Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graham's Interview

I just read Graham's interview on a Facebook link. If we had been given those art pictures of the possible pack ideas, people might have voted differently, or was that the point?

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Apparently he had been whipping up people on twitter to vote for laundry, so it was probably the point.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I don't see why don't just come out with the other packs if they have pictures for it. They seems to be go-happy with stuff packs so whats stopping them from making even more?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't see why don't just come out with the other packs if they have pictures for it. They seems to be go-happy with stuff packs so whats stopping them from making even more?

The problem with that idea is the fact they pushed the idea that you had to vote for what you wanted in the game otherwise you wouldn't get it. So if they make the stuff that lost then the people who won things they voted for will most likely put up a stink and claiming their winning vote didn't count if we were getting all the stuff anyway - if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't object but keep in mind I lost things I wanted from the get go. Like my first vote was for the dangerous pack - which lost. Then I went along with the eco-friendly idea and got all gungho over that - seeing I live an eco -friendly existance in real life -but then laundry wins - which is not an eco-friendly idea at all and none of the things one needs to exist in an eco -friendly life made the cut - thanks to laundry.

Now of course I would love the other ideas to come forward - of course - but the laundry winners would probably scuff about the idea if their hard work promoting laundry all over the internet went to pot if the losing content is also made - if you know what I mean. Probably in some cases make for a bunch of annoyed players who seem to be rather superior having won and all.

As much as I would have adored every thing offered - but laundry - I can also see the "war" if their votes were diminished in the end by the non-winning items getting made anyway. We will then have to hear the next two years of - "what was the point of the community vote if everything gets in the game?" I can see it coming if that happened.

I truly think Graham saying the losing ideas are not necessarily tossed out for the future - just to keep players who felt we lost hanging onto the idea they might eventually get that stuff - when we most likely won't so as I said above - it doesn't ruffle the feathers or make the whole idea sort of worthless. Graham does not want us losers to walk away angry - is what it boils down to me - but I do not feel we will get any of that to be honest - not in a stuff pack anyway.

It is really a two-edged sword if you ask me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Exactly. That's the big problem. Once I saw the art for the other ideas, I liked the Arcade pack clothes and objects and, even though I'm not a "Wedding Guy", I would have liked the Barn Wedding pack. But now. I don't see ever getting that other stuff because we didn't vote for it. What would the point of having us vote if they give us the other stuff anyway. Maybe if they had said "Which would you like first?"
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I felt there were ideas that could be combined. The losing ideas don't have to go to waste at all. I see the winner as getting what they want sooner.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Deep sigh... I would have LOVED to see that concept art when we were voting. I do love the Laundry Day aesthetic though even though I don't like the laundry. But man, what really gets me is the unused Eco Living clothing concept art. That denim dress is destroying me right now - instead we get more stupid crop tops. :lol:
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited December 2017
    I am late to this. Any links to the concept art photos?

Edit: Never mind. Found it. Would have been nice if they had showed us the concept art as well when voting for the pack. It could have made a difference in the outcome.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

The problem with that idea is the fact they pushed the idea that you had to vote for what you wanted in the game otherwise you wouldn't get it. So if they make the stuff that lost then the people who won things they voted for will most likely put up a stink and claiming their winning vote didn't count if we were getting all the stuff anyway - if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't object but keep in mind I lost things I wanted from the get go. Like my first vote was for the dangerous pack - which lost. Then I went along with the eco-friendly idea and got all gungho over that - seeing I live an eco -friendly existance in real life -but then laundry wins - which is not an eco-friendly idea at all and none of the things one needs to exist in an eco -friendly life made the cut - thanks to laundry.

Now of course I would love the other ideas to come forward - of course - but the laundry winners would probably scuff about the idea if their hard work promoting laundry all over the internet went to pot if the losing content is also made - if you know what I mean. Probably in some cases make for a bunch of annoyed players who seem to be rather superior having won and all.

As much as I would have adored every thing offered - but laundry - I can also see the "war" if their votes were diminished in the end by the non-winning items getting made anyway. We will then have to hear the next two years of - "what was the point of the community vote if everything gets in the game?" I can see it coming if that happened.

I truly think Graham saying the losing ideas are not necessarily tossed out for the future - just to keep players who felt we lost hanging onto the idea they might eventually get that stuff - when we most likely won't so as I said above - it doesn't ruffle the feathers or make the whole idea sort of worthless. Graham does not want us losers to walk away angry - is what it boils down to me - but I do not feel we will get any of that to be honest - not in a stuff pack anyway.

It is really a two-edged sword if you ask me.

Uhh, then make it so the winning theme just gets made first and is the one the community can actively shape ? I really don't see your problem here. Players obviously showed a lot of interest in the other packs so it'd be stupid for them not to pursue these ideas.
    If they're a professional team they can handle a few entitled brats that get mad at them for no solid reason.

Btw I do have to say that withholding the concept art for the other ideas seems like a really weird move on their part. Like, really freakin' weird. If they already have some directions for the packs in mind, why not show them ? It would've made the vote easier for players who like things visualized and would've helped giving each pack an identity from the start up.

Also, keep in mind that some of the art would've definitely made people vote differently. An example would be the arcade pack. A lot of society is currently high on 80's nostalgia ( there's some social commentary to be made here but I think it'd be too long for this ) and our media reflects that. A lot of people totally would've voted for it if they knew they could recreate their favorite Stranger Things character with it. I mean it's not like they don't try to go with the zeitgeist and current trends and a pack like that definitely would've found massive appeal.

It's not my problem - as frankly I don't care; but having been on every sims forum since the first one - you know darn well how some people may react - WAS MY POINT. Also was the point of Graham saying only the winning vote items would make it into the pack. He only seemed to sort of soften that staunch when some people made a fuss about losing things never coming do this game. Makes me wonder which is it. You know Say what you mean, mean what you say. Double speak does not go well when dealing with most people especially on Sims forums.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    edited December 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I just read Graham's interview on a Facebook link. If we had been given those art pictures of the possible pack ideas, people might have voted differently, or was that the point?

So the reason you never saw those concepts when voting for the theme is that we had you vote in the order in which development takes place. There is no concept art without a theme for work to be done around. The idea of this project was to teach you about how game development works, specifically in relation to The Sims, so you can see how things evolve throughout the process. The only thing we did slightly different than what our normal process is internally is that we created concepts for each theme as we launched this project only because the turnaround time was tight between when the theme vote took place and when the art style took place so we had to prepare in advance to ensure that we had all we needed to set up the next poll quickly after tallying up the votes from the previous poll.

Also, just in case other folks haven't seen the article you can find it here: Behind Closed Doors - The Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

So the reason you never saw those concepts when voting for the theme is that we had you vote in the order in which development takes place. There is no concept art without a theme for work to be done around. The idea of this project was to teach you about how game development works, specifically in relation to The Sims, so you can see how things evolve throughout the process. The only thing we did slightly different than what our normal process is internally is that we created concepts for each theme as we launched this project only because the turnaround time was tight between when the theme vote took place and when the art style took place so we had to prepare in advance to ensure that we had all we needed to set up the next poll quickly after tallying up the votes from the previous poll.

Also, just in case other folks haven't seen the article you can find it here: Behind Closed Doors - The Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack

Thanks for responding SGD. I knew (but forgot) the order of things. It's just seeing some of the great artwork for the other packs makes me wish we could have voted on an order for release of ALL of them instead of voting for just one. Happy Holidays to you and the teams.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member

I appreciate your response, my question is why show any of this now? During the project it was made clear that anything that did not win a vote will never be made.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

I appreciate your response, my question is why show any of this now? During the project it was made clear that anything that did not win a vote will never be made.

Where did you get that info? They said that they could always do the pack that didn't win the vote.
    scource: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915788/so-what-happens-to-those-themes-that-didnt-win
    All five options that you voted on were themes that the stuff pack team would be happy to create. Having some initial concept art in place for them has only inspired us further as to the possibilities they offer. With the result of the theme vote though, concept work on the four themes that didn't win has stopped. Thankfully none of the work that was already done will go to waste. We'll file these ideas and pieces of art away for the future. Some of them may get made into a Stuff Pack eventually, some could be incorporated into a Game or Expansion pack, and some may simply catch our eye as an object or piece of clothing we want to create someday. I can't specifically tell you what will become of them, because we ourselves don't know yet.

• meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    The laundry pack is kind of meh, so I'm not planning to buy it, but I'm still glad that those who want laundry can have it. I just hope there isn't a massive pre-patch that breaks a bunch of stuff for the rest of us. I'm not particularly keen on stuff packs this late in the development cycle. I'll probably hold off until they bundle them cheap at the end of TS4s run. In that light I don't particularly care what they release in terms of stuff packs. But it is a bit unethical to sell this as a "player choice" pack if they are going to release all of the content anyway. Using false pretenses as a marketing tool is never ok. EA has enough issues with public trust. No point in creating new ones necessarily.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    meubanks wrote: »
    The laundry pack is kind of meh, so I'm not planning to buy it, but I'm still glad that those who want laundry can have it. I just hope there isn't a massive pre-patch that breaks a bunch of stuff for the rest of us. I'm not particularly keen on stuff packs this late in the development cycle. I'll probably hold off until they bundle them cheap at the end of TS4s run. In that light I don't particularly care what they release in terms of stuff packs. But it is a bit unethical to sell this as a "player choice" pack if they are going to release all of the content anyway. Using false pretenses as a marketing tool is never ok. EA has enough issues with public trust. No point in creating new ones necessarily.

Luckily, Massive Pre-Patches only commonly occurs on Game Packs and Expansions, so there is a less chance many stuff that we had are going to be broken :)