Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it just me?

Is it just me or does everything in TS4 seem shallow? like it lacks depth and character? like the whole game is just a shell with no soul at all?

Comments

• ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Heheh. Nope, not just you. Browse through the forums, there are quite a few people here who aren't happy with it.

Personally, I'm enjoying it. I really like building, I love how animated and lively the sims are, I like how the aspirations system works so I can change them on the fly, if I want. I'm enjoying the new group and club systems and looking forward to how much it will affect future content. I'm not finding it shallow but I tend to build pretty much all of my households around stories that I develop in my head so I don't focus much on whims/wishes, fulfilling job or school requirements (unless that's what a particular character is supposed to do), etc.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • CommanderKeenCommanderKeen Posts: 614 Member
    Is it just me or does everything in TS4 seem shallow? like it lacks depth and character? like the whole game is just a shell with no soul at all?

No, it's not just you, but now after all this time after the initial release, the hordes of gamers who agree with you have long since left, so be prepared to be convinced otherwise by the handful of devotees who are still around. :)
  • ZazazaSimmerZazazaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Heheh. Nope, not just you. Browse through the forums, there are quite a few people here who aren't happy with it.

Personally, I'm enjoying it. I really like building, I love how animated and lively the sims are, I like how the aspirations system works so I can change them on the fly, if I want. I'm enjoying the new group and club systems and looking forward to how much it will affect future content. I'm not finding it shallow but I tend to build pretty much all of my households around stories that I develop in my head so I don't focus much on whims/wishes, fulfilling job or school requirements (unless that's what a particular character is supposed to do), etc.

Nice to see someone who´s enjoying the game ^_^ personally I like CAS and the build tools

Nice to see someone who´s enjoying the game ^_^ personally I like CAS and the build tools

Thanks. :smiley:

Unfortunately, CAS and building can only entertain for so long. :/ I know there are quite a few challenges shared on the forums here, maybe something like that would help your enjoyment of it. Though sometimes, it's just best to do something else for awhile and come back to it later. The upside of a game like the Sims is that when they add dlc and other content, it has a major effect on gameplay, unlike other games where the dlc usually just adds a mission and possibly a new place to explore. So, hopefully, they'll come out with what's needed to make it less shallow for you over time.

Unfortunately, CAS and building can only entertain for so long. :/ I know there are quite a few challenges shared on the forums here, maybe something like that would help your enjoyment of it. Though sometimes, it's just best to do something else for awhile and come back to it later. The upside of a game like the Sims is that when they add dlc and other content, it has a major effect on gameplay, unlike other games where the dlc usually just adds a mission and possibly a new place to explore. So, hopefully, they'll come out with what's needed to make it less shallow for you over time.

I have never actually tried any challenges in the sims so maybe I will do that :smiley:

Some things that would get me interested again would be:

Basic- seasons, pets, CASt, open neighbourhoods, toddlers and story progression, improved retail system

Some other stuff- a world adventures styled ep, a island paradise type of ep, steampunk clothing & items, more masculine female clothes/hair & more feminine male clothes/hair

I have never actually tried any challenges in the sims so maybe I will do that :smiley:

Basic- seasons, pets, CASt, open neighbourhoods, toddlers and story progression, improved retail system

Some other stuff- a world adventures styled ep, a island paradise type of ep, steampunk clothing & items, more masculine female clothes/hair & more feminine male clothes/hair

I never followed how the releases normally went in the Sims games but a lot of people say that Seasons will probably be at least another year or two because it takes so long for them to design and develop it. Ditto for pets.

From what the gurus have said, CASt is not likely to show up again, though I think many of us would be happy if they added a color wheel of sorts. Or, at the very least, got someone on that team who knows how to color coordinate so we can have things that actually match. :D

Toddlers--well, that's probably one of the most common discussions here. Personally, I believe they'll be patching them in, hopefully this year, followed by some kind of Generations pack, but that is just speculation, of course.

Story progression is an interesting one, I think. Some people love it and some people hate it. They have added a little bit in but I think their best idea would be to make it optional somehow so people who don't want it can turn it off. I do think a modder was working on this, too, though. Maybe that MC Command center helps with it a bit? (I've got it but I haven't poked about it too much other than for the culling issues.)

Improved retail--yes, I so agree. Would love them to keep improving on this one. And add home-based business and multi-use lots.

WA was probably my favorite EP for TS3. :smiley: And, lordy yes, I'd love to see more Steampunk stuff. I'm such a fan.

Also, welcome to the forums! I just noticed you're still pretty new here. :)
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    Ohh Noo.. not for me @ZazazaSimmer , there is no way my game/sims is " shallow and lacks depth. " I'm playing a Pinstar legacy of 10 Gens.. and I am absolutely having a blast in my family.
  • Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    No dear, it's not just you. The game is indeed superficial which is a shame really because I love the art style and the Sims are gorgeous yet they're just barbies that all act the same. On top of that the missing content really doesn't help the game.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    No dear, it's not just you. The game is indeed superficial which is a shame really because I love the art style and the Sims are gorgeous yet they're just barbies that all act the same. On top of that the missing content really doesn't help the game.

Good that the Sims in Sims 3 all act differently ;) !

edited January 2016

I never followed how the releases normally went in the Sims games but a lot of people say that Seasons will probably be at least another year or two because it takes so long for them to design and develop it. Ditto for pets.

From what the gurus have said, CASt is not likely to show up again, though I think many of us would be happy if they added a color wheel of sorts. Or, at the very least, got someone on that team who knows how to color coordinate so we can have things that actually match. :D

Toddlers--well, that's probably one of the most common discussions here. Personally, I believe they'll be patching them in, hopefully this year, followed by some kind of Generations pack, but that is just speculation, of course.

Story progression is an interesting one, I think. Some people love it and some people hate it. They have added a little bit in but I think their best idea would be to make it optional somehow so people who don't want it can turn it off. I do think a modder was working on this, too, though. Maybe that MC Command center helps with it a bit? (I've got it but I haven't poked about it too much other than for the culling issues.)

Improved retail--yes, I so agree. Would love them to keep improving on this one. And add home-based business and multi-use lots.

WA was probably my favorite EP for TS3. :smiley: And, lordy yes, I'd love to see more Steampunk stuff. I'm such a fan.

Also, welcome to the forums! I just noticed you're still pretty new here. :)

Thank you :)

I don't know if you've read it but someone on these forums said something that got me believing we will never see toddlers in TS4. It was something like this: if they announce that toddlers won't be returning a lot of simmers will probably just give up on the series, but if they decide to not say anything it will leave us hoping.

I was very disappointed with retail in TS4 as I really enjoyed it back in TS2, like all my households would have some sort of multi store with a restaurant packed in and it was pretty crazy.

As for steampunk clothing and items i'm not so sure if we will ever see any, cause of all the small details and stuff (although I really want it).
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    No you're not the only one. Just browse the Feedback forum and you'll find many with the same opinion. :)

I don't know if you've read it but someone on these forums said something that got me believing we will never see toddlers in TS4. It was something like this: if they announce that toddlers won't be returning a lot of simmers will probably just give up on the series, but if they decide to not say anything it will leave us hoping.

I was very disappointed with retail in TS4 as I really enjoyed it back in TS2, like all my households would have some sort of multi store with a restaurant packed in and it was pretty crazy.

As for steampunk clothing and items i'm not so sure if we will ever see any, cause of all the small details and stuff (although I really want it).

Yes, I've seen a few people say something like that. Sure, it's a possibility, but no one knows for sure and I prefer to assume that's not the case. They haven't definitively said anything one way or the other, so we won't know until they either provide toddlers or we reach the end of the run without them.

That sounds fun. When I was playing TS2 regularly, I didn't have any of the dlc so I never got to play with OFB.

I think they may still do some Steampunk. It's still pretty popular and they've already done a few things like it. Heck, if they keep giving us some of the industrial looking build items, we can make our own lots that look Steampunk. Clothing and hair is different, of course. There are one or two outfits now, especially with GT, that sort of have that look so maybe just some accessories like goggles, mini tophats, etc.

Yes, I've seen a few people say something like that. Sure, it's a possibility, but no one knows for sure and I prefer to assume that's not the case. They haven't definitively said anything one way or the other, so we won't know until they either provide toddlers or we reach the end of the run without them.

That sounds fun. When I was playing TS2 regularly, I didn't have any of the dlc so I never got to play with OFB.

I think they may still do some Steampunk. It's still pretty popular and they've already done a few things like it. Heck, if they keep giving us some of the industrial looking build items, we can make our own lots that look Steampunk. Clothing and hair is different, of course. There are one or two outfits now, especially with GT, that sort of have that look so maybe just some accessories like goggles, mini tophats, etc.

Now that I think of it didn't they say they were "looking into it", toddlers that is, back in like june or something? I try to keeps my hopes quite low (though it's really hard) because I don't want to be disappointed.

Thats a pity, but if you have the chance to buy the complete collection of TS2 I highly recomend you buying it, it's my favourite sims game :)

One can always hope, haha :smiley:

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Now that I think of it didn't they say they were "looking into it", toddlers that is, back in like june or something? I try to keeps my hopes quite low (though it's really hard) because I don't want to be disappointed.

Thats a pity, but if you have the chance to buy the complete collection of TS2 I highly recomend you buying it, it's my favourite sims game :)

That was June of 2014 not 2015...it must be a dark, deep hole not to see them yet. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

From this article last May http://kotaku.com/11-months-later-the-sims-4-players-still-want-answers-1705320586

"It is something we’re exploring but we don’t currently have more information to share around when or how other than to say our fans will be the first to know."

It sounds a lot like PR speak for we really don't have any plans to do anything about it right now.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

From this article last May http://kotaku.com/11-months-later-the-sims-4-players-still-want-answers-1705320586

"It is something we’re exploring but we don’t currently have more information to share around when or how other than to say our fans will be the first to know."

It sounds a lot like PR speak for we really don't have any plans to do anything about it right now.

Yeah, but there is another somewhere where they said that same thing before. It's a very deep hole.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited January 2016

Oh, I picked up UC when they released it for free last year. I tried playing it once. Unfortunately, I can't get past the graphics. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm spoiled with modern graphics. The only older game I really play anymore with older graphics is the first Mass Effect and even that one I haven't touched in awhile.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Well, I'm not crazy about the Sims 4, but still I would play it if I could, but my computer won't let me. It's nothing that a new graphics card and some more memory won't fix; unfortunately as the saying goes: "I'se po-folks" so that's out of the question at the moment.

I don't want Get Together because of the autonomous woohoo, but I will probably spend money on the movie stuff pack, (whenever I get my computer up to speed) just for the sake of watching the movies.

Meantime, since I decided to reinstall The Sims 3, I have completely uninstalled Origin from my computer because I didn't want the new Sims 3 update. I can only play with a few expansion packs; still I am enjoying it more so than I did the Sims 4.

ETA: Check out the Feedback section, though. It's very slow. I think people are just giving up and not bothering to post anymore.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Well, I'm not crazy about the Sims 4, but still I would play it if I could, but my computer won't let me. It's nothing that a new graphics card and some more memory won't fix; unfortunately as the saying goes: "I'se po-folks" so that's out of the question at the moment.

I don't want Get Together because of the autonomous woohoo, but I will probably spend money on the movie stuff pack, (whenever I get my computer up to speed) just for the sake of watching the movies.

Meantime, since I decided to reinstall The Sims 3, I have completely uninstalled Origin from my computer because I didn't want the new Sims 3 update. I can only play with a few expansion packs; still I am enjoying it more so than I did the Sims 4.

ETA: Check out the Feedback section, though. It's very slow. I think people are just giving up and not bothering to post anymore.

They just got a new EP not two weeks ago and already looking for new content for this game in the form of GP. Wanting to know when its' coming out. This game has a way of making even those who love it 'need' more content. It's weird. I don't ever remember being that way with the others. I was happy to play six more months with whatever they released in TS2 and TS3. But these players need a new game every week.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

They just got a new EP not two weeks ago and already looking for new content for this game in the form of GP. Wanting to know when its' coming out. This game has a way of making even those who love it 'need' more content. It's weird. I don't ever remember being that way with the others. I was happy to play six more months with whatever they released in TS2 and TS3. But these players need a new game every week.

Speaking only for myself I love the game and don't need more content to enjoy it. Having said that I'm always excited and looking forward to what's coming next. And I was the same way with all the previous versions.
    edited January 2016

Speaking only for myself I love the game and don't need more content to enjoy it. Having said that I'm always excited and looking forward to what's coming next. And I was the same way with all the previous versions.

Maybe you are that way, however, I see threads all the time asking for something new as soon as they get the new EP or GP in their hand. It's like this game can't fill that hole. Maybe it's built that way for a reason. But I would find that extremely frustrating needing more just as soon as I turned off the game after installing a new EP. And honestly, that is how TS4 makes me feel. I don't recall feeling that way in TS2 or TS3. I was planning my next venture in the new EP or SP use, and not even on the sites looking for newer content. The EPs don't seem to sate the public's appetite for some reason.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2016

Maybe you are that way, however, I see threads all the time asking for something new as soon as they get the new EP or GP in their hand. It's like this game can't fill that hole. Maybe it's built that way for a reason. But I would find that extremely frustrating needing more just as soon as I turned off the game after installing a new EP. And honestly, that is how TS4 makes me feel. I don't recall feeling that way in TS2 or TS3. I was planning my next venture in the new EP or SP use, and not even on the sites looking for newer content. The EPs don't seem to sate the public's appetite for some reason.

It wasn't an EP some of them were after? Or just human nature, maybe? Is there some aspect of contemporary popular/leisure culture in which there aren't always some fans excitedly looking for more info? Lord knows, I eat up every bit of info I can about new written* George R.R. Martin stuff, and I just finished the new hardcover Dunk and Egg collection last night. Being in the middle of it didn't stop me wanting new info or another book out. I think some of what's just human nature is getting used to blame the game for being bad, as if the people wanting new stuff are all doing so out of some kind of desperation to fill a gap in the original, not out of love for the original. When I eat a good piece of cake and want more, it's not because the cake was lacking and I'm hoping the next piece is better, y'know? Not even subconsciously.

*I'm putting off watching more of the TV series until the books are as done as they will be, because the plots etc. diverge at some points and I prefer to keep just the one set of plot in my head.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    And then there are the posts of players saying that they are bored and need new content.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    It's not just you. Sims 4 doesn't have the same depth as the previous game had.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    They used to say that about TS3 until I cam along and had a little word ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg