Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we get to change the theme of the SP?

2...Next

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I wish they had done the voting differently (e.g. voting on the content first) because then we wouldn't have ruined all these really cool clothes/objects with really awful gameplay. If we'd known it was laundry ahead of time, we could have chosen ridiculously lame clothes and furniture too.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited June 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    I'm really excited to see what kinda name suggestions the gurus are gonna come up with. LOL. :trollface:

"We Derped Up" stuff.

Edited: For wording

'Regrets' Stuff
    'Totally not Eco Living' Stuff
    'We Don't Know How To Make These Eco Living but We Just Put Some Furniture Made of Rattan But Will Put Modern Washers and Dryers Cuz That Makes Total Sense' Stuff.
    :D

Eco living, what? SP lol
    21mbz47.jpg
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    Oh ok awesome, thanks :) . But I mean like the theme. I just don't wanna miss the chance to get the other things that to me seem more eco friendly than laundry. Idc if it's in a farm pack or idk I can't think of anything else. So we can leave laundry as another sort of theme

The theme? No, laundry won...

But it makes no sense.
    I feel like it'll be changed. I think they know it'll be a marketing nightmare if they name it eco now.

Yeah. I mean if I didn't know we were making this SP, I would be very surprised to see a SP named Eco Living stuff and getting laundry. And not every single simmer participates on forums.

That's exactly it. And if WE got upset about it I dunno how the general public would think of that lmao The general public are very persnickety about social issues lately

It worries me that people that should know about global warming think laundry is eco friendly lol.

Why do people forget that the feature vote not only included washing machines, but also a washing tub so you can wash by hand.. also a clothesline, so.. if people want to go down the ''eco friendly'' route in their game, they can perfectly fine do that.

Then add that. The whole CAS items and packs don't make sense with modern energy consuming washers and dryers.

They can add both; normal machines, and the wash tub and clothesline. Gives people the choice.

People shouldn't be so picky about the whole word ''eco''. The title of the SP isn't even voted for yet, so who knows what its going to be called.

The theme is eco...

Yes, and the winner of the vote is Laundry. So well, we have to deal with that.

Do I think Laundry wasn't a better choice for a Bathroom SP or whatever? Yes, I do.
    However; this is what we got, and the rest of the ideas aren't 100% sure going to waste.

There were a lot of very interesting ''eco'' options on the brainstorm list that did not even make it into the voting, so I hope they will at least use some of the ideas for later packs.

But the main themes of the whole pack is country and eco. Washing machines/dryers aren't Eco, which won the first vote and modern laundry should've been out when country won over modern. Regardless of how they do it, no machines are going to be Eco and country at the same time in keeping with the Two votes that won first. Not to mention, no one disagrees that machines aren't Eco except for modern, which don't fit the country theme that won second. In order to keep with the two votes that won in the first place, the line & the pail would have to be joined with the wringer washer and a rack to hang items; making a way for more machines to be added later.What I learned from this survey is that the First & Second vote for Country and Eco combined is dismissed on the main feature and if people complain enough that they will get what they want wheather it fits the description of the first two votes or not; reminds me of politics in real life. Normally, I all for that, but to put a choice in that had a following to begin with and a petition where the other choices didn't isn't fair. I don't dislike laundry, but right is right; they don't fit the first two themes that were voted on. People are saying to disregard Eco, but it and country are the themes that won and everything after it should've been about those two things only if one was doing things in a professional way.

What should've happened from the very beginning is if they wanted people to pay for laundry then they should've put it out there as a choice to be voted on without the Eco on it or they should've never offered the country option.

Laundry may have won, but Eco and Country lost in the third vote; our votes for them were disregarded. :/
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited July 2017
    'Totally not Eco Living' Stuff:D

Best choice. And anything they do put in that reflects Eco won't be country :)

I do agree that the eco theme doesn't really one on one fit with washing machines, but I hope people do realize that it doesn't mean there will never be a possibility for some eco friendly features in future packs.

I've seen several Laundry voters say that and that is what people are trying to say that it is pretty bad when the winners admit that what is going in isn't described by the main two themes that have already won.

People know that there could be a chance to get some of the other features in the future, but that isn't the point. Voting must remain fair. No modern machines are country and the ones they will try won't be Eco.

To be honest, I'm just going to stay out of this portion of the forums from now on because the first two main votes won't describe what we are getting and when compaired to dangersous stuff, canning, & Eco living, laundry sounds plain and off subject. It just sucks the fun out of voting when the winning themes can be disregarded, so I doubt that I will do any more voting on names or logos. The one above says it all. With the other subjects, we could've speculated what would match the themes country and eco, but not anymore as everything goes. Like many simmers have said, it should've been offered with a family pack as a side item; it should've come with the Family Gamepack we just got weeks ago as a chore for those teens ect. I do like the idea of laundry and it would've been great in a pack of some sort, but not as the main feature. I do hope they do this voting thing again in the future, but put more thought into it. All themes should be equal and not have one with a petition already.

Anyways, hope those who wanted laundry have fun picking out the name and icon. Happy simming. :)
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    agreed. And laundry doesn't bother me, but it bothers me that they are ruining a great theme.
    That's what bothers me too.

Add me to that list too, please.
    I'm really excited to see what kinda name suggestions the gurus are gonna come up with. LOL. :trollface:

I am too! I especially giggled at the "Totally not Eco Living" Stuff title. :D
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    Oh ok awesome, thanks :) . But I mean like the theme. I just don't wanna miss the chance to get the other things that to me seem more eco friendly than laundry. Idc if it's in a farm pack or idk I can't think of anything else. So we can leave laundry as another sort of theme

But it makes no sense.
    I feel like it'll be changed. I think they know it'll be a marketing nightmare if they name it eco now.

Yeah. I mean if I didn't know we were making this SP, I would be very surprised to see a SP named Eco Living stuff and getting laundry. And not every single simmer participates on forums.

That's exactly it. And if WE got upset about it I dunno how the general public would think of that lmao The general public are very persnickety about social issues lately

It worries me that people that should know about global warming think laundry is eco friendly lol.

Why do people forget that the feature vote not only included washing machines, but also a washing tub so you can wash by hand.. also a clothesline, so.. if people want to go down the ''eco friendly'' route in their game, they can perfectly fine do that.

Then add that. The whole CAS items and packs don't make sense with modern energy consuming washers and dryers.

They can add both; normal machines, and the wash tub and clothesline. Gives people the choice.

People shouldn't be so picky about the whole word ''eco''. The title of the SP isn't even voted for yet, so who knows what its going to be called.

We are not talking about the Title - BUT the THEME we all voted for- which was Eco - Friendly. It was pretty darn clear by Graham that only eco friendly things would be considered for this pack. He said in his statement on the winning theme that all things for this pack were locked into the ECO friendly theme. Period. To be eco friendly under his rules the only type of acceptable wash items would have to be the hand wash/ line drying items - otherwise he violated the very rule he stated to us that this pack was themed to be.

The only proper name for this pack now is :smile:
    The Hodge Podge Pack.

For those not familiar with Hodge Podge - that means " a confusing mixture that makes utterly no sense and has no style"
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited July 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

But it makes no sense.

We are not talking about the Title - BUT the THEME we all voted for- which was Eco - Friendly. It was pretty darn clear by Graham that only eco friendly things would be considered for this pack. He said in his statement on the winning theme that all things for this pack were locked into the ECO friendly theme. Period. To be eco friendly under his rules the only type of acceptable wash items would have to be the hand wash/ line drying items - otherwise he violated the very rule he stated to us that this pack was themed to be.

The Hodge Podge Pack.

For those not familiar with Hodge Podge - that means " a confusing mixture that makes utterly no sense and has no style"

Oh so like Get Together was when it came to EP's? ;-)

Eco was just a umbrella term imo.

If laundry was in the Sugar and Spice SP theme, it would also have won. The reason people voted Laundry was because people wanted it, and well, it was part of the ''ECO'' umbrella term.

I voted laundry, yes, I did, and no I don't feel bad about it. However; I feel people are whining a little bit too much. When voting about Laundry they even mentioned eco friendly things such as Washtubs and Clothes Lines, so if people really want to be so ''eco friendly'', be my guest, and use them instead of a machine.

If the ''Sugar and Spice'' SP theme won, and after that Laundry won, people would be complaining about ''no sugar and spice in the SP!'' - ''Sugar and Spice was the theme!'' etc.

I see it like this:

People are upset because Laundry won, and they wanted the other stuff. They just don't want a Laundry SP. Even if EA adds eco friendly laundry alternatives in the SP, people will not stop complaining about it anyway.

Seriously. I also voted for objects and clothing that didn't make it. There were so many great ideas on that brainstorm list that didn't make it. Well, it's the way it is.

People are free to out their opinions, but it's not going to change anything about this pack in the end.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    edited July 2017

But it makes no sense.

The Hodge Podge Pack.

Oh so like Get Together was when it came to EP's? ;-)

Eco was just a umbrella term imo.

If laundry was in the Sugar and Spice SP theme, it would also have won. The reason people voted Laundry was because people wanted it, and well, it was part of the ''ECO'' umbrella term.

I voted laundry, yes, I did, and no I don't feel bad about it. However; I feel people are whining a little bit too much. When voting about Laundry they even mentioned eco friendly things such as Washtubs and Clothes Lines, so if people really want to be so ''eco friendly'', be my guest, and use them instead of a machine.

If the ''Sugar and Spice'' SP theme won, and after that Laundry won, people would be complaining about ''no sugar and spice in the SP!'' - ''Sugar and Spice was the theme!'' etc.

I see it like this:

People are upset because Laundry won, and they wanted the other stuff. They just don't want a Laundry SP. Even if EA adds eco friendly laundry alternatives in the SP, people will not stop complaining about it anyway.

Seriously. I also voted for objects and clothing that didn't make it. There were so many great ideas on that brainstorm list that didn't make it. Well, it's the way it is.

People are free to out their opinions, but it's not going to change anything about this pack in the end.

I think it will only be fair if they only added eco friendly laundry methods and no modern methods cuz it just doesn't make sense to me. I can't speak for everyone but I don't mind a 'just' laundry SP but the fact that they might put electronic appliances in a theme where it's just 'rustic' just wouldn't look nice and cohesive. Don't you think? So, I think it will be better if we just scratch the whole eco/country/rustic theme and just go for a more normal homely theme.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes people will always be a little bitter, but I think the argument is they should have done a domestic theme to vote on instead and given laundry its own category because it doesn't fit eco friendly or dangerous stuff or whatever. People who felt like they had won had that ripped away from them because they wanted eco stuff not laundry which isn't eco. If there had been a domestic/chore theme to vote on there would have been some people still angry no doubt but by now there would have been way way less anger because it would have been easier for the people who are sitting here now feeling like they had what they wanted dangled in their faces then ripped away.

Also I've posted this else where before but just because you use a wash bin doesn't mean laundry is eco. Only thing you are saving there is power which is actually one of the smaller parts of the harm laundry does to the environment (especially with more and more alternative energy sources like solar wind and hydro). Way more harm comes from all the chemicals and the vary materiel clothing is made out of.

For people who genuinely wanted eco stuff laundry is a slap in the face and trying to say be happy your getting wash bins and clotheslines actually doesn't make them feel better, just saying.

Otherwise yeah this isn't going to change the pack people will be angry no matter what, and people will inevitably vent here(forums in general) no matter what. Although I do think that unofficially at least this is no longer eco this is a domestic life Sp.

Here's some suggestions for names for our new domestic SP, some of the more serious then others :p

Domestic Life Stuff
    Washing Stuff
    Clothing Care stuff
    Stink fighting Stuff
    Things to Hire a maid for stuff
    Stuff you avoid doing in real life stuff
    Real cleaning for your butler stuff
    Grime removal stuff
    Neat-freak stuff
    Make your sims dirtier stuff
    Why you have kids stuff
    Suds and Lint stuff
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2017
    Lol if they add only washtubs and clotheslines then probably most people who voted for laundry will be very disappointed and those who wanted one of the three other options will still be annoyed and no one will be happy with the pack.

Personally I think it would be fun if they added washtubs and clotheslines along with actual washing machines so we could get a little bit of variety with the feature for different styles of gameplay and families. However if they ONLY add washtubs and clotheslines it would be unnecessarily limiting as most people probably aren't playing old timey type families on a regular basis.

Just because the general umbrella term was eco living doesn't mean they need to cut out what most people who voted for laundry had in mind just to be "fair" to the theme. Cutting out washing machines for those who want them isn't going to bring back water pumps or canning. And realistically no matter what the result had been the majority of the voters wouldn't have gotten what they wanted as it would have been highly unlikely for any one of four options to get the overall majority of the votes.

So maybe they planned it this way and maybe they didn't. And maybe they could have put laundry under starter home instead of eco, but at this point there is no going back. And let's be honest, this certainly isn't the only stuff pack that doesn't seem completely cohesive. I think their way of choosing build/buy and cas items and designs before choosing features seems a bit backwards and leads to a more disjointed feel. AND this the first time anyone is aware of what the general umbrella theme was supposed to be. I doubt this is the first time they wound up creating a pack that was a slight stretch from their initial buzzword.

Anyway, for everyone who feels laundry doesn't fit the theme, then the theme has changed. The title of the pack will reflect what's in it, and it really won't matter one iota what umbrella term they initially used. There will be tons more stuff packs coming along so hopefully some of the other things people want will show up. Just because "eco living" went to laundry this time doesn't mean there won't be a rustic themed stuff pack in the future or a going green pack. If they think there is enough demand they'll make it.
  • lilacksblilacksb Posts: 440 Member
    You can see why some of the other SP's that have been released are so disjointed if this is their process.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Does anyone think that you can actually have washers and dryers that run on electricity and still be eco-friendly? I ask this because of some of the general remarks about laundry tied with the eco-friendly theme.

Eco-friendly in its true sense does not mean we all live "off-the-grid;" you can still have electric and running water. Eco-friendly is a way to adapt our lifestyle to our environment. I mean, not to be snarky (because I genuinely am curious as to what you all think), but except for the Alaskan Bush People, I don't know of anyone who cleans their clothes without electric or running water yet they try to live in an eco-friendly manner.

I do get that the possibly "new" features of the proposed "off-the-grid" stuff pack left many with the thought of a "laundry stuff pack" as less than ideal, but to continue to see so many "laundry is not at all eco-friendly" baffles me. Maybe the way a lot of the world does laundry could certainly be considered that way, but that doesn't mean laundry doesn't belong in the pack. If anything, it really should be in such a themed stuff pack to raise awareness. You could even use solar panels to run the dryer (and other appliances).

edited July 2017
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Lol if they add only washtubs and clotheslines then probably most people who voted for laundry will be very disappointed and those who wanted one of the three other options will still be annoyed and no one will be happy with the pack.

Personally I think it would be fun if they added washtubs and clotheslines along with actual washing machines so we could get a little bit of variety with the feature for different styles of gameplay and families. However if they ONLY add washtubs and clotheslines it would be unnecessarily limiting as most people probably aren't playing old timey type families on a regular basis.

Just because the general umbrella term was eco living doesn't mean they need to cut out what most people who voted for laundry had in mind just to be "fair" to the theme. Cutting out washing machines for those who want them isn't going to bring back water pumps or canning. And realistically no matter what the result had been the majority of the voters wouldn't have gotten what they wanted as it would have been highly unlikely for any one of four options to get the overall majority of the votes.

So maybe they planned it this way and maybe they didn't. And maybe they could have put laundry under starter home instead of eco, but at this point there is no going back. And let's be honest, this certainly isn't the only stuff pack that doesn't seem completely cohesive. I think their way of choosing build/buy and cas items and designs before choosing features seems a bit backwards and leads to a more disjointed feel. AND this the first time anyone is aware of what the general umbrella theme was supposed to be. I doubt this is the first time they wound up creating a pack that was a slight stretch from their initial buzzword.

Anyway, for everyone who feels laundry doesn't fit the theme, then the theme has changed. The title of the pack will reflect what's in it, and it really won't matter one iota what umbrella term they initially used. There will be tons more stuff packs coming along so hopefully some of the other things people want will show up. Just because "eco living" went to laundry this time doesn't mean there won't be a rustic themed stuff pack in the future or a going green pack. If they think there is enough demand they'll make it.

True
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    Does anyone think that you can actually have washers and dryers that run on electricity and still be eco-friendly? I ask this because of some of the general remarks about laundry tied with the eco-friendly theme.

Eco-friendly in its true sense does not mean we all live "off-the-grid;" you can still have electric and running water. Eco-friendly is a way to adapt our lifestyle to our environment. I mean, not to be snarky (because I genuinely am curious as to what you all think), but except for the Alaskan Bush People, I don't know of anyone who cleans their clothes without electric or running water yet they try to live in an eco-friendly manner.

I do get that the possibly "new" features of the proposed "off-the-grid" stuff pack left many with the thought of a "laundry stuff pack" as less than ideal, but to continue to see so many "laundry is not at all eco-friendly" baffles me. Maybe the way a lot of the world does laundry could certainly be considered that way, but that doesn't mean laundry doesn't belong in the pack. If anything, it really should be in such a themed stuff pack to raise awareness. You could even use solar panels to run the dryer (and other appliances).
    It isn't about off the grid or not, or what we do irl laundry just isn't that eco in general. Nothing against it but it isnt really a great fit for an eco theme. I could list all the ways it isnt but meh. On the same coin you ask why we say it isnt eco at all I also am puzzled at how people still will insist it is. so I think it is safe to say it isnt going to be agreed upon. (hence why I dont want to start listing)

If you really want to start looking research the chemicals they use in dyes and anti stain agents. Then also how laundry is puting a bunch of plastic in our water ways. Thats some where to start outside of the power useage.
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited July 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »

It isn't about off the grid or not, or what we do irl laundry just isn't that eco in general. Nothing against it but it isnt really a great fit for an eco theme. I could list all the ways it isnt but meh. On the same coin you ask why we say it isnt eco at all I also am puzzled at how people still will insist it is. so I think it is safe to say it isnt going to be agreed upon. (hence why I dont want to start listing)

If you really want to start looking research the chemicals they use in dyes and anti stain agents. Then also how laundry is puting a bunch of plastic in our water ways. Thats some where to start outside of the power useage.

Eco-friendly is not exclusive to solar panels and wind turbines. There are other ways to be eco-friendly, like not using a washer and a dryer (even though we will have the option to use it, which is good, options are great!) and using a wash tub and clothesline instead. That is eco-friendly. Riding your bike to work instead of using your car is being eco-friendly. When you choose to do mundane tasks in a way that is friendly to the environment you are being eco-friendly. At least that's how I always interpreted it.

I think a lot of people are upset that their favorite feature didn't win and are now trying to make it sound like laundry is not a valid option for the theme. I mean, I get it. Off The Grid was most definitely the most "eco-friendly" theme of all 4, I'm not going to even argue about that, but that doesn't mean other things can't also fit the theme. Food preserves and nectar making are hardly themes that instantly makes me think "eco-friendly" but they were also an option. It was more on the sense of "living off the land = eco-friendly" in the same sense that laundry is more like "choose more traditional means to do something = eco-friendly".

edited July 2017

Uh THAT WAS my point WITHOUT Solar panels There is nothing about laundry MACHINES that are eco friendly not even 5 star Energy Star Machines are recognized by the eco-friendly society as ECO Friendly because manufacturers loosely use that term to sell their product and convince people less is more. True eco friendly goals is to have zero fossile fuel energy use and water use.

Even you came up with solar panels- yet they lost the vote. Yet to make a machine eco-friendly it is absolutely necessary to have electric appliances run on solar and wind power - so even you see that seeing you said it- and my question was why are solar panels even in the vote. They should have been are given when the THEME was ECO friendly. That is my argument on the entire pack-

Also for the one that associates ECO friendly with "old timey families or even 60's hippies- that is just sad - as being eco-friendly is 100 per cent NOW and the most modern way of thinking and living ever. It is not about going back in history but all about our future and what we need to do as humans to make sure there is a future for this world. But then if you were actually aware of eco-friendly ways - you would know this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Eco+friendly+is+the+future+-+not+the+past&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin3ZrjqevUAhWJOT4KHT_-CCwQsAQILQ&biw=1920&bih=981

https://www.google.com/search?q=Eco+friendly+is+the+future+-+not+the+past&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

BUT one fact remains when there is no way to power machinery because the power source was put up against the machinery in a vote period is rather crazy. Had the solar and wind power been a given like it should have been- along with wells- none of this laundry would have been any issues.

So where do we get solar power equipment as even you suggest to run these machines and actually be ECO Friendly?
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    "Also for the one that associates ECO friendly with "old timey families or even 60's hippies- that is just sad - as being eco-friendly is 100 per cent NOW and the most modern way of thinking and living ever. It is not about going back in history but all about our future and what we need to do as humans to make sure there is a future for this world. But then if you were actually aware of eco-friendly ways - you would know this."

THANK YOU.
    Ugh, I hate that eco friendly somehow came up with that ugly stuff.
    I challenge anyone to go shopping for furniture at stores geared toward the eco-mindset. Yeah they might have one or two sets like that to appeal to people who really like the antique look, but most of it is going to be SUPER chic looking. And super modern looking. Like something out of a resort in Bali.
    I've seen reclaimed wood furnishings that would look good ANYWHERE. Even when it is purposely built to look antique with distressed metal and whatnot. I could put it in my mansions and my penthouses or my small beach cabins or wherever.
    I was hoping for stuff like that. Bamboo is even better for eco-friendly furniture since it grows like crazy. Even here in BC, Canada my neighborhood is loaded with bamboo stocks. Some of them growing as high as houses. If panda bears ever made their way here, they'd be happy little pandas.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    @BeJaWa

@Writin_Reg

Thanks for your replies.

@Writin_Reg You're right; solar panels should have been a given in an eco-friendly pack (not subject to vote). I mention solar panels as, like you, I can't imagine offering a laundry-based eco-friendly stuff pack without them. I think hope solar panels will still be included in the stuff pack. And if they don't include them, then I'm at a loss. Well, not completely, as we still have that clothesline.

Because I couldn't remember everything, I did a search on the very first vote we did for this stuff pack. The original overall-themes for the stuff pack were: Eco Living Stuff, Starter Home Stuff, Arcade Stuff, Dangerous Stuff, and Wedding Stuff.

Eco Living Stuff had this description:

"Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy."

I wish we had more in-depth discussions back then about laundry and how it fits with eco-living; maybe it would have mattered.

As it is, I'm curious to see what this "Eco Living" stuff pack will deliver in its final form (the devs did say on the official blog that the theme chosen (Eco Living) will influence every part of the pack's development). A lot of simmers are certainly providing plenty of ideas for that.

For me, the absolute best outcome of this entire process would be an Off-the-Grid game pack that includes Food Preserves/Carbon Conscious features (yes, I did sign the petition).

• bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited July 2017
    Also for the one that associates ECO friendly with "old timey families or even 60's hippies- that is just sad - as being eco-friendly is 100 per cent NOW and the most modern way of thinking and living ever. It is not about going back in history but all about our future and what we need to do as humans to make sure there is a future for this world. But then if you were actually aware of eco-friendly ways - you would know this.

Not sure if this was directed at me for saying that using a washtub and clothesline is a more traditional means to be eco-friendly. If you're doing something that is actively protecting the environment or at least preventing from hurting it, what does it matter if the means are traditional or modern? If everyone on the world would stop using washers and dryers and would use washtubs and clotheslines instead, do you really think that would have zero impact on the environment? Everyone can help the planet in their own way. I'm not saying that Off The Grid wasn't the feature that would fit the theme of the pack the most, it obviously was simply because of the solar panels and wind turbines, but what is bothering me is that people are saying that that is the ONLY way to be eco-friendly when it simply is not. Just because I don't have the money to have solar panels in my house doesn't mean I can't help protect the environment in another way. They are adding washers and dryers to the pack because it would make no sense to introduce laundry to the game and not provide washers and dryers too. They are only giving us options and that doesn't change the fact that you will be able to do laundry in an eco-friendly way if you feel like it.

Post edited by bythedreadwolf on
    edited July 2017

Not sure if this was directed at me for saying that using a washtub and clothesline is a more traditional means to be eco-friendly. If you're doing something that is actively protecting the environment or at least preventing from hurting it, what does it matter if the means are traditional or modern? If everyone on the world would stop using washers and dryers and would use washtubs and clotheslines instead, do you really think that would have zero impact on the environment? Everyone can help the planet in their own way. I'm not saying that Off The Grid wasn't the feature that would fit the theme of the pack the most, it obviously was simply because of the solar panels and wind turbines, but what is bothering me is that people are saying that that is the ONLY way to be eco-friendly when it simply is not. Just because I don't have the money to have solar panels in my house doesn't mean I can't help protect the environment in another way. They are adding washers and dryers to the pack because it would make no sense to introduce laundry to the game and not provide washers and dryers too. They are only giving us options and that doesn't change the fact that you will be able to do laundry in an eco-friendly way if you feel like it.

Because they said the theme was Eco friendly - but what they are offering is laundry.

ETA - Oh and no - my reply was not directed at you - it was the ones that mentioned it was about "Old Timey families and Stuff" and others that compared it to hippies communal getting back to basics living from the 70's etc in other posts. As if that's what being eco - friendly meant to them - when it is actually the most modern concept long after all the above was a thing. When science saw what humans were doing to the planet....

In dreams - I LIVE!

@BeJaWa

@Writin_Reg

Thanks for your replies.

@Writin_Reg You're right; solar panels should have been a given in an eco-friendly pack (not subject to vote). I mention solar panels as, like you, I can't imagine offering a laundry-based eco-friendly stuff pack without them. I think hope solar panels will still be included in the stuff pack. And if they don't include them, then I'm at a loss. Well, not completely, as we still have that clothesline.

Because I couldn't remember everything, I did a search on the very first vote we did for this stuff pack. The original overall-themes for the stuff pack were: Eco Living Stuff, Starter Home Stuff, Arcade Stuff, Dangerous Stuff, and Wedding Stuff.

"Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy."

I wish we had more in-depth discussions back then about laundry and how it fits with eco-living; maybe it would have mattered.

As it is, I'm curious to see what this "Eco Living" stuff pack will deliver in its final form (the devs did say on the official blog that the theme chosen (Eco Living) will influence every part of the pack's development). A lot of simmers are certainly providing plenty of ideas for that.

For me, the absolute best outcome of this entire process would be an Off-the-Grid game pack that includes Food Preserves/Carbon Conscious features (yes, I did sign the petition).

Exactly.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Eco-friendly is not exclusive to solar panels and wind turbines. There are other ways to be eco-friendly, like not using a washer and a dryer (even though we will have the option to use it, which is good, options are great!) and using a wash tub and clothesline instead. That is eco-friendly. Riding your bike to work instead of using your car is being eco-friendly. When you choose to do mundane tasks in a way that is friendly to the environment you are being eco-friendly. At least that's how I always interpreted it.

I think a lot of people are upset that their favorite feature didn't win and are now trying to make it sound like laundry is not a valid option for the theme. I mean, I get it. Off The Grid was most definitely the most "eco-friendly" theme of all 4, I'm not going to even argue about that, but that doesn't mean other things can't also fit the theme. Food preserves and nectar making are hardly themes that instantly makes me think "eco-friendly" but they were also an option. It was more on the sense of "living off the land = eco-friendly" in the same sense that laundry is more like "choose more traditional means to do something = eco-friendly".

I think you missed my originel post where I said the power used by laundry machiens are the smaller issue when it comes to laundry. If that was the only thing that made laundry bad then washing by hand would be more eco. As I said the issues with laundry is the chemicals.

Also everything we do could be done in a greener manner. With the logic adding wash bins means laundry fits the theme than pretty much any idea could be eco. Except that isn't really true. Laundry will be laundry offer one way to save power from the sounds of it and nothing else which doesn't quite work. Being eco friendly requires more than one thing being done, many smaller steps. Off the grid also only really had one step being taken as well it was however a step everyone sees as eco. Solar panels and alternate energy are almost poster children for going green.

I would still argue off the grid didn't really cover the full scope of greenliving but at least it is using items everyone recognizes as part of the green movement.

For the record I also don't really see the food preserves as eco either and I never said that before either.

You assuming I lost the vote, is why I initially said we will have different opinions no matter what. You have labeled me as just bitter so I would have argued anyways right? :/
    I don't buy sps. Never have and trust me I couldn't give a rats bottom what won because I never will, I participated because I found it interesting and argue now laundry isn't green because it is an area I have researched extensively and I feel it is inaccurate to try and label this pack in such a manner. Also I find it kind of diminishes the idea of green living to try and say this one thing embodies the eco friendly living life enough it warrants a title of eco, nevermind it addresses only the least harmful part of laundry. As said above eco living is many steps not one minor one.

The pack is laundry I wish they didn't say it was eco living. Unless they add a lot more outside of laundry I will be hard pressed to ever say it is eco living. That doesn't matter though laundry is being made regardless if I think of it as eco or domestic.

Edit: thought I made a mistake I didn't so nvm.
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
    edited July 2017
    @BeJaWa

@Writin_Reg

Thanks for your replies.

Why thank you for your reply :smile:
    Also I largly agree with this comment so have another smile :)
    I think it still would have been better to have a domestic theme to vote on in the first place for laundry or other housekeeping stuff. I think it would have done just as well and it would have been clearer from the start for everyone. Just my opinion though just like this has become a domestic sp to me even though its not official.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member

Because they said the theme was Eco friendly - but what they are offering is laundry.

ETA - Oh and no - my reply was not directed at you - it was the ones that mentioned it was about "Old Timey families and Stuff" and others that compared it to hippies communal getting back to basics living from the 70's etc in other posts. As if that's what being eco - friendly meant to them - when it is actually the most modern concept long after all the above was a thing. When science saw what humans were doing to the planet....

I said something about old timey families. I don't recall insinuating that eco freindly meant living in an old timey old fashioned way though. My comment was only in relation to washtubs/clothes lines vs washer/dryers and how the former is old timey and something most people probably wouldn't use in a game/story with sims who are living a more modern lifestyle. And I only mentioned that because others were talking about how laundry is not eco friendly and maybe they should only include washtubs and not machines.
  • heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    I can't care enough for laundry. If it won awesome, but can we change the name of the SP? I think eco stuff is awesome and it would be great to actually get one in the future. We can name this one house chores stuff or whatever.

I agree that the theme should definitely change. If this pack stays with the eco theme tacked onto it then I doubt we will ever get a proper eco themed pack. Cause, why should EA make another pack with the same theme as one they've already done when there are so many other pack types that they want to release for us players. They're not going to waste their time and sacrifice another pack type to do another eco pack. It's not going to happen. Besides they could easily say, "laundry won the vote therefore simmers don't care for the other gameplay items listed." And not give us actual eco friendly type gameplay items.

That being said, I have wanted solar panels and wind turbines since day one because bills get incredibly high. Can we at least get these in a free update if we're not going to get a proper eco pack?

I voted for the canning options cause I would have gotten more use out of it than the other options and it appealed to my play style far better, so I do hope we get this in another pack. Like maybe a country/farming gp or ep?
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200