Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Controversial Asus Ad Simmers aren't Hardcore?

Have you guys seen the ad that Asus posted on twitter and then removed because people thought it was offensive? What do you think about it? Does it offend you? I'll admit I was a bit put off by it.

33.media.tumblr.com/360255cfa4136a6ac08fb791f8bac240/tumblr_nd2tbaILWs1qidcj6o1_500.png

Comments

• MizYayaMizYaya Posts: 45 Member
    Meh, big whatever mostly. Besides...I am old enough to punch them in the nether regions and claim senility >:)
  • bloodvioletbloodviolet Posts: 1,125 Member
    ;-) I wasn't up in arms angry when I saw it but it did annoy me, and frankly puzzle me. Kind of a what were they thinking sort of thing.
    edited October 2014
    Oh, looks like I'm finally a member of the community again. Can I post a link now?
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Labeling people as such, by itself, is already offensive. They shouldn't label us by the things we like. Everyone has different interests and opinions. I don't even know how they could even post it only to get removed afterwards.

The Sims series isn't a casual game. It's a CREATIVE game. They could play it in many ways as they please. Even the Sims 3 and 4 need a powerful computer as much as any "hardcore" games out there. Whoever posted that is completely wrong about this game.
  • CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    I don't see any issue, honestly the sims is viewed as a casual game whether the fans want to admit it or not. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is.

People are way to sensitive about this stuff. Who cares if someone views you as a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer, it makes no real difference in your life so just move on and don't worry about it.
    edited October 2014
    Celiria wrote: »
    I don't see any issue, honestly the sims is viewed as a casual game whether the fans want to admit it or not. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is.

People are way to sensitive about this stuff. Who cares if someone views you as a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer, it makes no real difference in your life so just move on and don't worry about it.

Being sensitive doesn't mean we could just ignore what is wrong. We'll do everything and would stand up for it just to prove that they are wrong until they realize it. I don't, however, mind being called a casual or a hardcore gamer. In fact, I'm a mixed of both. It's just that they don't have the right to call people stuff like that. Who are they to judge?

Jimil wrote: »

Being sensitive doesn't mean we could just ignore what is wrong. We'll do everything and would stand up for it just to prove that they are wrong until they realize it. I don't, however, mind being called a casual or a hardcore gamer. In fact, I'm a mixed of both. It's just that they don't have the right to call people stuff like that. Who are they to judge?

Wrong? Hate to break it to you but they aren't wrong. The Sims is considered a casual game by the industy, that's not wrong it's just a fact about the image of the series. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing it's just the truth of the matter.

Your also acting like they insulted us, they didn't. They made a statement based on the current view of hardcore vs casual gamers and aimed towards a certain type of gamer (primarily the type most likely to purchase a high level gaming computer which isn't the average sims player).

And once again, standing up is all well and good when it matters. Stand up against poverty, stand up for equal rights for gays and lesbians, stand up against domestic abuse. But standing up because someone called you a casual gamer isn't worth the effort because their statement means nothing. It doesn't affect your life, it doesn't change anything, and it simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of anything.
    Labeling people as such, by itself, is already offensive. They shouldn't label us by the things we like. Everyone has different interests and opinions. I don't even know how they could even post it only to get removed afterwards.

The Sims series isn't a casual game. It's a CREATIVE game. They could play it in many ways as they please. Even the Sims 3 and 4 need a powerful computer as much as any "hardcore" games out there. Whoever posted that is completely wrong about this game.

First off, creative games would generally fall under casual. Second, no you don't need a powerful computer to play the sims. I have been playing the sims 3 and currently the sims 4 on standard laptops. Nothing fancy, nothing that would even qualify as high end just a simply laptop. In fact in case you weren't aware the sims 4 was generally laughed at by many gamers because the specs they released were well below the standard. So once again, no you don't need a powerful computer for the sims, especially not in relation to many other games on the market.

Wrong? Hate to break it to you but they aren't wrong. The Sims is considered a casual game by the industy, that's not wrong it's just a fact about the image of the series. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing it's just the truth of the matter.

Your also acting like they insulted us, they didn't. They made a statement based on the current view of hardcore vs casual gamers and aimed towards a certain type of gamer (primarily the type most likely to purchase a high level gaming computer which isn't the average sims player).

And once again, standing up is all well and good when it matters. Stand up against poverty, stand up for equal rights for gays and lesbians, stand up against domestic abuse. But standing up because someone called you a casual gamer isn't worth the effort because their statement means nothing. It doesn't affect your life, it doesn't change anything, and it simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of anything.

I know it's for the sake of their marketing strategy. Knowing the demographics etc etc.

But yes they did insulted us. Just because we played The Sims games does that mean we're already a casual gamer? What they are wrong about is that labeled us in categories. I know it's the truth but they are not always right about that. Everything is not black and white. They just can't do that. I would hate to be labeled ever.

For that last part. Let's not go there right now. Though, I'm all up and I support every bit of that. I knew and experienced every single thing. But this thread isn't about those right now so just don't.

I am simply responding to this thread. It's not like I'm gonna start a protest or anything so just chill.
    tumblr_nd2tbaILWs1qidcj6o1_500.png

Oh, I came back to see if there was any discussion going on. Here is the ad in question, sorry I didn't have enough forum cred to post it before.

First off, creative games would generally fall under casual. Second, no you don't need a powerful computer to play the sims. I have been playing the sims 3 and currently the sims 4 on standard laptops. Nothing fancy, nothing that would even qualify as high end just a simply laptop. In fact in case you weren't aware the sims 4 was generally laughed at by many gamers because the specs they released were well below the standard. So once again, no you don't need a powerful computer for the sims, especially not in relation to many other games on the market.

You've probably never played TS3 on a 5 y/o desktop computer and suddenly played it on a new computer/laptop. I have, however, and I notice a huge difference. I played Skyrim on this laptop(and this is not a high end laptop) and it still plays smoothly than this game. Buying a new computer, more or less powerful than the other, is a huge factor for playing this game. Hardcore or not, they still needed to be played on a new laptop/computer.

Because of this, they made sure that the new installment would run smoothly than it's previous one.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Yeah, I saw that.

There are too many irritating stereotypes in that ad to count. Maybe The Sims is a series that has casual gameplay elements. But, just because a game includes casual gameplay, that doesn't mean that its players aren't "hardcore." Anyone who thinks that there's no such thing as a hardcore gamer who's also a simmer, or a hardcore sims player has never taken a look at the forums.

But, whatever. Now that gaming is so widespread, there is a drive to categorize and label gamers. Gaming is my main hobby and The Sims happens to be one of the many games that I enjoy. I don't really care if I'm "hardcore" or "casual" in someone else's eyes. I play games to make myself happy and no one else.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    You know, the whole add is insulting. LAN party. What about a beach party? Really?? I have been a gamer for a very long time. They're division is mind boggling. I played the Sims at the same time I was "hardcore" playing FPS and RPG's. Really? Asus? I have pulled all nighters on all 3 genres. Yup, I drink coffee, but I am more likely to have the remnants of pizza on my keyboard than potato chips. Quit with the stereotypes. And quit messing with my Sims...they know the Reaper.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    You know, the whole add is insulting. LAN party. What about a beach party? Really?? I have been a gamer for a very long time. They're division is mind boggling. I played the Sims at the same time I was "hardcore" playing FPS and RPG's. Really? Asus? I have pulled all nighters on all 3 genres. Yup, I drink coffee, but I am more likely to have the remnants of pizza on my keyboard than potato chips. Quit with the stereotypes. And quit messing with my Sims...they know the Reaper.

Not to mention the gender stereotyping. :neutral_face:

It's just a narrow-minded ad that reads like it was written a decade ago. "Oh, if you pull an all-nighter, you must be 'hardcore' like this guy here crushing his soda can and raging at his computer. If you wait for clearance sales and play the sims, you're totally 'casual' like this girl here, sipping on her drink." I mean, really. Get with the times.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Not to mention the gender stereotyping. :neutral_face:

It's just a narrow-minded ad that reads like it was written a decade ago. "Oh, if you pull an all-nighter, you must be 'hardcore' like this guy here crushing his soda can and raging at his computer. If you wait for clearance sales and play the sims, you're totally 'casual' like this girl here, sipping on her drink." I mean, really. Get with the times.

Exactly. Who on Earth did their market research? Who said, "Hey, this ad is great. Let's go with it?" It's kind of like the hardcore gamer male still living in his Mom's basement. It doesn't happen cuz Mom got wise and isn't spending her retirement on "his" gaming set up. Let's just flush this ad. It's ridiculous.
  • MizYayaMizYaya Posts: 45 Member
    > Exactly. Who on Earth did their market research? Who said, "Hey, this ad is great. Let's go with it?" It's kind of like the hardcore gamer male still living in his Mom's basement. It doesn't happen cuz Mom got wise and isn't spending her retirement on "his" gaming set up. Let's just flush this ad. It's ridiculous.

Well there is your answer.....people in marketing, not the brightest bulbs in the pack.....and I say that having a nephew pretty high up in the marketing field (yes, he is a twit).
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2014
    lol well i'll gladly take the label of 'casual' gamer. That's not really a problem to me. I leave the hardcore gaming to my Fiancee :blush:. I honestly don't think it's a big deal. Be it 'casual' or 'hardcore' we're 'generally' players. Isn't that all that matters?

Edit: That said...I DO find it offensive that it's a 'female' symbol as a 'casual gamer...It feels like their more targeting female players than 'causual' gamers in general.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • SirCumberbatchSirCumberbatch Posts: 377 Member
    I don't get offended often. But I see how the female one could be offensive, implying that the Sims is for casual gamers, and that female are more likely to be casual gamers than hardcore gamers. And that casual gamers don't crush soda cans.. Maybe it's just me. I get annoyed easily. And scared. I jumped the first time I saw a mummy in the game because I didn't want my sim to die.. And it caught me by suprise.
    tumblr_m4xgcv68oS1rogkjio1_500.gif
  • SirCumberbatchSirCumberbatch Posts: 377 Member
    Ooo, and the casual gamers and depicted as girly seeming. And friendly. But hardcore gamers are angered people who hold up crushed soda cans. And that they are very antisocial.
    tumblr_m4xgcv68oS1rogkjio1_500.gif
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    LOL! I had to laugh at their stereotyping. Since I started playing the Sims 3, I hardly ever play anything else. I spent a small fortune upgrading my computer so it would play the sims. I eat at my computer, so I sometimes have to get crumbs off my keyboard. I definitely have spent more than $5 on the Sims 3. And I often play all night long, if I can't sleep.

Really, that statement about never paying more than $5 for a game and mentioning the sims in the same list is just plain s'tupid. They obviously know nothing about simmers, and how much we spend on the game.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Why I should rip out my Asus motherboard and fling it at them. Here, try to dodge my Asus monitor too!
    Wait... I love my motherboard and monitor. :p

I will overlook the slight for now. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »
    Why I should rip out my Asus motherboard and fling it at them. Here, try to dodge my Asus monitor too!
    Wait... I love my motherboard and monitor. :p

I will overlook the slight for now. :#

;-) You made me laugh.

Hmmm... the more I think about the ad the stupider it seems to me. I ran across this little gem today while I was doing some research into getting a new gaming pc. Really, who would want to be pigeon holed into either one of their little stereotypes? I mean the hardcore gamer guy is depicted as being angry, slovenly, and having more money than good sense...
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Within the gaming community, "casual" used in distinction to "hard core" is pretty much a pejorative term, if not necessarily a term of abuse or a slur. I do think the distinction, and playing up the distinction, does far more harm to our communities than good. What is more useful is building on common ground as players who love the game, however we play it.

That said, the mentality is entrenched and, yes "The Sims" is pretty much synonymous with not being a "real" gamer, being a lightweight, being fluffy. Same sentiment in different words one might here from an aggressive player in an MMO who is denigrating your value as a player, "Go back to NeoPets, scrub!"

Yes, it gets said. Yes, it's ugly. Offensive? I don't know. I am a decent player of the games I play. But I don't vest a lot of self-esteem in being thought a "serious" gamer. The point of games to me are recreation. If I am starting to feel like they are work, I take a break. If that makes me a casual, then I am a casual. But I don't think it's helpful to be divisive over the difference.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    What IS offensive in that image is its sexist subtext. Casuals are girls - or men who play girly games (like the Sims). Um, just to note, I hear about the newest MMOs from my sister - and usually play them at her place before I buy them. Women game like guys - in all the different ways people play. Asserting differently is wrong, and it supports a gaming culture that hurts people.