Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback

Back when The Sims 4 came out, one of the Guru’s gave us some insight as to why they can’t have more than one lot active in The Sims 4, with one of the reasons being Multitasking.

According to the Guru’s, Multitasking was too taxing on people’s processors to be active on more than one lot.

Apparently Sims are constantly aware of all the variables in which creates a sort of virtual mapping and too many variables can cause the game to slow down as the processor is constantly calculating all the options available, with multiple interactions at once.

Interestingly, The Sims Mobile was launched as a watered down Sims 4, and one of the features missing is multitasking HOWEVER the game has a semi-open world where multiple venues are available at once, and your Sim can travel between them without an issue (eg. A Sim can visit a Resturant and then visit the Hospital).

So it seems it really is a case of one or the other with current hardware, but what are your thoughts on it?

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens? 251 votes

No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
50%
CK213Stdlr9nickibitswardGoldmoldarBluefairy286IdontrcallcudleybabysimayanasimsJessa_DakkarAprilDawnFKM100KelleygirlWritin_RegAlrynnaricaraijustChrisUkWillowG145elanorbretonGoldenBuffyCynna 127 votes
Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
30%
icmnfrshLeGardePourpreCheesySimsLoveralan650111missmani09TWSimGamer82MLadyAzzeraWitchirisSimburiansimgirl1010RadioAChickenLadyDecafluthienrisingmommy19959699barracuda1574marcel21determigPurpleCheshire06Bon06Sim2Spore 76 votes
I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
19%
ehaught58ErpeBluefairy286LukeGalacticGalSid1701D9MsMayVibsekeekee53PeachesnDucksCinebarRoboSpongiezagboorulesfabemePegasysKLAlexisAnthonydyerjheyjuneicej3n1ynSonata13Singer 48 votes

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2018
    For me, the older Sims games feel so outdated without multitasking that it’s almost laughable.
    It’s weird to think Sims couldn’t listen to music while cooking, or watch TV and chat while working out at the Gym.

And loading screens aren’t an issue for me (except Sims 2 which seems to always take the same time no matter what).

I can load a save in TS3 in about 10 - 20 seconds and each loading screen in TS4 is about 5 seconds, thanks to my SSD and Core i7.

And honestly, 5 seconds doesn’t bother me at all.
  • WUBBAWUBBADUBDUB77WUBBAWUBBADUBDUB77 Posts: 52 Member
    I can totally see why this isint possible at the moment, however i would like to visit my neighbor without having to go through a loading screen. Thats just my opinion
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited January 2018
    No, see how it's hard for them to create new animations & to give us lounge chairs, swings etc I think we really didn't need multitasking. And we don't even win time, we waste time.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,487 Member
    The thing that bugs me most, which isn't addressed in this poll, is how long my Sims will just stand doing absolutely nothing. I'm not talking about another Sim is on the way to interact with them. They have things in their queue, yet they just stand there as if I have all day long to wait for them to move!

As for the loading screens, I really don't mind them, but I started with Sims2. Sims3, for all of the niceties of the open world had its own set of problems. I usually use Razor to shut off the background processes whenever I play that game. Plus, I have at least 20 NRaas mods to improve things.

So, I'm ambivalent.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    One of the major justifications for loading screens in the Sims 4 has nothing to do with multitasking, it has to do with the client base they are going after. The Sims 4 comes at the time after the open world concept was good for the Sims 3, but it had so munch problems with it as the target market of simulation games have never had much luck at generating enough high end game players to make it worth the higher details and attention with the MMORG and the first person single player or team shooting games they have not really had a chance. So to make up the difference they offer the most lacks system requirement they can go to make sure that most computers will be able to play the game. The major problem with TS3 is it really annoyed the lower end of the target market that don't have the best computers. Its not about whether they can do it as you can do anything with computer games now. So they had to make sure the Sims 4 would be able to be compatible with both PC and later on Mac a year later, and if they wanted more money they wanted to make sure they could eventually branch it off to console, mobile and that way you could play The Sims anywhere. So what I am saying its not about if they can or should do it, Its about making sure their target audience can play the game on any store bought computer which not many simmers know about how computers run and what computers would give you more bang for your money by making sure the game can run fresh off the shelf of a computer store they have a higher chance of making a lot more money and attracting new gamers.

Also, a side note. Most processors can run 2 or 3 games at once especially the dual and quad core processor the limitation is not the processors themselves but the ram and the input controls. In theory you could run The Sims 4, Car Mechanic 2018, Farming Simulator 17, but you only got one graphics card one keyboard and mouse and limited ram memory, which part has to be used by the OS.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    NOPE

By definition, it's not even really multitasking. Sims 3 (heck, even Sims 2 AND even Sims 1) showcased superior multitasking in some specialized cases. I mean if my Sims sit down to eat breakfast together, a Sim family in Sims 3 can successfully eat their breakfast and gain socialization without slowing themselves down at all. If a family does the same in Sims 4, it turns into a nightmare where you have to cycle around the table canceling everyone's social desire before they all end up late for work, and it's a never-ending battle cause the little jerks will constantly re-queue new social interactions even after they've been canceled.

Multi-tasking to me means multiple actions being done simultaneously for a boost to efficiency, such as doing the laundry while watching the news and chatting on the phone for an increase in social and fun while the laundry itself gets completed at about the same rate it usually would. In Sims 4, it means the game periodically cycles between action A and action B. When action A is being completed, action B is completely put on pause and vice versa. It's not multitasking, it's a dumb little automated toggle they honestly would've been capable of implementing in any of the past Sims game. The problem this has is that Sims in Sims 4 obsessively socialize at all times, even when they don't need it, so the multitasking system usually just means the player's desired action for the Sim will be slowed down by their obsession with social tasks. If not for the multitasking system, we wouldn't need to babysit our sims half as much as we do because they wouldn't constantly hunt chat partners.

"Multi"tasking and the emotion system are probably the two biggest bombs of Sims 4. Both of them were promised to be revolutionary and both are absolutely terrible. If there was an option to turn off multitasking in the game options, I think it would be very tempting to do so. It would more or less function as a mini-free will toggle that solely effects their obsession with

Sims in The Sims 2 actually take longer to eat and talk than they do in The Sims 4. Often if you serve breakfast in TS2, it’s almost lunch if you don’t cancel the talk interactions (which I believe was a patched feature due to complaints as it’s not present in The Sims Life Stories from memory, I served Lunch Meat Sandwhiches at 1pm and it was getting dark once all 4 of them had finished).

And in The Sims 3 the eating animation is really unnatural it’s like they’re forcing it down.

I don’t think they’ll ever get it right.

Also, that’s my only experience of that happening is with eating. Often I can have Sims listen to music while skill building, or Sims talk while doing basic stuff. I don’t have them randomly cycle between actions to that degree.

Since you mention it, I love the emotion system.
    I believe people don’t like it because of Sims being bipolar, but a quick test shows Sims can be just as bipolar in The Sims 3. Going from extremely unhappy to happy just from one bad Moodlet (like filthy surroundings). My Sim went from depressed to happy just because she was afraid of the dark.

It’s more an issue with the Moodlet system imo with Moodlets often being too strong (eg Nicely Decorated is way too powerful), but the Emotions expand on the mood system in TS3 in the best way. I just wish it wasn’t so huge in the UI.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    NOPE

By definition, it's not even really multitasking. Sims 3 (heck, even Sims 2 AND even Sims 1) showcased superior multitasking in some specialized cases. I mean if my Sims sit down to eat breakfast together, a Sim family in Sims 3 can successfully eat their breakfast and gain socialization without slowing themselves down at all. If a family does the same in Sims 4, it turns into a nightmare where you have to cycle around the table canceling everyone's social desire before they all end up late for work, and it's a never-ending battle cause the little jerks will constantly re-queue new social interactions even after they've been canceled.

Multi-tasking to me means multiple actions being done simultaneously for a boost to efficiency, such as doing the laundry while watching the news and chatting on the phone for an increase in social and fun while the laundry itself gets completed at about the same rate it usually would. In Sims 4, it means the game periodically cycles between action A and action B. When action A is being completed, action B is completely put on pause and vice versa. It's not multitasking, it's a dumb little automated toggle they honestly would've been capable of implementing in any of the past Sims game. The problem this has is that Sims in Sims 4 obsessively socialize at all times, even when they don't need it, so the multitasking system usually just means the player's desired action for the Sim will be slowed down by their obsession with social tasks. If not for the multitasking system, we wouldn't need to babysit our sims half as much as we do because they wouldn't constantly hunt chat partners.

"Multi"tasking and the emotion system are probably the two biggest bombs of Sims 4. Both of them were promised to be revolutionary and both are absolutely terrible. If there was an option to turn off multitasking in the game options, I think it would be very tempting to do so. It would more or less function as a mini-free will toggle that solely effects their obsession with socializing.

Thanks for saying everything I would have about multi tasking. Sums it up nicely for me.

My loading screens are not long, although I dislike them. But the multi tasking in my view is the games biggest downfall.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I only picked the third because there was no, "I don't mind the loading screens, but the multitasking, while sometimes useful, could still use some polish." I like being able to have my sims eat and watch T.V. to increase a skill at the same time. However, there are some serious tuning issues with multitasking (too much autonomous radio, taking their breakfast to the bathroom to eat and brush their teeth all at once when you tell them to eat and then brush their teeth, etc.) that really need to be fixed. As for the loading screens, I really don't care. I have loading screens in TS2 as well.

What I don't care for is the game's away system. You come back from being with one of the sims in the household off-lot and the game just randomly places the sims you left at home in spots they really shouldn't be. Mom is on Timmy's computer, Timmy is playing with Susy's dollhouse, Susy is eating the leftovers that you were saving for breakfast, and everyone is totally out of character. Makes you miss TS2's timewarps... -_-;
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    Indifferent towards loading screens, slightly negative towards multitasking. Usually during the first half hour of playing Sims 2 I tend to miss Sims 4 multitasking, but that feeling quickly passes and I "forget" it exists.

On the one hand the flow of the action feels more lifelike when sims for example chat while walking together, and we can finally click away the the table chatter to make them eat only (works like a charm in no free will games and as a result Sims 2 meals can indeed feel longer than Sims 4 meals. I haven't timed my sims, it's just a gut feeling.).

On the other hand multitasking has also introced a couple of annoyances, namely musical chairs, combining eating and toilet use and heat-seeking missile like running towards another living being with your platter in hand while all you should do is sit down at the dining table right next to the fridge, considering the edge of the pool valid seating.
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    The loading screens don't take that long and I enjoy my sims eating, watching tv and talking at the same time to give an example. Or doing homework and listening to music, stuff like that.
    HOWEVER, the multitasking isn't executed well... it takes them a lot longer to complete tasks. They could do without cooking and staring at objects at the same time (cooking takes forever, not to mention the ridiculous animations while cooking that make the process even longer). Also, their plate disappears because they stand up to pet the dog without me ordering them to do so. Taking drinks to the toilet etc. Lots of flaws. If the multitasking were done right, the loading screens wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    Don't about TS4, but in TS2 eating takes a sim an hour (or less) or two, but no longer than that (unless your sim is really sleepy and you're trying to keep your sim awake from not falling face flat onto food by constantly canceling popping said interaction in queue). In that regard, I disagree with your comment @jackjack_k. And how do/can you cancel talk interaction while sims are eating (in TS2)? There no queue icon for it in that multitasking manner. Here's a video in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmjvamzkqpI
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Many people are defending at how in TS2 it took them longer, but I reckon the automatic eating and chatting was so realistic and nice back then. Here, they sit, get up, sit, don't ever touch there food and just chat. not to mention the eating animation is absurdly ridiculous and childish.
    Kinda slightly disagree the part I bolded. They sometimes tend to take another plate of food from the same If hunger isn't fulfilled, despite eating the first dish.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited January 2018
    I like multi-tasking but I wouldn't say I "love" it. The main reason I prefer loading screens is so I can focus on one lot/household and choose to play rotationally. Otherwise without loading screens, other households are active at the same time and thus sims in other households are going about aging/skilling/interacting etc. while I'm focused on one household.

I don't always play rotationally, but I like to have the option.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Actually, the loading screens exist because the game was originally online, and each batch corresponded to an active section, this was explained by the twistmexi modder (I think that's the name). It decompiled the executable file from The Sims 4 and he discovered several references to The Sims Onlympus, and this made him better able to understand a bit about the game.
    tenor.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    I mainly don't like the amount of loading screens (and there are more downsides to them than the wait). And I'm happy, happier even, without multitasking Sims 4 style (a sim insisting on doing two commands in turn). Multitasking for me is doing two things at the same time. By doing so saving time, not wasting it. Plus I like the clarity of giving my sim a series of instructions, with the guarantee they'll actually do what I asked.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cosmiccccosmiccc Posts: 32 Member
    The loading screens kinda ruin the immersion for me personally
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Definitely for me. The loading times are short and I'd rather be there with my sim .. experiencing more from that perspective if you will. I don't seem to have as many problems with multitasking as others do who have responded so far possibly because I rarely play the game in time management mode. I didn't like the open world concept or at least the way it was in Sims 3 and frankly would not like open neighborhoods if it would start causing problems. If open neighborhood means the whole place loads at once.. everything in that area. I would hate it. I don't play to manage a whole hood at one time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I have been playing TS3 for a couple of days now and miss neither multitasking nor emotions very much. In many situations TS3 Sims act in a more consistant and logical way. On the other hand "no loading screens" is a fake in TS3 because many lots with complex textures need a minute to become fully visible.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I like them multitasking. I dislike loading screens. What option should I choose?
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    According to the Guru’s, Multitasking was too taxing on people’s processors to be active on more than one lot.
    Why would it need to be active on more than one lot though? Why is it not tied to the camera in the way that LOD is?

You don't brute-force render a game world, so why would you have to brute-force multi-tasking?

What is NOT multi-tasked can be simulated - who would really care as long as there was something reasonably balanced.

I don't like this limitation.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    To me it's not worth it. I feel like multitasking is slowing down the interactions of my Sims. In TS3 all interactions seemed so much faster. In TS4 bad computer performance seems to be acting up in the shape of the duration of an interaction, instead of lag and framedrops. And I feel it is because of multitasking. To me, it makes the game kind of unplayable and makes me ragequite every time.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    NOPE
    Your example - even if it were true - has no clear answer anyways. The sky is the limit with Sims 4 because of the way group convos are programmed. It is completely possible to have a "neverending" conversation because everyone keeps attempting to queue up a social, and they all have to wait on each other. This is exactly why the retail system from Get To Work is such a nightmare: a group of Sims all chatting together is a lost cause, because if you try to greet a sim in that group, your social request is put in line behind the 4 other Sims all wanting to tell the group a story, and then when you try to show that sim an item, four other stories got queue'ed up in front of you in the meantime.

If this is truly multitasking, why is it impossible for two seperate groups of Sims to simultaneously hold a convo between themselves while in a larger group chat? If Sim A tells Sim B a story while Sim C wants to tell Sim D a secret, and all of them are in one giant group convo, then Sim C must now wait on Sim A to finish even though Sim C doesn't require the attention of either Sim A or Sim B right now. This is not multitasking, and this is a huuuuuuuuuuge culprit for the slowness of gameplay when multitasking comes into play. Multitasking on it's own is just very weak because it only cycles between two actions and doesn't accelerate the completion rate of both at all. Multitasking plus the horrible socialization system is a nightmare that results in nothing getting done, made even worse by the fact that Sim A.I. in this game seeks out socialization even when the social meter is full, even when the only available chat partner is a sworn enemy, and sometimes even when socialization demands their current action be canceled.
    The group chat is deffo a major drag on the game. It may as well just have been simulated. Some of the blockers on this system is the player 'calling' a passing NPC into group chat which results in suspend groupd chat and wait for NPC to slowly walk to join in group conversation. It's annoying and calling several NPCs into group chat is annoying and also eats hours of a Sim's day - when having to suspend and wait for several Sims to be summoned. The system used is awkward and the way it queues actions to fire one at a time is annoying, when it should fire certain interactions straight away and take the strain off, rather than have them queued up. Group chat also blocks interactions from firing sometimes and you will eventually have to cancel your way out of them to allow your Sim to get on with other things they are trying to achieve.