Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh My God Simmers...

124...Next

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited October 2017
    The only solution I can think of is that Origin itself, instead of automatically downloading all Patches and new Packs, checking for Mods, (maybe tick if present)?, advising to move out and only going ahead when these are physically moved out of the folder. The present system not apparently working very well.

I don't use them myself ((yet) but it might sort out what are patch bugs and mod bugs straight away?
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Simpkin wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    My kinda thread.
    I loathe it when I have some problem and the first suggestion is to remove CC/mods. They're not the original stuff and the most irrelevant thing in my problems. It's like I say I have a problem with my game and people would suggest boiling potatoes instead of frying them. Completely irrelevant. Absolutely nothing to do with my game and I have no idea why it's even mentioned.

The reason it's the first suggestion is because a lot of people do use mods but they don't bother to check to see if their mods still work, or check for updates. So it makes sense to first ask if a player is using CC/Mods -- even the devs will ask that if you're working with one of them to solve a problem.

no it doesn't make sense. CC and mods have nothing to do with the original game. There is no reason why anyone should use that stuff. And to have it as the first defautl question when reporting a problem is so...beyond irrelevant.

Really not the case.

If it's not a issue affecting everybody, it's usually down to CC and Mods the majority of the time.

There's no point getting angry, and it's factually incorrect to say that CC and Mods are irrelevant in bug solving.

What is it with you and making bold, empty claims without evidence...? None of us have any idea what percent it is, but given that things such as the townie clothing bug, the detective career, the friend of the world reward trait, the serial romantic reward trait, vampire dating, the doctor career, awkward command cancellations or any issue raised by this thread were/are all problems caused by the coding of the game itself, it's pretty hard to claim that the game isn't just downright buggy.

Mods as a remedy to bugs isn't an ideal solution because it moves official bug fixes down the priority list. Bugs without the use of mods are absolutely a thing, and you can easily encounter one every time you play the game.

None of what you said applies to what he said. He said that if it's not an issue affecting everybody (e.g. not an obvious bug that's easily reproducible) then it's down to CC and mods the majority of the time. Which isn't a bold claim at all. If somebody has an issue that no one else seems to have, it's pretty much common sense to check if they're using something that most players aren't using.

Further, he said that, "They are almost always the reason for bugs, that only affect a small percentage of people."

i.e. if a bug is only affecting a tiny number of people, it's likely it's cc related. Again, not a bold claim. A claim, sure, but not worth two paragraphs of irrelevant hyperbole. Especially considering the post he was responding to was claiming that CC and mods are "beyond irrelevant" in troubleshooting.

He said nothing about using mods to fix bugs, so I don't know why you brought that up. That is, as the poster jackjack was responding to would say, "beyond irrelevant."
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    I won't be using mods in Sims 4 till the game is done.

me too :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Because other communities are not as blinded as this one. They feel it is S O W R O N G to dare and judge the game. So we when you call out the bugs or missing things, they quickly suggest mods to shut up people
    Uhh... if someone's problem can be solved with a mod, how is that a bad thing? Unless you feel that the game needs to be constantly criticized for some reason and mods are somehow undermining that effort??

Read the thread before commenting...WE SHOULDN'T RELY ON MODS TO FIX BUGS OR WANT PROPER AMOUNT OF CONTENT. Your unnecessary bait in the last sentence can be buried because I am not taking that. Read then comment. Bye baiter xoxoxoxo
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Because other communities are not as blinded as this one. They feel it is S O W R O N G to dare and judge the game. So we when you call out the bugs or missing things, they quickly suggest mods to shut up people
    Uhh... if someone's problem can be solved with a mod, how is that a bad thing? Unless you feel that the game needs to be constantly criticized for some reason and mods are somehow undermining that effort??

Read the thread before commenting...WE SHOULDN'T RELY ON MODS TO FIX BUGS OR WANT PROPER AMOUNT OF CONTENT. Your unnecessary bait in the last sentence can be buried because I am not taking that. Read then comment. Bye baiter xoxoxoxo
    It's not baiting; it's genuine confusion. How is it a bad thing for a mod to fix someone's problem? Nowhere in that did I say that we "should rely on mods." Basically, it's the difference between taking a tolerable solution in front of you or refusing it; and no one is under any obligation to use a community member's volunteer solution. Furthermore, using a mod to fix a problem doesn't mean you have to stop complaining about that problem. It just means less suck, while you're waiting for the suck to be addressed officially. I made a mod for the Dream Big issue at one point, where active sims were stopping everything to go do it; Maxis fixed it some time after and I stopped using the mod. I wasn't silenced by using the mod and the bug got fixed anyway.

Maxis is going to do what they want to do, regardless of what volunteer solutions or options the modding community comes up with. The one has virtually nothing to do with the other. Once a complaint has been made, it's not as if more complaining from the same person is going to magically push a problem up to the top of Maxis's priority list; so if I complain about a lack of pink elephants and someone presents a mod that adds pink elephants, my complaint still exists and Maxis can still see it. They are either going to take pink elephants into consideration if they see it or they will reject the idea. It's highly unlikely that the presence of a mod for pink elephants will ever factor in to their decision.

Thus, my question "unless you feel that the game needs to be criticized and mods are somehow undermining that effort." Because the game is criticized and the value of that criticism happens, regardless of whether a mod gets suggested. The only thing that a mod as a solution may impact with regards to complaints is the frequency and repetitiveness of complaints, especially from the same people.

As for so-called baiting, so far, in this thread, you've characterized people who suggest mods as ill-intentioned people who want to shut others up and characterized the entire community as blind. Maybe take that into consideration next time you accuse me of baiting.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited October 2017
    A lot of what mods have done, ea should have done it already so imo it should be ea's problem
    giphy_1.gif
  • GoldenJuniperGoldenJuniper Posts: 8 New Member
    I had a friend who tried to use mods and got hacked :/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I had a friend who tried to use mods and got hacked :/

If you go with reputable sources for your mods (I mostly go with either MTS for mods or mods from people I've worked with for a while and trust), and have a good virus checker to scan the downloads), mods/CC shouldn't pose an issue. I've never gotten hacked from a mod, personally.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi, I'm closing this thread folks as some comments have been flamebaiting and personal which are not warranted nor helpful for the discussion and against our forum rules. I also feel like users have discussed all the pros and cons of using mods as a solution to tackling some tech issues. Thank you for sharing your feedback on this.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top