Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Love the Sims 4

2...Next

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think if a game has the potential to become 'the most endearing version' (for individuals obviously, there's no such thing as a most endearing version in general) that status should be there already, two and a half years in. People who love the game still don't consider it that? That surprises me to be honest.

For me, it's really close to TS2 so far, but that's only because we don't have seasons yet, and I absolutely love seasons. If I compare TS2 without Seasons to TS4 without Seasons, TS4 blows it out of the water though.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    I think if a game has the potential to become 'the most endearing version' (for individuals obviously, there's no such thing as a most endearing version in general) that status should be there already, two and a half years in. People who love the game still don't consider it that? That surprises me to be honest.

For me, it's really close to TS2 so far, but that's only because we don't have seasons yet, and I absolutely love seasons. If I compare TS2 without Seasons to TS4 without Seasons, TS4 blows it out of the water though.
    Yes, this is what I'd expect if you love this iteration (though the 'blowing out of the water' remark always sounds a bit like overcompensating to me ;); none of the games blow each other out of the water and certainly not Sims 4, they just have different approaches). Of course it's not complete yet. But it doesn't have to be to be endearing. I can't say I enjoyed Sims 3 any less in 2010 than I do in 2017 with everything in it, even when I couldn't go back to that. That game was one amazing ride for me. The fact all kind of unknown, mysterious things would be added to it in the future rather contributed to the fun, it didn't withhold me from finding it utterly endearing (a bit too much at times...).
    5JZ57S6.png

Yes, this is what I'd expect if you love this iteration (though the 'blowing out of the water' remark always sounds a bit like overcompensating to me ;); none of the games blow each other out of the water and certainly not Sims 4, they just have different approaches). Of course it's not complete yet. But it doesn't have to be to be endearing. I can't say I enjoyed Sims 3 any less in 2010 than I do in 2017 with everything in it, even when I couldn't go back to that. That game was one amazing ride for me. The fact all kind of unknown, mysterious things would be added to it in the future rather contributed to the fun, it didn't withhold me from finding it utterly endearing (a bit too much at times...).

I really love TS2, but at this point, there isn't much I find better in TS2 compared to TS4, mainly the aspiration/lifetime system, being able to move/add/remove lots, and the dominant/recessive genetics, while there are so many things TS4 do better. I guess I'm just lucky because a lot of the things people apparently miss from TS2 are things I didn't like : for example curfews, NPCs, fears, life states, terrain tools... So it blows TS2 out of the water for me simply because it's far closer to what I personally want in a Sims game. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I really love TS2, but at this point, there isn't much I find better in TS2 compared to TS4, mainly the aspiration/lifetime system, being able to move/add/remove lots, and the dominant/recessive genetics, while there are so many things TS4 do better. I guess I'm just lucky because a lot of the things people apparently miss from TS2 are things I didn't like : for example curfews, NPCs, fears, life states, terrain tools... So it blows TS2 out of the water for me simply because it's far closer to what I personally want in a Sims game. :)

It sort of seems you are more blown away by what they didn't include than you stated of what you actually like. Is that like I hate strawberries so since you left strawberries off my strawberry shortcake, I really love strawberry shortcake now? ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Astro wrote: »

I have to agree with this. I hear the word "potential" a lot when people talk about TS4, and frankly I don't think a game should have to have potential if it was a good game in the first place. Which, imo, TS4 was not.

same here i think potential can be a good thing and right now i like elements of the game but at the same time those elements also feel incomplete. sims 2 and 3 i feel like they feel like complete games right now and felt complete when they first came out this game felt empty and right now it feels incomplete.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For goodness sake, why are you all trying so hard to challenge her feelings about Sims 4?

psst I think there is something in the water....
    egTcBMc.png
  • hitomieyeshitomieyes Posts: 108 Member
    I think
    Mixed Martial Arts skill and objects
    Fitness club
    new career trainer
    Cinebar wrote: »

It sort of seems you are more blown away by what they didn't include than you stated of what you actually like. Is that like I hate strawberries so since you left strawberries off my strawberry shortcake, I really love strawberry shortcake now? ;)

No it's not like that, like I said, there're so many things TS4 do better for me. They kept the best from TS2 (except the things I mentionned, aspirations, etc) and then added a ton of cool things on top.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2017
    Sure, TS4 can be amazing if they more work on, they forgot often that but details are very important.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    For goodness sake, why are you all trying so hard to challenge her feelings about Sims 4?

psst I think there is something in the water....

Yeah, and I see why this is in the speculation forum. Obviously we don't know how we feel about the game. It's all speculation​ and rumor. :D rum
  • CupcakeViolenceCupcakeViolence Posts: 124 Member
    I played sims 3 sure it was great but I love sims 4 sooo much more. I didn't even own the game at first, my friend at the time (now my boyfriend) learned I played sims 3 and bought sims 4 so I would go over and hang out. Yeah at first I was like there's no basements or extra floors :O

But I never went back, I don't compare it to ANY of the other sims games cause it is its own game. The more you compare it the more miserable your gonna be.

I get so so so excited every time they put out a patch or an SP/EP/GP cause there's more content (like I need that, haven't even had time to get into the Vampires or bowling stuff god 🐸🐸🐸🐸!)

I just really love the sims 4! It's so much fun! :)
    Come check out my selection! Finding her Prince Charming

Or my blog
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I really love this game, it is the one I come back to daily. I take little vacations to other games every now and then but this is the main one.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

No it's not like that, like I said, there're so many things TS4 do better for me. They kept the best from TS2 (except the things I mentionned, aspirations, etc) and then added a ton of cool things on top.

That may be a different thread for debate, I would beg to differ they kept the best things from TS2 I have a whole laundry list. But I do appreciating being able to jump from household to household in TS4 (just like in TS2) and they did improve I could bring any Sim left at home or on a different community lot when my Sim left home to anywhere my Sim is currently as huge improvement. I always wanted that feature in TS2. So, yes, they kept a few things (rotational play support) and they absolutely improved it, but they also short circuited it by adding in some 'story progression' features like fake romances when my Sims haven't even actually met the other Sim. And the culling. But it has it's good points and then some really bad ones.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I love the fact that it is still in development so there is still scope to hope for my favourite things from previous Sims games to be included in the future. I also love the fact that it is more stable on my machine.

It is one of those games that you do not have to complete to the bitter end, having to stay up half the night but can leave and (if saved properly) can continue from where you left off next time. It's very restful for stressed people.

I'd love it better still if EA/Maxis would remember us who like building though!
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    After reading a few people words recently and last year how they are tired of the Sims 4 or they haven't played in months, that's cool, your entitled to feel that way. Even though a lot of people didn't like the base game of the Sims 4 it has came a long way since 2014. First i didn't like that all i had was one vacation spot to go to, so i stopped playing for a while but i kept updating my game for the new patches and buying the new game play they kept putting out and at some point i started to get back into the game and started enjoying it.

True the base game didn't start off great and I'm sure there are many reasons that can be argued for that, but once city living was released then toddlers then vampires the game become solid for me. The Club system is epic for improving skills faster, painting with different emotions by changing the club vibes when ever you want, it also helps makes it easy to get promoted at work if you go under the required emotions. I don't see a lot of simmers really exploring the club system on their YouTube Lets Plays which i find very disappointing. Other then wishing the Sims 4 had more space for building houses and businesses, the Get to Work Expansion Pack is my favorite. i can have a fish store, a bakery, a bookstore, an Art store, basically a store for any item in buy mode, now with the Vampire pack i can have a Vampire store.

Even though apartments is limited to where they was built and you can't build apartments on any lot you want i still enjoy the city living part of the game. Yes we can argue or debate that every game pack and EP so far can use some extra content to make it more epic and add an overdose of game play, however, I am very pleased at where the Sims 4 is in 2017. Granted the game couldn't be totally like the Sims 3, some things had to change, and new thing had to be introduced. I see a lot of people talk in hopes that the Sims 5 will be better for those who dislike the Sims 4.

Build mode is awesome, the way you create sims is awesome, and after a few updates, Game Packs, Expansion Packs, and a lot of stuff packs I am glad i stuck with the Sims 4. Even though i was a little displeased in the beginning and took a few months away but as things progressed it became a game i looked forward to playing. Now when they make a Sims 5 a lot more need to be included in the base game from the beginning to make it epic the minute it is released. Toddlers, Ghost, Half walls, Pools, Basements and a lot of the updates they put in the Sims 4 game over the years need to be in the Sims 5 from the beginning. Even some of the stuff packs, expansion packs, and game packs from the Sims 4 need to be in the Sims 5 from the beginning. Then the Sims 5 can focus on new game packs, stuff packs, and expansion packs that the Sims 1, Sim 2, Sims 3, and the Sims 4 never had.

We as players have to understand after each Sims Game they make it gets harder to beat the last version, either you gone like the new version or revert back to the old version. Hopefully a few years later their will be advancements in the video game and computer world when it comes to PC games making game play ten times as better then its previous version. Until then I will continue to enjoy the Sims 4 as they add new stuff to the game from this moment on. And maybe just maybe, I'll be the guy saying how much i love playing the Sims 4 and hate the Sims 5 since i was totally oblivious to the Sims 3 because my life wasn't stable enough to be concerned about playing PC games at the time Sims 3, Sims 2, and the Sims 1 was out.

• sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I love all of the Sims installments too! It's the one game that I collect. I appreciate and love the work of the creators! I never mind what comes out and when. Everything is bonus for me!
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Why this topic is in speculation?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    It took me a year to even try TS4 because so many people made it sound like it was the most miserable thing to ever happen to The Sims. I tried it and now I am completely hooked. Sure, there are things that I would love to see added to the game, but all things happen in time. I waited for seasons, pets, and supernatural beings with the previous installments of the series and I can wait for them now.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    It took me a year to even try TS4 because so many people made it sound like it was the most miserable thing to ever happen to The Sims. I tried it and now I am completely hooked. Sure, there are things that I would love to see added to the game, but all things happen in time. I waited for seasons, pets, and supernatural beings with the previous installments of the series and I can wait for them now.

The same thing happened to TS3. Now that TS4 is out, people hate on it just for the sake of hating. I believe that there are people who genuinely dislike it and have reasonable criticism, but then there are the ones who aren't... that's another topic. But I believe there's hope for this iteration, we just have to wait a bit.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Fillups44Fillups44 Posts: 8 New Member
    This is a positive thread and I want to keep it mostly positive. I agree with a lot of what the thread has already stated but in the wake of the reaction to the Eco Pack, I just wanted to kind of revisit the fact that some of us LOVE this game both for what it currently is and what has the potential of becoming.

I started playing the The Sims back in 2002 and I have played both the PC versions and the console versions of the game and enjoyed the various ways that the gameplay changed from platform to platform and through The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. However, the PC versions of The Sims were always much, much better than the console versions.

One of the great and unheralded achievements of The Sims 4 for console players is that it is easily the best, deepest and closest to the PC version of the game that has come out in the history of the series. I have sometimes thought that some of the deeper gameplay sacrifices that have been made were partly in an effort to bring the console and the PC game closer in quality. While the console start up had its own hiccups, it has transformed into a pretty complete mirror of the PC.

I will also say that despite missing features from almost every other previous Sims generation, I probably am enjoying The Sims 4 as much as I have ever enjoyed any Sims game. I LOVE this game.

While the initial introduction of The Sims 4 was rushed and it really hurt EA in that the reputation of The Sims 4 kept a lot of us longtime players away from it when it debuted. This decision seems to have haunted the game as a lot of the new features of the game have been met with a lot of suspicion and downright hatred from the most outspoken in the community even though over time these new features have been embraced. The Get Together pack in particular received a lot of hostility from the community even though a lot of us now look at it as one of the best expansions for the innovations it introduced.

I sort of expect a similar evolution on the Eco living pack. I have seen an enormous amount of anger and personal attacks leveled at the Sims 4 development team based on a short teaser trailer of the gameplay features. A lot of people assumed a lot of bad stuff about the pack and were ready to dismiss it out of hand. Even some the online streamers, who have provided a lot of constructive criticism of the series, were treated with hostility when they suggested that this rush to judgement was too hasty.

This anger is in the face of a team that has really made it a point to reach out to fans and engage them and have packs that were made with direct input from fans through votes and surveys. I don't know of a previous iteration of this game where a team has made that much effort to directly engage our suggestions and I don't know of a time when I have seen so much hostility aimed at a Sims team. The overwhelming negative response from fans almost makes me think that the message we are sending is not to engage because it's not worth it--people get even more hostile and suspicious.

This is also despite some substantial evidence that this Eco pack introduces a totally new gameplay feature to the series; a world, a whole environment, that reacts to our gameplay and changes based on the gameplay choices we make. We have never had a feature like this in any of the previous versions of the game and the potential to alter the world in that way and make it more organic and dynamic is one of the most intriguing developments I have seen in a long time. The fact that it covers all the environments in the game (except for Strangerville--probably because it is locked in by its own story) has the potential to really renew and deepen the game in ways that are still unknown.

I really appreciate all the constructive and thoughtful criticism that people have provided that have made the game so much better than it was and I hope that the community keeps up with that. What I hope changes is the hostility and the going to full on war with a thoughtful and responsive team over a short trailer. I feel that some of this reflects how passionate people are about this game and as a passionate player myself I appreciate the shared passion. However there is a reason we love this game. It is, despite all our concerns, something really amazing, cool and uniquely absorbing. Let's temper our anger with appreciation for what this game is.
  • ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    This is so nice to see a positive place... I am excited for ECO lifestyle, it seems to offer a lot of new game play, and i cant wait to build and make this world happen... i have so many ideas... my best friend is excited to see what i get out of it... and i am just interested as it is something new... but hey i have liked every expansion pack so far... i have found things i loved in each one... i also love the looks and graphic in it. i love that i can so easily move between the different worlds and use them as cities/countries so my game can have many connection in each and visit and i dont need to stay in one and have them all live the same place and same kind of life ... something i actually was not fond of with sims 3, even if it had open world, which was nice... i needed friends and families to all live near each other... which was bugging me when some were more outdoor types and some city types...
    I have played since sims 1 and i still love this game and i am having so much fun with it...
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2020
    You are obviously allowed to enjoy and love Sims 4. It's not because I find the game inferior that I'm going to expect people to not have fun with it.
    Unfortunately if we are to look from an objective perspective it doesn't change the fact The Sims 4 is a massive disappointment when it comes to oh so many things (which still doesn't mean you can't enjoy it or that it didn't do some things right).

The Sims 2 was a really big improvement over 1. So many new things were added, graphics got a massive boost, so many neat details that are to the day missing in 3&4 like a ton of animations for the most specific of things that add up a lot of charm in the ending, the memory cutscenes.

The Sims 3, while missing some of the charm and small details of TS2, came out with amazing and very ambitious additions of its own to the franchise - Open World being obviously the most impressive of them all. The difference it can make atmosphere and storytelling wise is just gargantuous. Nevermind the Color Wheel, beloved by so many, and of course, the fact it is still the Sims game with MOST content out of all the 5, despite the embarassing fact TS4 has been alive for far longer as of today. And here's the catch - it still improved upon a lot of the new things Sims 2 added, instead of outright removing or ignoring them like TS4.

And then we come to The Sims 4. Sure it did add some neat new things like multitasking, better UI/CAS/build mode, a graphics style that a lot of people seem to think is the best. Sadly, graphics are the easiest thing to improve mod wise. On the other hand, you literally cannot expect mods to implement Open World, Create a World, Color Wheel, swimmable bodies of water in all worlds...
    The engine appears to be so mind bogglingly limited that it fails to give us features present in even BASE Sims 2, a game that was already a DECADE old by the time 4 released, for example. It would stand to reason a game sequel should be an improvement in most areas over the predecessor due to improved technology. How in the hell are we still missing Create a World?
    The main problem with The Sims 4 is that it took away SO MUCH of value, while added so very little of worth. And then they keep trying to extend its lifetime, while being chained to this pathetic engine that was probably doomed from birth due to being conceived as a full always online game.
    There is no excuse except for a lack of effort from EA. To say that they couldn't implement said features with TS4 improved graphics is bollocks, same for saying they could not implement a smoother, better coded Open World. And the worst part of it all is that it's certainly not a lack of money/resources on their part. Considering graphics have never been one of the series strengths (just compare TS4 with other AAA titles), it's also absurd to think they could not have implemented a better coded TS3 with TS4 graphics even for the many simmers that don't have "gaming" computers.

If anything, I just want them to be done with TS4 and release TS5 already if only so we can FINALLY be free of this disappointing engine that came out with TS4 and seems to be what really restricted the game features wise. That's, of course, assuming TS5 will have something better...

• simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    SimsBro wrote: »
    You are obviously allowed to enjoy and love Sims 4. It's not because I find the game inferior that I'm going to expect people to not have fun with it.
    Unfortunately if we are to look from an objective perspective it doesn't change the fact The Sims 4 is a massive disappointment when it comes to oh so many things (which still doesn't mean you can't enjoy it or that it didn't do some things right).

The Sims 2 was a really big improvement over 1. So many new things were added, graphics got a massive boost, so many neat details that are to the day missing in 3&4 like a ton of animations for the most specific of things that add up a lot of charm in the ending, the memory cutscenes.

The Sims 3, while missing some of the charm and small details of TS2, came out with amazing and very ambitious additions of its own to the franchise - Open World being obviously the most impressive of them all. The difference it can make atmosphere and storytelling wise is just gargantuous. Nevermind the Color Wheel, beloved by so many, and of course, the fact it is still the Sims game with MOST content out of all the 5, despite the embarassing fact TS4 has been alive for far longer as of today. And here's the catch - it still improved upon a lot of the new things Sims 2 added, instead of outright removing or ignoring them like TS4.

And then we come to The Sims 4. Sure it did add some neat new things like multitasking, better UI/CAS/build mode, a graphics style that a lot of people seem to think is the best. Sadly, graphics are the easiest thing to improve mod wise. On the other hand, you literally cannot expect mods to implement Open World, Create a World, Color Wheel, swimmable bodies of water in all worlds...
    The engine appears to be so mind bogglingly limited that it fails to give us features present in even BASE Sims 2, a game that was already a DECADE old by the time 4 released, for example. It would stand to reason a game sequel should be an improvement in most areas over the predecessor due to improved technology. How in the hell are we still missing Create a World?
    The main problem with The Sims 4 is that it took away SO MUCH of value, while added so very little of worth. And then they keep trying to extend its lifetime, while being chained to this pathetic engine that was probably doomed from birth due to being conceived as a full always online game.
    There is no excuse except for a lack of effort from EA. To say that they couldn't implement said features with TS4 improved graphics is bollocks, same for saying they could not implement a smoother, better coded Open World. And the worst part of it all is that it's certainly not a lack of money/resources on their part. Considering graphics have never been one of the series strengths (just compare TS4 with other AAA titles), it's also absurd to think they could not have implemented a better coded TS3 with TS4 graphics even for the many simmers that don't have "gaming" computers.

If anything, I just want them to be done with TS4 and release TS5 already if only so we can FINALLY be free of this disappointing engine that came out with TS4 and seems to be what really restricted the game features wise. That's, of course, assuming TS5 will have something better...

It's too bad that you felt the need to post such negativity in what is one of the few positive threads about the game on this forum. I was a huge fan of all the sims games, and I don't agree with you that this game represents a "lack of effort" or a game with "very little of worth." Such hyperbolic language undercuts your criticisms (which may I say are not very constructive in any case, but seem just harsh). You don't give any credit to the game's innovations or good points at all, like the flexible CAS tools, build tool improvements, multi-tasking (one of the best features), the calendar and club systems, the best versions of toddlers and vampires, etc, just to name a few.

As for TS5, I am indifferent to it. I certainly hope they don't release it any time soon: the thought of an online game (which it has been implied it will be) has little appeal. I have no intention of rushing out to buy it: when TS2 was released, in our household we waited literally years to buy it, and kept playing happily with TS1. Similarly, when TS3 came out, we waited over a year to buy it, and the same with TS4. Luckily, we have been promised a couple more years of content in TS4, which in my opinion is a bonus.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Folks I appreciate you having a continuation of this discussion but considering how long it's been since this thread was last active I'm going to close this off. If you wish to further discuss this you're welcome to make a new thread but keep it civil.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top