Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

June 4th dev update - learn about object creation

2...Next

Comments

• PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    > @SimGuruGraham said:
    >
    > I think this contributes to the occasional friction where SimGurus refer to something as having new gameplay, when players don't consider certain things to constitute new gameplay. We have a tendency to think about things from a development perspective, where it matters who works on which aspect of the game, and how it impacts our schedule.
    >

@SimGuruGraham , your statement is very true and reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago when I was working for the Graphics Department of a book publisher. The cartoon had different panels with each one depicting how each department in an office saw the production of a tree swing. Engineering, Design, Accounting, Advertising, etc. all saw something different, but what was really hilarious was that not any department saw the tree swing in the way the customer actually wanted it! LOL :D
    I want to thank you for this insight in to how our favorite game is made! I found it fascinating! B)

@EvaAngel2017 The only word I understood was "Симс" which is "Sims"! Thanks for teaching me how to spell Sims in Russian! <3
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    I
    So can I presume most of clutter can't just have mimics like the other objects? They're very different from each other in shape. And what about build mode items like wall paintings, floor tiles? We didn't vote for them amongst the objects, do they count as feature?

When it comes to clutter, we generally have a few very basic block models... for example, when things fit into slots on a table, we have small decoratives, medium decoratives, and large decoratives. The block model for each of these is just a rectangle, that whatever piece of clutter must fit inside.

Things like wall materials and floor tiles would also be part of this process, we just didn't include any in this particular pack. Because it eats into our asset count, we generally feel it's less appropriate to include them in smaller packs, unless the theme doesn't have any existing materials that match well with it. Because they're smaller, we're also able to occasionally slip some extra materials in that are done by our internal artists during the polish phase of the pack when we're fixing bugs.

Весь Симс это шедевр! Аналогов которому никогда не будет. Я психолог и я в шоке! Единственное, что я задаю себе каждый день -Как? -Как Вы это делаете? Вы волшебники?! Даже для взрослых мам это интересно! Спасибо из России ОГРОМНОЕ!!! Вы делаете нас счастливыми! TV Sims Machinima.

If Google Translate converted this to English correctly, then I'll just say thank you for the nice message of support. :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Are you allowed to say what software is used for the block models? Just asking out of interest...

It reminds me of Wings 3D, I got to grips with that program a little when I started learning how to make a few objects back in the days of sims 2 (cloning). I never did get too far though, it was very complex and time consuming for a beginner!
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I
    So can I presume most of clutter can't just have mimics like the other objects? They're very different from each other in shape. And what about build mode items like wall paintings, floor tiles? We didn't vote for them amongst the objects, do they count as feature?

When it comes to clutter, we generally have a few very basic block models... for example, when things fit into slots on a table, we have small decoratives, medium decoratives, and large decoratives. The block model for each of these is just a rectangle, that whatever piece of clutter must fit inside.

Things like wall materials and floor tiles would also be part of this process, we just didn't include any in this particular pack. Because it eats into our asset count, we generally feel it's less appropriate to include them in smaller packs, unless the theme doesn't have any existing materials that match well with it. Because they're smaller, we're also able to occasionally slip some extra materials in that are done by our internal artists during the polish phase of the pack when we're fixing bugs.

Весь Симс это шедевр! Аналогов которому никогда не будет. Я психолог и я в шоке! Единственное, что я задаю себе каждый день -Как? -Как Вы это делаете? Вы волшебники?! Даже для взрослых мам это интересно! Спасибо из России ОГРОМНОЕ!!! Вы делаете нас счастливыми! TV Sims Machinima.

If Google Translate converted this to English correctly, then I'll just say thank you for the nice message of support. :)

Guess I was focusing on the shape and forgetting that the objective here which is properly fitting them in the space hahaha Thinking about it now I can definitely see the block demiliting their sizes, like the ones made for a shelf, a table or the floor. And thanks for the answer!
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • TilogyTilogy Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you for sharing all this fabulous information! I am SO excited to play with this new pack! I already have SO many ideas for my new speed builds!!!
  • 9743V9743V Posts: 14 New Member
    never really thought about how these objects were designed and put together, I certainly appreciate all the hard work that goes into designing things now!
  • OoAtomicKittenoOOoAtomicKittenoO Posts: 47 Member
    This is cool! It's great getting some insight into one of my favorite games.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nifty! So how long does it usually take to make a chair or any other object? Takes me 3 weeks just to make a cannon and another 3 to 4 weeks just to make a wheel for a jeep on Blender. I'm also curious on how they are made so smoothly without the extra pixels.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• AntonGladerAntonGlader Posts: 54 Member

This is so interesting to follow! I studied some game graphics and animation in high school but sadly it didn't teach me much ( because the education was ehm.. not good)

Anyway I love to read this to understand more of how my favorite game is made. And dream about that I wanna work for the sims one day....

// AntonGlader or TheAntonGlader on twitter
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    This isn't about sims but it's an interesting little blog about a team creating an object for a game: http://www.lizengland.com/blog/2014/04/the-door-problem/
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    @IngeJones That's eye opening. It should be required reading for all Simmers. No wonder we've never had windows that open in the Sims.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Oh it's not working for me either now :( Here is another link where someone has quoted it:

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LizEngland/20140423/216092/quotThe_Door_Problemquot_of_Game_Design.php

• SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    IngeJones wrote: »
    This isn't about sims but it's an interesting little blog about a team creating an object for a game: http://www.lizengland.com/blog/2014/04/the-door-problem/

Thanks Inge - an enjoyable and relatable read.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this and your transparency! The block model thing is very interesting. :)
    @SimGuruGraham I found a block model in the game files a while ago. Can you tell me which object this is? Looks kind of weird.
    Gmhg9uP.png

That was a block model for a toilet stall. You can see the contact surfaces for where the Sim would have sat, where Sims with the Handiness skill would have used a wrench on it, and on the door at the front of the stall where Sims would have pushed it open. It was originally planned for base game, but ended up getting cut long before the game shipped - before the game was first revealed to the public even. I don't believe it ever got past the block model phase, so there wasn't a whole lot of work done on it.

I will note that this isn't indicative of a toilet stall being added in the future, although I do agree with sentiment that other players have expressed who want to see it return.

I would be another that would be interested in this return.

Me too

It would look great for improving the look of toilets in public lots. And of course, since the block model's done, that's a chunk of the work ready; it's a shame to let files go to waste.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • pinkkbellepinkkbelle Posts: 31 Member
    This is so interesting to see the behind the scenes of making packs!
  • PepseyrulesPepseyrules Posts: 32 Member
    Those are lit.
    Peace. Love. and Happiness.
  • Dower420Dower420 Posts: 1 New Member
    I just want them to let us sell more then 1 fruit/vegetable from our inventory at a time on console. Wont let me at all.
  • simoleanjsimoleanj Posts: 87 Member
    It's really cool to see how this stuff works, behind the scenes. Thanks for sharing
  • BootiesrusBootiesrus Posts: 11 New Member
    Thanks for sharing this :O it really makes us appreciate all the hard work developers as well as custom content creators put into all of this! :3
  • Emma0708000Emma0708000 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for the Insight!
    Simply Sims | Youtuber
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    fascinating thank you.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Johnvincent1229Johnvincent1229 Posts: 24 Member
    are there any plans for a supernatural pack?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top