Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to The Sims 4 on Mac? Look no further!

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    virtualgb wrote: »
    Is there any way in which I can change the Graphics without entering the game? If so, how? I changed some of the settings around and since then every time I enter the game the screen is black and I end up forcefully shutting down the computer because everything stops working.

Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4

Move the Options.ini file onto your desktop. The game will recreate a new one with default settings.

apple-signature.png
  • efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    I've eventually caved and bought Sims 4 for my mac hahaha! Thanks for this thread, very helpful as always!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    A reminder.

Any time a new patch or EP/GP is released, you should always remove your Tray folder and your Mod folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). Move them to your Desktop and then update your game. Slowly add your Mods and CC back into your game only a few pieces at a time.

Please be mindful that whenever a new patch or EP/GP is released new game code is also released with these updates. Previous mods or CC may not work with the new updates because of changes to the game code. This can cause your game not to open or start or interfere with your graphics. Check back with the creators of the mods or CC to see if the mod has been updated to be compatible with the new patch or EP/GP.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • kurisubrkurisubr Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanks so much for this thread! I've been trying to figure out the Camera Tilt controls for a while now, and this is the first thread i've found that has it! Very useful and informative. Thanks a bunch! :)
  • KELLYKENNEDYKELLYKENNEDY Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    I am new to mac book and I have got a mac book pro with retina display, it was for my birthday just gone, and when I play the sims 4 the fan seem to run more and it seem too get hot, is this normal. As when I work on my mac normally such as surfing the net or writing, it never gets hot I would love for someone to help me with this I know for a fact that the fan shouldn't get so hot quickly.
    This was a problem. Not sure if has been fixed with the latest set of patches or not.
    I am new to mac book and I have got a mac book pro with retina display, it was for my birthday just gone, and when I play the sims 4 the fan seem to run more and it seem too get hot, is this normal. As when I work on my mac normally such as surfing the net or writing, it never gets hot I would love for someone to help me with this I know for a fact that the fan shouldn't get so hot quickly.

The fan doesn't get hot, the fan kicks in to cool down your Mac which is getting hot. Gaming on a computer is very intensive and demands pretty much all the power your machine has. So long as you allow air to circulate beneath your Mac, by raising it a centimetre or so off the surface, and don't block the vents at the back below the hinge, you should be fine. You don't say which Mac you have so I don't know how well it can handle the game.

There does seem to have been increased heat and therefore fan usage with TS4, compared to TS3, on some Macs as Tremayne has pointed out.
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > KELLYKENNEDY wrote: »
    >
    > I am new to mac book and I have got a mac book pro with retina display, it was for my birthday just gone, and when I play the sims 4 the fan seem to run more and it seem too get hot, is this normal. As when I work on my mac normally such as surfing the net or writing, it never gets hot I would love for someone to help me with this I know for a fact that the fan shouldn't get so hot quickly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The fan doesn't get hot, the fan kicks in to cool down your Mac which is getting hot. Gaming on a computer is very intensive and demands pretty much all the power your machine has. So long as you allow air to circulate beneath your Mac, by raising it a centimetre or so off the surface, and don't block the vents at the back below the hinge, you should be fine. You don't say which Mac you have so I don't know how well it can handle the game.
    >
    > There does seem to have been increased heat and therefore fan usage with TS4, compared to TS3, on some Macs as Tremayne has pointed out.

Thank you so much I shall get my mac a cooling fan :) I have Mac pro with retina display the new mac book pro that not long just come out it was for my birthday. But thank you again :) I really apprecate the help :) I just tend to worry since my old windows used to get really hot even without the fans being covered.
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > I am new to mac book and I have got a mac book pro with retina display, it was for my birthday just gone, and when I play the sims 4 the fan seem to run more and it seem too get hot, is this normal. As when I work on my mac normally such as surfing the net or writing, it never gets hot I would love for someone to help me with this I know for a fact that the fan shouldn't get so hot quickly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The fan doesn't get hot, the fan kicks in to cool down your Mac which is getting hot. Gaming on a computer is very intensive and demands pretty much all the power your machine has. So long as you allow air to circulate beneath your Mac, by raising it a centimetre or so off the surface, and don't block the vents at the back below the hinge, you should be fine. You don't say which Mac you have so I don't know how well it can handle the game.
    >
    > There does seem to have been increased heat and therefore fan usage with TS4, compared to TS3, on some Macs as Tremayne has pointed out.

Thank you so much I shall get my mac a cooling fan :) I have Mac pro with retina display the new mac book pro that not long just come out it was for my birthday. But thank you again :) I really apprecate the help :) I just tend to worry since my old windows used to get really hot even without the fans being covered.

Yes but which MacBook Pro? 13", entry level 15" or high end 15"? A cooling fan won't do much as they're designed for PC laptops with vents on the bottom. All you have to do is sit your MBP on a couple of DVD cases. The aluminium casing is designed to dissipate the heat away from the logic board. And the vent is along the screen hinge. Whatever you do, never put your Mac in one of those ridiculous plastic casings. They're fine for the screen (unless you're in an extremely humid atmosphere) but not for the bottom. They can cook, especially when running intense apps like The Sims :)

apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes but which MacBook Pro? 13", entry level 15" or high end 15"? A cooling fan won't do much as they're designed for PC laptops with vents on the bottom. All you have to do is sit your MBP on a couple of DVD cases. The aluminium casing is designed to dissipate the heat away from the logic board. And the vent is along the screen hinge. Whatever you do, never put your Mac in one of those ridiculous plastic casings. They're fine for the screen (unless you're in an extremely humid atmosphere) but not for the bottom. They can cook, especially when running intense apps like The Sims

Ahh I get you, I have a mac 13" I'm not sure on the high end part of it as I'm still finding my way around it hahah, if the case with cooling fan, then I won't bother and just keep it on my lap but aired at the same time :)
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0167.B02
    SMC Version (system): 2.28f6

Im not sure if that helps at all lol Only have just found where to find the model hahah x
    edited April 2015
    That's fine. The 13" have a single fan, the 15" have two fans. Dual fans are more efficient at cooling but that is necessary on the 15" because they are more powerful so generate more heat. Your Mac will happily cool itself but DON'T put it on your lap, you're stopping the air circulate underneath. You need to raise it, that's why I suggested the DVD cases. Look after your Mac, she's precious :)

And never install cleanup apps. So many Windows users who migrate over to Mac install them because they're used to having to use them. They're not necessary on a Mac and can cause more problems than they solve.
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > That's fine. The 13" have a single fan, the 15" have two fans. Dual fans are more efficient at cooling but that is necessary on the 15" because they are more powerful so generate more heat. Your Mac will happily cool itself but DON'T put it on your lap, you're stopping the air circulate underneath. You need to raise it, that's why I suggested the DVD cases. Look after your Mac, she's precious

Ahh thats ok then :) oh I'm looking after her alright, she's been my baby for two weeks now hehe. also I was wondering will the sims 3 play ok on it as I have to keep getting my laptop out for it and thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it :) <3
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > That's fine. The 13" have a single fan, the 15" have two fans. Dual fans are more efficient at cooling but that is necessary on the 15" because they are more powerful so generate more heat. Your Mac will happily cool itself but DON'T put it on your lap, you're stopping the air circulate underneath. You need to raise it, that's why I suggested the DVD cases. Look after your Mac, she's precious

Ahh thats ok then :) oh I'm looking after her alright, she's been my baby for two weeks now hehe. also I was wondering will the sims 3 play ok on it as I have to keep getting my laptop out for it and thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it :)

Probably not :( The newer Intel graphics aren't supported and there are reports of the game just not opening at all. Head over to the TS3 Mac forum and have a look. There are loads of helpful threads and explanations as to why TS3 performs so appallingly on Macs, no matter what Mac you have.

apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Probably not The newer Intel graphics aren't supported and there are reports of the game just not opening at all. Head over to the TS3 Mac forum and have a look. There are loads of helpful threads and explanations as to why TS3 performs so appallingly on Macs, no matter what Mac you have.

I think i will just continue with, My sims 4 and download cc on here for it :) That's if it can handle the cc lol
  • JessEvaJessEva Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm thinking of buying the game for my Macbook pro with Retina Display. But, I am not sure whether I will have enough memory for it. I have 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM & 128 GB of flash storage. I do not want to purchase the game until I definitely know I have enough storage as the game will be a waste of money otherwise. Thank you!
    JessEva wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying the game for my Macbook pro with Retina Display. But, I am not sure whether I will have enough memory for it. I have 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM & 128 GB of flash storage. I do not want to purchase the game until I definitely know I have enough storage as the game will be a waste of money otherwise. Thank you!

128Gb really isn't very much, especially if you keep photos and music on your Mac. I have Outdoor Retreat and Get To Work, no CC and my game is taking up nearly 13Gb of hard drive space.
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > JessEva wrote: »
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying the game for my Macbook pro with Retina Display. But, I am not sure whether I will have enough memory for it. I have 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM & 128 GB of flash storage. I do not want to purchase the game until I definitely know I have enough storage as the game will be a waste of money otherwise. Thank you!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > 128Gb really isn't very much, especially if you keep photos and music on your Mac. I have Outdoor Retreat and Get To Work, no CC and my game is taking up nearly 13Gb of hard drive space.

I have mac book pro with retina dispaly. I have only iTunes and little music on it, I also have sims 4 get to work out door retreat and many cc on my game and Witt runs smoothly I haven't had any problems with my mac book and even with this it runs amaziigly

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

I am sure you will have n problems running sims 4 the only thing, i would sugest to you is..NOT to put SIMS 3 on mac, i tried and it never worked so i am taking advantage with sims 4 good luck
  • panda_timeloadpanda_timeload Posts: 89 Member
    > @KELLYKENNEDY said:
    > I am sure you will have n problems running sims 4 the only thing, i would sugest to you is..NOT to put SIMS 3 on mac, i tried and it never worked so i am taking advantage with sims 4 good luck

I use Sims 3 on my mac, all it did was make it so I couldn't use Safari (To laggy) other than that, it didn't really do anything.
    original.gif
    Sims 3 does not run well on a laptop. Let me repeat this again. Sims 3 does not run well on a newer Macbook laptop. It runs on the iMac or older MacBooks that do not have the Intel Iris graphics cards. Or if you Bootcamp your Mac. There is a Mac Sims 3 section that has a wonderful tips and tricks thread stickied right at the top for your convenience.
  • xnatalieeaaxxnatalieeaax Posts: 3 New Member
    edited May 2015
    I can't use cmd-shift-control! Does someone has a problem like me? Help!!
    I can't use cmd-shift-control! Does someone has a problem like me? Help!!

The cheat console is CTRL + Shift + C. If that is what you are referring to. If you are using the correct keys and it is not working, your problem is addressed in the help/bug thread -
    The cheat console can be opened by holding down CTRL, Shift and C together. If this is not working for you check your keyboard configuration in System Preferences, have you changed it in the past? Have you changed something in System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard? Try setting up a new user account on your Mac, playing the game in the new account and bringing up the cheat console. The cheat console is coded into the game, there is no reason why it shouldn't work unless the user has changed some settings or has software installed which may be conflicting with the keyboard settings. If all else fails, try plugging in or bluetoothing another keyboard to your Mac./
    apple-signature.png
  • xnatalieeaaxxnatalieeaax Posts: 3 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > xnatalieeaax wrote: »
    >
    > I can't use cmd-shift-control! Does someone has a problem like me? Help!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The cheat console is CTRL + Shift + C. If that is what you are referring to. If you are using the correct keys and it is not working, your problem is addressed in the help/bug thread -
    > The cheat console can be opened by holding down CTRL, Shift and C together. If this is not working for you check your keyboard configuration in System Preferences, have you changed it in the past? Have you changed something in System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard? Try setting up a new user account on your Mac, playing the game in the new account and bringing up the cheat console. The cheat console is coded into the game, there is no reason why it shouldn't work unless the user has changed some settings or has software installed which may be conflicting with the keyboard settings. If all else fails, try plugging in or bluetoothing another keyboard to your Mac./

Thank you!!! :smile: yes it is CTRL + Shift + C! i use CMD + Shift + C, that's why it wouldn't work out.
  • nodoubtfan87nodoubtfan87 Posts: 4 New Member
    ive been playing sims on my mac for a couple days now, ( a downloaded version ) but now the motherlode and rosebud or anything like that doesnt work ( i did the testingcheats true ) People are telling me to repair the game, i dont know how to do that. do you think repairing the game will help? how do i do that? if u know plz tell me :smile:
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    to repair the game you need to go in Origin and right click (2 finger tap) on the box and the menu pops up and click Repair game.

ive been playing sims on my mac for a couple days now, ( a downloaded version ) but now the motherlode and rosebud or anything like that doesnt work ( i did the testingcheats true ) People are telling me to repair the game, i dont know how to do that. do you think repairing the game will help? how do i do that? if u know plz tell me :smile:
  • JollySimmerJollySimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    Are there any hotkeys for going between floors on a mac?