Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Wow, this discussion has been great today. (I've been following along throughout the day but haven't had a chance to chime in until now.
    And thinking about this discussion on character quirks, I'm actually writing them down now for myself in my new trusty Simlit notebook. Since my story is primarily game-driven, it's taken me a while to truly get to know my Sims. Looking at their past behavior and their traits and aspirations, I finally feel like I've good a pretty good grasp on each. I'm hoping that will help with dialogue and their inner thoughts going forward.

I'm the same way. Usually after a Sim's been in the game awhile, I start to think up little quirks for them. But they have to reveal themselves through something in the game. Even if that something is relatively small and has minimal in-game impact (such as the "...discovered X is an alien" dialogues, for example) it can provide the basis for something much bigger, like said alien feeling incredibly self-conscious despite the fact that nobody's actually held being an alien against her.

(And I really need to get a SimLit notebook. I'm at the point now where I have so many households, and they're all split up through the different worlds, that I need something to help me keep track.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    chocis wrote: »
    @Maladi777 @cecerose0208 @CitizenErased14 @Pegasus143 @Simslover163 @illusie @eXokamikaze @Thymeless @RipuAncestor @CathyTea Thank you all very much for taking the time to wish me a happy birthday. It worked out- I had an amazing day with family members I haven't seen in 4 months. We went for a walk in the park, had a nice dinner out and then some juice. It was so kind of you <3 Happy Tuesday, everyone! I don't have any tips,really, but I do have a confession. I used to spend most of the game-play on pause, micro-managing and queuing up task for my sims. I did't trust them at all, lol. To be fair, I was doing legacy challenge with score-sheet (got 99 points). Now I let my sim do her own thing and it's been a great inspiration for my story. After I explained all her actions with drama, that is.

happy birthday. i haven't been around most of today. i had a dentist appointment and more repairs.the last part suprised me because i was sure no one waas coming because it was 1 o clock already.
  • Options
    its q and a monday and i still don't know what headcannons are?
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

Headcanons are something that isn't stated in the source material, but something that you accept as true (usually about a character).

Think of it as a form of "filling in the blanks" when it comes to characterization.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    rednenemon wrote: »

Headcanons are something that isn't stated in the source material, but something that you accept as true (usually about a character).

Think of it as a form of "filling in the blanks" when it comes to characterization.

thank you red.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rednenemon wrote: »

i think i did that with noel every time but this one. i would describe his life as the opposite of lauren but this time i described just how differnt.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    @rednenemon you think Chinese have it bad with Japanese? the Koreans have it alot worse from 1910-1945 Koreans were ruled by Japan in the 1930s they couldn't speak their own language (Korean) they HAD to speak Japanese. They couldn't fly the 1910 Korean flag but had to fly the Japanese one. They weren't suppose to have a plant called Rose of Sharon also known as Hibiscus syriacus. In 1937 they were forced to take Japanese names. Also they were suppose to consider themselves Japanese subjects.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I think of them as the stories you tell yourself in your head about your character and your story (that's the "head" part) and "cannon" means that it's accepted as verifiable truth (as opposed to all the stories I tell myself about Harwood, which are not at all cannon, except in CT land! :D )
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I think of them as the stories you tell yourself in your head about your character and your story (that's the "head" part) and "cannon" means that it's accepted as verifiable truth (as opposed to all the stories I tell myself about Harwood, which are not at all cannon, except in CT land! :D )

i want to visit ct land. it sounds like a fun place.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

It is! We spend a lot of time watching birds, eating ice cream, and playing Beethoven and Bach! :) Or Haydn... but not really Mozart. :/

And, best news yet: the faucets never leak! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options

It is! We spend a lot of time watching birds, eating ice cream, and playing Beethoven and Bach! :) Or Haydn... but not really Mozart. :/

it was a pipe that leaked. and i actually know bethven bach hayden and mozart are composers of classical music.
  • Options

my new popcorn maker is taunting me. i don't want dust in it so its in the box still
  • Options
    i 'm glad i have sunday off my goal is make posts that make sense. its harder to do when your tired.
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Good timezones, everyone! How are you guys? I'm just...wonderful! Beginning to write after two weeks, beginning to screenshot, for a scene full o fpeople...a lot of job! By the way, is the teleported mod not working for someone, too? :D
  • Options
    orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »
    Good timezones, everyone! How are you guys? I'm just...wonderful! Beginning to write after two weeks, beginning to screenshot, for a scene full o fpeople...a lot of job! By the way, is the teleported mod not working for someone, too? :D

Have you gotten the update from here? After the bowling patch, the old one stopped working. Andrew updated it since the original creator left the community.
  • Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »

Have you gotten the update from here? After the bowling patch, the old one stopped working. Andrew updated it since the original creator left the community.

Oh! Really? I didn't know that! Thanks!
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

What has been read cannot be unread. =/ What a terrible fate to suffer...
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Good time zones, everyone.

Since today is Game Tip Tuesday, I was wondering if anyone had any tips about effective ways for my Sims to earn money other than becoming an author. I'm really trying to increase the variety between my different houses and it really doesn't make sense for every house to be surviving off of publishing royalties.

So, what's your favorite method of increasing your Sims' financial status other than publishing books?
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    So, what's your favorite method of increasing your Sims' financial status other than publishing books?

Marrying rich. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited April 2017
    @purplestarz2006 Gardening, definitely. You don't get much at first, but get a few plants up to perfect and watch the cash roll in =p Especially some of the grafted plants! It's actually my favourite way to earn money without a job in game!
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
  • Options
    @Thymeless: thank god dragonfruit is just as expensive in the game as it is in real life.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    Good time zones, everyone.

Since today is Game Tip Tuesday, I was wondering if anyone had any tips about effective ways for my Sims to earn money other than becoming an author. I'm really trying to increase the variety between my different houses and it really doesn't make sense for every house to be surviving off of publishing royalties.

Gardening is hands down the best way! None of my Sims currently work--they all help with gardening, though! They're richer now than they were in their main legacy days :)

Splicing to make new plants is helpful. Those often are worth more.
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @Thymeless: thank god dragonfruit is just as expensive in the game as it is in real life.

Srsly--great to sell in game. The Skinners are loaded!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top