Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 on a mac

So the Sims 4 is coming on February 17 to mac! I have a 2012 macbook air with Intel HD 4000 graphics (1.8 GHZ Intel Core i5, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3). Now, I know they have released the minimum specifications for mac, but Intel HD 4000 graphics aren't on their. What I'm wandering is will I be able to run the Sims 4 on medium to high settings WITH LAPTOP MODE ON. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I think it will, Mac book air is a little iffy

MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 10 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better
    INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

you're fine with your graphics but your processor is low...
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    Ok thanks! But how would that affect me in game? Would there be just a bit more lag?
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    yeah, not sure how much but there will be lag.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited February 2015
    sorry integrated chip will eventually have issues with gaming, its just not designed for gaming.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2015
    +1 to previous responses. The 4000 will "play" the game in that you will be able to open the game, but performance won't be that great - and definitely not on medium to high settings. Combined with it being a Macbook Air, which is severely underpowered in every possible way in order to prolong battery life and keep the computer cool and quiet, a Macbook Air is a very poor choice for gaming. (For comparison, the average lightbulb uses more power than a MB Air.) The entire computer is simply not designed for the stresses of gaming - plain and simple. When you buy a Mac computer, you are not paying for performance. You are buying the design and experience of using a Mac.

You then also have the extremely slim housing that will not only fill up with heat instantly, but also hold the heat closer against the internal components.

The graphics chip will start to fail, which being in a laptop typically means buying an entirely new laptop. On a Mac product, it definitely means buying an entire new one. Between the cost of the new motherboard, and the labor for someone to actually get into the thing - since Macs are sealed like vaults - it's probably actually cheaper to just buy a new one than to have to pay for repairs. It's probably even cheaper still to buy a mid-range Windows desktop to use as a side computer, even if it is just for TS4.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    Ok thanks all for your input! I think I'll hold off on getting the game.
  • Options
    ThorburnThorburn Posts: 28 New Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > sorry integrated chip will eventually have issues with gaming, its just not designed for gaming.

What nonsense.

To answer the OP, obviously I can't test the Mac version as it isn't out yet, but on Windows HD 4000 won't really cut it for High Settings. It'll cope with Low-Medium or maybe Medium at the MacBook Air's native screen resolution.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Thorburn wrote: »
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > sorry integrated chip will eventually have issues with gaming, its just not designed for gaming.

What nonsense.

To answer the OP, obviously I can't test the Mac version as it isn't out yet, but on Windows HD 4000 won't really cut it for High Settings. It'll cope with Low-Medium or maybe Medium at the MacBook Air's native screen resolution.
    seriously? ok i see i do need to contact mods.