Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it worth it ?

Kristen3883Kristen3883 Posts: 33 Member
Ok so I have been simming since 2000. However in 2010 we got a Mac. It ran TS3 pretty ok not too many problems. But when I started getting the xpacs, that's when it all when to crap. I love it but don't own a PC, and I'm not going to buy one just to play TS4! If I had an extra $700 lying around....then maybe, but I don't . So I wanted to know if it is worth it to purchase TS4 for the Mac. My daughter is getting older and always wanted to play TS3, but was too young, and now she wants TS4. All the Mac simmers out there please answer this honestly....Is it worth me buying TS4 for a Mac, it is it the same old problems from the TS3 days ? Crashing, force quitting, lag so bad you can't play, remembering to save every 2 minutes "just in case" it crashes...you get my point. Anyway thanks on advance for the input! Oh and @BluebellFlora I would love your advice especially since I have communicated with you before (YEARS ago) and I know you will be honest!

Comments

• simflowerrsimflowerr Posts: 57 Member
    I have TS4 installed onto my Macbook Air, and it runs very smoothly. I've never experienced major lag, every so often it will lag but only for about 1 min. I have CC installed and it still runs smoothly.
    ✿ simflowerr ✿
    ✿ Origin ID- simflowerr ✿
  • nikkifromthemittennikkifromthemitten Posts: 21 Member
    I have a macbook pro retina 2012 and it works great!
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited April 2015
    @Kristen3883 Similar to The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and SimCity, if you had TS4 on Windows, you also get the Mac version for free. According to what Mac users are saying, I've haven't heard a single Mac user complain about performance problems on OS X. If you have a Mac, by all means get The Sims 4 on your Mac. TS4 is expensive costing $60-$80 to purchase for the base game plus $20 for Outdoor Retreat and $40 for Get to Work but I do like TS4.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Ok so I have been simming since 2000. However in 2010 we got a Mac. It ran TS3 pretty ok not too many problems. But when I started getting the xpacs, that's when it all when to crap. I love it but don't own a PC, and I'm not going to buy one just to play TS4! If I had an extra $700 lying around....then maybe, but I don't . So I wanted to know if it is worth it to purchase TS4 for the Mac. My daughter is getting older and always wanted to play TS3, but was too young, and now she wants TS4. All the Mac simmers out there please answer this honestly....Is it worth me buying TS4 for a Mac, it is it the same old problems from the TS3 days ? Crashing, force quitting, lag so bad you can't play, remembering to save every 2 minutes "just in case" it crashes...you get my point. Anyway thanks on advance for the input! Oh and @BluebellFlora I would love your advice especially since I have communicated with you before (YEARS ago) and I know you will be honest!

Hey :D

As others are saying, it is very smooth on Macs, mainly because the game is actually natively written for OS X, rather than the awful Cider wrap we got for TS3. I still play TS3, and am still building worlds in CAW too, so I flit between both of them - when I have time!

Which Mac do you have? There are reported issues since the March patch and for those with Get To Work installed - slightly more lag, Sims sometimes freezing motionless, and longer loading times.
    apple-signature.png
  • Rud3BwoyzRud3Bwoyz Posts: 288 Member

Hey :D

As others are saying, it is very smooth on Macs, mainly because the game is actually natively written for OS X, rather than the awful Cider wrap we got for TS3. I still play TS3, and am still building worlds in CAW too, so I flit between both of them - when I have time!

Which Mac do you have? There are reported issues since the March patch and for those with Get To Work installed - slightly more lag, Sims sometimes freezing motionless, and longer loading times.

i have to agree here with my buddy,it works great tho i am on a high end imac 2013 with a ssd everything loads up within 6-12 seconds for me graphics all on ultra
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited April 2015
    I have a 2009 Macbook Pro and it runs great! :D I have the base game, outdoor retreat and get to work and it still runs beautifully. I do run the Sims 3 on my laptop too, but yeah it lags a bit. Sims 4 works a treat though.
    giphy.gif
  • PixelSmilePixelSmile Posts: 471 Member
    I have the late 2013 macbook pro retina. Cost me a lot and I was worried about it running sims 4 as the sims 3 is just glitchy as anything on it. However sims 4 runs beautifully on it and looks gorgeous on my retina display :)
    logo_studio-ghibli.jpg
  • jotodd328jotodd328 Posts: 45 Member
    TS4 runs perfectly on my Mac. No issues here. I would recommend :)
  • mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    I would recommend as well. I have a Macbook Air with 8GB memory and an i7 processing chip. Works like a dream
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
    Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
  • KininaKinina Posts: 124 Member
    I have a 2011 Macbook Pro (2.2 GHz i7 with 8GB memory) and it runs like a heavenly dream. I was terrified to up my game settings expecting lag or worse... crashing, like TS3 which eventually stopped running for more than 10 minutes. *eye roll* My settings are on high right now and not one problem. I don’t currently have any plans to play with CC/Mods. I’m still slightly traumatized from TS3 - it’s too soon lol. But I have played TS2, TS3 and now TS4 on a Mac and have to honestly say - though I have my issues with TS4 - it beats all of its predecessors as far as rendering and running efficiently. If they had stuck with the crappy Cider route I would not be buying ever again.
  • efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    I have a mid-2012, fairly basic MacBook Pro, and the game runs very smoothly! I was quite surprised - my mb doesn't heat up too much either, which makes me happy because when I play TS3 my fans go mental!! This is me playing with GTW installed too, so I'm pleasantly surprised how well the game works! It is running on low and medium settings (mostly because I don't want to up them and screw it up!!) but that doesn't take anything away from the game imo - I didn't expect to, but I am really loving it!! :)
  • Kristen3883Kristen3883 Posts: 33 Member
    I want to thank everyone for the comments and I do apologize for it taking me all these months to get back to you, but ya know life (or whatever lol)! I am happy with the input everyone has given me. I actually do have a PC now, so I will probably be purchasing and downloading for the PC and THEN the MAC, simply because as Kinina said, "I'm still slightly traumatized from TS3". And for @BluebellFlora MAC specs are as follows:
    OS X Version 10.9.5
    Processor 3.06 GHz Intel core i3
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    I don't have Yosemite as of yet, but I will probably be getting it soon. I would love to share my simming memories, and make new ones with my daughter (who's 8 now)! Although the first "The Sims" game came out when I was a teen, I became addicted immediately! And again, thank everyone for the comments and suggestions!