Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The lack of direct control makes me very angry...

Seriously: what was the reason again to buy TS4 for console when you already have it for PC? Don't get me wrong, I am a TS collector and I've been enjoying their console games almost as equally as the PC iterations. However, what made them Special was that they were in fact different. All of them provided a different and unique Feeling/spin.

Now, with TS4 getting a port for consoles eventually they even didn't bring back a Feature many of us were hoping for. It's hard to justify a purchase. What do you guys think?
"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

Comments

• Options
    antonio26298antonio26298 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi! personally, i like to play old sims games with direct control, but in the case of the sims 4 i prefer the point and click system because i want the game be the same as PC, yes, if i want that way i could play on PC, but i cant, I bought the game on PC three years ago, and my PC can't handle it and I don't have money for a new PC, so... With the new architecture of the actual consoles, I can play the sims 4 like in PC, and i don't have to spend money on another PC, plus, think how will the game if you add direct control to it, you have to go with your Sim to everywhere, for example, your sim is eating and you want to see what is happening outside, with point and click you can move the camera freely and watch everything but with direct control you have to wait to your Sim to finish the action to move.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Hi! personally, i like to play old sims games with direct control, but in the case of the sims 4 i prefer the point and click system because i want the game be the same as PC, yes, if i want that way i could play on PC, but i cant, I bought the game on PC three years ago, and my PC can't handle it and I don't have money for a new PC, so...

Yeah, I guess in your case it makes sense, however, the best possible sims experience (--> DLC, modding, custom Content and Gallery Integration) will always be on PC. My advise: Try to save up ~550-600 $ and build a decent low-budget gaming PC. The PS4 was already underpowered when it released, so it is not very future proven when it Comes to future Content additions such as EPs and GPs.

I am sure, it will be a nice, Little game, though (with a handful DLC packs). If that's what you are looking for then sure, go ahead. But console will never Substitute PC.
    plus, think how will the game if you add direct control to it, you have to go with your Sim to everywhere, for example, your sim is eating and you want to see what is happening outside, with point and click you can move the camera freely and watch everything but with direct control you have to wait to your Sim to finish the action to move.

Why do you think you would have to wait? I mean, that's just an assumptions, isn't it? I am sure they could make us Change sims on the fly without any Problems. Direct Control has nothing to do with it.

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2017
    I thought Sims 3 on console was pretty similar to it's PC counterpart. Karma powers weren't something I would have used on the PC game either, so their inclusion was irrelevant to me. Overall gameplay was pretty much the same. Sims 3 on console didn't have direct control, and I don't recall it being such a problem.

With TS4 the Sims have different walking animations. Not only for standard walks, but different emotional states sometimes change the default walk as well. Different walks have different speeds, and there is no 'run here' command for any of them. Direct control would be more tedious than entertaining which is what they aimed to do with the walk styles, as you would only be able to travel as fast as your sims walk style permits. The peepee dance is super slow already, imagine having to walk your Sim across the house at snail speed.

Something that EA had made quite obvious is that the release of TS4 on consoles is not intended to compete with the PC version, and instead is there to offer an identical experience for players who either can't or would prefer to not play on PC. The whole game's purpose for console is that it's a direct port of the PC game, not a unique one. Nobody is forcing your hand to buy the same game for a second time, or third time if you planned on buying it on both XB1 and PS4; being a collector is a personal choice, and with that choice comes the reality that you may very well purchase things you don't necessarily need solely to complete your collection.
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    When I was younger I adored the console games (and still do, their story modes are amazing and I WISH they would make a return) but I always wished they would be like they were on PC, probably because I didn't have a PC of my own back then so I was limited as to when I could play on the family one. However now they're releasing the same game on console I'm actually a little disappointed, I will buy it because I own most of the Sims games but I probably won't bother with any of the add ons if it's going to be exactly the same game as I've bought on PC.

I'd love more spin offs like The Urbz and Castaway, they were so different yet so much fun :blush:
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    People that don't have a PC get to experience the game to. Though it won't match the PC version its better then nothing for those that can't play on a PC.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I thought Sims 3 on console was pretty similar to it's PC counterpart. Karma powers weren't something I would have used on the PC game either, so their inclusion was irrelevant to me. Overall gameplay was pretty much the same. Sims 3 on console didn't have direct control, and I don't recall it being such a problem.

With TS4 the Sims have different walking animations. Not only for standard walks, but different emotional states sometimes change the default walk as well. Different walks have different speeds, and there is no 'run here' command for any of them. Direct control would be more tedious than entertaining which is what they aimed to do with the walk styles, as you would only be able to travel as fast as your sims walk style permits. The peepee dance is super slow already, imagine having to walk your Sim across the house at snail speed.

Something that EA had made quite obvious is that the release of TS4 on consoles is not intended to compete with the PC version, and instead is there to offer an identical experience for players who either can't or would prefer to not play on PC. The whole game's purpose for console is that it's a direct port of the PC game, not a unique one. Nobody is forcing your hand to buy the same game for a second time, or third time if you planned on buying it on both XB1 and PS4; being a collector is a personal choice, and with that choice comes the reality that you may very well purchase things you don't necessarily need solely to complete your collection.
    Some parts was similar to the PC but I couldn't get into it without my trusty mouse. Using an controller was kind of awkward for me.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    montesemontese Posts: 2 New Member
    I agree with the OP, it's mind boggling to see EA make this decision (especially in 2017). Why center a console game upon a "point and click" movement style when you can NEITHER POINT NOR CLICK WITH A CONTROLLER? Direct Control is more entertaining and immersive for console players IMO. Also TS2's Direct Control had an option to point and click as well. This system is a lot more versatile than locking players into a cumbersome, time consuming, and non-immersive gameplay style.

Additionally, a 1-to-1 port like this removes ALL incentive for PC players to buy a console version. I already own this game so why would I buy another one? I would 100% buy a Direct Control version, PC or Console.
  • Options
    montesemontese Posts: 2 New Member
    Can someone list the Direct Control Sims games for me btw?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Some parts was similar to the PC but I couldn't get into it without my trusty mouse. Using an controller was kind of awkward for me.
    Me to and it took me a month to figure out how to leave the lot. :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    montese wrote: »

TS3 was one of them as well as TS2 Consoles.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Nope. Just Sims 2 for console.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

The Sims 3 did as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ3LG3eBc8

• Options
    Direct Control would probably require a whole new game made from scratch.

EA just want to port the PC game, which is why it would need to stay true to it.
  • Options
    antonio26298antonio26298 Posts: 32 Member
    Hey! You guys think that we will have the posibility of use a keyboard and mouse in the game? It's possible, for example, Unreal Tournament on PS4 is compatible with keyboard and mouse, do you guys think that maxis will allow that possibility to us?
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Microsoft are working on mouse and keyboard for the new xbox x according to some websites I've seen.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The Sims 3 did as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ3LG3eBc8

Well, I've seen Playstation 3 and XBox 360 versions not have it. Only Wii versions.
    So, the direct control was in all The Sims 2 console games and The Sims 3 for Wii.
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    I remember Sims 2 on console used to have both. They didn't put direct control on 4 for pure laziness.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I think i read a tweet by SImguruDuke that mentioned that they did consider direct control but decided against it for some reason.
  • Options
    I remember Sims 2 on console used to have both. They didn't put direct control on 4 for pure laziness.

The Sims 2 for console had both because it was a game made from scratch. The Sims 4 for console is a direct port.
  • Options
    I think i read a tweet by SImguruDuke that mentioned that they did consider direct control but decided against it for some reason.

It's pretty obvious. The would have had to rebuild the entire game, and then rebuild every DLC pack as well. It's not worth it, if it's being released for extra revenue. They would probably have to spend a lot more to have it happen.
  • Options
    BroimleandreBroimleandre Posts: 1 New Member
    WE WANT DIRECT CONTROL! WE WANT DIRECT CONTROL!