Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The only issue I have with this update...

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2016
    fairysassy wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They did address this in the patch notes/one of the articles (I forget). They said some of the things were harder to convert, but they went with the choice of giving people more options... Rather than leaving some things out because they weren't quite right.

I'd rather they leave them out and work on the issues than give us half a--ed items lol. Like some items look pretty bad that if they left them out to fix, I wouldn't have missed them. They said this took them a year to figure out and yet things cc creators have been doing (converting male to female and vice versa), they could have at least smoothed out the bad bugs. Then fixed up the minor issues afterwards (a few weeks)?

but maybe that's just my opinion? :/

I think how each mesh looks depends somewhat on the sim's proportions. So if they checked them all quickly on one sim, they might have missed issues that only effect skinnier/plumper/buffer sims.

Like someone else says, they probably converted using a script of some kind, and did a manual once-over for anything obvious out of place. Imagine how long it would take to check every mesh, on every possible body type?

E.G. Some of the long hairs stick out weirdly to the sides on men with wide shoulders, but I've seen them on more slender males and they look fine.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    They did address this in the patch notes/one of the articles (I forget). They said some of the things were harder to convert, but they went with the choice of giving people more options... Rather than leaving some things out because they weren't quite right.

I'd rather they leave them out and work on the issues than give us half a--ed items lol. Like some items look pretty bad that if they left them out to fix, I wouldn't have missed them. They said this took them a year to figure out and yet things cc creators have been doing (converting male to female and vice versa), they could have at least smoothed out the bad bugs. Then fixed up the minor issues afterwards (a few weeks)?

I think how each mesh looks depends somewhat on the sim's proportions. So if they checked them all quickly on one sim, they might have missed issues that only effect skinnier/plumper/buffer sims.

Like someone else says, they probably converted using a script of some kind, and did a manual once-over for anything obvious out of place. Imagine how long it would take to check every mesh, on every possible body type?

Actually we did have people checking things manually over and over again (I would chat with one of them everyday, all of the tagging for assets was done by hand) but it's not possible for us to notice everything which is why we depend on the community to alert us to any issues that might arise.

Additionally I'm looping in @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruNick @SimQARobo so that they can keep an eye on your reports here :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • achingaching Posts: 51 Member
    So I can probly never play the game again because a truly CRAP update wont work ?
    This is BULL, EA , I pay for your games and this happens.
    Not good enough.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    aching wrote: »
    So I can probly never play the game again because a truly CRAP update wont work ?
    This is BULL, EA , I pay for your games and this happens.
    Not good enough.

What issue are you having?
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Modders are already fixing the mesh issue, how is it that modders can fix it in under 24 hours when they are just ONE person with no budget, yet it took EA ONE YEAR to do....here is the very popular PickyPikachu explaining it.....

pickypikachu:

"Heres the problem, “female” meshes have more vertices in the breast area, that’s just the reality of how they set up the body templates. So when they converted male clothing they simply pushed out the vertices to somewhat match the female form, but there aren’t enough points to make it smooth and they didn’t bother to update the mesh. I don’t get how this took one year. The morph data is all over the place for the crotch area. Yes yes, good on them for being progressive and calling attention to this but I feel like deep down this was a publicity stunt and there was zero quality assurance. And then brushing it off by saying “we wanted to get this out there so it’s not perfect”. I’m mostly disappointed with this update. All that aside I am glad that a lot of you are loving it and finally making simselves that closely match yourselves and finally getting your characters into the clothing the belong in. But me, as a creator, cannot get over the sloppiness. Ugh"
  • ShuushiiShuushii Posts: 745 Member

Actually we did have people checking things manually over and over again (I would chat with one of them everyday, all of the tagging for assets was done by hand) but it's not possible for us to notice everything which is why we depend on the community to alert us to any issues that might arise.

Additionally I'm looping in @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruNick @SimQARobo so that they can keep an eye on your reports here :)

Ahh, I was so worried that we were given something half hearted and was upset for a moment. I needed that clarification, I wouldn't have known otherwise!!
    And yes, thank you for noticing our concerns!! I'm very happy with this update and how progressive Sims are becoming its just those things can really take me out of my immersion. Hope this topic was helpful for the Gurus to see the problems they didn't catch! :)
    codxHiZ.jpg
    Disclaimer: He or Him! Not a girl!
  • Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    at least lighting works gorgeously.. like holy toledo!
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    The issues I'm having with some clothing...The waistline is moved. The one on the right is where it should be, put if I add a converted top, it drops it down.

U1bNXob.jpg

Also, their stance is different. Left is original female tshirt, and right is with a converted tshirt. Basically the same shirt, but different stance.
    zP0a2R2.jpg

Don't know what it looks like in game, as I haven't gotten a chance to play yet, just messed with CAS.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    Modders are already fixing the mesh issue, how is it that modders can fix it in under 24 hours when they are just ONE person with no budget, yet it took EA ONE YEAR to do....here is the very popular PickyPikachu explaining it.....

pickypikachu:

"Heres the problem, “female” meshes have more vertices in the breast area, that’s just the reality of how they set up the body templates. So when they converted male clothing they simply pushed out the vertices to somewhat match the female form, but there aren’t enough points to make it smooth and they didn’t bother to update the mesh. I don’t get how this took one year. The morph data is all over the place for the crotch area. Yes yes, good on them for being progressive and calling attention to this but I feel like deep down this was a publicity stunt and there was zero quality assurance. And then brushing it off by saying “we wanted to get this out there so it’s not perfect”. I’m mostly disappointed with this update. All that aside I am glad that a lot of you are loving it and finally making simselves that closely match yourselves and finally getting your characters into the clothing the belong in. But me, as a creator, cannot get over the sloppiness. Ugh"

Modders aren't doing every single piece of clothing- like 700 items. They chose a single jacket in one color and convert it and it often takes hours to do that one thing AND if it's not perfect the average simmer just shrugs and accepts it because it's a modder doing it. They way I look at it the stuff that works is still a nice addition that we didn't have before. If every single item is not perfect, so what? It was free and the stuff that's there to use is a welcome addition.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2016
    Shuushii wrote: »
    InfraGreen wrote: »

I also have a feeling that they may have an automated process for doing a lot of the work of manipulating meshes to fit the other sex's body. Which is easier and quicker, at the expense of things really not being perfect.

I don't really blame them, knowing the volume of clothes they did. I'd go mad hand-tweaking meshes for hundreds of items too.

The thing is though, CC and mod creators have spoken out about how it is fixable and do-able. Yes, its hard, of course it is. I don't doubt that But its not impossible. EA is a big corporation and if a group of players who are doing this for free can do it, then I assume the creators who do this for a living can too. Especially with all the resources they have available to them.

"Heres the problem, “female” meshes have more vertices in the breast area, that’s just the reality of how they set up the body templates. So when they converted male clothing they simply pushed out the vertices to somewhat match the female form, but there aren’t enough points to make it smooth and they didn’t bother to update the mesh."

If some clothing are more difficult and they didn't want to exclude it then they should have just took time to fix that and make it more passable. No one was expecting this update, no one was waiting for it, so honestly why the rush? That's just how I feel about it.
    And I wanted to address these problems in the open so hopefully the creators can see this and see how upset people are about it and fix it.
    sunman502 wrote: »

I also have a feeling that they may have an automated process for doing a lot of the work of manipulating meshes to fit the other sex's body. Which is easier and quicker, at the expense of things really not being perfect.

I don't really blame them, knowing the volume of clothes they did. I'd go mad hand-tweaking meshes for hundreds of items too.
    They are not going to get things just right no matter what they try. Unless they have a machine doing all the work, which is not likely.

Considering modders were able to do it, there is no excuse for a team of Engineers to do it. Also, as I said, several modders have CONVERTED clothes to the opposite sex (converted in the key word here because thats different than making something specifically for the other sex) and they succeeded just fine with no weird textural issues.......and they don't have the budget EA has and do it for free.......

Although honestly as long as I don't have a bunch of bugs added with the patch I don't mind.

I think this comes down to time afforded to the developers. Someone who is creating CC as a hobby has all of the time in the world to ensure their creations are exactly how they want to be but a cog in a corporate machine just isn't going to be afforded that same luxury so in that sense I can understand why some of the meshes aren't looking right because, to me, it just isn't a realistic expectation to put on the team.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare CC developers who answer to no one but themselves to a game development team who have to answer to deadlines and stick to budgets.

Edit: Crud, missed SimGuruDrake's comment.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

Just wanted to say, thank you so much for letting us know, @SimGuruDrake ! :smile:

I would like to thank the devs for trying, too.

As long as things get fixed eventually as simmers point them out (like the bust on that dress mesh issue in Luxury Party that got fixed), then that would make me so very happy. :smile:

~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »

They are not going to get things just right no matter what they try. Unless they have a machine doing all the work, which is not likely.

You really think EA, in 2016, does everything by hand still?

If it's not done by hand, why on earth did it take them a year to do?
    wJbomAo.png
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited June 2016

pickypikachu:

That one person also has infinite time at their disposal and we do not. There were multiple people who were working on this. Those same people are always working on lots of other things at the same time. So comparing them to a single individual who has the free time available is unrealistic.

Unless she's unemployed and not actively looking for work, I imagine that modder has less time than Maxis staff.
    You guys have a minimum 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. She has a couple of hours after work and/or school, and 2 full days each weekend, assuming no other commitments.

Apples and oranges.
    wJbomAo.png
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    oh wow... i kinda hope they fix it or going forward do a better job with new clothes and hair.

still waiting for bg hair to be re-textured....
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    lmkiture wrote: »
    The issues I'm having with some clothing...The waistline is moved. The one on the right is where it should be, put if I add a converted top, it drops it down.

U1bNXob.jpg

I'm not complaining at all -- I think it's amazing that they were able to do this. But I do agree that there's a problem in general with shirts that have ties on them when women try to wear them. As @Imkiture shows, the skirt drops down, possibly so that there's a gap between the bottom of the tie and the top of the waistband.

• MonkinonkMonkinonk Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2016
    Definitely hoping that Maxis spends the next few patches fixing the glitches with the clothes! It's such a nice idea and some of them looked fine! But also some of them (like the hammer-pants) looked a little scary x). I prolly won't use the customization options but having the clothes unisex is SO much fun! Counting on you to fix the glitches, Maxis, pleaaaasse!
    Post edited by Monkinonk on
    tE7NLOj.png
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    My only issue is that it broke almost all my mods and CC. :s
  • CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Dem hexagonal tiddies :D
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Good meshes convertion is "too hard" and "too expensive" it seems
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    From understanding, there is a option to put it away.
    Um it's optional.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2016
    I think over all they did a good job and kudos to @SimGuruDrake for coming in to the thread. Is there some place we can report problems with meshes specifically? In the bug section or? I keep seeing pointy crotch problems mostly. For now I'm just avoiding things that look wrong to me, but really happy with the amount of stuff that looks great.

*edited for "plumming out" hmm what word do I use.. pointy between the legs mesh problems lol.
    egTcBMc.png
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    I'm hoping there's a fix for the mesh problem soon,

So far I'm loving the lighting in the game.. Wow.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

OMG thank you!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    ur signature lmao