Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Removing specular layer has given CAS new life for me :-)

GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
I wanted to share something with you guys :-)

I've been using velocitygrass' Remove Stencils mod for some time now to get rid of silly stencils on build/buy objects. But a couple of weeks ago I was playing around in CAS with the other options the mod introduces. And you know that horrible, shiny, plastic texture some clothes have? Well, you can get rid of it! I've been pretty addicted to CAS ever since :-)

Here's one of my favourite dresses from the store.

Screenshot-14-1.jpg"width=640"

I love the shape and the channels and that pretty jewel at the neckline, but to me it's always looked a bit like plastic. Never mind though, because look what I did to it!

Screenshot-15.jpg"width=640"

Hooray! Now it actually looks like lovely soft fabric and is truly fit for the queen of the sim kingdom :-)

It's really amazing the different removing the specular layer can make. I'm finding myself even using and loving outfits I never cared for before!

The best thing about all this is that the mod is simply unlocking an option that already exists within the game - it's just that without the mod there is no interface to allow you to take control of this stuff. So my recolour of the dress is not CC, and it would still show up in people's game as I intended even if they do not have the mod installed.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that, if you're not opposed to mods, this is definitely worth exploring! If anyone who would prefer to stay mod free would really like the shiny plastic layer removed from a particular piece of clothing, I'd be happy to do it for them and upload it to my studio.

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com

Comments

• GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mikezumi wrote:
    This looks wonderful! :D

Glad you think so :mrgreen:
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2014
    I thought it was so wonderful I rushed off to Facebook to share the info with my friends. One of my friends already uses this mod but was unaware that it could be used in CAS. Thanks :D
    edited May 2014
    Haha, that's wonderful! I hope it is useful to lots of people :-)

I discovered it totally by accident a couple of weeks ago when I was messing around in CAS. It's changed my experience of styling my sims so much in that time that I thought I should spread the good news!

Btw, the cheat you enter is 'deco p' (i guess 's' was already taken by 'stencil').

The only other thing to know is that if you want to save the style or change the colour after you've applied the cheat, I find you have to click on something else then come back to what you were working on (or exit Create-a-Style and then go back in if there is nothing else to style), and only then save it or recolour it, otherwise the specular gets reapplied. It's a weird thing but easily worked around.

Happy Simming! xx
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2014
    I linked your thread so my friend will be able to see what the cheat is. Thanks :D
    edited May 2014
    ^Happy to help! :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    edited May 2014
    The new look of the fabric of the clothing looks very nice! :) The change by removing the layer makes such a nice difference to the look of the clothes! . Thankyou for sharing what you have found out with other simmers :)
  • yoursharona34yoursharona34 Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited May 2014
    Oh that is cool. The dress looks great after.
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    edited May 2014
    OH WOW!!! What a difference that mod makes to the dress! I don't know if there's any outfit I haven't used, but THANK YOU for sharing this with all of us, GC!! :mrgreen:
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Candygurl84Candygurl84 Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited May 2014
    that's cool. the dress looks much better!
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited May 2014
    I love what that Mod does to the clothes!!! I wish that they would just give us the option of turning on/off the specular layer! It would be nice, because sometimes you want it (I'm thinking Pleather!) ;) and sometimes it is just plain F.UGLY!!! LOL! Thanks for sharing your find! :)
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi, GC! Your dress looks AMAZING and this just makes me want this MOD even more. I am MOD-averse and don't currently have any in my game, but I have MOD-envy when I hear about all the great things they will do. If I didn't fear that I would wreck my game there are several (including this one) that I would already have.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Khala_OakeageKhala_Oakeage Posts: 235 Member
    edited May 2014
    That's great, such a difference! Thanks for sharing this info :)
  • duyguugudurduyguugudur Posts: 2,684 Member
    edited May 2014
    Ohhh soo awesome GC!! Amazing thing to discover as i also really dislike that plastic look :)

My i am really scared of mods so my game and comp is free of them.Not sure if i can use them too so i wanted to ask you,is it possible to remove that layer without mod?

How can i unlock it without mod? Is there any cheats for it?

Thank you for sharing this nice tips :lol:

Silly EA should have an option to get rid of that layer or at least they create some dresses without that layer ;)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mods done correctly add a lot to the game. The only challenge with mods is updates or patches by EA that change some coding used by the mod.

Most mods are simple enough to remove from the game when updates come out. You simply move the mods folder out and wait for confirmation from the modder that it still works with the new patch or needs an update.

There are a few mods that are core mods. Those affect the game play. When a new patch comes up, you must wait for a core mod to be updated for that patch before patching up. Or, you can create a "clean" sims 3 folder, patch up, and start playing fresh.

Thanks for sharing your find with everyone. Velocitygrass also has the mod for limiting memories that I love.
  • leep45508leep45508 Posts: 3,910 Member
    edited May 2014
    This is fantastic :D i hated that some clothes looked like they were wearing PVC XD thank you very much for sharing
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2014
    wow that dress looks so much better this way
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    edited May 2014
    I'm so happy this is something people are excited about! It really does make such a difference :D

My i am really scared of mods so my game and comp is free of them.Not sure if i can use them too so i wanted to ask you,is it possible to remove that layer without mod?

How can i unlock it without mod? Is there any cheats for it?

Unfortunately not, but if there's a particular item that seems very plastic to you and you would like to have the specular layer removed, I could do it for you in my game and upload it to my studio. I think you should still be able to change the colours in your game without the specular coming back.
    edited May 2014
    Hi, GC! Your dress looks AMAZING and this just makes me want this MOD even more. I am MOD-averse and don't currently have any in my game, but I have MOD-envy when I hear about all the great things they will do. If I didn't fear that I would wreck my game there are several (including this one) that I would already have.

Zoo

Thank you!

You should have your game however you feel most comfortable - if that means no mods, then of course that's your choice :-)

If you ever do decide to embrace the dark side and get into mods, there is really very little than go wrong. Just remember:

1. Back up the important stuff from your game before installing. But you're probably doing that already 8)

2. Read the creator's instructions. A very few mods require special steps to remove them, but that's normally clear from the description.

3. Ensure you're installing the correct version for your patch level. But if you get it wrong, it's unlikely to damage your game - you should just be able to take it out and put the right one in once you realise the problem.

4. This isn't really relevant any more, but if for some reason you are installing a new EP or patch, take your mods out while you do that.

Happy Simming!
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't really like MODS. But this is so amazing that it has definitely changed my mind. It is mind blowing how awesome that dress looks now. Huge difference.

Thank you for sharing.
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    I wanted to share something with you guys :-)

I've been using velocitygrass' Remove Stencils mod for some time now to get rid of silly stencils on build/buy objects. But a couple of weeks ago I was playing around in CAS with the other options the mod introduces. And you know that horrible, shiny, plastic texture some clothes have? Well, you can get rid of it! I've been pretty addicted to CAS ever since :-)

Here's one of my favourite dresses from the store.

Screenshot-14-1.jpg"width=640"

I love the shape and the channels and that pretty jewel at the neckline, but to me it's always looked a bit like plastic. Never mind though, because look what I did to it!

Screenshot-15.jpg"width=640"

Hooray! Now it actually looks like lovely soft fabric and is truly fit for the queen of the sim kingdom :-)

It's really amazing the different removing the specular layer can make. I'm finding myself even using and loving outfits I never cared for before!

The best thing about all this is that the mod is simply unlocking an option that already exists within the game - it's just that without the mod there is no interface to allow you to take control of this stuff. So my recolour of the dress is not CC, and it would still show up in people's game as I intended even if they do not have the mod installed.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that, if you're not opposed to mods, this is definitely worth exploring! If anyone who would prefer to stay mod free would really like the shiny plastic layer removed from a particular piece of clothing, I'd be happy to do it for them and upload it to my studio.

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:

Hi GreenCats,

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I have lots of Mods in my game but I have never added this one. Now I have seen the results in your pictures I am downloading it now. :thumbup:
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited May 2014
    Oh cool!

Don't use Mods (no exceptions 8) ) but it's definitely interesting to see :)

Sorry for a dumb question but what are stencils, on Build Buy Objects!? :| lol!

Thanks, ~YJ~
    edited May 2014
    YellowJane wrote:
    Oh cool!

Don't use Mods (no exceptions 8) ) but it's definitely interesting to see :)

Sorry for a dumb question but what are stencils, on Build Buy Objects!? :| lol!

Thanks, ~YJ~

Not dumb at all!

It's stuff like the detailing on this counter:

MTS_velocitygrass-1299069-remove_stencils.jpg"width=640"
    edited May 2014
    simhead70 wrote:
    I don't really like MODS. But this is so amazing that it has definitely changed my mind. It is mind blowing how awesome that dress looks now. Huge difference.

Thank you for sharing.
    Hi GreenCats,

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I have lots of Mods in my game but I have never added this one. Now I have seen the results in your pictures I am downloading it now. :thumbup:

That's great! I hope you have fun with it :)
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    edited May 2014
    Wow, what a difference! Thanks for sharing, this is amazing :D
    uzE2H1V.jpg