Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

I love to see the genetics at play in this game. Although fairly limited, in that whole features are inherited rather than blended features, lovely blends are still possible. In my current save I started with Spike (blonde) and Jason (black hair). Although I end up with clones from time to time, I have been lucky in this save and both their kids share features from both dads. They were both born with Spike's blonde hair which I felt was unrealistic so I changed it. Although I don't change the looks of kids born in my saves, I feel changing hair colour is not cheating since the game often assigns arbitrary hair colours in any case (that horrid green/brown is the worst!).
2dnlg7.jpg
Their first born, Knox:
2ypazgg.jpg
Their daughter, Briar:
20zsm5g.jpg

I would love to see how the genetics in other peoples' saves play out. Please feel free to share pics of your sim parents and kids :D

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited December 2016
    @coco Thanks so much for sharing :) You wouldn't be the first simmer to not notice that the paper girl and other service sims are zero slider sims. Julie's nose really did carry on! There is a male sim I often put in my towns but don't play and have noticed his nose can go on for many generations. I enjoyed seeing your family :)
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • nazaruthnazaruth Posts: 142 Member
    Briar's jawline is sharp! I'm sure she'll grow into it though. Fancy seeing a topic of yours on the front page Mikezumi :)
  • kelly324kelly324 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but i'm new to the fourm and I don't know how to start a discussion?
  • CharityHopeCharityHope Posts: 570 Member
    kelly324 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but i'm new to the fourm and I don't know how to start a discussion?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know/p1
    Check this thread.

@nazaruth She gets her sharp features from her dad, Spike. She is YA, so I doubt she will grow into it anymore ;)
    I see this is your first post on the new forum ... welcome :)

@kelly324 Welcome to the forum :) I see that CharityHope has pointed you in the right direction :)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @Mikezumi I don't know if you'd remember me or not, but years back I had Ian Somerhalder of yours in my game. You let me download him and I played him so much, he certainly made his way around my different saves! :)

I love seeing your new sims. Jason and Spike are very unique looking sims and Knox is just a cutie pie! I actually like Briar's strong features. I'm envious. My sim making abilities are non-existent.
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited December 2016
    @ChelleJo I do vaguely remember you :) It's been so long since I regularly visited the forum and I have only just started playing again after a 2 year break. I am so glad you have enjoyed playing Ian. He was one of the first sims I played after starting up again :D
    Thanks for the lovely comments :) I haven't tried custom sliders yet, but I am finding that the EA ones can be worked pretty well with patience.

Edit to add: Just found a pic of Ian in my recent save
    x5th6c.jpg
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    Those are some great looking sims! Knox is so handsome!
    I have some really great sims in my saves.
    In my "McIrish Clan" save, the eldest Liam is rather dashing, he's the son of River by Cycl0ne Sw0rd, and I changed nothing on him but his hair cut & beard, he came out naturally gorgeous, I wish I could post pics!

I don't think changing hair color is cheating either, people dye their hair all the time IRL. Although the game puts the "non-birth color" into genetics, which is unrealistic; the game code does have it's limitations.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
    @ShojoDagger It won't be long before you can post pics and I look forward to seeing them :) I think I may have seen the children of River in my earlier games (I rarely have premades in my game these days), I can't recall seeing any of Cycl0ne's. Neither of these sims looks that good from memory but their genetics could very well merge nicely. Good looking sims do not guarantee good looking kids and vice versa.
    Thanks for the lovely comments ... I am especially happy with how Knox turned out :)
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Here's a couple pictures of the sims family I'm playing. Mom (Luna) - Dad (Patrick) Kids Avalynn, Elvis, Lucy, and the twins Isabelle & Gabrielle.
    Screenshot-52_zps2tlddgqu.jpg
    Avalynn holding baby sister Lucy
    Screenshot-18_zpshxuwpgxo.jpg
    Elvis
    Screenshot-46_zpsrosrxlq3.jpg
    Lucy
    Screenshot-27_zpsnovr4fr6.jpg
    Isabelle & Gabrielle are the twins
    Screenshot-53_zpsnas9cmex.jpg

Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
    Same here! It's the best part of the sims 3!! It's fun to take Sims of different ethnicities and see what their children look like :)
    edited December 2016
    @auroraael14 Your family are delightful! :D They're a bit young yet for me to get a good look at how the parents' genetics come into play, but I am sure they will grow up well :) Thanks for sharing :)

@victoriae350 I don't see sims in terms of ethnicity as, to me, they are all just sims, but I know what you mean. I have made sims based on people including a Korean actor I liked the look of and it was fun to see how his kids turned out in my town. I am sure I will see how your babies will grow up in the chat thread when they have grown :)
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
    @Mikezumi Omigosh, i've done that too! :D That's true too though! Genetics are just too cool in this game!
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Mom Eva
    Screenshot-1235_zpsul4idzqj.jpg

Dad Davon
    Screenshot-1252_zpstzbc7ard.jpg

And their oldest, they also have a toddler son. Sadly I'm having a brain fart, and I can't think of her name.
    Screenshot-1253_zpsjvmqfnjx.jpg

And then here are two of the five kids Davon's brother AJ has with his wife. Do they look similar to their cousin?
    Screenshot-1301_zpsmwpzaats.jpg

Screenshot-1300_zpsx5voqb0a.jpg
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

@GoldenBuffy Lovely family! :) I find it hard to tell when they are kids unless features are really extreme but it looks to me that the daughter resembles her father more than her mother but that is just a guess. I think it's easier to see when they reach the teen stage, although I peek at all my sims in CAS on reaching toddler. I can't see much resemblance between your sims' daughter and her cousins but that doesn't mean they don't share any features. Do you check your kids in CAS when they are toddlers (or later)? The use of different skins also makes a difference in how sims look, so even identical siblings will appear different if wearing different skins.
    Thanks for sharing :)

@GaiaHypothesis Beautiful sims! The pale blue eyes and dark hair on the son is a stunning combination! He is lovely :) I am also very fond of the teen kids, especially the male as he has eyes like one of my long-time favourite sims. Would you mind telling me what genetics mods you use?
    Thanks so much for sharing :)
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    @Mikezumi I'm mostly just up with all the NRAAS bits and bobs that deal with advanced genetics. (SP population, and SP extra)

On top of that I also JUST got a hair colour mod for better hair colour blending (because like you said sometimes it just tosses and random out there) THIS ONE

It really seems to be working out well. The mixes are pretty varied and interesting (I check out the babies born in the town as well).

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
    edited December 2016
    @Mikezumi I'm mostly just up with all the NRAAS bits and bobs that deal with advanced genetics. (SP population, and SP extra)

On top of that I also JUST got a hair colour mod for better hair colour blending (because like you said sometimes it just tosses and random out there) THIS ONE

It really seems to be working out well. The mixes are pretty varied and interesting (I check out the babies born in the town as well).

@GaiaHypothesis Ah, I also use the Nraas ones :) I had read there was a hair colour mod but I am happy to just fix hair colour when I find it. I also check all babies born in town - I have partners chosen for my sim family usually by toddler or child stage LOL
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @Mikezumi, I'm horrible because I don't "cheat" and age them up just to see. Maybe I will do that when I fire up my game. Because I really want to know at times.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

@GoldenBuffy I can't help myself ... I just have to look at them as soon as I am able :) Of course by the time they grow up they look different because the traits they get growing up and their personalities determine which hair and clothes they wear.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    edited November 2018
    I love genetics too! One of the reasons I always play legacy families :D
    Here's mom, Cecily:
    Screenshot_14583.jpg
    And Dad, Billy Caspian of Riverview:
    Screenshot_14699.jpg
    They had 3 kids. Brooke:
    Screenshot_15533_113.jpg
    Cody:
    Screenshot_15535_173.jpg
    And Fern:
    Screenshot_15535_171.jpg
    I think they all turned out lovely o:)
    Post edited by pandabear1836 on
    @pandabear1836 Thanks for sharing with me :) Cecily is pretty! I have used Billy in some of my saves - I think he's cute :) The kids turned out great - I especially like Fern :)
  • KatbagalKatbagal Posts: 107 Member
    edited December 2016
    My first gen has been pretty good to me, accept that both of the girls got the AWFUL brown/yellow/green hair. I ended up changing one of their hair colors to purple because I thought it would be fun. Pictures of Mikel (she has the purple hair): Screenshot-1230_zpsiamgbx1g.jpg

Her sister kept the awful hair color simply because you can't really tell with her hair style, her name is Philly:
    Screenshot-1224_zpsvkw0eftp.jpg

The parents, Charlena and Javes, have completely different hair than their kids. I have no idea why the kids didn't get either of their hair colors, but oh well. Pictures of Charlena and Javes:
    Screenshot-1198_zpsh8hvawyj.jpg

You can see their hair colors better here:
    Screenshot-1202_zpsl3dano7a.jpg

I'm excited to see what Philly and Mikel's children look like. I just HOPE their hair won't be that awful color.

aka underapprciatedalien
    Origin ID~unhappyeggplant
    @Katbagal Thanks for sharing :) Mikel and Philly are very pretty and their parents are good looking also :) From looking at the last pic, I suspect Philly's hair colour may have come from their dad. That greenish/brown hair looks different depending on the hair style you use. I never keep it, but have noticed on some it is not nearly as obvious.