW. So who knows. I have a feeling the more I play and the more households I save into the game will start to make my game crash and sims freeze/lag again. Also I'm not doing anymore cheats, just in case that brought a bug.
  • iAv3rag3iAv3rag3 Posts: 9 New Member
    macbook air :/
  • Simmy4132Simmy4132 Posts: 1 New Member
    that advise really changed my life thanks
  • IAmTaylorAnnIAmTaylorAnn Posts: 2 New Member
    I was just speaking with a help advisor with EA and I've had this issue for a few months now, I know this is been over a year since anyone has posted in this particular thread, but the help advisor suggested moving the Sims 4 Documents folder to the desktop, launching the game so it creates a new Sims 4 doc folder and seeing if that helps. You'll lose your data, though.
  • parksjoparksjo Posts: 1 New Member
    Just turn on laptop mode
  • Renamed1807111650Renamed1807111650 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @parksjo said:
    > Just turn on laptop mode

Do you actually HAVE a (Mac) laptop…? There is no such thing as "laptop mode". If there was, don't you think we'd have all switched it on by now…?