Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I finally understand why The Sims 4 has lost its spark in comparison to previous games

quoted from SimGuruLyndsay
The humor and tone has changed, you're right. There are definitely darker elements, in text especially, in some of the previous Sims games. We look for ways to keep the edge but are cognizant of the fact that ratings and the ratings process are different today then they were 15 years ago and there are different things happening in the world to influence how people respond to different kinds of humor that we have to be aware of. To your grim reaper example, we have actually always had a bit of fun with him. He played chess in TS1, he brought hula dancers for elders in TS2 and would hang out on your lot, stuff like that. Maybe we're having too much fun with him now? I understand what you're saying though, so thanks for sharing.

original post: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/897947/ask-a-guru-game-development-edition/p13

Not only was the game childified in order to fit into the teen rating (which honestly, is it worth it, when majority of your audience would be over 20 by now?), but the developers are also afraid to offend. Now this is a rather complex problem happening world wide, that a lot of artists and comedians had to comment on. Bottom line is though, you can't have humour without the potential to offend. No matter how innocent, someone can still find your humour offensive. That's why you shouldn't care if it might potentially offend someone or not. A sim drowning to death can potentially offend someone. Should we take out death all together?

“It is impossible to be truly artistic without the risk of offending someone somewhere.”
― Wayne Gerard Trotman

“When we’re young nothing offends us, except adults telling us what should. Then when we become adults, nothing offends us, except we are offended on behalf of our young.”
― Craig Stone, The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. David A. Bednar

I believe in absolute freedom of expression. Everyone has a right to offend and be offended. Taslima Nasrin

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    True. I don't know how times are like now with dark humor but the kinda humor TS4 has is very modern day and something that teens can relate to such as 'scour for memes' and 'troll teh forums'. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Believe me, @Dekay, anyone who understands dark humor can tell you TS4 has none of it. I agree with @mirta000 on the necessity of an honest product to offend and that TS4 has no ability to offend, save for the visuals of something uploaded to the gallery. Problem is that businesses feel that in order to maximize potential profit, they must be able to appeal to every potential market.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    ENolan wrote: »
    Believe me, @Dekay, anyone who understands dark humor can tell you TS4 has none of it. I agree with @mirta000 on the necessity of an honest product to offend and that TS4 has no ability to offend, save for the visuals of something uploaded to the gallery. Problem is that businesses feel that in order to maximize potential profit, they must be able to appeal to every potential market.

Yeah, I guess the younger generation might not be into dark humor then.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I doubt it's that they're afraid to offend, but more in keeping with their T Rating. But hey, what do I know.

On the whole, people are more easily offended, where they weren't years ago, but things chance as we change. Years ago, abuse, in any form, was rarely acknowledged. Nobody considered that a finger wagging would be considered a violent action, which it is and can be. Or that a cake dancer popping out of a cake would cause feminists to be up in arms. Unfortunately, they have to move with society too. And society doesn't like to offend anymore. Strange but true.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited August 2016
    Arletta wrote: »
    I doubt it's that they're afraid to offend, but more in keeping with their T Rating. But hey, what do I know.

On the whole, people are more easily offended, where they weren't years ago, but things chance as we change. Years ago, abuse, in any form, was rarely acknowledged. Nobody considered that a finger wagging would be considered a violent action, which it is and can be. Or that a cake dancer popping out of a cake would cause feminists to be up in arms. Unfortunately, they have to move with society too. And society doesn't like to offend anymore. Strange but true.

other companies and products are not necessarily sticking to this motto, because it tends to ruin the product. In the age where everything is offensive, humour has no place to be. That is why more older simmers just turn away from sims and move to other games. After all violence is offensive, but we still have shooters, skimpy clothing is women exploitation, but MMOs still exist. Heck, this is a questline in FFXIV:

latest?cb=20150222182207

and yes, the purple octopus does subtly make jokes that you think would come out out of a tentacle monster and a woman situation. And it's not portrayed graphically. Nor are mature words used. But a simple inkling of a situation can offend.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

other companies and products are not necessarily sticking to this motto, because it tends to ruin the product. In the age where everything is offensive, humour has no place to be. That is why more older simmers just turn away from sims and move to other games. After all violence is offensive, but we still have shooters, skimpy clothing is women exploitation, but MMOs still exist. Heck, this is a questline in FFXIV:

latest?cb=20150222182207

and yes, the purple octopus does subtly make jokes that you think would come out out of a tentacle monster and a woman situation. And it's not portrayed graphically. Nor are mature words used. But a simple inkling of a situation can offend.

Indeed. I know MMO's are known for being risqué. There again, they're known as games where you go beat the living daylights out of largely imaginary monsters. They're usually not a dollhouse game where they're definitely not known for violence, of any description, barring a smack to the face (which people get offended by) and things coming randomly out of the sky and ending the sim in question (which people are offended by).

*shrugs*

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited August 2016

Indeed. I know MMO's are known for being risqué. There again, they're known as games where you go beat the living daylights out of largely imaginary monsters. They're usually not a dollhouse game where they're definitely not known for violence, of any description, barring a smack to the face (which people get offended by) and things coming randomly out of the sky and ending the sim in question (which people are offended by).

*shrugs*

if I wanted to I could twist everything in The Sims 4 to be offensive:

alien babies - aliens forced themselves on you
    child death - child abuse and can't be shown
    underwear - too nudey for a T rated game.
    clowns - not carring about clownphobic people

That's kind of my point. Don't be afraid to make a joke in case that someone might be offended, because everything can be offensive. It should be enough that you did not direct it to a group of people specifically and did not mean for it to offend. If I made a mean remark towards a minority group, I did so willingly. If anyone thinks that Hawaii dancer women that came with death in The Sims 2 are being enslaved and exploited, it's their issue as I did not intend it that way.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    false to me the sims4 has not lost its spark i find it better than the pass games
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    I agree. Even though the bulk of my Sims playing has been with Sims 3 (I had to go to my sister's house to play Sims 1) I can notice some "dark" elements that are missing. All for the sake of the few who believe everything is offensive. I usually don't participate in heated threads because inevitably someone will be offended and I don't want to waste my time with those debates. :P
    aSE16f8.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »
    ENolan wrote: »

Yeah, I guess the younger generation might not be into dark humor then.

You guessed wrong. I'm a teen and I love dark humor. If anything, people get offended too easily these days. Like, life itself is super ironic if you really think about it. You can't take everything so seriously or you'll become very bitter.
    But I know a lot of teens these days are just so... ugh. Let's just say I'm glad I found friends who are tolerant and have a sense of humor.

I like the way you think @Yoko2112 and I'm glad you have friends that not only support you but share your ideas.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I also forgot to add that when i play a game even if its the sims i am kind of serious and when it comes to humor there are things in the game that i clearly do not find funny even if i am an older simmer when it comes to humor there are things i clearly do not find funny so i much prefer the way it was set up in the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Wait... Feminists complained about the cake dancer? It came in male and female versions.

I like dark humour. I even like offensive humour as long as everybody is offended equally (like those old Englishman/Irishman/Scotsman jokes that had different versions depending on your nationality). If you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't laugh at others.

Maybe I'm just not easily offended though.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Wait... Feminists complained about the cake dancer? It came in male and female versions.

I like dark humour. I even like offensive humour as long as everybody is offended equally (like those old Englishman/Irishman/Scotsman jokes that had different versions depending on your nationality). If you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't laugh at others.

Well said. And games should be all about humor. Life can get people down enough as it is. I don't play games for more of that, I want fun.
  • EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    that is why the magic is loosing...at least for me. The Sims 2 have less dark humor than The Sims 1, The Sims 3 even less and The Sims 4 have...none :neutral:

I want to feel again that I'm truly playing SIMS!

(I don't understand why someone can be offended by a game, and if so, just don't play it. Simple)
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I agree! Many people are too easily offended over nonsense.
    Steven Fry said it best, saying your offended is a non-argument and shouldn't be acknowledge. If someone's sensibilities are so easily disturbed then they have the responsibility to shelter themselves in whatever way seems best. Expecting others to constantly filter for their sake is a bit narsacistic.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2016
    I came across this a long time ago while thinking about writing stories.
    "A joke should contain at least two, but preferably more of these:

-cute
    -clever
    -naughty
    -cruel
    -bizarre
    -relatable (you have been in this situation, seen it, or fear it happening to you.)"

Clever and relatable are a must. Cute, since it's The Sims, but the humor should also have at least one from naughty, cruel, or bizarre. Gross would probably fit under bizarre, like dying in your own pee, like in a certain developer walk-through. I prefer the bizarre that really messes with your mind over the bizarre that is simply gross.

So...

-Cute
    -Clever
    -Relatable
    -Naughty

-Cute
    -Clever
    -Relatable
    -Cruel

-Cute
    -Clever
    -Relatable
    -Bizarre

and for the humor that is hilarious on so many levels, all of them.
    There should be a few things that cut the cuteness, just for contrast and surprise.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    I am on the elder end of simmers..a tad over 50..There are elements that I love about all versions of the sims..I stumbled onto the franchise at TS2..I had just gotten a computer, and got TS2 to keep me busy, as I had just gotten a divorce, and needed something to occupy me after the kiddos went to bed..I do miss the humor of TS2..My daughter plays TS4, but I find I miss the quirkiness and humor of TS2..I have TS2, 3, and 4 on my PC..I can flip flop and re-visit as I choose..love it!
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »

Not sure if I can write this as one of my other comments was recently deleted for being too political, but yes : modern day feminists see men as the source of all evil, so of course there's no problem in sexualizing men, they don't need them anyways.
    Women on the other hand.... oh boy. Let them dress how they want but get angry when they do. Modern Feminism 101.

That's an extreme stereotype. Some feminists are like that. Most aren't. It's like any internet warrior. You hear from the fringe the most because they comment the loudest.

Besides that...I'm pretty sure that most video games were toned down thanks to Jack Thompson, that sue-happy lawyer who loved making outrageous claims about all video games. Even though he was wrong about everything he claimed regarding the sims (and most other games), he still caused the industry to change.
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member

Well said, the problem is that nowadays everybody gets offended so easily about plum things. I also like dark/offensive humour, but that's kind of weird now... sadly.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.