Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

macOS thread - now including 10.14 Mojave

Comments

• Roxy7239Roxy7239 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello all, apologies if this has been covered - I have been going through all threads to find a solution to my problem but havent yet found one. I have recently re-installed the sims 3 back on my mac through Origin and manually (as origin asked to do this - some I have bought through origin and the rest I have on disc), it installed all smoothly but when clicking to play it seems to try to load and then I get the message - an unknown error has occurred. It does this with whichever expansion pack I try to load. I currently have MacOS Sierra but I have seen on most comments that Sims 3 seems to load and run smoothly so I am not quite sure what could be the issue. Although recently in the last year I have had issue with the Sims 4 having a lot bugs and crashes, but that is a different issue altogether - hopefully not related to re-installing sims 3. Hopefully you can all help? Online there isnt much to do with the sims 3 and sierra not working so hoping to get it sorted somehow. I did see on a different thread that possibly installing manually with the discs and not through origin could work? Thanks!

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

Version - 10.12.1 Beta (16B2333a)
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup disk - Macintosh HD
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
  • pinkshellt4pinkshellt4 Posts: 8 New Member
    Hello,

I hope someone here can help me?

I have a late 2013 imac with plenty of RAM, storage and good graphics card. My Sims 3 was working perfectly fine till now. I have just updated to the new OS that was released last month.

I got some Sims 3 stuff packs and installed them, however they did not work. I realised I had to update my game through my sims launcher, so I unistalled my stuff packs and updated my game. I reinstalled a stuff pack and tried to start my game and it just wouldn't no matter what I tried.

So I unistalled EVERYTHING, base game and all expansions etc. I did a thorough clean out (including all those pesky hanging around little folders that dont get unistalled).

I reinstalled my Sims 3 base game only and updated so in my launcher the version states;1.67.................

This still didnt work, the launcher loaded up fine, but when I press the play button, my imac sounds and looks like its booting up the game,but it either crashes on a black screen (mouse is on the screen and able to move it) or just closes the loading screen.

I have downloaded and installed the latest 'super-patch' for imac - this didnt work

I have downloaded the Origin Application to see if that helped - nope

I am using the Discs, not the Origin downloadable Sims 3

Please could any suggest anything? I love my sims game!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Roxy7239 wrote: »
    Hello all, apologies if this has been covered - I have been going through all threads to find a solution to my problem but havent yet found one. I have recently re-installed the sims 3 back on my mac through Origin and manually (as origin asked to do this - some I have bought through origin and the rest I have on disc), it installed all smoothly but when clicking to play it seems to try to load and then I get the message - an unknown error has occurred. It does this with whichever expansion pack I try to load. I currently have MacOS Sierra but I have seen on most comments that Sims 3 seems to load and run smoothly so I am not quite sure what could be the issue. Although recently in the last year I have had issue with the Sims 4 having a lot bugs and crashes, but that is a different issue altogether - hopefully not related to re-installing sims 3. Hopefully you can all help? Online there isnt much to do with the sims 3 and sierra not working so hoping to get it sorted somehow. I did see on a different thread that possibly installing manually with the discs and not through origin could work? Thanks!

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

Make sure you are updated to the current version of Sierra, not the Beta version. That could be what is causing the issues.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Riece30Riece30 Posts: 2 New Member
    Roxy7239 wrote: »

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

• Riece30Riece30 Posts: 2 New Member

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Riece30 wrote: »

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

This section is for the sims 3 Mac http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/mac-discussions

@igazor are you on the forum? This is for TS3 Thanks
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Riece30 - You appear to have copied another forum member's post and added your specs at the bottom, sorry but which game are you asking about? This section of the forum is for TS4. If you are having issues with TS3 on Sierra, I would suggest adding a post of your own describing the issue to this thread on the TS3 for Mac section.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/900696/sims-3-and-sierra
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • nikkiraychellenikkiraychelle Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi first time poster here, I have a serious issue.

I recently installed OS Sierra, not in the beta form on my Mac Book Pro. I decided to reinstall the Sims 4 on my laptop however in doing this, now in Origin the base game doesnt want to download, it pauses for more than 24 hours (ive been doing this download since 10/20/16). When i close out Origin and open it back up, my stuff packs started downloading without the base game even completing...I am so confused on what is going on. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Origin about 5 times on my Mac Book...it is beyond frustrating. I need some help. Here are the specs for my MacBook. Thank you in advance:

Version - 10.12
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi first time poster here, I have a serious issue.

I recently installed OS Sierra, not in the beta form on my Mac Book Pro. I decided to reinstall the Sims 4 on my laptop however in doing this, now in Origin the base game doesnt want to download, it pauses for more than 24 hours (ive been doing this download since 10/20/16). When i close out Origin and open it back up, my stuff packs started downloading without the base game even completing...I am so confused on what is going on. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Origin about 5 times on my Mac Book...it is beyond frustrating. I need some help. Here are the specs for my MacBook. Thank you in advance:

Version - 10.12
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB

Use the Origin reset tool - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If that doesn't work right click on the game in your Origin games library and select Repair Game if possible

If that doesn't work try the following, if possible:
    1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
    2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
    3. There should be two files in there. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. Leave the other file, The Sims 4.par alone.
    4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download.
    apple-signature.png
  • nikkiraychellenikkiraychelle Posts: 3 New Member
    None of those suggestions work. It is still "queing" or "pausing" or "preparing to download"
    None of those suggestions work. It is still "queing" or "pausing" or "preparing to download"

Enabling Safe mode might help. This Mac/Origin specific thread over at AHQ will explain how to do that and also has a list of other things to try - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/MAC-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/td-p/5371659#M3387

Hopefully safe mode or flushing DNS may work. If not then set up a new administrator account on your Mac and try installing in that account.

apple-signature.png
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    Hi all,

(I'm really sorry to write about The Sims 3 here, but I can't start a new thread, in any categories).

I decided to install The Sims 3 on my MacBook Air a couple days ago, and I'm getting 80+ FPS in Bridgeport (I'm happy, but my laptop gets really hot, about 75-80C). This used to happen in The Sims 4 as well, but I limited my frame (with the frame limiter in the Options.ini file to 30, and my laptop doesn't go over 60C.

Is there a frame limiter in The Sims 3 (or settings), or an app that will let me do that?

I mean, 80FPS is great and smooth, but my laptop gets way too hot, and my fans just go full blast.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    idk if im gonna get serria. i got this imac recently and i heard it's just better to stick with the OS it came with.
  • KitCastKitCast Posts: 12 New Member
    I'm still using Yosemite, but I wan to upgrade but I have Intel HD Graphics 400. I usually play with the setting as high (I have a macbook pro 13 inch by the way) have someone experienced problems?
  • phanisixx777phanisixx777 Posts: 38 Member
    very beautiful
  • MilkyKidMilkyKid Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello! Sorry if this already has an answer, but when I updated my old MacBook Air to the macOS Sierra and all my game files were lost. All my custom content was remove, and their are not even the EA files anymore. I got a whole new origin account, EA account, and sims game. And it all stayed the same. My MacBook Air has about 10 gigabytes left. I think I might have made the mistake of getting the new game DIRECTLY off origin, instead of off the sims website. If anyone know what I can do, please help.
  • lilly6327lilly6327 Posts: 6 New Member
    I can't get into any house after downloading City Living,. it just redirects me to the screen with each of the cities. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, will someone tell me how to fix it? I already tried uninstalling The Sims 4 from my computer and reinstalling it, but it didn't have any effect on my problem. If someone here works for EA, will you please send out an update? :)
    @lilly6327

It's a known issue affecting Windows and Mac users that has reappeared with the latest patch.

If you have Mods then please remove them and see if that makes a difference.

Crin recommends not to save but to move your saves out of the Sims 4 folder to keep them safe and play a new game until it is fixed.
    apple-signature.png
  • onnaday14onnaday14 Posts: 8 New Member
    Sigh, I am getting so tired of this. This new pack has made my game unusable and I have done everything suggested in this thread.

My Specs:
    macOS Sierra

Version - 10.12.1
    onnaday14 wrote: »
    Sigh, I am getting so tired of this. This new pack has made my game unusable and I have done everything suggested in this thread.

My Specs:
    macOS Sierra

Version - 10.12.1

How did you get on with the installing the manual NVIDIA driver? Did it not make a difference? Did it cause your Mac to kernel panic?

apple-signature.png
  • onnaday14onnaday14 Posts: 8 New Member
    How did you get on with the installing the manual NVIDIA driver? Did it not make a difference? Did it cause your Mac to kernel panic?
    That is something I wouldn't attempt doing as I'm not well-versed in technical tinkering.
  • solvorshsolvorsh Posts: 142 Member
    After reading through some of this thread I am absolutely not updating my mac at this time. So much trouble going on, wow :wink:
    onnaday14 wrote: »
    That is something I wouldn't attempt doing as I'm not well-versed in technical tinkering.

Fair enough. That is the only fix for your issue though at the moment as your NVIDIA is most likely causing the issue (your GPU is listed as one of the ones which benefits from the manual driver update). I understand though, especially as the Sierra drivers appear to be so buggy at the moment.

apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I haven't downloaded CL, but my Sims 4 still runs ok. I really haven't played it lately and I've updated to Sierra. I have an iMac 27" late 2012 Nividia GTX 680MX. I strongly suggest to not update the drivers manually as it can screw up not only your Sims 4, but other games and programs as well.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I haven't downloaded CL, but my Sims 4 still runs ok. I really haven't played it lately and I've updated to Sierra. I have an iMac 27" late 2012 Nividia GTX 680MX. I strongly suggest to not update the drivers manually as it can screw up not only your Sims 4, but other games and programs as well.

It's great that you're not affected by the NVIDIA issue, I think the 2Gb GPUs managed to escape the issue, as did the 1GB 650M - phew!

Updating the NVIDIA driver manually won't screw up any games and apps, in fact it should enable them to run more smoothly as Apple's drivers are always woefully out of date but there's the possibility of a kernel panic which is far more serious than a game not loading or glitching :)

apple-signature.png