Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing around with settings on a 5k iMac.

Hey guys! I've been messing around with some graphics options on my 5k iMac, trying to get the game to look good and play smoothly at the same time, and I thought I'd get some feedback on the things I have found so far.

On the Windows side of my computer, where I used to primarily stream, I would always use the 1440p resolution, and to me that looked just fine. I started the process of switching everything to the Mac side of my computer today, as I don't play any Windows only games anymore, and OH MY LORDY- the Retina support with the 5k resolution in TS4 is simply stunning.

I didn't want to settle for going back to a, now seemingly fuzzy, 1440p resolution, so I started to see what I needed to turn down to get it to play smoothly.

I have found that turning on Laptop Mode, and turning the distance to low, while the Retina support is ticked on allows me to turn up a lot of the textures that I like to keep on Medium or High, without losing much performance-wise.

Has anyone else had any specific experiences with these options, and is there anything you have found has really helped?
CyXin77.gif
American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
Origin ID: texeganjane
How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!

Comments

• ElyxiamElyxiam Posts: 2 New Member
    Probably a little late here but what graphics card do you have? I have a 5k Retina iMac as well and I'm able to play in the native 5120 x 2880 resolution (Retina on) with Ultra settings. Fps isn't as great as id like but its definitely playable with minimal lag so far.
  • LBDXLBDX Posts: 382 Member
    Elyxiam wrote: »
    Probably a little late here but what graphics card do you have? I have a 5k Retina iMac as well and I'm able to play in the native 5120 x 2880 resolution (Retina on) with Ultra settings. Fps isn't as great as id like but its definitely playable with minimal lag so far.

AMD Radeon R9 M395

Are you playing on the Mac version or the Windows version? I've played around with both, and I have found that the Mac version looks much better, but the Windows version can play much more smoothly with max settings.
    CyXin77.gif
    American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
    Origin ID: texeganjane
    How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!
  • Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    Sims 4 on the 5k iMac is amazing! I have one as well. The Screenshots you take look so real! I couldn't find a 1080p option though I have mine set to a high resolution. What's your's set on?
  • ElyxiamElyxiam Posts: 2 New Member
    I messed around with a few settings and saw a significant boost in Fps. I'm now averaging about 50-60 fps in most places. My settings are as follows. Resolution 1920 x 1080 (You need to turn off Retina for this), All other settings on ULTRA, and turn edge smoothing to high, post processing on. I literally notice no difference graphics wise and my game runs super smooth so I'm a happy camper.
  • DarayaVahu777DarayaVahu777 Posts: 12 New Member
    Hi! I thought if I would buy 5K iMac I would be easily able to play Sims 4 at native retina resolution on ultra settings without going under 60fps, because it's so expensive, also the game is couple years old now, and graphics looks pretty simple.
    Looks like that's not the case from what I find on google. That's so disappointing.

I can't find out if Sims 4 use Metal on macOS, probably not, that's why it sucks, and now Metal 2 comes out they should use it.

Right now I have 2012 21.5 1080p 640m iMac and Sims 4 are playable at 1080p only on low settings ;( it won't even turn on on medium :( I can't visit San Myshuno, game will crash right away, everywhere else it's up to 40fps but goes down to under 10fps if lots of sims around.

Can you guys please upload screenshots at retina 5K resolution?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited June 2017
    Right now I have 2012 21.5 1080p 640m iMac and Sims 4 are playable at 1080p only on low settings ;( it won't even turn on on medium :( I can't visit San Myshuno, game will crash right away, everywhere else it's up to 40fps but goes down to under 10fps if lots of sims around.

That's because there's an issue with the NVIDIA 640M 512Mb GPUs which EA have never bothered fixing. Downloading and installing NVIDIA's beta driver fixes it but when you're not gaming you should switch back to the Apple driver as the NVIDIA one causes kernel panics.

apple-signature.png
  • DarayaVahu777DarayaVahu777 Posts: 12 New Member
    How much GPU TFLOPS to play Sims 4 at ultra settings on Mac on native Retina 5K 5120‑by‑2880 resolution without fps under 60?

Would 3.6 TFLOPS with 4GB VRAM be enough? (Radeon Pro 570)

Or would not even 5.5 TFLOPS with 8GB VRAM be enough? (Radeon Pro 580)

Also is i7 processor worth over i5 in this case?
    How much would RAM matter, 8GB enough or 32GB better?
    And do Sims 4 benefit greatly from SSD?

AMD Radeon R9 M395 of LBDX thread starter is 2.9TFLOPS and have 2GB VRAM but he had to turn on Laptop Mode, and the distance to low, I personally would not be able to play like that, with spending that much on computer if I had to at most I could turn down edge smoothing from high to low but rest at max, but in that case that would probably mean that this GPU wouldn't be enough future proof for Sims 5. I wonder if 3.6TF and 4GB is better enough.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I have a quad processor in my iMac and it runs both Sims 3 & 4 just fine. And I would recommend 32GB of RAM as it makes anything easier to run.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.