Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Different interpretations of Eco Living (POLL)

MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
So I've noticed there is a divide on the forums about what "Eco Living" means for people. So far I've noticed 3 different groups.

- Domestic and Laundry
- Natural and Outdoors
- Super high-tech
I've been curious to see which is most popular so I created a straw poll here where you can vote for your favourite theme:
https://strawpoll.com/5b376g4

Comments

• LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I'm more Super High tech/Natural and Outdoors . .I like a bit of both.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Domestic and Laundry
    giphy_1.gif
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    For me I interpret it as all three.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited April 2017
    I wish they would take the first 2 on your list and make 2 separate game packs. The first could be a domestic chores game pack that would include laundry, and the second a living off the land game pack that could include rustic living with chickens, etc.

Edited to add that I voted for Nature and Outdoors.
    Post edited by ClassicalSim on
  • SimmerOfEnglandSimmerOfEngland Posts: 194 Member
    High tech and nature :)
    ⭐ Say what you think, love who you love 'cause you just get so many trips around the sun ⭐

Simmer since 2009
    S4 content owned - GTW, GT, CL, OR, DO, SD, P, V, KR, SS, BS, FS, BN, RG, MH, LP, PP, LP, CK, VG,
    Sims lost:7
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Nature and living off the land
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I voted for natural and outdoors although I'm open for combining the mentioned themes.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    edited April 2017
    - Natural and Outdoors
    - Super high-tech

Why are they separate?
    Whats wrong with natural, super high tech outdoors stuff?
    Or high tech outdoors supernatural? :p

Until recently, eco friendly has really only been DIY, but in the last 20 years, more people are demanding eco friendly options, so now there are a lot of small companies making high tech looking versions of the old diy projects.

This is natural (it uses the power of the wind)
    Super high tech (if you know how it works)
    Outdoors (well, it wouldn't work too well inside, and where the heck is a building big enough for it?)
    StarfishHillS.jpg

And then there's this:
    how-aquaponics-works.png
    Plants and fish are natural.
    The system is... well to be honest, it's pretty basic tech, it just looks high tech.
    And it brings the outdoors inside.

And for those who want laundry in the eco friendly pack, THIS is what you should be asking for!
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg

EDIT:
    I don't like your poll, I need to vote for BOTH natural/outdoors AND high tech
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • RobynTylerRobynTyler Posts: 38 Member
    For me I'd always vote nature and outdoorsy, (which is weird cos I love all things high tech!) But when it comes to Sims, I think there is more scope for creativity with it. There's only so much you can do with laundry or even tech stuff, but the possibilities are pretty extensive with nature and outdoors stuff. Personally I want new exciting build objects, so I'll go with what ever gives me that! But everyone has their own opinions..
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited April 2017
    The first time I read the survey, I thought eco-living means high tech stuff and that's why I voted for that (I totally didn't see the laundry part written in the points). Then, I came to the forums and saw a lot of you guys mentioning laundry... and I was like, "Oooppssss...??"
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    I was all for the super high tech stuff at first but I'm starting to like the outdoors and living off the grid idea more. I voted for it in this poll and probably will do so in the official one. Many of my sims are nature lovers so I think that would fit my playstyle even more.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I voted for domestic and laundry, because that was my first impression when voting for the theme and I would really like to have my Sims doing their laundry. However, I could see Eco Living being focused around a nature and outdoors theme. Honestly, I think the latter would fit better.
  • iTamcakesiTamcakes Posts: 57 Member
    Using high tech stuff to support/serve the environment. But also combined with a green/nature feel.

I voted for high tech, but I also do like the living of the grid idea.
    Es7pflm.png
  • SimangoSimango Posts: 427 Member
    I'd say it's a bit of both natural and high-tech but I went with natural since it seems slightly more appropriate.

I don't think of domestic chores when I think about eco-living. Except maybe for companies trying to make their domestic appliances more green friendly. (but that's not really unique to them, most sectors do that)
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited April 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg

This is absolutely perfect, I need this in my real life!!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • KAZEINWONDERLANDKAZEINWONDERLAND Posts: 19 New Member
    Most people here seem to have an entirely different idea of Eco living than I have. For me off the grid self sufficient living does not equal Eco living. Just as a laundry focused pack not being Eco living either. Off the grid can contain Eco friendly options but also many things that are less or not Eco friendly at all. Off the grid self sufficient is a complex lifestyle of its own, big enough to fill a game pack. Off the grid should be a separate pack from this one. If this one ends up mainly about living off the grid, then it shouldn't be called Eco living anymore because it's not the same.

Eco living. It's just a stuff pack and yet it could have had so much potential to raise awareness of contemporary enviromental problems and how to deal with them in a realistic way. I already buried my hopes for this to become an Eco living pack. Instead I predict that this pack will either become a hippie-hermits-rejecting-all-technology-electricity-society like a DLC for Granite Falls, a farming-and-country-life or laundry focused pack. Which are great but just not really Eco living.

The whole point of Eco living is to prevent enviromental disaster, preserve the earth and add Eco friendly and(!) practical/realistic alternatives to our contemporary lifestyles, isn't it? :neutral:

At least that's what I was taught in high school. When I read Eco living, I was hoping for how-to-make-Eco-living-possible-for-everyone-in-an-overpopulated-and-globally-connected-world-without-giving-up-our-comfortable-lives. (Also this could have put Sims in a very positive spotlight and get much attention in the media and social networks like the Gender patch did.) An Eco living stuff pack could go so well with San Myshuno, don't you think? :) I would love to make San Myshuno more Eco friendly, even if it's just recycling.
    It's just not possible for everyone to live off the grid and off the land. Imagining every citizen of the U.S. will start to live off the grid and self sufficient, giving up their conventional jobs tomorrow in an attempt to be Eco friendly. Now that's just impossible and I don't even want to think about what this would mean to the enviroment, society, economy, infrastructure, hospitals,... Only a few could afford and endure(!) such a off the grid lifestyle and they don't make any difference to the environment if everybody else in huge cities don't get Eco friendly alternatives matching their lifestyles.

Now I just hope this pack will be at least a laundry based one so that I can put functional washing machines in my game. Otherwise I'll probably skip this one if the art style doesn't fit my gameplay.
    I still think farming and country life or off the grid/self sufficient could be an amazing game or expansion pack but not stuff pack. Well, Eco living could also have been a great game pack combining contemporary modern and self sufficient styles because it's such a broad topic. And this stuff pack just laundry focused having even better laundry gameplay than Sims 3. :)

I like laundry but I rather have an Eco friendly living stuff pack. Don't want a stuff pack too similar to outdoor retreat either. But this pack's content will depend on the votes of the sims players. Many want laundry. So laundry or off the grid it is. Still wishing for Eco living tho. Oh well.
  • TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    d. All of the above.

I don't normally think of laundry in connection with Eco-living, but I can't pretend it didn't influence my vote, when it was mentioned under that theme in the survey. There is Eco-friendly laundry options for sure, they just aren't what I normally think of when discussing Eco-living. Maybe because energy saving appliances are standard where I live (and dryers are considered a guilt-inducing luxury, that are sparingly used).

I can see a few windmills through my window right now, which I do think of as Eco-living, yet I don't want them in my sims game at all (if we had neighbourhood decorations, then sure. But I don't want giant windmills on my lots... next to the giant telescopes).

My vote will be based on what I actually want to see in my game, no matter what they name a theme or a pack.

- I know that laundry, if implemented well, can be a great feature added to my game (it was in TS3). This would be a pack, I would most likely buy.

- I know that living of the land is likely to add more to a natural look, which I do love to use in this game. I can easily see myself buying this pack.

- With regards to high tech? This is the direction I have most doubts about at this point. It could be a pack I really want, but it could also be a pack I'd have no interest in. But in general, this is the area I feel the least need for in my game, as I feel it is an area the game will add plenty to anyway. And not always in a way I like (talking toilets?).

All in all, I buy stuff packs for the stuff in them. And I am most interested in packs that I will use on almost all my lots. This I can see happening with a laundry pack, a nature pack will probably be mostly useless for apartment lots, while a high tech pack seems the least useful depending on what items we actually would end up with (but solar panels and windmills are not something I would add to many of my lots, due to lack of space).

Finally, I haven't had time to keep up with this forum this last week, so all my opinions are likely to change depending on the great ideas people have posted. So to me, what I consider Eco-living isn't really that important. How fun the little added gameplay is and how versatile the items are, is way more important to me.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    in my case its domestic and laundry
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • WingardimLeviosaWingardimLeviosa Posts: 204 Member
    Nature and outdoors. Laundry is NOT economy friendly. It's a huge waste of water and other resources which is totally against the grain of eco living to me. I want more garden thing, more self sustainable options.
    C0gfE.gif
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I think more a combination of nature friendly and high-tech items. Kind of like, an expanded version of the TS3's Toyota Prius Eco Pack with things like solar panels, wind turbines, planters, etc...
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited April 2017
    To me it's just alternatives. I think it's simplicity. They tell me eco living and I think of a simple house surrounded by nature. I think it would be cool to have a greenhouse and sprinklers!!!

I like the idea of laundry, but it's not for this SP, it wouldn't make any sense.

Also shower wohoo... you know sharing a shower and saving water lol
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I have to go with natural and outdoors on this one. Though I love high-tech, I'd rather have a SP dedicated to specifically modern stuff (like https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/915903/minimalistic-futuristic-living-sp-picture-heavy#latest ) than have it as a side-note to laundry and eco. I'd love if the Eco SP is kind of Bohemian and adds lots of warm objects with glass, wood and maybe clay :)
  • Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    Eco Living for me was always about living from the land, choosing the resources in a not wasteful way, recycling etc. Laundry I just cannot see as Eco living, unless it's a device like they use before electricity came out. Living in California opened my eyes that in times of need the laundry can be seen as a HUGE waste of resources like water. Even taking a bath with a filled bathtub can be wasteful if done more than once a week. So no I definitely do not see laundry and machines like this as Eco living. What comes in mind are Solar Panels, Wind mills, water filter to clean "rain water" ;) etc. Chicken farm, Bee farm, more gardening opportunities. So yes I voted for Natural and Outdoors.
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Domestic and Laundry and Super high-tech. I really want laundry but I want the style to be modern.