Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco living lacked a "theme"

2...Next

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2017
    Amby316 wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I personally buy the SPs mostly for the assets. The gameplay is a nice bonus but most often than not, it isn't what makes me buy it. There are even SPs where I didn't like the gameplay object at all, like Romantic Garden. So I voted for Eco living for the theme. I preferred the modern assets, but the more country one looked great too. I would have bought it regardless of the gameplay. But I'm happy it's laundry.

I really don't get why laundry would have fit better in Starter Home though. Washing machines typically are trying to be as eco friendly as possible with special programs, weighing clothes, and using as little water as possible, etc. While starter homes typically don't have washing machines and people go to the laundromat. So it doesn't make much sense to me.

Washing machines may be trying to be eco friendly but they ARE NOT. They waste water, electricity and lets not begin on detergents. If this were truly an eco living themed pack then the only laundry items we would receive would be the Wash Tub and clothesline

Do you wash your clothes in a wash tub without water or detergent ? :open_mouth:

I don't know about your washing machines but where I live, modern ones don't "waste" water, they use just as much as needed to wet the clothes. A washing machine like the one I have uses around 10 gallons of water to wash 10kg of clothes.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I personally buy the SPs mostly for the assets. The gameplay is a nice bonus but most often than not, it isn't what makes me buy it. There are even SPs where I didn't like the gameplay object at all, like Romantic Garden. So I voted for Eco living for the theme. I preferred the modern assets, but the more country one looked great too. I would have bought it regardless of the gameplay. But I'm happy it's laundry.

I really don't get why laundry would have fit better in Starter Home though. Washing machines typically are trying to be as eco friendly as possible with special programs, weighing clothes, and using as little water as possible, etc. While starter homes typically don't have washing machines and people go to the laundromat. So it doesn't make much sense to me.

Washing machines may be trying to be eco friendly but they ARE NOT. They waste water, electricity and lets not begin on detergents. If this were truly an eco living themed pack then the only laundry items we would receive would be the Wash Tub and clothesline

Do you wash your clothes in a wash tub without water or detergent ? :open_mouth:

I don't know about your washing machines but where I live, modern ones don't "waste" water, they use just as much as needed to wet the clothes. A washing machine like the one I have uses around 10 gallons of water to wash 10kg of clothes.

Still has nothing to do with eco living. This is as ridiculous as adding cars that pollute less
    21mbz47.jpg
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Still has nothing to do with eco living. This is as ridiculous as adding cars that pollute less

Do you think people would have found electric cars not fitting for an eco living pack ?
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    @Orchid13 I just realized I called you a "font" LOL it's a common name we refer to other members on another forum I'm on.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I feel like we've been having this discussion about laundry machines being eco or not since the very beginning, it's all around the threads. Please remember we're talking about machines and consider how ecologic is the process of making one - none. It wastes water; you interrupt a natural cycle full of minor and countless other ecological cycles to add whatever cleans your clothes and return it useless to the environment. Eletricity is so-called 'clean energy' in general but it actually depends a lot on how that eletricity is produced and the more we use it the more this footprint increases.

In this process we voted for the art style, basically between a modern and a rural one. By choosing the down to earth option we were inherently rejecting major new technologies, if not by logic by aesthetics. Cohesion went downhill when we decided to go back and forth on whether this is an eco living pack, the main feature says a thing and all the rest says other. This thread, where SimGuruKimmi asks us to share our vision for the pack is a magnificent example.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    @DominicLaurence
    It's not like making a solar panel or a wind turbine has no ecological impact either, do you think Off the grid didn't fit into the theme ? ;)

Are you saying it's cleaning the clothes itself that's a problem ? Because no matter how you do it, you're going to use something. But the theme is eco living, not primal. And a country aesthetic doesn't mean you no longer wash your clothes, especially when you look at SimGuruKimmi's thread, most are even ironed. :D
    lasummerb wrote: »
    @Orchid13 I just realized I called you a "font" LOL it's a common name we refer to other members on another forum I'm on.

Hahaha I understood though :)
    @DominicLaurence
    It's not like making a solar panel or a wind turbine has no ecological impact either, do you think Off the grid didn't fit into the theme ? ;)

Are you saying it's cleaning the clothes itself that's a problem ? Because no matter how you do it, you're going to use something. But the theme is eco living, not primal. And a country aesthetic doesn't mean you no longer wash your clothes, especially when you look at SimGuruKimmi's thread, most are even ironed. :D

You are wrong lol
    21mbz47.jpg
    edited July 2017
    @DominicLaurence

Of course it has impact, the goal here is reduce it to the minimal possible making it sustainable. The amount of energy provided by both in the long run has an extremely positive balance, same can't be said at all about most machines. After all these are the ways of making eletricity clean to begin with.

When cleaning them is proposed as something ecological no matter what, yes it is. Overall, my point is the contradiction within this pack theme. From all the eco-friendly possible habits laundry would be among the least of them, if there at all, but we are already past that discussion. Country is the mere word I used to describe the art style, not the way of living itself; anyway, it's not because one have to clean clothes that it'd make it eco-friendly, it doesn't make sense. Now, you may think a brand new machine fits the hand-made or repurposed objects, I definitely don't, that's the aesthetic side I was referring to. The solar panel and the wind turbine at least supply the logic request to make it just as eco. (Most of the clothes there are the type that doesn't require a lot of processing, I can see that as the main point, the exceptions there really shine.)
    Legacy Photomode
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Orchid13 wrote: »

Ok really the main problem here is that the gameplay object was already hinted. As for washers and dryers "trying" to be "eco friendly" I don't care. It's a sp and it's not getting a seal of approvement for being eco friendly or having special features. It's a game and we are getting the usual washer and dryer.

Laundry was hinted, but so were many other ideas. Each survey vote had a "potential ideas" list of gameplay.
    You've got a good point. Personally, my only issue with Laundry is it doesn't really fit with the whole "eco-living" vibe.

Nope. Doesn't fit in at all. To a point where its even ridiculous to even have a debate about it

Eco-Living is an override theme, but isn't the theme of the stuff pack.

For example, Funerals aren't "dangerous" but they are a result of dangerous deaths.

This is why we choose the Stuff Pack name and icon last. The theme's we voted for were an umbrella theme, not a final theme.

EG. ECO-LIVING > APPLIANCES THAT CAN BE ECO-FRIENDLY > LAUNDRY

etc.
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    You've got a good point. Personally, my only issue with Laundry is it doesn't really fit with the whole "eco-living" vibe.

Nope. Doesn't fit in at all. To a point where its even ridiculous to even have a debate about it

For example, Funerals aren't "dangerous" but they are a result of dangerous deaths.

This is why we choose the Stuff Pack name and icon last. The theme's we voted for were an umbrella theme, not a final theme.

etc.

No....

Cool kitchen SP- Ice cream maker
    Patio stuff - Hot Tub
    Luxuary party- Chocolate fountain and that table thingy to eat
    Spooky stuff- Pumpkin carving and other halloween party stuff
    Fitness SP- Wall climbing
    Backyard stuff- Bird feeder and the water slide
    Romatic garden stuff- Well
    Movie hang out- oversized tv and pop corn
    Bowling stuff: Bowling alley
    Vintage stuff: Digital camera and HD TV . Oh no wait... vanity table and that ugly globe thing for drinks

I'm probably missing something, but i think i made my point. So now this would be the logic:

Cool kitchen: Bunk beds
    Patio stuff: Food processor
    Luxuary party: tents
    Spooky stuff: Christmas tree
    Fitness stuff: Talking lounge chair
    Backyard stuff: garbage dispenser
    Romantic garden: laptop
    Movie hang out: kiddie pool
    Bowling stuff: pottery
    Eco living: Laundry

There we go!

21mbz47.jpg
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited July 2017

etc.

No....

Patio stuff - Hot Tub
    Vintage stuff: Digital camera and HD TV . Oh no wait... vanity table and that ugly globe thing for drinks

I'm probably missing something, but i think i made my point. So now this would be the logic:

There we go!

Well, as @jackjack_k stated, the term 'eco living' is an umbrella theme. I don't think Eco living will be the name of the stuff pack. The final name of it might be more akin to the laundry gameplay and art style that was chosen. So if the name of the stuff pack ends up being something along the lines of "laundry stuff", then you don't really have a point because the name aligns with what is contained in the pack and not the original umbrella theme that was used to brainstorm.

Without asking the developers, we don't know what the umbrella theme for previous stuff packs were, or whether the chosen gameplay objects ended up staying true to the original theme that was brainstormed.
    edited July 2017
    @DominicLaurence

Of course it has impact, the goal here is reduce it to the minimal possible making it sustainable. The amount of energy provided by both in the long run has an extremely positive balance, same can't be said at all about most machines. After all these are the ways of making eletricity clean to begin with.

When cleaning them is proposed as something ecological no matter what, yes it is. Overall, my point is the contradiction within this pack theme. From all the eco-friendly possible habits laundry would be among the least of them, if there at all, but we are already past that discussion. Country is the mere word I used to describe the art style, not the way of living itself; anyway, it's not because one have to clean clothes that it'd make it eco-friendly, it doesn't make sense. Now, you may think a brand new machine fits the hand-made or repurposed objects, I definitely don't, that's the aesthetic side I was referring to. The solar panel and the wind turbine at least supply the logic request to make it just as eco. (Most of the clothes there are the type that doesn't require a lot of processing, I can see that as the main point, the exceptions there really shine.)

You can make electricity in a cleaner way, or you can use less in the first place, which is a huge part of eco where I live, especially because it's one that you'll see in your day-to-day lives. Main area of focus for this typically are appliances and house insulation/heating. Now, house insulation would probably not translate easily into gameplay. We aren't choosing the wall material, doors&windows don't have different thermic rating either, and it's all fairly difficult to visualize. Plus it would look weird without seasons. So appliances are easier.

It's the same concept with electric cars, they polute less than cars. Had cars been something that fit into a SP budget, I bet people would have mostly been fine with electric cars and would have thought it was fitting the eco living theme. Despite transportation being an activity that polutes no matter what, and the cars itself being costly to produce.

If the pack had been bigger, I think it would have been interesting to include other appliances too, or perhaps a new upgrade for all existing appliances, and have it have an impact on the bills. So you could choose the level of eco-friendliness of your appliances (like the fridge, or the dish washer).

You may not have the same view as me on eco living though, I guess that's heavily dependent on the eco initiatives being promoted in your country, and how much impacted you are by them.
    Post edited by Neia on

etc.

No....

Patio stuff - Hot Tub

There we go!

But for example, in the early stages of forming the Stuff Pack, the theme is different.

SimGuruMeatball said that the umbrella theme for Vintage Glamour was Hollywood.

etc.

No....

Patio stuff - Hot Tub

There we go!

Well, as @jackjack_k stated, the term 'eco living' is an umbrella theme. I don't think Eco living will be the name of the stuff pack. The final name of it might be more akin to the laundry gameplay and art style that was chosen. So if the name of the stuff pack ends up being something along the lines of "laundry stuff", then you don't really have a point because the name aligns with what is contained in the pack and not the original umbrella theme that was used to brainstorm.

Without asking the developers, we don't know what the umbrella theme for previous stuff packs were, or whether the chosen gameplay objects ended up staying true to the original theme that was brainstormed.

Exactly! :)
    edited July 2017

etc.

No....

Patio stuff - Hot Tub

There we go!

I only know that when I saw eco living I thought we were talking about eco living and not the opposite. My bad

Not to mention that they told us the only gameplay object in the first vote for eco living, which was the original topic to start with.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited July 2017

etc.

No....

Patio stuff - Hot Tub

There we go!

I only know that when I saw eco living I thought we were talking about eco living and not the opposite. My bad

Not to mention that they told us the only gameplay object in the first vote for eco living, which was the original topic to start with.

I'm not defending laundry being included in eco living. I just clarified that the pack doesn't have a name yet, but when it does get a name, it will most likely align with the content of that pack. Laundry stuff pack name = laundry stuff pack content. Other stuff packs probably aren't named after their brainstorming themes. Vintage Glamour wasn't named "Hollywood stuff", despite supposedly having a Hollywood umbrella theme for brainstorming.

Laundry being included in eco living and whether that is solid theme is what your topic is about - not the naming of the packs and whether that name is consistent with what is contained in that pack, if I'm not mistaken.
    edited July 2017
    @DominicLaurence

You can make electricity in a cleaner way, or you can use less in the first place, which is a huge part of eco where I live, especially because it's one that you'll see in your day-to-day lives. Main area of focus for this typically are appliances and house insulation/heating. Now, house insulation would probably not translate easily into gameplay. We aren't choosing the wall material, doors&windows don't have different thermic rating either, and it's all fairly difficult to visualize. Plus it would look weird without seasons. So appliances are easier.

It's the same concept with electric cars, they polute less than cars. Had cars been something that fit into a SP budget, I bet people would have mostly been fine with electric cars and would have thought it was fitting the eco living theme. Despite transportation being an activity that polutes no matter what, and the cars itself being costly to produce.

If the pack had been bigger, I think it would have been interesting to include other appliances too, or perhaps a new upgrade for all existing appliances, and have it have an impact on the bills. So you could choose the level of eco-friendliness of your appliances (like the fridge, or the dish washer).

You may not have the same view as me on eco living though, I guess that's heavily dependent on the eco initiatives being promoted in your country, and how much impacted you are by them.

Being economic is not being eco friendly when all the process is pretty much wicked, it isn't a change of habits but rather a release of guilt people love to buy from eco-capitalists speeches. There's no such thing as level of eco-friendlyness when it's simple: whether the pratic is eco-friendly or not. It's H1 or H0, pretty pointy positivist. Does your product or action negatively interferes in some kind of ecological continuity in the whole run? Then it's not, at all, sustainable. And I mean it in a scale much larger than our houses.

"Hey, everyone, come here to buy our all new eletric car! It's made of iron inside and out, some plastic here and there, ultimate glass, its parts manufactured helping (cough) the poor third world countries. Drive it with almost no sound polution as the recycled wheels, made the same way as the others - thus just as good-, lead you to one of thousands of service stations built inside the city, next to you. Enjoy your asphalt while being green!" I know that realistically is what we can get, but it's far from ideal. Our end goal can't be the halfway.

So yeah, I guess I'm quite strict about what I'd call eco-living for I don't see no efficient easy road to it. Of course it's step after step and change ends up diluted in time, but again, calling economic habits eco-friendly may sound as a positive reinforcement in the short sight but it's a step backwards in the long run because you get people used to the thought that buying the new laundry machine with the green stamp it's all that's required to be a "friend of nature".

All the rest is secundary.
    Legacy Photomode
  • BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited July 2017

Do you think people would have found electric cars not fitting for an eco living pack ?

I think part of the problem was that we voted for the style before the gameplay. If laundry had won before we voted on the first two rooms, then Style A would have been a more likely fit.

For example, it could have gone:
    Eco-Friendle wins!
    And the Gameplay objects are a washer and dryer!
    Style A won the vote!
    (Then clothes and deco objects etc...)

Washing machines suit modern styles, and we may have chosen all of the clothing and objects to match that much better afterwards.
    But the fact that all the way through the voting process everyone kept choosing relaxed rural styles, diy-home decorations, and the like, made the final gameplay choice just so... disjointed.

Eco-friendly could have been fine with efficient machines etc, if that were the original choice with which we compared all other choices when offering suggestions later.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Sn0wf1ake9Sn0wf1ake9 Posts: 12 New Member
    " I have no issues with laundry as an object. My problem is that the theme is getting wasted, when it's the most original one up till now." Thank you, Orchid13. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)
    Sn0wf1ake9 wrote: »
    " I have no issues with laundry as an object. My problem is that the theme is getting wasted, when it's the most original one up till now." Thank you, Orchid13. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

And thank you for quoting me since people since people seem to forget that's my main issue! :)
    21mbz47.jpg