Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Community Contest to create the Cover Render Sims!

I just had a cool idea for how to involve the community into this stuff pack even further than just participating in a survey, they could hold a contest to create the Cover Render Sims and the winner actually gets their Sims on the cover of the pack!
Because we're being given a look-in on every step of this process and we already know the theme of the pack, I think it'd be a nice opportunity for a lucky few people to get their Sims seen by hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people!

They could hold a contest for lets say, a week, to create a single Sim with the theme of Eco living, they'd then look through and find their favourites, maybe 3 or 4, and then those Sims would be put into the official Cover Render for the world to see!

What'ya all think of this idea? Would it be possible @SimGuruGraham ? I just thought it'd be a cute extra way to get the community more involved, rather than just ticking a survey box. :blush:

Comments

• TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    That's a cool idea! They could pick a bunch of Sims, and have the community vote on which ones to put on the cover.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I just had a cool idea for how to involve the community into this stuff pack even further than just participating in a survey, they could hold a contest to create the Cover Render Sims and the winner actually gets their Sims on the cover of the pack!
    Because we're being given a look-in on every step of this process and we already know the theme of the pack, I think it'd be a nice opportunity for a lucky few people to get their Sims seen by hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people!

They could hold a contest for lets say, a week, to create a single Sim with the theme of Eco living, they'd then look through and find their favourites, maybe 3 or 4, and then those Sims would be put into the official Cover Render for the world to see!

What'ya all think of this idea? Would it be possible @SimGuruGraham ? I just thought it'd be a cute extra way to get the community more involved, rather than just ticking a survey box. :blush:

Maxis already uploads a lot of them to the gallery.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    That's a cool idea! They could pick a bunch of Sims, and have the community vote on which ones to put on the cover.

Glad you think so! They did the same with SimCity 2013 I believe, where they chose a selection of the communities Sims and used them as the advisors in game.

Yes but they're created by someone on the Sims team, I'm suggesting they let us create our own Sims for them to use on the cover!
    True. But imagine the thrill of seeing your Sim immortalized on the cover of a Stuff Pack.
    Unfortunately, there would probably be a whole slew of legal issues involved with Maxis using an image created by someone else. The winners would have to sign waivers to guarantee that those images could be used without compensation.
    I could be wrong, and I hope I am, 'cause it'd be fun.

7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I love this idea! :) This would be soooo cool!
    a256aFi.gif
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    Hi @keylimepiesims - great minds think alike. This is something we already discussed when we were planning this project as one of the potential things that the community could vote on. We talked about having votes for which Sims appeared on the cover, as well as what pose they'd be in on the cover.

Unfortunately that aspect of the project wasn't something we were able to move forward with. "Key art" - what we call the cover art and various renders that you see released as part of our marketing material, is a really important component for our marketing team. It's a process where we get the ball rolling internally, and then work with external partners to find the right look that captures the essence of the pack, and helps the product stand out - with consideration to the various international markets that we sell The Sims in. Ultimately, the way we manage that process just didn't translate well to having the community vote on different options for us to proceed with.

That said, that's where voting on the pack's icon, and the pack's final name come into play. I think it'll be a nice way to cap off this project we'll be creating together!
    Hi @keylimepiesims - great minds think alike. This is something we already discussed when we were planning this project as one of the potential things that the community could vote on. We talked about having votes for which Sims appeared on the cover, as well as what pose they'd be in on the cover.

Unfortunately that aspect of the project wasn't something we were able to move forward with. "Key art" - what we call the cover art and various renders that you see released as part of our marketing material, is a really important component for our marketing team. It's a process where we get the ball rolling internally, and then work with external partners to find the right look that captures the essence of the pack, and helps the product stand out - with consideration to the various international markets that we sell The Sims in. Ultimately, the way we manage that process just didn't translate well to having the community vote on different options for us to proceed with.

That said, that's where voting on the pack's icon, and the pack's final name come into play. I think it'll be a nice way to cap off this project we'll be creating together!

Ah I see, no worries then, just thought it'd be an extra bit of fun, but if it's going to make the marketing process more complicated then I can understand not wanting to go that route! :)

Darn. I was going to nominate @luthienrising's avatar.
    Thank you for explaining the process you guys go through in picking out the art! That's what this pack is all about, after all.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • m11kjm11kj Posts: 410 Member

@SimGuruGraham hmm, but I don't think 'voting' was the OP's suggestion? They were suggesting if the community gets to create in CAS a sim that fits to be one of the marketing characters..I understand that for international marketing reasons the team might want sims with very specific looks/characteristics so that's decided internally, but that's okay, since if I'm not misunderstanding you are out-sourcing your sim character creation anyways, why not look among the community where there's far more possibilities and FREE? To add to the op's suggestion, why not announce the specifics of the characters you guys want, and let the community create the best ones?
    To fall back a little, if all is too much or the budget for cover art is already set, just let us create ONE of the characters? we can use existing cas items to get the feel mostly close, and the art team gets to decide the final tweaks?

W79XhDj.png