Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Marriage?

Ok, so every time my sims get married, They never change their last names to that of their partners....
Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but there are a lot of pages that I don't feel like searching through. If there already is a thread discussing this and when they're gonna fix it, please let me know. I would really like to know what's going on with this issue...

Thank you.

Comments

• RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    edited November 2014
    I believe it doesn't happen automatically like it did on previous games. This is the first Sims game I play but I saw some videos and other comments about it. You'd have to enable cheats and edit the last name in CAS
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    they forgot to do it when making the game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • DeboraKaeDeboraKae Posts: 176 Member
    To change Sims name do the following:
    testingcheats true (enter) then type in: cas.fulleditmode (enter) Exit the cheat bar then right click the sim and choose modify in CAS, all of the family will show at bottom left. Pick the one you want to change and go for it. Click name and fix that. Don't like a trait, fix it. big nose, correct it. full edit mode.. you are welcome.
  • JenJenGamingJenJenGaming Posts: 102 Member
    Will they ever fix the issue of last names changing when they get married? Or at least so you can chose to change them? I don't really like using cheats to edit things about sims.
  • Pensacola2010Pensacola2010 Posts: 229 Member
    I hope they fix it soon.
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    6a0120a95a88d5970b019b00faf4ac970d-800wi

I think you should have the option of picking who changes their last names or if they do change their last names.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    6a0120a95a88d5970b019b00faf4ac970d-800wi

I think you should have the option of picking who changes their last names or if they do change their last names.

Yeah I like how my aunt and uncle got married they hyphenated both of their last names.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I agree it should be an option -- I have one married couple where I let the wife keep her maiden name for professional reasons (she's a writer who also paints on the side). I also did a hyphenated name when my same-sex couple got hitched. I like having the options; all they have to do is add in a dialogue box like you get when a baby is born, where you can specify the household last name, and just exit if you want the names to stay as is. Or if you go with one option and want to change it later, have an interaction on the computer or phone.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Pensacola2010Pensacola2010 Posts: 229 Member
    An option would be best.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

You've always had that option of who changes it before.

I can't remember how it worked in 1 but in 2-3 whoever proposed was going to be the family name.

IRL I don't care about what names people keep or take but think children should get their father's last name because Y line genes tricky and X line genes are most commonly used for ancestry.

• Plumbobmad3Plumbobmad3 Posts: 153 Member
    > @MadameLee said:
    > they forgot to do it when making the game

Your comment made me burst out laughing, because that's probably what happened. They forgot. :')
    "I really ought to do something! ... though I am already in my pyjamas."

spider.gif

• JenJenGamingJenJenGaming Posts: 102 Member
    > @DarciTheFox said:
    > I think you should have the option of picking who changes their last names or if they do change their last names.

I totally agree. I wish my sims could just have the choice, cause most of the time, I like having the wife take her husbands last name, It's easier when the baby comes.... Lol
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I'm in favor of options — it's a good way to please just about everyone.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

You've always had that option of who changes it before.

I can't remember how it worked in 1 but in 2-3 whoever proposed was going to be the family name.

IRL I don't care about what names people keep or take but think children should get their father's last name because Y line genes tricky and X line genes are most commonly used for ancestry.

Actually in 3 I think it defaulted to a hyphenated name; younger partner first then older. So if Sally Smith was older than Jimmy Jones, they'd be the Jones-Smith family when they got married. One of the things I used NRaas Story Progression for was to change the default to the husband's name, because I tend to be a traditionalist; I left the hyphenated names for my same-sex couples to make it easy to tell them apart. B) That's why I think a dialog box right after the confetti drops would be the best result:
    Congratulations to the happy couple! The household last name is now: ____________________ (Cancel to keep current last names.)

Then add to the computer or phone a Name Change option, maybe charge a small fee like 25 Simoleons (since in Real Life you have to pay a fee for name changes); that would be good for divorced Sims who want to go back to their maiden names.

> @DarciTheFox said:<br />
    > I think you should have the option of picking who changes their last names or if they do change their last names.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I totally agree. I wish my sims could just have the choice, cause most of the time, I like having the wife take her husbands last name, It's easier when the baby comes.... Lol

Although I can see the possibility of a legacy family where the wife keeps her last name, then when the babies come all the boy babies get the dad's last name and all the girl babies get the mom's last name. If we ever get family trees :\ that could be an interesting twist. (Now I'm thinking of doing that with one of my future families...)
    I played a lot of a different TS3 then because it was always they who asked.

This isn't really that important, I say make it so that he/she who asks becomes the family name.

If you're soo "strong" that you can't be comfortable with that then change it with CAS IMO.

2qvqirr.jpg

I just like the idea of an option, because some families you might want to go traditional, other families you might want something different. And if your active Sim is female, then you're stuck until you go change it in CAS which is a bit of a hassle if you've got a lot of family (say you've got a woman with 2 kids marrying a man with 3 and decide to hyphenate the names to show the blended family). Some people don't want to have to use cheats to play their game, and let's face it, cas.fulleditmode is technically a cheat. (You also have to use that to add tattoos to born-in-game Sims, and that bugs me too.)
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    While I still think of it as a bug, I think in a more modern sense that people today keep their given last names.
    1FKDfKj.png
    (You also have to use that to add tattoos to born-in-game Sims, and that bugs me too.)

Yeah, I'm OK with having to use CAS to remove those dag nasty prison tattoos from Sims already in my hood.

That's no different than using CAS to change the name.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Ok, so every time my sims get married, They never change their last names to that of their partners.... <br />
    Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but there are a lot of pages that I don't feel like searching through. If there already is a thread discussing this and when they're gonna fix it, please let me know. I would really like to know what's going on with this issue...<br />
    <br />
    Thank you.

At first it really bothered me, but I actually prefer the choice now. No longer does one sim need to give up their name, if they don't want to! I did change one married couples' name, but I haven't done it since because I like how I can preserve both a matriarchy and a patriarchy in the same Dynasty (sort of like a Legacy). You can even pick the last name for each child individually. B)

Ultimately, I have to say this is an improvement, and a great step toward enabling players to create their own sim customs!!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    I want to have an option to have my sims change their last name :( I am used to seeing them take the last name after married.
    Still waiting for Toddlers...