Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac users, will it be your first time?

For all my fellow Mac users out there eagerly awaiting the release tomorrow, how many of you will be playing for the first time? I'm curious because I boot camped my iMac to play but seldom do because I HATE Windows and somehow there is already some program that has inserted itself onto the OS that I can't delete.

Anyway, how many of you will be playing for the first time?
Go Raps!
canada-flag-tiny.gif

Comments

• KemaraKemara Posts: 6 New Member
    Not me! I've been playing since the original game came out. I loved Sims 3, but as I bought more expansion and stuff packs, it slowed way down. I tried to play this morning, and it took 15 min. from clicking the icon to the loading of my household. After I played for a while, the game locked up completely and I had to restart my iMac. Looking forward to a hopefully smoother Sims 4! I'm going to think of it as a reboot of the franchise.
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,756 Member
    Well what I mean is, will it be your first time playing TS4 :#
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Kemara wrote: »
    Not me! I've been playing since the original game came out. I loved Sims 3, but as I bought more expansion and stuff packs, it slowed way down. I tried to play this morning, and it took 15 min. from clicking the icon to the loading of my household. After I played for a while, the game locked up completely and I had to restart my iMac. Looking forward to a hopefully smoother Sims 4! I'm going to think of it as a reboot of the franchise.

If you go in expecting improvements, you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting something different, you'll have lots of fun :)
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I've boot camped since TS4 Base Game. I won't be deleting my bootcamp partition since I still have 200 GB of HDD space left on my OS X side which is more than enough for this game. Only reason why I won't delete my bootcamp is because I have a lot of things going on in TS4 and TS3 that I don't want to delete and quite honestly, TS3 played better in Win than it did on a Mac. So I'm just going to see what's going on with the Mac version and doing two completely different storylines and I'm going to let the mac version just be strictly vanilla.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @EAfan99 wrote: »
    I've boot camped since TS4 Base Game. I won't be deleting my bootcamp partition since I still have 200 GB of HDD space left on my OS X side which is more than enough for this game. Only reason why I won't delete my bootcamp is because I have a lot of things going on in TS4 and TS3 that I don't want to delete and quite honestly, TS3 played better in Win than it did on a Mac. So I'm just going to see what's going on with the Mac version and doing two completely different storylines and I'm going to let the mac version just be strictly vanilla.

The Mac version of the Sims 3 played horribly because it was a port rather than a native application.
    The Sims 4 is apparently a native application, so you should see better performance, if not the same.

Native OSX apps run with your hardware configurations in mind, so they tend to work better.
    Is TS3 worked at all on my computer I would have never switched over. For that matter, if I had partitioned my iMac before deleting all of my precious cc and stories, I would have done it a long time ago.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @EAfan99 wrote: »

The Mac version of the Sims 3 played horribly because it was a port rather than a native application.
    The Sims 4 is apparently a native application, so you should see better performance, if not the same.

Native OSX apps run with your hardware configurations in mind, so they tend to work better.

Oh okay. I've honestly never had a native mac game before since I just got a mac like last year so I wouldn't know too much about native games.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    Nope. Wouldn't be my first time. But that reminds me to unistall bootcamp later.. Eeeee. :D
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Nope, played on bootcamp.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    It will be my first time if I decide to buy it. Not sure I might wait until others buy it first. No even sure I want it because it is missing so much the Sims 3 has. I just might buy it if others say it works fine on a Mac I am curious. Which gets me into trouble.
  • cholinecholine Posts: 59 Member
    It will be my first time playing it :) I'm very excited!
    Origin ID: burnttoast123456
    candy8 wrote: »
    It will be my first time if I decide to buy it. Not sure I might wait until others buy it first. No even sure I want it because it is missing so much the Sims 3 has. I just might buy it if others say it works fine on a Mac I am curious. Which gets me into trouble.

Honestly, I wouldnt switch. And I did. TS4 is really pretty but there is not nearly as much to do to as there was in TS3. TS3 was infinite, and I didn't even have all the EP. If I could do it again, I would wait until get to work comes out and buy it on a blowout sale.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    candy8 wrote: »

I would try it and see if you like it. Just because other people say they don't like it doesn't mean you won't.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    This will be my first time playing, I was able to play the demo on a friend's computer, hence my avatar, first thing I'm going to do is actually develop a Simself. After that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Either build up a house or explore.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Lettuce GirlLettuce Girl Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2015
    I've been playing Sims since the original version - however when TS4 wasn't released on Mac but then no info on whether the game was in development or not, I might have thrown a bit of a 'hissy fit'. TS3 never played well on my iMac anyway, truth be told. So I sold all my game discs and walked away, vowing never to return. That was until I heard it was definately being released. I haven't bootcamped, so I'm now quite eagerly awaiting an all new experience. I understand a lot has changed (for me, I never bonded with the toddler stage :smiley: ) but I'm looking forward to just seeing where I go with it.
    I've been playing Sims since the original version - however when TS4 wasn't released on Mac but then no info on whether the game was in development or not, I might have thrown a bit of a 'hissy fit'. TS3 never played well on my iMac anyway, truth be told. So I sold all my game discs and walked away, vowing never to return. That was until I heard it was definately being released. I haven't bootcamped, so I'm now quite eagerly awaiting an all new experience. I understand a lot has changed (for me, I never bonded with the toddler stage :smiley: ) but I'm looking forward to just seeing where I go with it.

I honestly never liked toddlers either. It was such a hassle to teach them how to do everything, but at least teaching them something impacted on their transition to childhood. You don't have that in TS4, and the motor skills they learn for example, have no bearing on their functionality as a kid. As far as I know anyway. It's kind of a waste.

That being said, I kinda miss toddlers cause them jumping (literally jumping) from baby to child is so crazy. They also need a pre-teen stage. But that's a thread of another topic.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've been playing on my Boot Camp partition, but I'm getting tired of booting into Windows to play then back into the Mac to get work done. I'll likely be playing a lot more with it right on the Mac. I copied my Sims 4 folder from the Boot Camp drive to my Mac desktop so I'll be ready for tomorrow; I'm going to wait to delete the Boot Camp drive though till I've played through a few times and make sure that it's stable and plays well.

I've been enjoying the game -- yes, it could be better but it's getting there. The fact that we've been getting monthly patches rather than just getting patches right before EP releases (like with Sims 3) is a sign that they really want to make this a good product. And I like the concept of Game Packs to add content that might not be in-depth enough for a full EP treatment (with EP budget/pricing); Outdoor Retreat has been a lot of fun (I've just barely scratched the surface with one family), and I'm looking forward to what might be coming next.

If you're coming straight from Sims 3 the biggest shock to the system will probably be the loading screens -- but when you consider some of the strange routings we had in some worlds loading screens will actually take less time. And you can actually venture pretty far without a loading screen -- it's only when you enter another lot or travel between neighborhoods/towns that you'll encounter the screens. All the "public areas" in the neighborhood, where you'll be able to fish and find collectibles and such, are loading screen free. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »

I honestly never liked toddlers either. It was such a hassle to teach them how to do everything, but at least teaching them something impacted on their transition to childhood. You don't have that in TS4, and the motor skills they learn for example, have no bearing on their functionality as a kid. As far as I know anyway. It's kind of a waste.

That being said, I kinda miss toddlers cause them jumping (literally jumping) from baby to child is so crazy. They also need a pre-teen stage. But that's a thread of another topic.

If you do the aspiration that involves motor skills (Rambunctious Scamp), you do learn Fitness skill faster as an adult. And I don't remember but I think my child Sim was able to start learning Video Game skill after she reached level 10 on Motor skill. Rambunctious Scamp to me seems to be the easiest of the child aspirations, with Social Butterfly the hardest though it can be done if you send your kid out a lot and don't worry about the rest of the family.

I don't miss toddlers near as much as I thought I would -- but if/when we get them back I probably won't take them for granted like I did with Sims 3. And I really would like to see some changes to the Teen stage -- I know it would be way too much programming and probably mess up people's saves if they tried to change the height now, but there needs to be some other ways to distinguish teens from adults and give them a bit more purpose in the game. I'd like to see teens be able to have a savings account where any money they earn in the game (part-time work, selling collectibles, painting, writing, etc.) would go into a separate account and they could either spend that money on items for the house, or take it with them when they move out. It could be a really big feature for a future University EP especially. Also a Teen Hangout that would be off limits to other age groups, where teens could meet other teens easier. At least with one of the recent patches you can now tell the difference in age groups just by mousing over the Sim -- that's helped a bit.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    I've been playing on my Boot Camp partition, but I'm getting tired of booting into Windows to play then back into the Mac to get work done. I'll likely be playing a lot more with it right on the Mac. I copied my Sims 4 folder from the Boot Camp drive to my Mac desktop so I'll be ready for tomorrow; I'm going to wait to delete the Boot Camp drive though till I've played through a few times and make sure that it's stable and plays well.

I've been enjoying the game -- yes, it could be better but it's getting there. The fact that we've been getting monthly patches rather than just getting patches right before EP releases (like with Sims 3) is a sign that they really want to make this a good product. And I like the concept of Game Packs to add content that might not be in-depth enough for a full EP treatment (with EP budget/pricing); Outdoor Retreat has been a lot of fun (I've just barely scratched the surface with one family), and I'm looking forward to what might be coming next.

If you're coming straight from Sims 3 the biggest shock to the system will probably be the loading screens -- but when you consider some of the strange routings we had in some worlds loading screens will actually take less time. And you can actually venture pretty far without a loading screen -- it's only when you enter another lot or travel between neighborhoods/towns that you'll encounter the screens. All the "public areas" in the neighborhood, where you'll be able to fish and find collectibles and such, are loading screen free. B)

For me the loading screens didn't effect me. I definitely thought that CASt was going to be a devastating loss, but it's actually sped things up. I would spend hours trying to develop a great outfit lineup. I do however miss it when building. When you have the perfect sofa but it's lime green is quite annoying.

I think the greatest shock was the lack of things to do and explore. I remember going from TS2 to TS3 and being exciting by all the new and interesting gameplay challenges. That is not the case in TS4. There is basically nothing to do at all. But like @stilljustme2‌ mentioned.. it's getting there.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • bonnstraxxbonnstraxx Posts: 102 Member
    It will be my first time playing, and I'm pretty excited! I've been reading the forums, though, and seeing all the mixed reviews, I'm ready to finally try it for myself and get my own opinion on it. I was more of a generational player in TS3, so I'm sure I'll miss toddlers, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind!
    tumblr_no8vxivBfl1s26dsio1_250_zpsh1ymw1es.gif
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    No, I have been playing it since it was released. At first it was on my old PC but it was too slow so I switched to my laptop and it is so much better. I am looking forward to seeing it on the big IMac screen though I hope it can match the laptop's performance.

@bonnstraxx, I am up to my fifth generation now in the same save and that is on a very long life-span. I have to admit, life is pretty good without toddlers. I thought I would miss them but the kids have so much to do now and are much more personable. I am rather dreading them being introduced as it will mean so much more work :)
  • RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    Have fun Mac simmers B)
  • chloerosiechloerosie Posts: 6 New Member
    *crosses fingers* Let's hope this one works out...I mean loading correctly and all. I'm so excited to finally play the game.
  • Ottie24Ottie24 Posts: 47 Member
    It won't be my first time either,I did a bootcamp on my macbook pro but I haven't played since October. I've been waiting for the mac release.