Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @friendsfan367 @DeiraShadeweaver I also know something student something-something and something-something my spanish.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited March 2017
    Loving all the talk about language! :smiley:

@IntrovertSara Soy profesora de español :smiley: Pero mis estudiantes están en un nivel muy bajo :( Y por esto, he perdido mucho de mi español :bawling:

the only word I could catch was "spanish" in Spansih" but I think one of the other words is "professor" and "studies" or "students"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @friendsfan367 @DeiraShadeweaver and @AkramA (I used a non-Google translator) she's a teacher of Spanish but a lot of her students are at a very LOW level of Spanish and she lost much of her Spanish.

I was only able to make out the word "professor" and studies/students and the word Spanish in spanish
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

5.13 chapter
    170328-xEt7Da0twey0.jpg

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member

@IntrovertSara Soy profesora de español :smiley: Pero mis estudiantes están en un nivel muy bajo :( Y por esto, he perdido mucho de mi español :bawling:

what did you say?
    I know! She said:
    I am a Spanish teacher but my students are at a very low level and therefore I have forgotten a lot of my Spanish.
  • Options
    chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    @ny275

Those of you who write their stories in a language that isn't their first, what made you decide to do that? Do you feel extra pressure when posting and worry that people won't read your story because of your skill?

It's a little late, but I really like this question, so I'm going to answer. I agree with @RipuAncestor here, I see writing in English as a great exercise. I've always enjoyed doing it at school. The other reason is that I actually prefer, and thus I'm more used to, reading ( and watching TV/films/plays) in English. I highly value work of good translators, but some nuances are inevitably lost in the process. My phone redirected me to Polish SimForum once, I browsed it for a while only to discover that SimLit in my native language seems strange to my brain.

Obviously, I still read things in Polish-news and documents for work ;) It is very possible that my story suffers from my language choice- I went back to a blog I had to set up for my uni class some time ago and, surprisingly, I really liked my little story there. It was serialized social commentary under the very obvious cover of fiction. There are many mistakes in it, but I think it is better written than my SimLit story. That makes me sad, of course, as writers are supposed to get better with time. I do feel confident about my English level and I believe I'm able to get across my thoughts and intentions, but it gave me a huge writer's block anyway.

I feel pressure because I despise making grammar mistakes. What helps is coming to terms with not being flawless and taking this as a learning experience. About the readers... well, I know they can understand, but I've already said that the quality may be a at risk because of my limited vocabulary and linguistic ineptitude, so it would seem that I do worry. Then again, it may just be an excuse.

By the way- learning languages, be it foreign or my own, has always come easily to me, so it's really not much of a success that I'm fluent. Yep, I know I've just written an essay here. Thank you for acknowledging our non-native efforts!

English is much simpler than Polish. Let's just say there are seven cases for nouns and adjectives, and then verbs have to agree with genders. I know French-speakers have to deal with it as well.

There are fanpages dedicated to making fun of people who translate sentences word by word- especially if they tattoo the wonderful results all over their bodies.
    From the top I thank for attention
  • Options
    chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    @CitizenErased14 Yay, I understood what you said :D I actually thought you were an English teacher, but Spanish is so cool. I understand some of it due to knowing French, but I've wanted to start a proper course so I can SPEAK it. There are some DVDs and exercise books staring at me right now...
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I read through pages of missed convos because I was fascinated by all the Meatball talk. Then fascinated by all the language talk. I love the Writer's Lounge!

I've learned Spanish and French in a classroom setting, but I'm only good at understanding about half of what is spoken to me. That seems to be sufficient for when my coworkers converse in Spanish around me. And when I went to Paris over new year's, I was able to understand most of what was said around/to me. I unfortunately only had the option to respond in English. I'd love to be fluent in multiple languages, but for now I'll just appreciate the bit I was able to hold on to from when I was younger.

Also, I have a new story up in my neighborhood rotation. Laurel explains why she thinks vampires exist, and tries to get the club to help her do something about it.
    02-18-17_3-38-51c2a0pm.png

• Options
    maddswallmaddswall Posts: 15 New Member
    AkramA wrote: »
    The hardest thing is pronounciation as English pronunciation don't have any rule whatsoever unlike other language and it's hard when your teacher is talking about something and you're supposed to guess how it's supposed to be written. It's like every word is a symbol that even though you think has a rule on how to read it but you're totally wrong and you need to learn every single pronunciation of a word. Not counting that there's also different accent which confuseds me very much at first.
    Yes! I was having this conversation with a Spanish speaker, and we were saying how Spanish pronunciation is much easier because a, e, i, o, u only have one sound, but in English they don't even always sound the same if they're surrounded by the same letters! Read and read are two different pronunciations, and good and food don't rhyme! It's nonsense to me :p

AkramA wrote: »
    What I like about learning language was that you open your world to understand more people. It's weird how even though we're the same species there is sill had a language barrier that hold us from communicating to each other. I know a lot of people including my dad that didn't know english as well as I do which made me able to understand

Agreed 100%. I think it's so interesting, too, how language can give you an insight in cultures and cultures can give you insight into language!

So cool to see all the different languages spoken here!

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i read that rory did a early review of bowling night. i haven't found it. but i miss her her.
  • Options
    maddswallmaddswall Posts: 15 New Member
    Onto the topic of today, I have a bit of a game tip! So the other day I was trying to get my sim into an empty house to take pictures, but I couldn't find any solutions to get him in there without moving in my sim or moving in another sim so he could visit the lot; even Google was no help. Instead, I had him go to the lot then entered build mode, deleted a section of wall, and voila! He could enter. I had to use tab mode to actually go in the house and be able see all the furniture and everything, but it worked for my purposes! This probably isn't a situation people encounter that often and this might already be a known solution, but there ya go!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    https://friendsfan36.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/dear-noel

now this iwrote the way i meant it. i was distracted before.
    Post edited by friendsfan367 on
  • Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    Finally a new episode.
    32849403634_9fc2c34179_z.jpg

1.7 - It Tickles When It's Fried

Yue freak out over Kepla's alien abilities causes confusion for the roommates.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    Woo! Just finished homework for my classes and now I get two days of freedom until the next ones start. My last day at the call center job is Thursday, my birthday is Friday and I start my new job until the 10th! Woohoo!
  • Options
    i'm back. the power was out again. i think the matnience people are working on something because i heard a click when it came back and it only goes out on wekdays. hopefully it stays on tomorrow beverly and alvin need a new hobby. jumping on to of each other is not a hobby.
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    i'm back. the power was out again. i think the matnience people are working on something because i heard a click when it came back and it only goes out on wekdays. hopefully it stays on tomorrow beverly and alvin need a new hobby. jumping on to of each other is not a hobby.

Oh wow, glad you got power back!
  • Options
    beverly called called about ladies night. just one problem she called rylan not alana.
  • Options
    OJenn wrote: »

Oh wow, glad you got power back!

jenn me too. i get nowarning before it goes off at least today all i had on was the tv in the bedroom the computer and my wifi stereo . but it took a few minutes to get it working when . i got back.hopefully i have power all day tomorrow. not only do i shop but some of my sims think jumping on each otheer is a hobby. i make rylan analana use birth control but they aren't the problem.
  • Options
    IntrovertSaraIntrovertSara Posts: 49 Member

@CitizenErased14 No está tan mal :smiley: Al menos el post está muy bien escrito. I think it's awesome you're a language teacher! Practice is everything, so if you want to practice, I'm here :smile:
  • Options
    be careful if you use the ui cheat mod. i accidently dragged alanas hunger bar the wrong way and she died i had to go back a save because rylan actually did cry. i felt so bad for him.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    i read that rory did a early review of bowling night. i haven't found it. but i miss her her.

I miss her, too .
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    Awww I always tend to miss Q and A monday because it's my busiest day of the week lol.
  • Options
    Awww I always tend to miss Q and A monday because it's my busiest day of the week lol.

technically its my thread. sis just has more computer skills. so don't be afraid to ask the schedule is more of a guide.
  • Options
    yeah irylan stopped crying. i went back to the last save alana was alive. and put them in my library.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top