Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Once upon a time..." - When you played The Sims 3 for the first time

Comments

• Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Bristolkat wrote: »
    I preordered the game through Amazon, I remember being a bit annoyed because The game arrived 2 days late ! so I had to sit and watch everyone else posting about it. when it finally did arrive I jumped right in and choose to play Agnes Crumblebottom, After seeing the unfinished nursery and the dead husband I Really felt bad for her.

the first thing I did after the tutorial was take her all around town. Checking out all the venues and watching the other sims hang out and reacting to one another. After that I brought her home, she was feeling a bit peckish so I decided to let her cook something. that turned out to be a big mistake ! She managed to catch herself on fire and burned to death.

I was shocked and sad, yet still kind of proud that a I managed to kill the first sim I ever played within an hour of playtime ! Once grimmy came and went, I decided it was best to just call it a night.

At least she got to be with her husband!
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Wow, OP, that was quite a heavy baptism of fire you had with the game. I remember a vampire dying like that in my game unexpectedly and it almost gave me a heart attack. And this was years after I had started playing the game.

The first time I saw that, I was playing Frozen and it was Elsa's vampire boyfriend! It was also the first time I saw a sim die in ts3.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I bought the base game in december 2014 as an early christmas present for myself :p . I created a female sim and named her Holly Winters, because of well, the season. She lived in Sunset Valley in "The Monotone" and I kind of learned how to play sims 3 with her. Somehow I created her as an "easy" sim - she´s brave, handy, a bookworm, a vegetarian and has a green thumb, so she progressed swiftly through the science career and could put out fires by herself. I found it awesome, that she could run everywhere on the whole map. She married Leighton Sekemoto, moved in a new house and had two kids with him. I also moved Sam and Yumi in, because their house was so awful.

I played this family for a long time, adding one expansion pack after another and finally moved them to a new computer, because my laptop nearly choked on seasons. Yes, I bought a new pc just for sims. Um.

I still have Holly and her family and play them from time to time.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    I bought the base game in december 2014 as an early christmas present for myself :p . I created a female sim and named her Holly Winters, because of well, the season. She lived in Sunset Valley in "The Monotone" and I kind of learned how to play sims 3 with her. Somehow I created her as an "easy" sim - she´s brave, handy, a bookworm, a vegetarian and has a green thumb, so she progressed swiftly through the science career and could put out fires by herself. I found it awesome, that she could run everywhere on the whole map. She married Leighton Sekemoto, moved in a new house and had two kids with him. I also moved Sam and Yumi in, because their house was so awful.

I played this family for a long time, adding one expansion pack after another and finally moved them to a new computer, because my laptop nearly choked on seasons. Yes, I bought a new pc just for sims. Um.

I still have Holly and her family and play them from time to time.

Wow, I've never had a family that long! 2 years ago, I didn't even know there were any Sims games other than The Sims Freeplay!
  • Options
    TheDarkRoseTheDarkRose Posts: 230 Member
    I only remember two things. One of my sims had a baby with Agnes Crumplebottom and when i got pets a few days later, I had a teen riding a horse on her own lot and she got arrested for being out after curfew. I still don't know what was up with that and it's been something like five years.
  • Options
    MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    ...Oh geez....

I think it was back in 2011/early 2012, ended up getting the game on a whim and shortly after bought everything that was available.

Most found memories of my first ever Sim I made:

1. I thought the game was in Russian or another language when I heard my Sim talk. It took a while to realize Simlish was a thing.
    2. My Sim was burgled fairly early in my game and had her shower stolen. I walked around town and went to work surrounded by a deathly green stench cloud. I didn't know you could shower at the gym or elsewhere and finally managed to earn enough to replace it and get a home alarm! xD
    3. My sim settled down with Christopher Steel. After marriage they moved into a new house and their dishwasher broke twice. Had Christopher fix it, only to get electrocuted on the second time and had my first encounter with Grim, lol. Needless to say I quit the game and lost a couple hours of time, and learned from then on to save frequently!
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • Options
    AlexPazAlexPaz Posts: 143 Member
    My first I'm playing the game I didn't even know you could play the sims you created in cas :D it was my brothers game on my other brothers computer since my dads ancient one couldn't run it and I think he just didn't want me playing his game with my sims :D .the first premades I played with were the wolffs and I loved every minute of torturing Thornton by adding more and more babies :D
    Ohh yea, you gotta get schwifty
    33y1gk1.jpg
  • Options
    Sapphire268Sapphire268 Posts: 66 Member
    The first time I played was two years after the game came out and I bought it along with Katy Perry's Sweet Treats stuff pack. I made two extremely colourful sims, one being an in name only version of myself (and even then I made the last name Cupcake), and I made three girl children.

The house was a glittery mess that looked like a unicorn threw up and was designed from there. My sim didn't do anything but I sent the husband to work, but motherloded most of it. The husband was repairing a dishwasher but got singed, and I made him keep going. Unsurprisingly, he died. The household was stricken with grief despite it's interior.

I didn't get very far on it, but my first save definitely decided on some trends I still stick to playing it now. Unfortunately, I lost the save. I would've loved to redesign everything to have it less bold and make it more normal.
  • Options
    sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    I bought the Sims 3 in January 2015 after playing the Sims 2 for a while. It was a starter pack with Late Night. I created a YA girl sim named Branwen and moved her into Bridgeport.

While creating Branwen I was absolutely disgusted with how the sims were designed. I thought they looked like...I don't know...ugly pudding. So playing the Sims 3 was like a bit of a let down for me and I immediately browsed the internet about how ''The Sims 2 is better than the Sims 3'' and how others have also complained that TS3 Sims look weird.

But shortly afterwards I came to adore TS3!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    hepburnfan wrote: »
    I bought the Sims 3 in January 2015 after playing the Sims 2 for a while. It was a starter pack with Late Night. I created a YA girl sim named Branwen and moved her into Bridgeport.

While creating Branwen I was absolutely disgusted with how the sims were designed. I thought they looked like...I don't know...ugly pudding. So playing the Sims 3 was like a bit of a let down for me and I immediately browsed the internet about how ''The Sims 2 is better than the Sims 3'' and how others have also complained that TS3 Sims look weird.

But shortly afterwards I came to adore TS3!
    There seriously are many ways to make the sims not look weird, with and without cc. And with Mastercontroller within reach nothing is easier than tweaking dull townies and NPC's if necessary (they look rather dull to me than ugly).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I got TS3 the day it was launched. I was so excited. I loved TS2 and now there was TS3 - I couldn't wait to get it installed and start playing it. Turns out, I hated it. I was bored out of my mind and went back to TS2 :lol: It took me about 2 years to finally come to love TS3. Once Supernatural was released, I was hooked.

I'm starting to get back into it recently. Which is why you might see me hanging out in the TS3 section when I haven't previously :)
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,072 Member
    It took me several years to get into the Sims 3 after it was released. The base game didn't have much content so I actually waited until it had a number of expansion packs. I think I ended up buying it around the time the Supernatural expansion was released or maybe just before that.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I thought I had posted in this thread but I guess it was a similar one. Sounds like @Goulsquash and I had similar a similar experience.

I got TS3 on release, Collectors Edition, I was so excited! I loved TS2 but quit playing it for a few reasons one of which is that it seemed to be corrupted graphically. I wasn't ready to admit that my graphics card was toasted so I blamed the game and hoped I was right.
    I was not right, I was very wrong.
    sims3glitching1.jpg
    When the game loaded of course it was all on lowest graphics and we all know what a delight those are to the eyes. I drew a disappointed frown at the jagged, shark-bite like edges on everything, I was used to such smoothness in 2, what the heck was this mess?
    I spied Agnes Crumplebottom's house and thought I'd give that a look.
    Nope.
    AgnesHouseglitches.jpg
    Too much stuff on that lot.

I knew my card was history and I ordered a new one. In the meanwhile I played anyway. Sometimes it acted up, sometimes it didn't do too badly.
    glitchysprayer.jpg
    Sometimes the graphical effups were a bit entertaining.

Usually not, though. The new card came and I fell absolutely in love with the graphics. They weren't as good as what I have now but they were still pretty good. Glad I stuck with it and chose to invest in the game, it's so worth it.
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I have been playing the sims since the sims 1 was first released. Each series offers something exciting and new. I got the sims 1 for my birthday. I was blown away with the little families and the ability to build their houses for them. Then the sims 2 came out and it was too wonderful for words. They now aged and had seasons and pets. I played for hours and never got bored. Then the sims 3 came out and it offered a big open world and now our sims could be fat or thin. Seasons and pets were even more fantastic than the sims 2. I thought it was the best game I had ever played. Then the sims 4 came out and to me it was a big let down. I looked so forward to it coming out and then when I saw it I was really heart broken. That is why I still play the sims 3.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    I got TS3 as the base game for one of my birthdays, when my friend got that and the IP bundle. The first sim I made was me as an adult, and when I was trying to convince myself I wasnt queer (fun fact: I am) my 'dream guy'.
    They had 5 children and burnt down the house.

The next time, I was more advanced when I got my first EP, Supernatural. I made a dad, a mom, and their twins. I turned the mom and daughter into fire ghosts and sent them back to the netherlands or what its called... and then I had the dad raise his son.
    Once his son was a child, mind you I played on epic, I decided that he should have a new partner. Someone to help him make money (even though he owned that sick house with the sand thing in the middle and a pool, and I didn't even know about cheats then!) so I made a woman and her toddler daughter. (I still have that sim and the file on a flashdrive! I loved her.) I played with them for a long time to get their life in check. When I got back to the dad and his son, he was dating Molly French and Agnes Crumplebottom was his ex-girlfriend. Oops... I took things slow, and so the girl and my sim moved together and I decided to try my hand at building once the woohoo option lied to me.. I built a four bedroom beach house and discovered my love of building. They had a girl and lived happily ever after... the son ended up marrying Blaire Wainrights and Cylcone Swords daughter, the first daughter married Justine Keatons boy and had two kids, Rick and Morty (perfect naming system strikes again!!) and the second daughter only managed to become a teenager before the parents passed away... on the same night :'(

I might recreate them on my new computer.
  • Options
    KatNip wrote: »
    I turned the mom and daughter into fire ghosts and sent them back to the netherlands or what its called...

the first daughter married Justine Keatons boy and had two kids, Rick and Morty (perfect naming system strikes again!!)

The Netherlands?! That's a country!
    How on Earth did the naming system do that?!
    I miss the days when story progression actually worked. Now I need nraas.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    My very fist day of playing TS3, I remember it well.

I made a green Sim- New- with a Cow patterened hat- new CASt! She was a vegetarian, childish, flirty, and artistic~Had to try out the different traits...
    She chased butterflies, shared hotdogs with the Goths at the Park; she played in the mirror- on her own- and then went back to her 'house' (stuff on the lawn) to throw up. Vegetarians aren't supposed to eat real hotdogs. XD
    She took a bubble bath and played with the rubber ducky while I watched the sunset. . . it was a very pretty sunset. :blush:

I wasn't ready to move on to TS3 at the time so I didn't play for too long. :lol:
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I turned the mom and daughter into fire ghosts and sent them back to the netherlands or what its called...

the first daughter married Justine Keatons boy and had two kids, Rick and Morty (perfect naming system strikes again!!)

Oops!!! I think I'm messing up the names! It was the nether something. Or am I thinking of minecraft... I haven't played either for 2 months.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Lol, yeah, just send all your ghosts over here, we'll welcome them with stroopwafels and kroketten :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    My first time was together with my sister. We created a man and a woman I think. There weren't any packs released so it was in the early stages of the game. We moved them to a lot near the beach in the one and only world there was ;) we build a house and it was all leopard, tiger and zebra prints, seriously all over. And as we both loved rock bands and music the first skill our Sims learned was playing that guitar. It was awesome.
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    My first time was together with my sister. We created a man and a woman I think. There weren't any packs released so it was in the early stages of the game. We moved them to a lot near the beach in the one and only world there was ;) we build a house and it was all leopard, tiger and zebra prints, seriously all over. And as we both loved rock bands and music the first skill our Sims learned was playing that guitar. It was awesome.
    Actually Riverview was there from the very beginning ;) But it took me some time to figure that out as well.

(I really like reading those different stories about the same event by the way, all the experiences)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    stapeliadstapeliad Posts: 117 Member
    I fired up TS3 yesterday for the first time in ..... probably almost a year. I was thinking about this exact same thing...first time I launched it. I pre-ordered it and was SO EXCITED... it was a lot to take in graphically and absorb the difference from TS2. I started in Sunset Valley in a big glass house by the beach and I fell in love with the sunsets. There was a bug in the game where sleeping took FOREVER...seriously, sleep until rested took 15 mins...but it was fixed pretty quickly.

And my sim peed in the shower.

It's such an enormous game and I leave it for long periods of time, then I always come back eventually.
    It was fun waiting for new content.

I don't have TS4 and have no interest in it.
    There is always something different to explore in TS3.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Got it at release and though the open world somewhat wowed me I was disappointed in what they had done with the babies & toddlers. After some eps especially the pets (horses) and seasons ( love the snowy days and still jump at the thunder) then I was able to enjoy my game more. However I still returned to 2 as I just can't let go. In fact I have all 4 installed. Retirement in 40 weeks so I may just spent my first couple of weeks simming round the clock.

Ha ha
    And my sim peed in the shower.
    I so remember this too.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    I made a whole family - husband, wife, and three sons (I set their relationships before plonking them into town). I named them all after anime characters, and chose their traits accordingly. For a first-time player, it was such a hassle having so many Sims to manage. I was also disappointed when I started the game and saw that the relationship between the husband and his wife was only at zero.
  • Options
    ProximProxim Posts: 189 Member
    edited January 2017
    I created a new family - musician and his wife. My old PC had a hard time running the game (I'm not even sure if it met the requirements), I managed to get only through few sim days in a whole evening because of the lags. I also had to stop the game anytime I moved my camera on a different lot and wait for the objects to render. But I was still absolutely amazed.
    And so the TS3 finally got me to buy myself a new computer.