Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So Frustrating

I'm starting to feel like whenever I play my game now, I'm walking on thin ice. I can't trust going to the map because the game crashes, and now I think I've got a limit to how many time I can save before it crashes mid-save. Playing on public lots is risky because the moment I move my camera, I'm seeing my desktop in seconds. Yes, I do have CC and mods, but I really don't want to take any of it out. Even my quality settings are low/medium except for my sims. Is there anything else I can do to maybe make this happen less? I'm tired of holding my breath when I do any of these things.
IMG-6587.gif

Comments

• Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    How long has this been happening?
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Felice_EnellenFelice_Enellen Posts: 102 Member
    Sounds like what might happen if you're out of memory.

Are you playing on PC or Mac, 32-bit or 64-bit, and how much ram do you have available when playing? How much VRAM on your video card?

Also, when you say "low settings, except for my sims" does that mean you've disabled compressed sim textures? Full-size sim textures can take a lot of RAM and/or VRAM.
  • sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member

A few weeks :(

Are you playing on PC or Mac, 32-bit or 64-bit, and how much ram do you have available when playing? How much VRAM on your video card?

Also, when you say "low settings, except for my sims" does that mean you've disabled compressed sim textures? Full-size sim textures can take a lot of RAM and/or VRAM.

I’m playing on a MacBook and I always make sure to free up some memory (I downloaded a computer cleaner) before playing. Not sure about VRAM or RAM (not so computer smart lol) and I have compressed sim textures enabled. For settings, lighting is on medium while others are low and sims are high.
    IMG-6587.gif
  • PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    I make sure all of my mods and CC are up to date, that's usually a huge problem. Also, you'd be surprised how much you don't miss all the yummy custom content when your game runs smoothly. This program takes all of the guesswork out of figuring out what's needs to go.
    It's gold :)modthesims.info/d/561550
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    PapayaSky wrote: »
    I make sure all of my mods and CC are up to date, that's usually a huge problem. Also, you'd be surprised how much you don't miss all the yummy custom content when your game runs smoothly. This program takes all of the guesswork out of figuring out what's needs to go.

I think some of this is right. I've been having problems with public crashes, like the festivals or outside of my sims homes, and usually if I pull out my mods folder [which I don't really use a lot so its not that devastating] my game runs a lot smoother.

May want to make sure all your mods are up to date, I think I need to do the same.
    Also thanks for the program @PapayaSky , I'm gonna try it!
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

PapayaSky wrote: »

I think some of this is right. I've been having problems with public crashes, like the festivals or outside of my sims homes, and usually if I pull out my mods folder [which I don't really use a lot so its not that devastating] my game runs a lot smoother.

May want to make sure all your mods are up to date, I think I need to do the same.
    Also thanks for the program @PapayaSky , I'm gonna try it!

I’m going to try this, too. There are a few cc hairs that I haven’t used also, so hopefully I can take them out using this. Thanks for the tips, @PapayaSky :)
    IMG-6587.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited February 2018
    Kerwinkle wrote: »

I’m playing on a MacBook and I always make sure to free up some memory (I downloaded a computer cleaner) before playing. Not sure about VRAM or RAM (not so computer smart lol) and I have compressed sim textures enabled. For settings, lighting is on medium while others are low and sims are high.

@Kerwinkle what model MacBook are you playing on?

I do not recommend playing above Medium graphics on any MacBook aside from the 15” MBP with Retina display. I’d be cautious running the game at all on a MacBook Air, or the standard MacBook. I also recommend turning off uncompressed Sim textures and post processing effects. That enables more graphically intensive effects in game.

Setting your graphics to a uniform setting may help (low, low-medium, or medium) - you said you have some low, some medium, and some high. It also might help to turn edge smoothing off. If all else fails, you could try enabling laptop mode as a last resort to see if that helps with the crashing. Word of warning though, laptop mode will reduce visual quality across the entire game no matter what your settings are.

I am able to run the game on Medium settings on my 2015 retina MBP.
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Also, make sure that any time you add or remove mods/CC that you delete the localthumbcashe file in your Sims 4 folder. This file can cause glitches and problems any time something is changed. So even if you just remove one piece of CC, delete that file before restarting your game. The game will generate a new one when you start up again. It also wouldn't hurt to do a game repair in Origin just in case. One more thing, you can try playing offline too. Sometimes having gallery access can cause slowness and stuttering. Only reconnect when you really need to use it, then disconnect again.

Good luck! :)
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    Also, make sure that any time you add or remove mods/CC that you delete the localthumbcashe file in your Sims 4 folder. This file can cause glitches and problems any time something is changed. So even if you just remove one piece of CC, delete that file before restarting your game. The game will generate a new one when you start up again. It also wouldn't hurt to do a game repair in Origin just in case. One more thing, you can try playing offline too. Sometimes having gallery access can cause slowness and stuttering. Only reconnect when you really need to use it, then disconnect again.

Thanks!

I do not recommend playing above Medium graphics on any MacBook aside from the 15” MBP with Retina display. I’d be cautious running the game at all on a MacBook Air, or the standard MacBook. I also recommend turning off uncompressed Sim textures. That enables more graphically intensive effects in game.

Setting your graphics to a uniform setting may help (low, low-medium, or medium) - you said you have some low, some medium, and some high. It also might help to turn edge smoothing off. If all else fails, you could try enabling laptop mode as a last resort to see if that helps with the crashing. Word of warning though, laptop mode will reduce visual quality across the entire game no matter what your settings are.

I’m playing on a 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro. I’ll try out tweaking things in my game options and hope for the best. Thanks for the tips! I hope that someday I can save up and get a nice computer :)
    IMG-6587.gif
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I have to agree it could be broken CC or that your just starting to run out room. Even a combination of both.

Also, Is your gallery ID the same as here. I need to get the triplets back. In my game they're in a up and rising boy band who use my choreographer sim to choreograph their dance routines.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Thanks!

I do not recommend playing above Medium graphics on any MacBook aside from the 15” MBP with Retina display. I’d be cautious running the game at all on a MacBook Air, or the standard MacBook. I also recommend turning off uncompressed Sim textures. That enables more graphically intensive effects in game.

I’m playing on a 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro. I’ll try out tweaking things in my game options and hope for the best. Thanks for the tips! I hope that someday I can save up and get a nice computer :)

I used to have a 2012 MBP(although it was 13” instead of 15”) and i had to have the game set to low with laptop mode enabled. The 15” version (even on the 2012 models) has better components so it should be capable of running it a little better, probably not on high though.
  • aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Try repairing your game before removing all your fav mods.
    I have to agree it could be broken CC or that your just starting to run out room. Even a combination of both.

Also, Is your gallery ID the same as here. I need to get the triplets back. In my game they're in a up and rising boy band who use my choreographer sim to choreograph their dance routines.

Ah, my gallery name is no longer the same as on here, but unfortunately I lost the triplets when I took out my tray folder a while back. However, I have the sim in my sig shared to the gallery if you would like him. He's just a very updated version of the triplets. :D also, I have eye cc and stubble cc on him if you'd like the links (if you download him). My new gallery name is thenoodel :) Actually, I can try and recreate them if you prefer the older version?
    IMG-6587.gif
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Which 2012 15" MacBook Pro? There was a non-retina version with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512Mb, non-retina with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb and then a retina version with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb. How much RAM do you have installed? How much space is available on your HD? To find the full spec. of your Mac click on the Apple in the top left corner then About This Mac. Post everything listed on here (minus the serial number). To find out which NVIDIA card you have click on System Report then Graphics/Displays in the list on the left of the window that opens. Under Video Card on the right please list the details.

I have the 2012 model with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb and can happily play with all settings on high. With 5Gb of high poly CC it still plays well on high although sometimes there is slight lag but nothing that makes it unplayable. I updated the NVIDIA driver manually, not normal procedure on a Mac and can be risky, but it made a HUGE difference to the smoothness of the game.
    apple-signature.png