Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Chief Operating Officer BLAMES CUSTOMERS, states they don't like change for classic games

Comments

• Options
    benz0sbenz0s Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh and I shared it with facebook too.... ;)
    !!!!!!!
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm a sharing kinda gal. You know so everyone that buys any EA games know what these folks are thinking of them and all that. :P
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014

8) Shared it with Twitter~ EA loves that place, wonder if they will still love it when the tweeting gets too much? lol :twisted:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    moo11x wrote:

8) Shared it with Twitter~ EA loves that place, wonder if they will still love it when the tweeting gets too much? lol :twisted:

I hate twitter but I shall share there as well. ;)
    Thanks for that idea...I love it! 8)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    moo11x wrote:

I have yet to embrace social media like that
    Maybe I should? :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    moo11x wrote:

I have yet to embrace social media like that
    Maybe I should? :lol:

If they want to embrace it to say things like they do, its time we embrace social media to share out thoughts on them. It's all about sharing ;)
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2014
    moo11x wrote:

I hate twitter but I shall share there as well. ;)
    Thanks for that idea...I love it! 8)

Why not tweet it at the gurus and see if they want to sign it? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    raybigbearraybigbear Posts: 369 Member
    edited July 2014
    To me this is just furthur proof that EA hasn't chaned one bit. It almost seem like they LOVE being voted worst company every year. :roll:
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited July 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    After the complete bombing of Dungeon Keeper and the poor reviews that it attained (42 on Metacritic Critics, 0.4 on Consumers) due to EA's business practices, EA's COO has responded and defended their business model

Sadly, he blames consumers for the faults in the game, stating that because we don't like it we're at fault for it
    Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.854198-Gamers-Uncomfortable-with-Change-Says-EAs-Peter-Moore

This was the discussion about some of the classic titles that EA publishes (like TS)
    I'm all for change, but I'm here for POSITIVE change in a Sims game, not something that is a 10 year regression

If EA wants to include changes, why not put up an annual poll for consumers to see what they want in the next iteration of the game? :?
    Also, stop blaming your customers, it's a REALLY great way to ensure they don't come back.

I guess they never got the message with winning the golden *** award twice, then?
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    After the complete bombing of Dungeon Keeper and the poor reviews that it attained (42 on Metacritic Critics, 0.4 on Consumers) due to EA's business practices, EA's COO has responded and defended their business model

Sadly, he blames consumers for the faults in the game, stating that because we don't like it we're at fault for it
    Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.854198-Gamers-Uncomfortable-with-Change-Says-EAs-Peter-Moore

This was the discussion about some of the classic titles that EA publishes (like TS)
    I'm all for change, but I'm here for POSITIVE change in a Sims game, not something that is a 10 year regression

If EA wants to include changes, why not put up an annual poll for consumers to see what they want in the next iteration of the game? :?
    Also, stop blaming your customers, it's a REALLY great way to ensure they don't come back.

I guess they never got the message with winning the golden *** award twice, then?

Third time's the charm?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Anavastia wrote:
    benz0s wrote:

Third time's the charm?

They must be going for a life time achievement for that award. Oh make sure you all share EA's love for its customers everywhere. I know I am. :twisted:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    raybigbear wrote:
    To me this is just furthur proof that EA hasn't chaned one bit. It almost seem like they LOVE being voted worst company every year. :roll:
    They're trying really hard to win it
    REALLY hard
  • Options
    Louise25213Louise25213 Posts: 199 Member
    edited July 2014
    He sounds like one of those people who sits at a mahogany desk, in a big leather chair and you can't see his face due to the cigarette smoke. That's how I picture him in my head. Basic business knowledge is to please the customer, without us there's no money. No Money no business. I know what the sims lacks now, it's passion and motivation. You can see it with the glitches within sims 3 that it was only half heartedly done. I hate the fact that a majority of good content would be on the online store, the prices were ridiculous for what you got. No wonder they are aiming for a younger target audience, kids can ask their parents to buy these things. However if the parents don't know much about the sims they may not know if it's value for money or not , so they just go yeah ok you've been a good kid, here you go. Same with sims 4 taking too many things out and charging higher prices.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    raybigbear wrote:
    They're trying really hard to win it
    REALLY hard

The want the life time achievement award for worst company in exsistance. They want it bad! :twisted:
  • Options
    leyna75leyna75 Posts: 127 Member
    edited July 2014
    I guess it was the customers fault EA won worst company as well..."well our customers and employees don't like the direction we are going in. The don't like half developed stories and the expensive content. We have to charge for the Chairs EP because we are living paycheck to paycheck and people really want their Sims to be able to sit down. They are willing to buy the Chair Ep but are we wrong for providing it for a fee. Having chairs was introduced in TS1 but because of our new engine, designing them was just to in-depth and we didn't have the time to really develop it. So as long as our customers continue to pay for basics, it is their fault...If you stop paying us and bring the gaming industry to its needs, you will get better games for less money. :evil:
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    EA is not falling. It's not even stumbling. EA is a very large company; The Sims could fall off the table and the Share-holders would never notice.

The Escapist article was misleading the content of the converation, leaving information out to render the meaning they sought. Realizing that most consumers are resistance to change is not the same as blaming them. The quote, "And all of these young people coming in, or God forbid, these old people coming into gaming," was sarcastic and not intended to insult mature players. However, mature players are more difficult to please as they have had enough gaming experience to know what they want from a game, therefore, they are harder to please.

EA has been on the cutting edge of game production for many years. There will always be changes, some of the new things may not work, and people will complain. Without industry leaders such as EA, we would still be playing board games. (or at the very most...slinging bananas over a skyscrapers. :P )
    You are correct, but still EA should not get too comfortable because if enough of their franchises fails it could affect EA. EA is not the only and not the oldest out there that may seem like it is putting out cutting edge games and I guess SimCity was cutting edge? Not!
    EA's revenue was down last year, and if they continue, it'll be down again this year
    This is one of the most anticipated franchises from EA and also one of their biggest cash cows, so you think they can afford to let this one crash and burn like SimCity?

Activision (another leader in the industry) took less profits in 2014 as well. This is a product global recessed economics. I saw nothing in EA's share-holder reports that suggested The Sims was a cash-cow. It wasn't even mentioned.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    benz0s wrote:
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    EA is not falling. It's not even stumbling. EA is a very large company; The Sims could fall off the table and the Share-holders would never notice.

The Escapist article was misleading the content of the converation, leaving information out to render the meaning they sought. Realizing that most consumers are resistance to change is not the same as blaming them. The quote, "And all of these young people coming in, or God forbid, these old people coming into gaming," was sarcastic and not intended to insult mature players. However, mature players are more difficult to please as they have had enough gaming experience to know what they want from a game, therefore, they are harder to please.

EA has been on the cutting edge of game production for many years. There will always be changes, some of the new things may not work, and people will complain. Without industry leaders such as EA, we would still be playing board games. (or at the very most...slinging bananas over a skyscrapers. :P )
    You are correct, but still EA should not get too comfortable because if enough of their franchises fails it could affect EA. EA is not the only and not the oldest out there that may seem like it is putting out cutting edge games and I guess SimCity was cutting edge? Not!
    EA's revenue was down last year, and if they continue, it'll be down again this year
    This is one of the most anticipated franchises from EA and also one of their biggest cash cows, so you think they can afford to let this one crash and burn like SimCity?

Activision (another leader in the industry) took less profits in 2014 as well. This is a product global recessed economics. I saw nothing in EA's share-holder reports that suggested The Sims was a cash-cow. It wasn't even mentioned.
    And Nintendo?
    Rockstar?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    leyna75 wrote:
    I guess it was the customers fault EA won worst company as well..."well our customers and employees don't like the direction we are going in. The don't like half developed stories and the expensive content. We have to charge for the Chairs EP because we are living paycheck to paycheck and people really want their Sims to be able to sit down. They are willing to buy the Chair Ep but are we wrong for providing it for a fee. Having chairs was introduced in TS1 but because of our new engine, designing them was just to in-depth and we didn't have the time to really develop it. So as long as our customers continue to pay for basics, it is their fault...If you stop paying us and bring the gaming industry to its needs, you will get better games for less money. :evil:
    How dare we not finance their $1,000,000 golden toilet?!
    How disrespectful of us
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited July 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    benz0s wrote:
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:

Likely because there was no major release for that time period (the had EP's but I don't count those as a major release), just a theory I don't know for sure. But the Sims is one of the top selling franchises of all time (not even just for EA, but gaming in general from my understanding), selling 175 million copies (according to a who knows how old wikipedia list. I know not the most accurate source, but it seems fairly reasonable). This year it has a major release though and the beginning of a new chance to collect not only base game profits, but DLC and EP profits. It's gotta hurt them if it tanks.

Plus again, it's failure would tarnish their image and could bring down sales in other franchises.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    gamekitten wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:

Cutting edge? Not in decades.

I agree.

And to Shadoza2:
    "Without industry leaders such as EA, we would still be playing board games. (or at the very most...slinging bananas over a skyscrapers. :P "

And EA isn't responsible for getting us off of board games. I remember because I was young then. EA could fall off the market and still there would be games and good games too.

Edited because my nails get in the way.

"Without industry leaders such as EA, we would still be playing board games." Using EA as an example for companies that take risks to advance the industry. I was never meaning for anyone to believe that EA has developed board games into the industry.

I'm not bashing you, btw, just sharing my thoughts, so I hope it's not comping off as 'bashing.

Industry leader? Size wise, they are up there, no question. Brought us out of some kind of gaming stone age? Not by a long shot. Independent programmers were creating, relative to the time, cutting edge entertainment on PCs (before that, on mainframes) long before electronic gaming was as popular as it is now. Cheap, powerful computers simply increased the potential market. As prices dropped on components, component makers competed with each other by trying to offer more bang for the buck. And programmers, eager to get their game's noticed, tried to push the envelop. Gamers responded.

In my opinion, EA, and those like them, were the result, not the cause, of the rise in popularity of computer/electronic gaming. They simply managed to make a lot of money doing it. If it weren't for consumer deciding to game, rather than 'sling bananas over skyscrapers', there'd be no EA.

I REALLY want to try slinging a banana over a skyscraper. Seriously, who would game when they could do that all day? Ok, I would, but my priorities are skewed. Have you ever done that (the slinging fruit off a skyscraper)? If so, share!

Ah, I was refering to a DOS game where a King Kong-like image threw a banana over a building that resembled the Empire State building. It was first computer game I encountered when learning DOS programing.

DOS eh? The old disk operating system. That certainly dates you (as well as me). Still, throwing actual fruit off of an actual skyscraper sounds fun.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    clogva1clogva1 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited July 2014
    rebekah512 wrote:
    Gamers do generally have strong reactions to change.

But that's not EA's problem here.

Their problem is they are chopping up their games, and charging a premium price for each piece, and then delivering a less than premium product.

That's what makes me so mad...all the nickel-and-diming! IF I choose to buy the Sims 4, it will ONLY be the base game. The price on the latest Sims - while I understand they must pay for all the developers, etc. - is ridiculous. Grrr.
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    If they want to embrace it to say things like they do, its time we embrace social media to share out thoughts on them. It's all about sharing

Hahaha we share because we care~ :wink: I hadn't been on twitter for over a year but I wanted to ask them 1 question which they still won't answer, so now I tweet the truth~ hehehe

Claire17 wrote:
    Why not tweet it at the gurus and see if they want to sign it? :mrgreen:

I should but they (8 gurus) still haven't written back to about Aliens... Guess you have to be a somebody or write something they can deal with to get a response :evil: going to tweet to more and if none of them reply then I will have to show them it things like that, that upset fans~

Edit: my phone wrote terry for ask? How is that even a possible word replacement lol :shock:
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm honestly trying to keep calm right now but in my mind I'm fuming!

If the CONSUMERS are not happy then NO ONE is happy.

We're gamers. I'll admit I don't neccesairly like change and eventually I learn to adapt. But sometimes a change is not always the best idea especially since it's been working for a long time. If it's not broken don't attempt to fix it. Or mess with it or tweak it in anyway.

Now if you somehow manage to enhance those features to make it fit better for the gameplay and to make the consumers happy they're going to want more and more until they don't know what to do with themselves till the next update or installment.

1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Added two more articles for variety
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Share EA's love for their customers...lets let everyone know especially since they were supposed to be all about the games....hahahaha..EA you're funny. :P