Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else having trouble finding suspects in the detective career path?

I was able to do the intro case where I looked for clues and arrested someone but now I'm on my first case and I can't find the plum suspect. A red head female teen with jeans and a blouse. I have gotten dozens of clues, been promoted to Corporal but still nothing every time I go out to look for them. It is driving me insane.

Comments

• Jcherry927Jcherry927 Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes! I'm having the same problem! It's super annoying! Idk what the issue is... I issue the APB, but there is NO one fitting that description on the whole lot... I'm getting so annoyed!
  • Jcherry927Jcherry927 Posts: 2 New Member
    Well now I found a suspect that semi-matched the clues... :/ and I interrogated her until she confessed... So weird... Are the clues off just to make you think around them? I'm so confused...
  • kozitk1kozitk1 Posts: 1 New Member
    I kept going out and looking for the person who didn't exist, went back to the station and tried to mess with the clues, went back out... finally found someone that was matching the description, tried to arrest them but got some thing about it being a wrongful arrest and then I GOT FIRED. WHAT?!
  • TurnedBattyTurnedBatty Posts: 120 Member
    Yep. I ended up leaving the career after the 5th unsuccessful apb and was demoted to corporal from detective when I rejoined
  • SulfateSulfate Posts: 9 New Member
    Same problem here. I've been stuck on the same case for 5 work days because I keep issuing APB's and still can't find the suspect. On the second day, I found someone who matched the clues perfectly, but when I arrested her, it said that I did a false arrest on the wrong person!!
  • MineAlwaysMineAlways Posts: 10 New Member
    I am stick too I arrested the only one I found that matched the description and I interrogated him and it said he was not the suspect and to release him....
  • StymieStymie Posts: 169 Member
    Same problem here. My description was a female suspect with grey hair, which there is only one on the entire lot. Tried to arrest her but the game said it wasn't her...
    Intel Core i7 4790k| 8GB Ram | MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | MSI Z97-Gaming 5 Mobo | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse|
    Steam Profile (Feel free to add me but leave a comment first)
    13VpVgn.jpg
    Origin: StymieG
  • MahpellaMahpella Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 2015
    I've manage to "solve" it :(. Dismiss + get a job once again = new case.
    Post edited by Mahpella on
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    I noticed a couple times- when they say the description is jeans- they are not "blue jeans" hopefully that helps some of you out. Also make sure you are processing all your evidence. I wait until I have at least 7 clues before I arrest someone. I think its a little misleading when they just say jeans. It doesn't always mean pants either- it could be shorts. The clues I usually get are - 1) the trait 2) the age (young adult, teen, or adult) 3) shorts or pants 4) slacks (kakis) or jeans(can be any color jeans) 5) long sleeve shirt, blouse, or tank 6) male or female 7) hair color. Be on the lookout for all of those. You don't have to issue an APB with just a couple clues. You get the APB option after like 2 clues, but thats not enough. From what I have seen with my cases- the game goes out of its way to make multiple people look guilty without all the clues. Especially if you don't know the sex of the suspect. I have seen females who matched perfectly- right down to the hair and everything- but the suspect was male. I am by no means a "pro" just sharing what I have seen. I am currently a Corporal and have yet to falsely arrest anyone. Hopefully this helps out some of you! Happy Simming!! :)
  • Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited April 2015
    After interrogating I get a message to release the innocent suspect. Everyone at the park was pointing to her...and it does say jeans, jacket, grey hair and elder. Hmm. There was one person who match the description but was bald.

EDIT: It was the bald guy...and I had asked him where the suspect was and he pointed me to the woman above. Gah. Is there any theories to how to get the suspects to confess quickly in interrogation? Do we just hit them with evidence or a bit of good and bad cop too?
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2015
    can anyone that is having this issue try the following and report back results for others:

-important :) if you have anything in your mods folder pull the whole folder to the desktop and test again
    -if that doesnt help try repairing the game, close game open origin under my games right click on sims 4 icon and select option

and if that doesnt help try resetting game data files
    to reset your sims 4 files pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:

files to move back (but again test each move)
    saves - game save
    options.ini - game settings
    screenshots
    custom music
    mods folder
    tray folder - all your saved builds and sims

After interrogating I get a message to release the innocent suspect. Everyone at the park was pointing to her...but it said jeans, jacket, grey hair and elder. Hmm. There was one person who match the description but was bald.
    interesting! once i kept picking the wrong criminal and the game wouldn't let me make an arrest.
    s_stutler wrote: »
    I noticed a couple times- when they say the description is jeans- they are not "blue jeans" hopefully that helps some of you out. Also make sure you are processing all your evidence. I wait until I have at least 7 clues before I arrest someone. I think its a little misleading when they just say jeans. It doesn't always mean pants either- it could be shorts. The clues I usually get are - 1) the trait 2) the age (young adult, teen, or adult) 3) shorts or pants 4) slacks (kakis) or jeans(can be any color jeans) 5) long sleeve shirt, blouse, or tank 6) male or female 7) hair color. Be on the lookout for all of those. You don't have to issue an APB with just a couple clues. You get the APB option after like 2 clues, but thats not enough. From what I have seen with my cases- the game goes out of its way to make multiple people look guilty without all the clues. Especially if you don't know the sex of the suspect. I have seen females who matched perfectly- right down to the hair and everything- but the suspect was male. I am by no means a "pro" just sharing what I have seen. I am currently a Corporal and have yet to falsely arrest anyone. Hopefully this helps out some of you! Happy Simming!! :)

very helpful hints and i too try to gather as much evidence before going out. makes it simpler but i have also started to notice the criminal is typically for me someone ive never seen in town before. hope that doesn't ruin it for others
  • pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    I had one guy wrongly arrested one day and couldn't bring him back to the station, and days later he was arrested and convicted. Left me utterly confused lol
    I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    I haven't had any issues like that. I've solved 5 cases, but I have noticed that every suspect I've arrested have been female. I was frustrated over the situation, but thankful that my problems are not worse than that.

One glitch I seemed to have was I arrested my suspect, went back to the station and they weren't there with me. I went back to the location to arrest the game took me else somewhere completely. So I headed back to the station and did some busy work. The next morning when my sim left home and arrived at work, the suspect was with me so I just interrogated her then and locked her up.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • mjsegalinemjsegaline Posts: 49 Member
    It's not a bug. You aren't getting enough clues. There are 6 possible clues in your notebook. You need to gather more clues at a scene then just what the objectIves say. I have never arrested the wrong person.
  • 2kittymama2kittymama Posts: 111 Member
    After interrogating I get a message to release the innocent suspect. Everyone at the park was pointing to her...and it does say jeans, jacket, grey hair and elder. Hmm. There was one person who match the description but was bald.

EDIT: It was the bald guy...and I had asked him where the suspect was and he pointed me to the woman above. Gah. Is there any theories to how to get the suspects to confess quickly in interrogation? Do we just hit them with evidence or a bit of good and bad cop too?

IMO, it varies from sim to sim. I start out with one of each interaction. Usually one gives a medium increase, one gives a small increase, and one gives a small decrease. I go back and forth between the first two, because I've noticed that if you only do one interaction (Good/Bad Cop, Evidence), it actually starts to decrease. I hope that made sense.
  • nonyabizznazznonyabizznazz Posts: 693 Member
    Thanks for the tip 2kitty worked for me!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2015
    Getting clues like fingerprints help in some cases. I know it's a lot to check but check outside, too. You may missing something that gives a better clue when you analyze your evidence. Like I had over ten things to analyze in one case. That is very time consuming but I didn't want to issue an APB (it said I could) and get the wrong person. Like someone said five clues in your notebook isn't enough, you should try to get seven to help narrow it down when out in the field. And it helps if you don't leave the scene and go back to the station but question a few more witnesses even look for more clues because it will always say just get five but try to get more. Don't forget to add the clues to your map.

ETA: One was a lady, gray hair, short hair, short sleeves at a bar where the game sent me. But she was the bartender. She fit the description but I was inside, so I didn't try to arrest her but went outside where the real criminal was standing a big down the street on the sidewalk. lol And if you get traits, then pay attention to how some are walking or whatever, it narrows it down.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BlastboomBlastboom Posts: 175 Member
    What can also help is getting that reward where you can tell their traits just by introducing yourself. It doesn't take that many points and it really does help out.
    Blastboom wrote: »
    What can also help is getting that reward where you can tell their traits just by introducing yourself. It doesn't take that many points and it really does help out.

Good idea.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MahpellaMahpella Posts: 9 New Member
    I usually use a "Bad cop" (telling some stories about the jail etc.) + all evidence (without no-existing evidence).
    It seems in my game it also varies on the suspect. Sometimes good cop works faster, sometimes bad cop works faster.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
    Yesterday I wanted to make darn sure the suspect was the guilty, so I had one clue that could tell me the difference. So, instead of jumping to a conclusion I made a friendly introduction, clicked on Get To Know (which can tell you a trait) and it worked! lol The clues all matched, she hated kids...and that was the way I was able to arrest the right one.
    Sometimes you do get to know a different trait and you'd need more evidence. But that's one of my favorite interactions, I'm not sure why though. I just love being able to find out about a sim before I date. (even though knowing others traits aren't a new thing)
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
    Sometimes you do get to know a different trait and you'd need more evidence. But that's one of my favorite interactions, I'm not sure why though. I just love being able to find out about a sim before I date. (even though knowing others traits aren't a new thing)

It helps in this game if you ask because sometimes even with five or more clues, it was the one that could tell me the difference between two Sims. I only had six clues and he was getting too tired to keep analyzing and putting clues on the board. So asking Get to Know can sometimes help with the right trait, if it looks like two Sims are sort of the same general description. Like female, short sleeves, blond hair, slacks, confident, .....hates kids...etc.
  • nonyabizznazznonyabizznazz Posts: 693 Member
    I've only had trouble finding the correct suspect one time. The clues pointed to a female blonde geek sim wearing a short skirt. I sent out several APBs but there was never a sim matching this description at the locations.

I eventually noticed that there was always this one sim that was present even though they did not match the description (she didn't have blonde hair and she was in the princess leia outfit). I did the "get to know" interaction with her and found out she was a geek so I arrested her and turned out to be correct.

This is what I think happened. Due to the fact that random townies love to pick the most hideous outfits for themselves, when I'm playing I do have a tendency to take them into CAS and edit their look. I'm guessing I had done this with this townie but the game never registered the change in appearance and the game still thought she was wearing her old clothes and hair.

So FYI if you are serial townie makeoverer like me it could cause you to have issues identifying the correct sims.