Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop smart people please! Xo

I have a person wanting to sell me a Hewett parckard pavilion laptop, with 8GB, intel core of i5 and with premium graphics? I have no idea what that means. The person said they had no problems running the sims 4. I have just recently brought the new expansion pack 'get to work' will that run fine on this laptop? EEEP HELP PLEASE.

Comments

• simflowerrsimflowerr Posts: 57 Member
    It should run fine on your laptop.
    ✿ simflowerr ✿
    ✿ Origin ID- simflowerr ✿
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Do you know the clock speed of the processor and the what the actual graphics card is?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yes, what kinda graphics card is it specifically? Other than that, it should run quite fine.
    Post edited by DeKay on
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited April 2015
    The graphics card is going to make a huge different - we really need to know what that is :)

When asking for laptop help for gaming, these are the info bits that are critical:

CPU
    RAM (amount)
    GPU (Graphics Card)

Type of HD is also good to know.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    Does the laptop have a good fan system? Does it get really hot when you play video games?
    8GB ram is great, processor is fine. Whats the graphics card?
    Aussie_Simmer
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Just make sure you have a cooling pad with fan to set your laptop on, mine would get really hot playing sims and you do not want to burn up your laptop. :#
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Courts3Courts3 Posts: 38 New Member
    I will find out about Graphics card in morning! So so happy to read your comments, I think I've found a laptop I can buy! Finally! Thanks guys :)
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Why is this person selling the laptop? How old is the laptop?
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I repair laptops and tablets for a living, so here is some advice on gaming on a laptop:

MOST laptops have an integrated graphics card, meaning it is part of the motherboard. It is not something that is upgrade-able, and if it dies, you need a new motherboard. Expensive if you do not have the warranty plan. The gaming laptops that do have a separate graphics cards tend to overheat, even if they have two heatsinks and fans. This is just going to happen; there is no room for proper airflow in a laptop. If you go with a gaming laptop like this, I STRONGLY recommend a cooling pad and keeping your fans clean of debris. You may think your home is clean, but you would not believe how much gets into your laptop. Especially if you have pets or are a smoker.

Also, really look at the unit before purchase. We had one model back in the day that had a huge overheating issue because of a terrible design flaw. The fan vents were in the back of the unit instead of the side, and when the screen was open, it blocked the vent completely. We had a lot of very angry clients, but there was nothing that could be done, other than to recommend a cooling pad.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    I put a add up on GumTree and this person offered me their laptop, I'm assuming he wants to sell it for money. I'm also not quite sure how old the laptop is I will have to find that out today.
    @Piperbird1 thanks for your advise! May I ask how much a cooling pad would be? I have pets and I am unfortunately a smoker.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2015
    sorry @Courts3 i would never buy a used laptop for gaming. since a card cant be upgraded in laptops if it was ever misused or overheated or design defect you wouldn't not until it was too late. think of it like trying to avoid buying a lemon car. and if you like this person then for sure dont buy it. better to keep the relationship. most people dont know how to handle laptops well so its not like it im even suggesting this person is hiding something they may not know themselves

another thing if its older then one year again the wear and tear is another big negative. laptops only have limited lifespans.

sorry for sure its always a waste to buy unless they are asking for like 50 bucks and the laptop has a dedicated card and its not 2 years old.
    @ceejay402 this person said the laptop is a second generation i5. The person is asking $400. This is the cheapest offer I've been given and I'm just about to give up on searching for the 'perfect laptop' to play sims. So frustrating lol. The person said that the laptop had no problem running the sims 4, I mostly just want it to use it for the new expansion pack 'get to work'. I'm praying that everything will run smoothly on this laptop. I'm supposed to be picking up tomorrow. I think I'm at my last option here. The laptop is a Hewett Packard Pavilion Laptop, Second Generation, intel core of i5 with 8GB and Premium Graphics. Please tell me this will be okay to run the base game and ONE expansion pack, (Get to work).
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited April 2015
    Courts3 wrote: »
    @ceejay402 this person said the laptop is a second generation i5. The person is asking $400. This is the cheapest offer I've been given and I'm just about to give up on searching for the 'perfect laptop' to play sims. So frustrating lol. The person said that the laptop had no problem running the sims 4, I mostly just want it to use it for the new expansion pack 'get to work'. I'm praying that everything will run smoothly on this laptop. I'm supposed to be picking up tomorrow. I think I'm at my last option here. The laptop is a Hewett Packard Pavilion Laptop, Second Generation, intel core of i5 with 8GB and Premium Graphics. Please tell me this will be okay to run the base game and ONE expansion pack, (Get to work).
    Nobody can tell you unless we know what graphics card it has. If it is an intel chip then it will probably struggle. And also what ceejay said, laptops wear and tear after a certain period of time, if this laptop has been under heavy load for long periods of time and has had high temperatures then its most likely worn out quicker.
    I would never trust a used laptop.. because they are not as easy to fix as a desktop.
    Also screens can be an issue in a used laptop, cracks and dead pixels.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

sorry courts3 like chester says you do need to know card info but i can already tell you a second generation i5 is old for a laptop. its at least past its peak gaming lifespan because 2nd generation was released about 4 years http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?make=Intel&model=Core i5 Mobile&type=Laptop Processor so $400 is high :(

3 years for laptop is a long lifespan if its been used for gaming. so year 4 its really in its decline. and not to mention hard drive.

you could get a new laptop with just an intel chip for that cost, it will do only ok on low-medium settings depending on how strong the processor is for maybe a year with just GTW.

i know its not easy to find affordable gaming specs. saving more is something i strongly encourage you could also try ebay for desktops. many of us can help with selecting options.

but i really really would take a pass on this. i myself havent even seen 2nd generation i5s in sims 3 tech forum in forever. just too old.
    edited April 2015
    ok i just want to show you a laptop option, new :) and has a dedicated card 840m decent and it should be able to handle at least a few EPs on medium settings and is 200 more then your budget. this is how close you are to new tech, and new tech matters with laptops the 5th generation runs significantly cooler and heat is the biggest issue with laptops
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314807

i should also add the higher you can stretch the budget the better the components get and then the better gaming experience but this isnt a bad option just look at all reviews for any design flaws. newegg is famous for its informed gamers reviews. i only noticed a few mentioning bloatware which is a hassle but doesnt convey design defect to me.
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    ok i just want to show you a laptop option, new :) and has a dedicated card 840m decent and it should be able to handle at least a few EPs on medium settings and is 200 more then your budget. this is how close you are to new tech, and new tech matters with laptops the 5th generation runs significantly cooler and heat is the biggest issue with laptops
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314807

i should also add the higher you can stretch the budget the better the components get and then the better gaming experience but this isnt a bad option just look at all reviews for any design flaws. newegg is famous for its informed gamers reviews. i only noticed a few mentioning bloatware which is a hassle but doesnt convey design defect to me.
    Bloat ware is an easy fix :)
    I agree with ceejay.. even a low end new laptop is going to be far better than a used laptop, there is just no telling what you will get in a used one, you could end up with a lemon. Might get 1 weeks of use and it could die on you, Just no way of knowing.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

My laptop I'm using at the moment is a old compaq that was used before me with only 4GB and runs the sims 4 fine (won't obviously run the other expansion pack) graphics are not to good BUT runs it fine. So wouldnt the other laptop run the sims and the expansion pack even better with 8GB and premium graphics? @ceejay402
    The laptop I'm using at the moment- Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB
    The laptop I'm using at the moment- Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB
    So your willing to spend money on a used laptop (that could break soon after you buy it.) that MIGHT play the game a little better? It's not smart thinking.
    A pc (desktop or laptop) is an investment, spend money now and that's less you will have to spend in the future. At least with a new laptop you have peace of mind with a warranty... you don't get that with a used laptop.
    Also if this laptop has integrated graphics (which im thinking it would.) Then the game is still not going to play properly and will not be able to handle expansions without trouble.
    If it were me I would be taking ceejay402 Advice and saving just a little more.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

i promise i saw that you posted 8gb of ram for the used old laptop and that is not a factor that outweighs the second gen i5. also you can get away with less with gaming. 8gb is ideal but not mandatory plus the laptop i linked to has 8gb :)

im getting from you that you really want this to work. i understand that but you came here for advice and im just trying to tell you someone who has been for sometime now troubleshooting specs for sims this isnt a good investment in fact it sounds like a lemon to me.

if stretching your budget is too hard i promise wasting $400 on something thats a dub would be worse.
    @ceejay402 the graphics card is a Intel(R) HD graphics, is that right? That's what the person has sent me of the graphics card.
    @ceejay402 I appreciate your advise, thank you. You have defiantly got me convinced that this is not a good idea lol. Tomororw morning I plan to go to DickSmith and get a 12 month interest free laptop (I pick out a laptop I want and pay it off for 12 months). Thanks all again!
    The laptop I own now is 4GB, the laptop this person is offering me is 8GB (sorry for the confusion haha)
    edited April 2015
    @ceejay402 I appreciate your advise, thank you. You have defiantly got me convinced that this is not a good idea lol. Tomororw morning I plan to go to DickSmith and get a 12 month interest free laptop (I pick out a laptop I want and pay it off for 12 months). Thanks all again!
    I would Avoid DickSmith.. they do not sell proper gaming laptops.
    But since you are probably going to buy from them I will look online and tell you what's best.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Sorry cannot post the dicksmith links..
    ACER Aspire 15.6" V3-572G-55FT W8.1 Notebook Will handle medium settings, If you want something better then its going to cost more.
    The Toshiba Satellite 17.3" S70t-B00E W8.1 Notebook Will handle ultra settings.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide