Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making our own medicine/soaps and stuff

2...Next

Comments

• 4Sanne4Sanne Posts: 46 Member
    BooV7227 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was looking up homemade soap-making for something else, and you can use olive oil. Give us an olive tree, lye, and a bunch of colors and scents, and there you go, simmade soaps!

Where do you get lye?
    *edit: you get it by leaching ashes.

(EVIL LAUGHTER) I just imagined an assembly line of vampies in the sun to keep a consistent supply of lye...

It's lucky (for those vampires) we already have campfires and fireplaces :)
  • BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    Sanne22681 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was looking up homemade soap-making for something else, and you can use olive oil. Give us an olive tree, lye, and a bunch of colors and scents, and there you go, simmade soaps!

Where do you get lye?

(EVIL LAUGHTER) I just imagined an assembly line of vampies in the sun to keep a consistent supply of lye...

GASP.

But where's the fun in that? Get rid of all my poorly dressed vampires, AND make lovely soaps? Two birds with one stone!
    tCTe03l.png
  • 4Sanne4Sanne Posts: 46 Member
    Sanne22681 wrote: »

Where do you get lye?

GASP.

But where's the fun in that? Get rid of all my poorly dressed vampires, AND make lovely soaps? Two birds with one stone!

Hahaha, true... very true :tongue::wink:
    In the spirit of recycling we can maybe even make an extract from their teeth or blood to cure all kinds of allergies and illnesses (and maybe bad fashion taste? :wink:) :tongue:
  • LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I much prefer having herbal remedies than manufactured medicine. Would love the option for some hot lemon water with honey for colds. I never use anything from a drug store except for allergy medicine . .and a nurse even said not to put much stock in manufactured medicine, herbal is a much safer option the last time I had to go to the hospital.
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I like the ideas you have. I'd like to see a "Grandma's Chicken Soup" which would heal colds faster than say, orange juice or tea. The tea maker needs to be revamped anyway. I can never get a better quality than normal. Maybe we could use fruits from the garden for fruitier tea blends.

Candle making, soaps, and other things like that could be done on a stove. I'd rather use a stove than another large item that would take up space.

I agree on everything you said! Yes the tea maker does need revamping, they don't even have a kettle in the game lol i have never seen one in the Sims and thats how majority of people make tea... they put the kettle on and and add a tea bag to their mug...I have never seen a kitchen without a kettle.

HR43904.jpg

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    reiureya wrote: »
    I can see making herbal medicines, since some people already have Outdoor Living, but making soap would be a little harder. One of the key ingredients in making soap is fat. >.>; There isn't any hunting in the game. I dunno if you could get that kind of stuff from fish or not. If they did a Castaway spin off for this game, then soap making would totally be doable.

If we are talking about making herbal remedies though... Maybe they could add that to an EP (If we don't get anything like this in the stuff pack) and expand on it's capabilities. I mean a lot of people have Get to Work and Spa Day now. Maybe they could add a homeopathic medicine career where you make the medicine as one of your daily tasks, and you can use it on your Sim and others that are in town. It'd be easier to do that in an EP because they could add a special lot for it just like they did with Get to Work. If you had Spa Day as well as the EP it came in, you could even sell some of your herbal remedies to the Spa for the Sims that are visiting. That might add interactions and objects to your Spa Day stuff. We'll see though :3

Fat isn't too hard to get if you fry up a batch of hamburger meat and save the fat in a jar. We always did that growing up.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    Love it....candles as well would be awesome. I would like it if we could use the flowers and herbs we harvest to scent the soaps and candles. Also, soybean as a new harvestable would make a nice addition, since you can use soy for candles and soaps.

I also wanna see the return of beekeeping! Beeswax and honey are great for making soap and candles and medicine. Plus, you can bottle up the honey and sell it or use it to bake stuff/ make drinks.

Finally, I'd like to see tea leaves as harvestables (and something you can dry, package and sell), as well as the ability to use some of the herb ingredients to make tea infusions- mint, chamomile, lavender, etc. Maybe we need a dehydrator hmmm?
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    RubyxAngel wrote: »
    I like the ideas you have. I'd like to see a "Grandma's Chicken Soup" which would heal colds faster than say, orange juice or tea. The tea maker needs to be revamped anyway. I can never get a better quality than normal. Maybe we could use fruits from the garden for fruitier tea blends.

Candle making, soaps, and other things like that could be done on a stove. I'd rather use a stove than another large item that would take up space.

I agree on everything you said! Yes the tea maker does need revamping, they don't even have a kettle in the game lol i have never seen one in the Sims and thats how majority of people make tea... they put the kettle on and and add a tea bag to their mug...I have never seen a kitchen without a kettle.

HR43904.jpg

I'd love to see a tea kettle and hear the whistle when the hot water is ready!!!
  • pie46733pie46733 Posts: 4 New Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Making soaps would be cool, but medicine?

I don't know about you, but if I get ill I wouldn't be inclined to take an antibiotic if a family member had made it themselves. :D

That could be an idea thought. Like low quality medicine could have 'a made it worse' type buff where it increases the amount of time it takes to recover.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    it could add a totally different career path for people who want to do homeopathic medicine.
    Aeriexo11 wrote: »
    I am all about homeopathic medicine.

Oh dear...
    OH dear....

It's all quackery
    I much prefer having herbal remedies than manufactured medicine.
    Remidies won't save your life, medicine will.

What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Medicine.

As someone with multiple chronic illnesses, I'm sick of the quackery. If I want quacks, I'll hang out with ducks, not waste money on 'cures'

Certainly there are some natural things that are proven to work, white willow bark, for example. You might have heard of asprin. Asprin is the part of white willow bark that does the job, it's a bit more concentrated, and a bit more effective.

But there are natural things that are a wast of your money and cause a lot of damage.
    Rhinos are nearing extinction because there are some quacks who still use their horns in folk cures. The horn is of no use to those seeking the cure, but it means a heck of a lot to the poor rhino who gets slaughtered for it.

And there are plenty of children who have died, because their parents refuse to take them to a real doctor, prefering to use 'tratitional medicine' which results in death, becuase it's not medicine.

I do not want this sort of thing in the game, it's bad enough that there is so much of it in the real world.

Sure, some herbal remedies for really minor things might be amusing. But homeopathy is nothing more than a religion, and the game is supposed to be free from such things.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I love these ideas. Even on the Sim guru give us ideas page, they plainly said to keep the coutryish vibe in mind when giving ideas and so many ideas on there and posts/threads on here have nothing to do with that and what the pack is about. I've decided to only comment on posts/threads that stay on track, because this is a countryish pack. Making our own soaps and home remedies is part of that country vibe. Great ideas. :)
  • RinieSilmeRinieSilme Posts: 53 Member
    Cool!
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    it could add a totally different career path for people who want to do homeopathic medicine.
    Aeriexo11 wrote: »
    I am all about homeopathic medicine.

Oh dear...
    OH dear....

It's all quackery
    I much prefer having herbal remedies than manufactured medicine.
    Remidies won't save your life, medicine will.

What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Medicine.

As someone with multiple chronic illnesses, I'm sick of the quackery. If I want quacks, I'll hang out with ducks, not waste money on 'cures'

Certainly there are some natural things that are proven to work, white willow bark, for example. You might have heard of asprin. Asprin is the part of white willow bark that does the job, it's a bit more concentrated, and a bit more effective.

But there are natural things that are a wast of your money and cause a lot of damage.
    Rhinos are nearing extinction because there are some quacks who still use their horns in folk cures. The horn is of no use to those seeking the cure, but it means a heck of a lot to the poor rhino who gets slaughtered for it.

And there are plenty of children who have died, because their parents refuse to take them to a real doctor, prefering to use 'tratitional medicine' which results in death, becuase it's not medicine.

I do not want this sort of thing in the game, it's bad enough that there is so much of it in the real world.

Sure, some herbal remedies for really minor things might be amusing. But homeopathy is nothing more than a religion, and the game is supposed to be free from such things.

I won't debate natural vs chemical with you as this really isn't the forum for that.

The illnesses the sims get are silly and fun in nature. The game steers away from major illnesses and stuff like that. Which is why I think natural medicines and soaps/lotions would be fun in game.

It really wouldn't even be for illnesses per-say, as you'd have to get to work for that. It be more so a potion to make your sim flirty, inspired, focused and etc. A natural perfumed soap that makes other sims more likely to accept your sims advances (like the beguiling reward), a lotion that keeps your sim clean for 24 hours. A soap that gets rid of a tense moodlet, a potion that makes them energized longer. A potion to help them sleep, or gain skills faster for a certain time period and so on.

A lot of these things are in the game in ways already, like with the bubble blower (city life) the bath soaks (spa day) and so on but it would be another fun way to incorporate ways that let us influence our sims moods and what not. It would
    be even better if sometimes they fail. For example the perfumed cream causes the sim to stink for 24 hours if they didn't make it right
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Klthf wrote: »
    I would like to see something like making herbal medicines at some point, but I feel they also need to expand on the sickness system. Right now sickness is only part of Get to Work, as far as I am aware, and it doesn't really add to gameplay that much. There is already a medicine that seems to work for all diseases.

Soap making, on the other hand, I think would be more realistic. I especially like the idea of having soaps with different herbs that each have their own unique foam color and effects. It would function like the bubble blower, but instead of blowing bubbles, your Sims will take a bath. On the other hand, it feels like a missed chance for Spa Day.

Currently the gameplay with sickness is so boring that I don't see much use of making more medicine. Nothing happens when your sim get sick, you get a moodlet for a little while, perhaps some kind of animation and that is it. There are no consequences to treating or not treating it to me at least. There is gameplay for an active doctor-sim in diagnosing it but not much else. As much as I enjoy crafting things I feel like they would have to "fix" it first.

For me I would rather see them making something else.
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    Klthf wrote: »
    I would like to see something like making herbal medicines at some point, but I feel they also need to expand on the sickness system. Right now sickness is only part of Get to Work, as far as I am aware, and it doesn't really add to gameplay that much. There is already a medicine that seems to work for all diseases.

Soap making, on the other hand, I think would be more realistic. I especially like the idea of having soaps with different herbs that each have their own unique foam color and effects. It would function like the bubble blower, but instead of blowing bubbles, your Sims will take a bath. On the other hand, it feels like a missed chance for Spa Day.

Currently the gameplay with sickness is so boring that I don't see much use of making more medicine. Nothing happens when your sim get sick, you get a moodlet for a little while, perhaps some kind of animation and that is it. There are no consequences to treating or not treating it to me at least. There is gameplay for an active doctor-sim in diagnosing it but not much else. As much as I enjoy crafting things I feel like they would have to "fix" it first.

For me I would rather see them making something else.

That is exactly what I meant by expanding on the sickness system. There have to be more consuquences, so using medicines actually becomes meaningful. For example, a sick Sim might not be able to go to work, or might not be able to work on his/her skills, he/she might constantly fall asleep of might not be able to eat, or might have to go to the toilet very often. Besides expanding on these sicknesses, I would also like to see the option to go to the hospital when you are sick. The doctor might then prescribe a medicine. A that point having different medicines to treat the different symptomes might actually become meaningful.