Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm in shock at how bad Pets is

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I was hesitant at first but it grew on me. The vet career was predictable just like the active careers but fun when you first give it a go. Not something I would engage in often though. I don’t regret buying it. I feel like that’s what I judge everything on now.

Was it so bad I wish I got my money back, the answer is no. I also bought it for $20 less than retail lol.

What I will say is I added a dog to one of my households recently, did all the trainings and gave him the auto pet bowl. Now he’s more of a nuisance than anything else. He always wants to go for a walk! His little icon is orange and I’m still annoyed I have to click on him and actually ask him what’s wrong. When he runs away, I don’t even put up the flyer to find him. I’m debating daily if I want to delete him or sell him. It’s just not fun. He’s like a house guest no one interacts with unless he’s crying and carrying on.

LittleMsSam has a dog walker mod where you can pay someone to come walk your dog. I use it for rich or lazy sims that can't be bothered.
  • Fellow_SimmerFellow_Simmer Posts: 46 Member
    Pets is just dumb overall. You have kids, that's already a challenge and it's super hard to look after them. Why in the earth would you want pets in your house? Food, fun, energy, attention, or what ever it has, it's all hard IMO. Idk, what do you guys think?
    I <3 the community! It's great to see so many people out here
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think pets are hard per se. Dogs are easy in terms of naughty behaviour. They are just needy little avatars that get sick and go into heat. I have two female dogs in heat at the moment in real life it’s not enjoyable, what made them put that into the game? “Dogs aren’t vocal enough” “Don’t worry this will give them something to bark at”

And there we have it, the most annoying pets ever.

Cats and dogs are just there. Like an annoying house guest with four legs. Shame as I enjoy pets in previous games.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I never use the painter. It’s a clear novelty feature that some uncreative person pushed for when they couldn’t think of anything else. Seriously, the development team really vilified the color customization from Sims 3 in order to make Sims 4 look better for not having any at all, and then instantly ran back to a color customization feature exclusively for painting pets to make them look like a total upgrade compared to the main game. Their priorities were 110% in the wrong place there.

My biggest peeve with pets is that Dogs can’t get on Sim beds. That’s pretty much what told me everything I needed to know: this expansion pack was no where near finished, but they shipped it anyway. Maybe they spent too much time on the painter, or maybe they spent too much time creating borderline useless functions (cats jumping on everything, non-housebroken dogs whining at the door, etc), or maybe they forgot they were building a pack about pets in general. Did they think this was a veterinarian EP? As sad as it is to say it, the Vet is the most fleshed out part of the whole pack - and it’s a reskin of the retail system, that we got in the first expansion pack.

I also really did not like the unnecessary comments Grant made on their Twitch stream regarding pet owners. He is clearly part of the problem (guy seems to have an inflated ego, and gets irritated when things don’t go how he wants). I’d also stick some of the blame with their mindset that Sims 4 is a social justice game, and not a Sims game. It’s a safe space where they can eliminate social issues in the most campy, and unrealistic ways. Usually by eliminating any negative life experiences, leaving just the good. I remember when they tried making this game about drama, and now we’re here.

I wouldn’t recommend C&D, but it’s better than City Living (if you get it 50% off like I did). Not like vastly better, but CL is the worst EP that I have ever seen from Maxis. C&D could have been good if they would have finished developing it before they considered it done.

• DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    It is insane that the EP took 3 years, yet it feels like a fluff piece, and that even with modern technology being accessible, it feels like an empty caricature compared to the Sims 3 Pets. Will horses be back? Other small animals and pets? Will those be free? Or be included in a GP?

I enjoy playing the Sims 4, but compared to its predecessors, it has no soul, no heart. In my opinion, the EP for Sims 4 have been downright mediocre, the only decent one has been Get Together and that is about it.

I think we may get small animals but at a price. Horses I’m not sure about. There’s a demand but with the current set up of the world there would be no point (in my opinion) Especially if horses were not controllable and their AI not accessible. I wouldn’t buy anything to do with pets again in this set up. I agree that pets being made was more a “now we have this over with” scenario. I expect seasons if it comes will be the same way. I think for me it’s made worse because I regularly play the older games and I see the differences between the old and the new and it really highlights just how much is missing from cats and dogs.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    i never liked the pets expansion packs, i think its more fit for little kids. i also hate both brindleton bay and appaloosa plains worlds :joy:
  • EirayaEiraya Posts: 21 Member
    I agree that the pets themselves aren't very interesting, and the vet clinic got old pretty quick. I think it could be fun to build one up, hire new vets once I get the funds, and then let the clinic run itself all out of my sim's own pockets rather than using cheats.

Taking my pets to the vet has generally been a pretty bad experience. Even if my sim is the first to check in, the vets will meander around for ages, then take care of someone else's pet. I'll be waiting ages before my pet gets taken care of. :/

Also you're completely right about the lack of customisation options with pets. I was hoping there'd be more, but there's actually very little freedom with it. The colour wheel and paint tools would be great if they also applied it to creating Sims.

Other than that, I really like the new world of Brindleton Bay. My one gripe with it is that all the lots are in odd locations that aren't exactly realistic, especially for residential purposes. Like, where are the connecting roads? Even a dirt road would be fine. Just something to suggest that the lots are intended for human life. There's one where you have to walk under a tunnel to get to, which weirds me out.

The build/buy mode objects are really great. I don't have a problem with them at all.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    I found all these remarks useful in weighing whether or not to get pets.

I'd have to say Nahh But I'm also glad there are people who enjoy the pack.

I was already put-off when the pre-release patches bugged up people's games, even those who do not run CC and mods. Means a lot of programming and try as they might, developers cannot foresee or test-play for every glitch that comes along. Buying Trouble.

Not this gal:

Not now anyway.

But the deal breaker is the usual, "Big splash then 'Now What'?"

By the way @DragonCat159 recycled retail system skin but re-skin for let's say [....]. That's the short definition of "product development" these days...

That ---and recent ideas for movies and TV. "Give the hairy monster a makeover and send it out to scare the little town all over again."
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't even like any Pet EP. I have never liked Pets in the sims franchise. Since I didn't pay full price for it I am more willing to just have it as a place to visit Brindleton Bay otherwise my sims won't ever get a pet. I only really like the Vet Clinic Career because its interesting and more so then anything else we gotten because you can actually make money and not feel like its a money pit like restaurants.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Between the official livestreams and all the video reviews of the Cats & Dogs EP available, I'm not sure how anyone could expect anything different than what the EP is.....there are video walkthroughs of literally everything about the pack.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I don't see bright future in the Sims franchise either unless a sudden miracle happens of some sorts.

Hopefully the ''x'' company (who made cities skylines) will do the same for the sims franchise. Because I don't have any hope in EA to make a better Sims.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Honestly this is disappointing to read but at this point in the Sims 4 timeline, is it really all that surprising? They always seem to make expansions really lackluster.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • kellzakellza Posts: 197 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Here's objectiveness, there are no pets running in other neighborhoods, pets can go inside gyms and bars something I never seen in TS3

You're lucky to have never seen them anywhere! Pets definitely could go places they shouldn't in TS3. On the first day I played the EP a cat walked past the bouncer at a bar and scratched up a barstool :/
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    kellza wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Here's objectiveness, there are no pets running in other neighborhoods, pets can go inside gyms and bars something I never seen in TS3

You're lucky to have never seen them anywhere! Pets definitely could go places they shouldn't in TS3. On the first day I played the EP a cat walked past the bouncer at a bar and scratched up a barstool :/

Actually I would have gotten a kick out of that if said bouncer attempted to forcefully eject the trespassing feline and it in turn scratched his eyes out. That would definitely liven up any game. :D
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have to admit, I am not the biggest fan of the pets expansions. This one feels like the worse for me. I thought not being able to see the needs and such would not bother me but it really does. I want to see their needs and what skills they are trained in. I played the Delgatos and I hated the pets so much I deleted the heckings and the cat lady. I don't want to play with the pets anymore. When the Delgatos pets die, they will not get another pet.

As for BB, I am not too much of a fan of the layout. I do like the fish market stand and the food vendor there. I put Justin Delgato in the political career so he can "expand" the town and attract people to move there. Each town has a politician in my game which is why the Delgato did not get hit with the delete button.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    No you're not. I'm guessing it's exactly the way you thought it would be.
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    I don't see bright future in the Sims franchise either unless a sudden miracle happens of some sorts.

Hopefully the ''x'' company (who made cities skylines) will do the same for the sims franchise. Because I don't have any hope in EA to make a better Sims.

Yes yes yes. That 'x' company is Colossal Order. If there is something games need is competition, especially games that have a monopoly on a certain genre like the Sims. This competition leads to better improvements from all parties in trying to sway users to buy their games. It is a plus plus for all parties and that of the customers given that there would be more options and more choice.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I am not the biggest fan of the pets expansions. This one feels like the worse for me. I thought not being able to see the needs and such would not bother me but it really does. I want to see their needs and what skills they are trained in. I played the Delgatos and I hated the pets so much I deleted the heckings and the cat lady. I don't want to play with the pets anymore. When the Delgatos pets die, they will not get another pet.

As for BB, I am not too much of a fan of the layout. I do like the fish market stand and the food vendor there. I put Justin Delgato in the political career so he can "expand" the town and attract people to move there. Each town has a politician in my game which is why the Delgato did not get hit with the delete button.

That's the biggest mistake of this expansion pack. Nobody asked for pet info panel (that displays needs, age, skills, etc.) to be disabled. They could have simply left it to be enabled. Nobody would get mad, and it would be a win-win situation (Don't wanna see these walking creatures motives and thus experience the challenge of guessing? Than don't 🐸🐸🐸🐸 click on their icon/portrayed to open the pane that shows all that). Now that they did the opposite, half/most of the players are dissatisfied of the development they made, or shall I better say cut. And no, I won't be buying any "time restraint, budget problem" excuse, since a modder unlock that whole pet-control option like what, a few (1-3 days) days after the release of the expansion pack.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    keekee53 wrote: »

That's the biggest mistake of this expansion pack. Nobody asked for pet info panel (that displays needs, age, skills, etc.) to be disabled. They could have simply left it to be enabled. Nobody would get mad, and it would be a win-win situation (Don't wanna see these walking creatures motives and thus experience the challenge of guessing? Than don't plum click on their icon/portrayed to open the pane that shows all that). Now that they did the opposite, half/most of the players are dissatisfied of the development they made, or shall I better say cut. And no, I won't be buying any "time restraint, budget problem" excuse, since a modder unlock that whole pet-control option like what, a few (1-3 days) days after the release of the expansion pack.

I agree. That to me is something I can’t overcome with this pack. I think it would be more immersive if I could see their needs, relationships etc. I don’t want to control them but don’t hide basic information either.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018

Paradox Interactive CEO said they would not be making a Sims life type game - regardless of what Shams said.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited January 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Paradox said they would not be making a Sims type game - that it was much too big and complex for their small company.

Oh I didn't know it... So hopefully another company.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Fellow_SimmerFellow_Simmer Posts: 46 Member
    Just a normal game pack. But I don't think it's worth it, IMO.
    I <3 the community! It's great to see so many people out here
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018

Paradox said they would not be making a Sims type game - that it was much too big and complex for their small company.

He said that way back when Simmers approached them after Cities came out. The CEO is still saying the same thing. The game is just too big and complex for almost any company outside of Maxis and EA to tackle. He's made that pretty clear - many times now.

I have seen much bigger companies than P.I. say pretty much the same thing - so at this point it is still EA and Maxis or nobody.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

He said that way back when Simmers approached them after Cities came out. The CEO is still saying the same thing. The game is just too big and complex for almost any company outside of Maxis and EA to tackle. He's made that pretty clear - many times now.

I have seen much bigger companies than P.I. say pretty much the same thing - so at this point it is still EA and Maxis or nobody.

Good news...
    Lu4ERme.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top