Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To Add CC or Not to Add CC?

Sorry this is long, but it's worth it:
So... I just reinstalled all my game stuff for TS3... and there staring back at me was my saved mod file on my USB (I keep it safe there just in case) and well... while a LOT of people play with CC, i've seen some beautiful creations come out of what people get off the Sims 3 store, and I have like $20 I could use to buy some simpoints to just get some nice clothes and stuff for my sims since that's what most of my CC is and maybe it'll help my game run better... but how do you all feel about CC, and does your computer run better with it or without? All my CC comes from modthesims.com and then I just tried the Nraas story progression mod but not really feeling it.
tumblr_mrvfonTRwm1rp3b5eo1_500.gif

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I don't notice the difference in my game play with the CC, it's the Story Progression mod that does for me But I'd rather have a working Story Progression than what EA gave us.
  • SimsMastergirlSimsMastergirl Posts: 179 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I don't notice the difference in my game play with the CC, it's the Story Progression mod that does for me But I'd rather have a working Story Progression than what EA gave us.

I got the Nraas story progression mod and it's quite a lot haha. Does it really work that well?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited August 2016
    How CC affects your game is going to depend on how much of it, poly count, and your computer.

You can get free simpoints through watching ads. Make sure you have your ad blocker is turned off otherwise it won't show. Learn about it here: http://simsvip.com/2013/04/25/free-50-simpoints-daily-in-the-sims-3-store/

All NRaas mods have a FAQs page and a Interactions page listing all of the options, this includes Story Progression.
    I recommend reading over the Story Progression FAQ page to get you started.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Crystal1976Crystal1976 Posts: 154 Member
    I use custom content mainly from thesimsresource.com and there is some really good stuff on there. I have often had trouble with my game lagging, so I usually only get hair, makeup, and clothing. As far as stuff from The Sims 3 Store, I don't worry about it's content making my game lag (and I have really gotten some cool stuff on it), however if you download things from the Exchange, it tends to make it more laggy. Sometimes, when you download sims, you get CC that the person used to make the sim with. I use it as a way to get the stuff that's harder to install (like skin tones) but it can make your game slower. I used Nraas Story Progression for a while, and it seemed to make my game really slow (I have all of the expansions, I don't know if that makes a difference). Personally, it doesn't work for me, but try it (it sounds like you have, so this is just advice for people who happen to read this) because I have heard it does help the speed of peoples' games.
    I totally recommend getting Simpoints, because there really is some cool stuff on there, like the premium content. Always look for the stuff that's on sale because I have saved a lot of Simpoints/money that way.
    I hope this helped :)
    F1%2BGTR%2Bcrash.gif

"Whoops!"
    -Nick Mason (Official)
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited August 2016
    I play without it and am completely happy with just sims clothing hair and store stuff.Plus create a pattern can make any sims outfit/furniture/wallpaper etc look completely different and awesome plus it is fun.Be creative and make cool stuff.My most recent collection was graffiti clothing.Create a pattern is a EA made tool.Highly reccomended.

https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/pattern

All EA clothing and hair stuff below even the sim is a EA premade townie from Monte Vista.Just threw my graffiti on it.

Screenshot-4329_zpsp0xinvxz.jpg

Screenshot-4328_zpsb4qpxzs6.jpg

Screenshot-4323_zps3gl4bj7r.jpg

Screenshot-4298_zps9ar8rw9v.jpg
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • WonderstruckkWonderstruckk Posts: 195 Member

Personally I use CC mainly for hairstyles but sometimes I get some BAAAAAAADDDDDD stuff added into the mix, like the kids will wear CC meant for adults and then you get glitches like this

21ke3ux.jpg

anigif_enhanced-25237-1426197588-11_preview.gif
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    @Wonderstruckk Do you download from the exchange often?
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MinkFurMinkFur Posts: 164 Member
    I haven't had a good experience with sims 3 cc in general (mostly because the computer i had was a piece of plum). Also i agree with @Crystal1976 that downloading from the exchange can make your game laggy and you could download a bugged piece of cc (look up "sims 3 demon baby" in google, thats what happens when you download from the exhange sometimes). @Crystal1976 there is a Nraas module that helps cut lag,its called overwatch, maybe you should try it sometime :)
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
  • WonderstruckkWonderstruckk Posts: 195 Member
    @Wonderstruckk Do you download from the exchange often?

Yeah
    anigif_enhanced-25237-1426197588-11_preview.gif
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @Wonderstruckk Your avatars face beside that screenshot you posted... :D So good.That top is well known as bad CC vampire top Crinrict has a section on removing it.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Crystal1976Crystal1976 Posts: 154 Member
    @MinkFur I do have Nraas overwatch, but thank you for recommending it :) I got it to solve other problems, so maybe the Story Progression mod was overworking it (even though I truly do not know XD ) Thanks again for recommending it :)
    F1%2BGTR%2Bcrash.gif

"Whoops!"
    -Nick Mason (Official)
    I use custom content mainly from thesimsresource.com and there is some really good stuff on there. I have often had trouble with my game lagging, so I usually only get hair, makeup, and clothing. As far as stuff from The Sims 3 Store, I don't worry about it's content making my game lag (and I have really gotten some cool stuff on it), however if you download things from the Exchange, it tends to make it more laggy. Sometimes, when you download sims, you get CC that the person used to make the sim with. I use it as a way to get the stuff that's harder to install (like skin tones) but it can make your game slower. I used Nraas Story Progression for a while, and it seemed to make my game really slow (I have all of the expansions, I don't know if that makes a difference). Personally, it doesn't work for me, but try it (it sounds like you have, so this is just advice for people who happen to read this) because I have heard it does help the speed of peoples' games.
    I totally recommend getting Simpoints, because there really is some cool stuff on there, like the premium content. Always look for the stuff that's on sale because I have saved a lot of Simpoints/money that way.
    I hope this helped :)

Deff helped lots thanks! <3
    I play without it and am completely happy with just sims clothing hair and store stuff.Plus create a pattern can make any sims outfit/furniture/wallpaper etc look completely different and awesome plus it is fun.Be creative and make cool stuff.My most recent collection was graffiti clothing.Create a pattern is a EA made tool.Highly reccomended.

https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/pattern

All EA clothing and hair stuff below even the sim is a EA premade townie from Monte Vista.Just threw my graffiti on it.

Deff love that! I use to do that back when I first got the game.
    I do know that some CC ends up in the exchange without them telling you which sucks. I usually steer clear of that. I think Nraas does make my game slow so might remove it but might look into overwatch
    Hmm, i noticed when i had all or alot of stories going on, it made the game lag alot more. I only have about 4 stories on at once. Maybe the stories are what is making you lag?
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
    lol forgot to add @Crystal1976 to the comment above XD
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I have much less CC than I used to, especially now that I finally got all the expansion packs and bought a Stuff Pack I really wanted (Movie Stuff). Most of the CC I have now is just a few hairstyles and a couple of makeup items.

Got burned on bad/buggy CC a while ago with the horrible "centaur" one. Heard of that? I have a screenshot (shudder) if you're interested.

I got the Nraas story progression mod and it's quite a lot haha. Does it really work that well?

For me it works like a charm. Over a period of time I have learned how to tweak it to the settings that I like. When ever I first start off any town though I always leave both Story Progression (both EA's and the NRaas Story Progression) turned off along with the ageing. This gives me a chance to get the town set up to the way I want, and to make sure my single young sims can find their prospective mate before Story Progression gets every single sims involved with some one else.

For me it works like a charm. Over a period of time I have learned how to tweak it to the settings that I like. When ever I first start off any town though I always leave both Story Progression (both EA's and the NRaas Story Progression) turned off along with the ageing. This gives me a chance to get the town set up to the way I want, and to make sure my single young sims can find their prospective mate before Story Progression gets every single sims involved with some one else.

So then it actually does work better than EA progression? It actually pushes for the people to get married and live their lives and stuff?
  • Anonymous_Loba24Anonymous_Loba24 Posts: 528 Member

So then it actually does work better than EA progression? It actually pushes for the people to get married and live their lives and stuff?

Yeah, in my game it does. I actually had to tweak it quite a bit cause I'd break sims up and literally the next day, new partner! Sometimes, the same day. Bit of a hassle but way better than seeing your sims extended family still single.

Also in my game, I had two sets of four (don't EVER chance the chance of having quadruplets) and without NRaas SP, I doubt they would have all married and had kids like they are now. Out of my current generation, one son is out and with kids and the other has moved out and found a partner. So SP works very nicely and does the work for you.
    4079d81271f2af485384f79de0670e0a.gif
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I play a very heavily Modded game loaded with tons of CC from places like MTS,TSR,ATS and a few other sites.I've added CC clothing for children because they're children for long enough that I want better options for the older children so they don't end up looking like oversized babies.It's fine for smaller children to look a little babyish though.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited August 2016
    I haven't had good experiences in the past with CC and TS3, I play with a few mods (mostly, but not all, NRass and without overwatch, debugenabler, Master controller, errortrap and register I wouldn't be able to play at all) and some store content. That works for me, if I want something "unique" CAST is able to do it for me :)

That's just me though some people play just fine with CC. I play TS2 with a TON of CC, but TS2 doesn't give me trouble with it like TS3 does

Edit: I have Story Progression too which I also find essential, even if it is a big mod, it's so worth it to me! That way my town actually progresses nicely.
    Yes, people will date, get engaged, married, and will sometimes divorce. And some times couples who split up, end back up together. This in turn will also have babies be born, for the next generation. You have the control on how fast you want your town to grow as well. People will change jobs, get fired (if they slack off), and will hire on to jobs. It will also keep a sim's life time wish in mind, and will push that sim to work towards that as well. So if you have a sim who wants to sleep with 5 different sims, they will. If they want to raise 5 babies to teen, they will have those children. With the SP mod, sims will NOT move out of town either, and babies won't be killed off. I had this problem with EA's Story Progression. With the mod, people will move around to homes that are in the neighborhood if need be. This is some of the stuff that this mod will do.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I think you can play an amazing game without CC. The base is all there right?

WITH THAT SAID... I like my game to look a certain way and play a certain way and I can only do that with CC and mods. The game isn't coming out with new content, and its not being updated or having issues "fixed" anymore. SO I like to take things into my own hands and make the game what I want it to be.

There is a lot of very safe content out there now, and there is a lot of not so great stuff. I think if you choose to go with CC then you can definitely find some very solid CC and Mod makers out there.

I play with an obscene amount of CC and mods... and my game still runs and I haven't had any major horror stories from 'bad' CC.

28675275961_532273f175_o.jpg

28598871075_f92a8b7a31_o.jpg

26183190222_dbcf4bf277_o.jpg

IMO it depends on what kind of game YOU want. And that is the beauty of TS3 at this time. Also I highly recommend NRAAS Master Controller, and Story Progression if you are at all unhappy with EA's SP. For years I only played with MC and SP, as well as CC default skins, eyes, a few hairs and a few outfits.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
    Just spent the last few hours playing my game with a skin CC and makeup CC and some clothes CC. I didn't realize though that the Overwatch mod deff makes my game run a lot better. I didn't even touch it I just let it work its magic and well my sim, Alana, is halfway through with Uni and I can actually say this is probably the best put together sim i've made yet and that's just with a few simple CC and of course focusing on her skills some. I always just worry about buggy CC, like I hear the resource often has some that's why I usually just get whatever modthesims offers. But so far no issues, will deff be getting more makeup and such later today.