Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Controversial Asus Ad Simmers aren't Hardcore?

2...Next

Comments

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    I don't get it. Why is being called a 'casual gamer' insulting?
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Sexist ad is sexist. Also they know nothing about the sims. Last time I checked we're all gamers. Not hard-core/what the plum ever.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    Munchy wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why is being called a 'casual gamer' insulting?

Because the term "casual gamer" is used by "hardcore" gamers as a derogatory term. I'm probably not eloquent enough to explain it well but here are some explanations on Urban Dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=casual gamer

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Hmmm... the more I think about the ad the stupider it seems to me. I ran across this little gem today while I was doing some research into getting a new gaming pc. Really, who would want to be pigeon holed into either one of their little stereotypes? I mean the hardcore gamer guy is depicted as being angry, slovenly, and having more money than good sense...

A while back I considered getting an Asus too as a secondary laptop. For reasons I can't remember, I turned it down and stuck with the Alienware I have now. I feel kinda happy I did at this point. And like of what you mentioned about the 'hardcore gamer' personality...i'll just say I think i'll take the causal gamer any day.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • clairakittyclairakitty Posts: 578 Member
    I'm pretty much just amused because I got the newest, most hardcore ASUS laptop specifically for Sims 3.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    tumblr_nd2tbaILWs1qidcj6o1_500.png

Oh, I came back to see if there was any discussion going on. Here is the ad in question, sorry I didn't have enough forum cred to post it before.

Is it just me or are the ones really laughing are Sims players on their ASUS computers? I know I constantly laugh at the casual gamers who think they can play the sims on their little notebook :p
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I can't figure out why they think sims players are casual gamers when we have to spend money buying powerful computers to run the game and have to learn about using Mods to fix the issues in the game that won't be fixed any other way.I spent about a year's worth of hairstylist visits on my laptop for TS3 so I would have a computer capable of running the game and I just wore out another mouse and had to use my spare and still need to replace the mouse to run the game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I find this quite funny. Yes I can see why some people are getting offended since it does appear that they are being s.exist and stereotyping girls as the casual gamers and boys as hardcore gamers. Personally, I don't believe in any one. There are no different kinds of gaming. It's just called normal gaming. Whether you spend thousands of dollars building the ultimate super gaming computer or you're still playing on a normal laptop. It doesn't matter. You're still as much of a gamer as the last person. I know plenty of guys who play the Sims and other life simulation type games and I know plenty of girls who play Skyrim or WoW. Heck, my sister and I spend many hours a day playing one of our Assassins Creed games. In short, it doesn't matter what kind of computer you have, what gender you are, or what games you like, all that matters is that we all enjoy playing games and that should be enough.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    What is the purpose of this ad? Are they trying to get one type of gamer to buy their computers over another or show that their computer is superior for all types of gamers? I think they made a mistake since they insulted both stereotyped groups. A better approach would have been something like this "No matter what types of games you play - MMOs or single players, 3rd person shooters or creative sandboxes - we've got what you need".
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Hm... Well, I kind of had to "spend a small fortune" on a new PC just to be able to play The Sims 3 as best as possible, and I even had it custom built (not by me, of course! I won't mess with that stuff lol), so that kind of messes with the claims of their ad. xD

Oh well... I don't even call myself a 'gamer'. It is not a title of which I would be able to feel proud of. Video games are a casual hobby of mine that I play to relax, and the instant they stop being relaxing, they are turned off.

I'm afraid anyone who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" is flat out laughable to me, and kind of need to get a life. lol
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2014
    cwaddell wrote: »
    What is the purpose of this ad? Are they trying to get one type of gamer to buy their computers over another or show that their computer is superior for all types of gamers? I think they made a mistake since they insulted both stereotyped groups. A better approach would have been something like this "No matter what types of games you play - MMOs or single players, 3rd person shooters or creative sandboxes - we've got what you need".

The llamas only know what they were about when they published this ad... I only know what it didn't do. Which, is of course, make me want to buy any of their products in the future. :p
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    I lolled at 'spending more than $5 on a game is a travesty; I'll wait for the clearance sale'.
    I guess they never heard of expansion packs and the Store I guess ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »

I don't think they're making fun of Sims players at all--I think they're making fun of those people we all run into who say stuff like "Oh the Sims, I played that once. I locked them all in the bathroom and made them pee themselves." Or one girl who told me her sims died because they couldn't pee--such a liar!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.